Rhinelander Chocolate Bunny American Stout - Minhas Craft Brewery

Rhinelander Chocolate Bunny American StoutRhinelander Chocolate Bunny American Stout

Minhas Craft Brewery visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Stout |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: biboergosum on 09-20-2011

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
2.68/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This beer poured out as a deep black color with a thin tan colored head on top. The lacing and retention were minimal as they both faded away rather quickly. The smell of the beer gives off some light aromas of coffee and chocolate. There is also some roasted malt and a bit of funky yeast on the nose too. The taste of the beer was average at best... It had virtually no depth at all. There was roasted malts and coffee flavors upfront then it dropped off into basically just a tangy aftertaste that was a little confusing to me. The mouthfeel was watery and thin, it had a decent carbonation but really needed more body in order to be a stout in my opinion. Overall from what I had been hearing about Minhas, I expected much worse. This beer although not that good on any level still remained drinkable. Trish (tour guide and bartender) suggested that if the beer wasn't something we enjoyed that we should try adding some of the Cream Soda that Minhas makes. After adding that, this beer actually tasted a bit like a very thin version of Southern Tier's Creme Brulee Stout. It made a difference but still not the greatest beer out there. Glad I got to try it both ways. (1,172 characters)

2.59/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

The Minhas clan's foray into craft brewing, with a bit more effort this time, it would seem. This is made under the auspices of their shell company Rhinelander, but you wouldn't know it from the busy label on this sucker. 650ml bomber, which goes for $3.50 at the modest liquor store next door to my favorite workday donair shop.

This beer pours a solid black, with very slight caramel edges, and a fistful of puffy, foamy, kind of thin beige head, which leaves some decent broken swaths of painted lace around the glass as it settles. It smells fruity, combined with the plastic in which that fruit is sometimes kept, with some mild milk chocolate powder, and nondescript graininess. The taste is more chocolate than anything - the milky, candy bar sort, and some fruitcake-esque tangy character, that needs a validating sourness that it sorely lacks. As for malt and hops (you know, beer...), they are under there somewhere, but not willing to assert themselves for a better ID process. The carbonation is quite sedate, the body medium weight, somewhat creamy, but gritty at the same time - back of the pantry, forgotten chocolate syndrome. It finishes fairly off-dry, the chocolate additives in it for the long haul, aided and abetted by some lingering overripe black fruit.

Well, a better report card than usual, for Minhas and co., but the baby steps being taken here sure feel a lot like they just added chocolate syrup and fruit flavouring to one of their regular offerings. Now I know that's overstating things a tad, but that dead and dying thing character that's been perfected throughout their product line, can't help but pervade this hopeful next generation as well. And to answer the label's cutesy query: there is definitely beer in your chocolate... (1,767 characters)

3.2/5  rDev +8.5%

Served in a Walter Payton shaker pint glass.

Let's keep the chocolate love a-flowin'! This stuff pours a deep obsidian topped by a steadfast finger of tan foam. The nose comprises cocoa powder backed by a strong coffee-like roasted malt scent. Still pretty pleasant. The taste throws some artificial cocoa at me, then proceeds to bitter-ize it as the finish nears. When things finally end, an acrid bit of dusty bitterness remains, and not one that's all that close to dark chocolate bitterness, either: it's like bad coffee. Dammit...and to think things started off so well. The body is a light medium, with a very light moderate carbonation and a silky feel. Overall, an almost tasty brew, but one that goes awry when that pesky little thing called "taste" gets in the way. I should've known better than to think a Minhas-brewed beer could turn out well... (859 characters)

1.92/5  rDev -34.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Oh no, this looked a bit strange and cheap looking, but I figured I'd give it a shot. With the current score, I'm really scared now.

Pours a darker colored fizzy 1/4 finger light head that fades fairly quickly too with a bit of lacing, over pitch black colored beer, no light coming through.

NOse bguytheeewwww, blech, uch, holy sh*t, i don't even think this can pass as beer. My nostrils are inflamed with the horrendousness of what I just breathed in. Tons and tons of corn stalk, just pure corn stalk starch, rotting stench of bread with 10 year old mold. I don't get any malt, any chocolate, any thing that might possibly resemble beer.

