Rhinelander Chocolate Bunny American Stout - Minhas Craft Brewery

Rhinelander Chocolate Bunny American StoutRhinelander Chocolate Bunny American Stout

Minhas Craft Brewery visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Stout |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: biboergosum on 09-20-2011)

Texasfan549, Jan 12, 2012

kjkinsey, Jan 09, 2012
2.65/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This beer poured out as a deep black color with a thin tan colored head on top. The lacing and retention were minimal as they both faded away rather quickly. The smell of the beer gives off some light aromas of coffee and chocolate. There is also some roasted malt and a bit of funky yeast on the nose too. The taste of the beer was average at best... It had virtually no depth at all. There was roasted malts and coffee flavors upfront then it dropped off into basically just a tangy aftertaste that was a little confusing to me. The mouthfeel was watery and thin, it had a decent carbonation but really needed more body in order to be a stout in my opinion. Overall from what I had been hearing about Minhas, I expected much worse. This beer although not that good on any level still remained drinkable. Trish (tour guide and bartender) suggested that if the beer wasn't something we enjoyed that we should try adding some of the Cream Soda that Minhas makes. After adding that, this beer actually tasted a bit like a very thin version of Southern Tier's Creme Brulee Stout. It made a difference but still not the greatest beer out there. Glad I got to try it both ways.

Knapp85, Sep 28, 2012
3.13/5  rDev +2%

Served in a Walter Payton shaker pint glass.

Let's keep the chocolate love a-flowin'! This stuff pours a deep obsidian topped by a steadfast finger of tan foam. The nose comprises cocoa powder backed by a strong coffee-like roasted malt scent. Still pretty pleasant. The taste throws some artificial cocoa at me, then proceeds to bitter-ize it as the finish nears. When things finally end, an acrid bit of dusty bitterness remains, and not one that's all that close to dark chocolate bitterness, either: it's like bad coffee. Dammit...and to think things started off so well. The body is a light medium, with a very light moderate carbonation and a silky feel. Overall, an almost tasty brew, but one that goes awry when that pesky little thing called "taste" gets in the way. I should've known better than to think a Minhas-brewed beer could turn out well...

TMoney2591, Oct 22, 2012
2.58/5  rDev -16%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

The Minhas clan's foray into craft brewing, with a bit more effort this time, it would seem. This is made under the auspices of their shell company Rhinelander, but you wouldn't know it from the busy label on this sucker. 650ml bomber, which goes for $3.50 at the modest liquor store next door to my favorite workday donair shop.

This beer pours a solid black, with very slight caramel edges, and a fistful of puffy, foamy, kind of thin beige head, which leaves some decent broken swaths of painted lace around the glass as it settles. It smells fruity, combined with the plastic in which that fruit is sometimes kept, with some mild milk chocolate powder, and nondescript graininess. The taste is more chocolate than anything - the milky, candy bar sort, and some fruitcake-esque tangy character, that needs a validating sourness that it sorely lacks. As for malt and hops (you know, beer...), they are under there somewhere, but not willing to assert themselves for a better ID process. The carbonation is quite sedate, the body medium weight, somewhat creamy, but gritty at the same time - back of the pantry, forgotten chocolate syndrome. It finishes fairly off-dry, the chocolate additives in it for the long haul, aided and abetted by some lingering overripe black fruit.

Well, a better report card than usual, for Minhas and co., but the baby steps being taken here sure feel a lot like they just added chocolate syrup and fruit flavouring to one of their regular offerings. Now I know that's overstating things a tad, but that dead and dying thing character that's been perfected throughout their product line, can't help but pervade this hopeful next generation as well. And to answer the label's cutesy query: there is definitely beer in your chocolate...

biboergosum, Sep 21, 2011
2.63/5  rDev -14.3%
look: 5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours mahogany with 4 fingers of mocha colored head. Stellar head retention & lacing

S: Dark fruit, black currant, carob & cola

T: Cocoa & prunes, slight roasty notes up front, along with charred grains. More charred grains as this warms, prunes, cocoa & woody hop notes. Finishes dry, messy, &pruney

MF: Medium bodied, firm carbonation that flattens out as this warms. Gets real thin

A disjointed stout, not worth buying

russpowell, Nov 08, 2012
3.04/5  rDev -1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

purchased this from Half Time, enjoyed chilled in a goblet.

The color is black, clarity opaque with thick medium tan cap which collapses to a ring of tight beads. The lace sticks in strings to the glass. The smell is kind of vegetal and very roasty, but not exactly sweet with mild toasted bread aroma. The feel is not great a little too much roast/char and mild sweetness with a slightly slick feel with mild carbonation and semi-dry finish.