I'm so afraid to taste this thing, but I eventually have to, so here goes... holy shit, I just shivered with terrible taste, maybe quivered, this putrid rotting liquid. Corn feces and starch that was digested and turned into corn starch anal leakage. There aren't words to describe the horror I'm forcing my mouth to go through right now. Well, there is at least a hint of powdered fake chocolate in there, and a touch of off flavor bitterness. Oh GOD! When will it be over?!

Mouth is slimy and powdered chalky and just terrible, little carbonation, and somehow gritty and weird feeling.

I wonder if I can return this beer for just being so, so, so so bad, I can't even fathom how this could even be put out and called a beer. This is actually offensive, and I feel sorry for having to subject my septic system to it. (1,464 characters)

3.05/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

purchased this from Half Time, enjoyed chilled in a goblet.

The color is black, clarity opaque with thick medium tan cap which collapses to a ring of tight beads. The lace sticks in strings to the glass. The smell is kind of vegetal and very roasty, but not exactly sweet with mild toasted bread aroma. The feel is not great a little too much roast/char and mild sweetness with a slightly slick feel with mild carbonation and semi-dry finish.

The flavor is not bad at first with some malt flavor which is roasted with a mild caramel sweetness in the background with some light vegetal tastes in the mid palate. The taste is not very chocolatey, but it is dry and herbal with some mild yeast accents which give a subtle fruitiness to the taste. Overall I guess this is not all bad, but it lacks what you are looking for most in a chocolate flavored stout which is chocolate taste- this doesn't have much stout in the flavor either really just roasted malt so I would definitely not buy this again. (1,000 characters)

2.65/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours mahogany with 4 fingers of mocha colored head. Stellar head retention & lacing

S: Dark fruit, black currant, carob & cola

T: Cocoa & prunes, slight roasty notes up front, along with charred grains. More charred grains as this warms, prunes, cocoa & woody hop notes. Finishes dry, messy, &pruney

MF: Medium bodied, firm carbonation that flattens out as this warms. Gets real thin

A disjointed stout, not worth buying (426 characters)

3.53/5  rDev +19.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Transcribed from notes dtd Su, 14 July 2013

I had problems with my wireless internet, really with my home land line which I use for wireless internet and so the day became old-school pen-and-ink time as I really did not want to try and write my review through my phone. Needless to say, when my carrier tells me that they only have a skeleton staff on weekends and the problem will be fixed by 1900 h. on Monday, they are getting 86'd!

This was a real surprise in a recent box from my local, in-person trader, tone77. I always enjoy the bottles that he drops off as I know that I would not buy them myself, but I will never turn away beer. Many thanks!

From the bottle: "Stout Brewed with Cocoa Powder"; "Dark and silky rich stout loaded with chocolate flavor. Is there chocolate in my beer or beer in my chocolate?"

I admit, I was a little worried going into it when I read "Brewed and Bottled by Phinelander Brewing Company LLC Monroe, WI 53566" on the label as that spells MINHAS! "Open mind, Woodbo, open mind," as SKC (SW) Warner used to always exhort me.

I got a finger of deep-tan head with good retention just after sundown. Color was a deep, dark-brown with light penetration only at the edges. Nose was VERY chocolaty with a whiff of anise. Mouthfeel was thin for the style. The taste was curious as I got both a dark chocolate smokiness and an anise tartness, but there was also a graininess, like it had been over-saturated with cocoa powder. Finish was semi-dry and in addition to the chocolate smokiness, I got some dried, dark fruit flavors. Not really my style or my bag, but it was a fun, amusing drink and if that trips your trigger, then have at it! (1,674 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +31.5%

(Served in a nonic)

A- The black dense body has a thick cocoa head that last a good bit and has a nice gentle carbonation.

S- A touch of roasted bitterness to a smooth coffee malt aroma and some earthy black malt character. There is a chemical cleaner aroma that comes through as the beer opens up that is a bit off putting.

T- The fruity ester and softer cocoa note are mellow with a nice dark roasted malt dry finish. There is a touch of tartness in the finish that offers a nice balance.

M- The medium mouthfeel has a cleaning fizz that scrubs the finish.

O- This beer has a nice dry stout character that is very sessionable with a bit of depth. Not much chocolate nib character or American hop flavor but it doesn't need it. (734 characters)

2.42/5  rDev -18%

A- Short lived mocha head on a dark brown/black beer. No lacing.