The flavor is not bad at first with some malt flavor which is roasted with a mild caramel sweetness in the background with some light vegetal tastes in the mid palate. The taste is not very chocolatey, but it is dry and herbal with some mild yeast accents which give a subtle fruitiness to the taste. Overall I guess this is not all bad, but it lacks what you are looking for most in a chocolate flavored stout which is chocolate taste- this doesn't have much stout in the flavor either really just roasted malt so I would definitely not buy this again.

Slatetank, Aug 25, 2013
1.93/5  rDev -37.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Oh no, this looked a bit strange and cheap looking, but I figured I'd give it a shot. With the current score, I'm really scared now.

Pours a darker colored fizzy 1/4 finger light head that fades fairly quickly too with a bit of lacing, over pitch black colored beer, no light coming through.

NOse bguytheeewwww, blech, uch, holy sh*t, i don't even think this can pass as beer. My nostrils are inflamed with the horrendousness of what I just breathed in. Tons and tons of corn stalk, just pure corn stalk starch, rotting stench of bread with 10 year old mold. I don't get any malt, any chocolate, any thing that might possibly resemble beer.

I'm so afraid to taste this thing, but I eventually have to, so here goes... holy shit, I just shivered with terrible taste, maybe quivered, this putrid rotting liquid. Corn feces and starch that was digested and turned into corn starch anal leakage. There aren't words to describe the horror I'm forcing my mouth to go through right now. Well, there is at least a hint of powdered fake chocolate in there, and a touch of off flavor bitterness. Oh GOD! When will it be over?!

Mouth is slimy and powdered chalky and just terrible, little carbonation, and somehow gritty and weird feeling.

I wonder if I can return this beer for just being so, so, so so bad, I can't even fathom how this could even be put out and called a beer. This is actually offensive, and I feel sorry for having to subject my septic system to it.

jlindros, Dec 25, 2012

XmnwildX12, Dec 09, 2013
3.51/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Transcribed from notes dtd Su, 14 July 2013

I had problems with my wireless internet, really with my home land line which I use for wireless internet and so the day became old-school pen-and-ink time as I really did not want to try and write my review through my phone. Needless to say, when my carrier tells me that they only have a skeleton staff on weekends and the problem will be fixed by 1900 h. on Monday, they are getting 86'd!

This was a real surprise in a recent box from my local, in-person trader, tone77. I always enjoy the bottles that he drops off as I know that I would not buy them myself, but I will never turn away beer. Many thanks!

From the bottle: "Stout Brewed with Cocoa Powder"; "Dark and silky rich stout loaded with chocolate flavor. Is there chocolate in my beer or beer in my chocolate?"

I admit, I was a little worried going into it when I read "Brewed and Bottled by Phinelander Brewing Company LLC Monroe, WI 53566" on the label as that spells MINHAS! "Open mind, Woodbo, open mind," as SKC (SW) Warner used to always exhort me.

I got a finger of deep-tan head with good retention just after sundown. Color was a deep, dark-brown with light penetration only at the edges. Nose was VERY chocolaty with a whiff of anise. Mouthfeel was thin for the style. The taste was curious as I got both a dark chocolate smokiness and an anise tartness, but there was also a graininess, like it had been over-saturated with cocoa powder. Finish was semi-dry and in addition to the chocolate smokiness, I got some dried, dark fruit flavors. Not really my style or my bag, but it was a fun, amusing drink and if that trips your trigger, then have at it!

woodychandler, Jul 16, 2013
3.9/5  rDev +27%

(Served in a nonic)

A- The black dense body has a thick cocoa head that last a good bit and has a nice gentle carbonation.

S- A touch of roasted bitterness to a smooth coffee malt aroma and some earthy black malt character. There is a chemical cleaner aroma that comes through as the beer opens up that is a bit off putting.

T- The fruity ester and softer cocoa note are mellow with a nice dark roasted malt dry finish. There is a touch of tartness in the finish that offers a nice balance.

M- The medium mouthfeel has a cleaning fizz that scrubs the finish.