S- Good whiffs reveals an overly sweet chocolate scent...but you gotta get your nose in there deep.

T- Not much of the robust roasty flavor one would expect from a stout. Very small hint of chocolate. Aftertaste akin to acidic vomit D:

M- Medium to medium thin mouthfeel. Almost over-carbonated.

D/O- Had this Minhas offering right after my own stout homebrew and I don't mean to brag but my brew whooped the floor with Chocolate Bunny. That's not sayin' much though. I could go on and on about this stout but I think you get the picture. (607 characters)

3.58/5  rDev +21.4%

Poured from a brown 22 oz. bottle. Has a black color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of chocolate, some sweetness. Taste is not bad, mild, a bit of chocolate, none of the flavors usually associated with a Minhas beer. Feels full bodied in the mouth and overall a solid beer, probably the best that I have had from this brewery. (326 characters)

3.03/5  rDev +2.7%

650ml bottle poured into pint glass 8/1/12

A pretty dark right out of the bottle with a short lived finger of mocha foam that leaves some random lace

S some fruity chocolate with a little sour milk, smoke and booze

T charred wood and lots of it, some leather and everything else I could smell, there's a little dark roasted coffee and cola on top of what I smell, the char is a little much and there's a sour fruity flavor I don't care for

M thin and foamy with a char aftertaste

O pretty basic stuff that's lacking body for something that looks that dark

worth the 3$ for 650ml that's about it (604 characters)

3.08/5  rDev +4.4%

22 ounce bottle. Served in a nonic pint glass, the beer pours dark brown/black with a half inch tan head. Head retention and lacing are both decent enough. The aroma is light, the beer smells like roasted and grainy malt, bittersweet chocolate and some coffee. Smells more like grain than it smells like chocolate. The brew tastes like slightly tart dark fruit, roasted malt, cola and a bit of chocolate. For a beer called Chocolate Bunny, I thought there would be a lot more chocolate noticeable. With that being said, it's not a bad brew. Mouthfeel/body is medium, it's a bit slick and creamy with moderate carbonation. For $2.99 a bomber, I can't complain too much. (668 characters)

3.73/5  rDev +26.4%

For $2.99 for a bomber, I thought why not. Sounds good enough.

Solid brown tinted black with a nice head of java colored foam and some sticky lacing as well.

The nose is quite milk chocolatey, but it is a bit like the cheap chocolate bunny type milk chocolate. Some grainy malt scents, cola and root beer with just a hint of sour.

Not getting as much chocolate as I would like, but there is a nice dusty cocoa presence. I would say there is more roast to this than chocolate, but a pleasant flavor overall. A touch of coffee bean in there too. A little cola and cocoa on the finish.

Soft and nearly creamy feel, but the finish is dry and chalky. Light-medium body.

After looking at some of the reviews, I was a bit scared, but this isn't too shabby a beer. It drinks very easy and is an appropriate stab for the style. I don't know if I would get it again, but for the price, I'm not disappointed in the product. (917 characters)

2.76/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

I picked up a bottle of Rhinelander Chocolate Bunny American Stout last week for $3.69 at the Beer Depot. I've never seen this beer before and I haven't had any Minhas beers before, but it was pretty cheap and I thought it was worth the risk, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks ok, it's a little cheesy looking and it isn't too eye catching. It poured a very dark brown color that was right on the border of being black and it didn't let any light come through with a finger and a half of darker tan head that died down to a thin ring that eventually faded away and it didn't leave any laving behind. This was a decent looking stout, but i wish it had some lacing.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the roasted malts being the first to show up with some pretty grainy and a little stale smelling malts with a light caramel like aroma with the chocolate showing up the most but it had a weird watery and cheap chocolate like aroma to it. Towards the end there's a real light coffee aroma. The aroma wasn't that great, it was pretty close to average but that weird chocolate aspect knocked it down a notch.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the roasted malts still being the first to show up and they impart all the same aspects that I got in the aroma with a little more of those grainy and stale aspects with that weird chocolate aspect still coming through the most and there's also a slight cocoa powder like flavor. On the finish comes a very light coffee flavor with pretty much no bitterness with a stale malt and weird chocolate aftertaste. This beer didn't taste that great, it had the same problems as the aroma.