O- This beer has a nice dry stout character that is very sessionable with a bit of depth. Not much chocolate nib character or American hop flavor but it doesn't need it.

rhoadsrage, Feb 20, 2012

Latarnik, May 24, 2014

THECPJ, Oct 13, 2012
3.03/5  rDev -1.3%

650ml bottle poured into pint glass 8/1/12

A pretty dark right out of the bottle with a short lived finger of mocha foam that leaves some random lace

S some fruity chocolate with a little sour milk, smoke and booze

T charred wood and lots of it, some leather and everything else I could smell, there's a little dark roasted coffee and cola on top of what I smell, the char is a little much and there's a sour fruity flavor I don't care for

M thin and foamy with a char aftertaste

O pretty basic stuff that's lacking body for something that looks that dark

worth the 3$ for 650ml that's about it

wordemupg, Jan 09, 2012
3.58/5  rDev +16.6%

Poured from a brown 22 oz. bottle. Has a black color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of chocolate, some sweetness. Taste is not bad, mild, a bit of chocolate, none of the flavors usually associated with a Minhas beer. Feels full bodied in the mouth and overall a solid beer, probably the best that I have had from this brewery.

tone77, Jan 09, 2013
3.75/5  rDev +22.1%

vfgccp, Jun 02, 2013
3.08/5  rDev +0.3%

22 ounce bottle. Served in a nonic pint glass, the beer pours dark brown/black with a half inch tan head. Head retention and lacing are both decent enough. The aroma is light, the beer smells like roasted and grainy malt, bittersweet chocolate and some coffee. Smells more like grain than it smells like chocolate. The brew tastes like slightly tart dark fruit, roasted malt, cola and a bit of chocolate. For a beer called Chocolate Bunny, I thought there would be a lot more chocolate noticeable. With that being said, it's not a bad brew. Mouthfeel/body is medium, it's a bit slick and creamy with moderate carbonation. For $2.99 a bomber, I can't complain too much.

bluejacket74, May 13, 2012
2.38/5  rDev -22.5%

A- Short lived mocha head on a dark brown/black beer. No lacing.

S- Good whiffs reveals an overly sweet chocolate scent...but you gotta get your nose in there deep.

T- Not much of the robust roasty flavor one would expect from a stout. Very small hint of chocolate. Aftertaste akin to acidic vomit D:

M- Medium to medium thin mouthfeel. Almost over-carbonated.

D/O- Had this Minhas offering right after my own stout homebrew and I don't mean to brag but my brew whooped the floor with Chocolate Bunny. That's not sayin' much though. I could go on and on about this stout but I think you get the picture.

Duff27, Nov 11, 2011

ROGUE16, Oct 03, 2013

Gagnonsux, Nov 29, 2013
3.25/5  rDev +5.9%

A: Very dark brown and almost fully opaque, with just a little light getting through around the edges. Forms a very small, cola-like head that dissipates to absolute nothingness rather quickly. Not even a hint of lacing.

S: The nose on this one is rather faint, but what is there is primarily chocolate with lesser notes of molasses, syrup, and vanilla.

T: Very mild taste of roasted malts, chocolate syrup, and coffee.

M: Medium, but feels thin and watery. Lower carbonation and a mild cocoa bitterness.

O: Well I do get some chocolate out of this one. Unfortunately, it's more along the lines of Hershey's syrup than actual chocolate, but it is what it is: a simplistic, easy drinking "chocolate-flavored" stout. At least the flavors are just thin; this beer could be a lot worse than it is.

Florida9, Jun 04, 2012
2.28/5  rDev -25.7%

Poured into a pint glass.

3.5 A: Black color. Two fingers of frothy light brown head. Retention is lacking, but a decent amount of lacing is left.

3.0 S: Light roastiness with cocoa powder. Smells good, but is boring. Lightly tangy.

2.0 T: Lightly roasty, cocoa powder, and cooked vegetables. It's bad, but it's not unthinkably horrid.

2.0 M: Super light body. Carbonation is right. Not creamy at all, just thin.

2.0 D: Again Minhas has disappointed. While this is better than the Imperial Jack, it's still something I'd never like to drink again.

DavoleBomb, Jul 07, 2012

malfunxion, Aug 07, 2014
3.5/5  rDev +14%

Gatordaddy, Jun 22, 2012
3.75/5  rDev +22.1%

For $2.99 for a bomber, I thought why not. Sounds good enough.

Solid brown tinted black with a nice head of java colored foam and some sticky lacing as well.

The nose is quite milk chocolatey, but it is a bit like the cheap chocolate bunny type milk chocolate. Some grainy malt scents, cola and root beer with just a hint of sour.

Not getting as much chocolate as I would like, but there is a nice dusty cocoa presence. I would say there is more roast to this than chocolate, but a pleasant flavor overall. A touch of coffee bean in there too. A little cola and cocoa on the finish.

Soft and nearly creamy feel, but the finish is dry and chalky. Light-medium body.

After looking at some of the reviews, I was a bit scared, but this isn't too shabby a beer. It drinks very easy and is an appropriate stab for the style. I don't know if I would get it again, but for the price, I'm not disappointed in the product.

jera1350, Mar 30, 2012