M- Smooth, watery, a little crisp, on the very light side of being medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel wasn't good, the carbonation was ok, but it was very thin and watery.

Overall I thought this beer wasn't that great and I thought it was a below average example of a chocolate Stout, the two main problems were the stout base being too stale and watery and the chocolate aspect wasn't that enjoyable. This beer didn't have the best drinkability, it was smooth, but the flavors did not keep me wanting to drink it so one glass is a little more than enough for me. What I liked the most about this beer was the appearance, it looked fairly true to style. What I liked the least about this beer was the stout base and the chocolate aspect, they both need a good amount of work. I wouldn't buy this beer again, but I'm kind of glad I at least tried it, I didn't expect it to be that great anyway, but for $3.69 it wasn't a huge disappointment. I wouldn't recommend this beer. All in all this one just wasn't for me, the main thing I look for in the style needed some major work. This might be an old bottle, but with no bottling date I can't tell. This didn't make for a good first impression of Minhas. Better luck next time guys, this one needs some major work. (3,162 characters)

2.33/5  rDev -21%

Poured into a pint glass.

3.5 A: Black color. Two fingers of frothy light brown head. Retention is lacking, but a decent amount of lacing is left.

3.0 S: Light roastiness with cocoa powder. Smells good, but is boring. Lightly tangy.

2.0 T: Lightly roasty, cocoa powder, and cooked vegetables. It's bad, but it's not unthinkably horrid.

2.0 M: Super light body. Carbonation is right. Not creamy at all, just thin.

2.0 D: Again Minhas has disappointed. While this is better than the Imperial Jack, it's still something I'd never like to drink again. (552 characters)

3.27/5  rDev +10.8%

A: Very dark brown and almost fully opaque, with just a little light getting through around the edges. Forms a very small, cola-like head that dissipates to absolute nothingness rather quickly. Not even a hint of lacing.

S: The nose on this one is rather faint, but what is there is primarily chocolate with lesser notes of molasses, syrup, and vanilla.

T: Very mild taste of roasted malts, chocolate syrup, and coffee.

M: Medium, but feels thin and watery. Lower carbonation and a mild cocoa bitterness.

O: Well I do get some chocolate out of this one. Unfortunately, it's more along the lines of Hershey's syrup than actual chocolate, but it is what it is: a simplistic, easy drinking "chocolate-flavored" stout. At least the flavors are just thin; this beer could be a lot worse than it is. (801 characters)

3.79/5  rDev +28.5%

1 pint 6 ounce bottle
Served in a mug

A - It is black as a coal miner's lung. Even when held to a direct source, no light comes through. A vigorous pour yields only a couples inches of mocha head.

S - I smells like chocolate syrup. It's like Choklat's little brother.

T - At first I was disappointed. I was not getting a lot of flavor. As it warms, the chocolate starts to come out. I get some more of that chocolate syrup thing going. Once again, it reminds me of Choklat's little bro.

M - It is pretty thin for a stout. It is smooth with low carbonation, but I like my stouts thick.

O - This beer grew on me the more I drank. It has good flavor that comes out as it warms. It is super cheap and was worth the <$4 I paid for the bomber of it. (751 characters)

2.97/5  rDev +0.7%

One of the special draft offerings at Craft Beer Market in Calgary. No mention of the brewery on the menu...

This beer arrived a black liquid with a thin, tan colored head. Foam faded away quickly leaving no lace. Served very cold, so had to let it warm up a bit to coax more flavor out of it. The smell of the beer has the slightest aroma of coffee and chocolate, even as it warmed up the aromas did not get any better.
The taste of the beer was very average, left me wanting more. Some roasted malts but finished a bit acrid. No deep rich stout-like character. Smell, taste, body and mouthfeel were thin and watered down.
Very average when compared to Wild Rose Alberta Crude or St. Ambroise Oatmeal Stout (both of which they had available at the same time). (763 characters)

2.56/5  rDev -13.2%

A - impenetrable black with a thick thumb of mocha head that retained respectably
S - dark chocolate and roasty notes, bit of an artificial fruit syrup aroma, slightly grainy
T - definite big dark chocolate presence, a strong and somewhat overwhelming fruitiness, a strange plastic thing going on, slightly woody finish
M - low carbonation, starts smooth but quickly moves to a prickly tartness, chalky dry finish
O - I commend the 'damn good beer' folks for trying something, but this beer highlights the trouble with try to go from being a cheap piss beer producer to a craft brewer without any in between, this just doesn't work (631 characters)

3.14/5  rDev +6.4%

Picked this beauty up because they were selling if for $1.89. I will reuse the bottle which is probably worth a buck so I figure, "How bad can it be for 90 cents." When I sat down to drink it I had just had a Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout so the Bunny was up against it, tough act to follow. Oustanding looking beer, they nailed the appearance. But well, it goes downhill from there. Not the worst beer I have ever had, but certainly not good. Overall I am trying to decide if it will be worth another $1.89. (507 characters)

2.38/5  rDev -19.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

Chocolate Bunny pours an almost black color with a nice long lasting lacing head. There is a mellow cocoa powder aroma. The taste has a very cheap and granny backbone, with rotten corn like flavors, with just the tiniest amount of chocolate. Bad flavors. Overall there really isn't chocolate, and the rotten flavors really make it near undrinkable. (352 characters)

2.39/5  rDev -19%

Poured from a bomber into a snifter.

A- Pours a deep dark black. A very thin dark tan head forms upon pouring but almost instantly dissipates leaving behind a thin layer of white lacing in the middle of the beers surface and a ring around the edges of the glass.

S- Smell's very strongly of sweet cocoa chocolate. Has a bit of an alcoholic estheryness to it. There is also a faint sourness to the aroma somewhat reminiscent of red wine. Notes of caramel, bourbon, whiskey mash, and grapes are also present. In the beginning the aroma starts off sweet and ends somewhat sour. This is a very odd smelling stout.

T- Sweet yet bland with a chocolatey taste. Taste's very much like hot cocoa with a sweet start and a somewhat bitter finish. The taste makes it seem very much like flavor was added rather than formed naturally in this beer.

M- Feels very light for the style. very watery much like a dry stout. with light carbonation.

O- This beer was a very big disappointment. I really try hate people who bash beers due to their own particular tastes and so it makes me really uncomfortable when I have so many bad things to say about a beer like this. This is a beer that is dressed up very poorly to be like a stout, but is far from the real deal. However on a lighter note it is very easy to drink and would be sessionable if it came in 12oz bottle or better yet, cans. The price for this beer is very fitting because at 2.95, you really do get what you pay for. Don't get me wrong this beer is definitely enjoyable and much much better than your average American light and adjunct lager, but it is really just not good by average stout standers which is what it needs to be rated by. It really is one of the worst I have had in its style category. IF you hate dark beer but like trying new things then I would suggest you try this beer. (1,844 characters)

2.78/5  rDev -5.8%

22oz served into a snifter.

A - Pours very dark brown, almost completely opaque. 1 finger of brown head with average retention and decent lacing.

S - Big chocolate aroma, roasted malts, alcohol comes through with hints of berries and grapes.

T - Follows the nose but the chocolate seems very artificial tasting. Acidic fruit mixes with roasted malt and fruity chemical flavor.

M - Moderate prickly carbonation, medium feel.

This is heavy on the chocolate but the flavor seems artificial and the fruity chemical tartness only worsened as it warmed. $2.99 for a bomber is still not worth it. (595 characters)

2.45/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

This is not good.. It says on the bottle "is there chocolate in my beer or beer in my chocolate?".. I would argue that neither is the case.. Its a mishmash of off tastes and very thin mouthfeel.. Only saving grace is that its Easter and there's a bunny on the bottle (266 characters)

2.26/5  rDev -23.4%

Reviewed from notes.

A. Very nicely dark in appearance, two fingers of tan head that fell apart in about one minute, but left little lacing behind.
S. Smells like Hershey's chocolate syrup in there with, with a ghostly faint amount of roasted character hiding behind an odd plastic acridness. Not pleasant.
T. Tastes only a little bit less like Hershey's syrup than you would expect given the nose on it. Strangely alternates between too-sweet and sourness in the finish, I could swear I'm also tasting low levels of some kind of tannin. Needs a lot more roasted malt flavor than it presents.
M. On the thinner side of medium thickness, but texturally not nearly as creamy in body as I would have preferred in a chocolate stout. (729 characters)

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast