Rhinelander Chocolate Bunny American Stout - Minhas Craft Brewery

Rhinelander Chocolate Bunny American StoutRhinelander Chocolate Bunny American Stout

Minhas Craft Brewery visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Stout |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: biboergosum on 09-20-2011)
3.75/5  rDev +22.1%

For $2.99 for a bomber, I thought why not. Sounds good enough.

Solid brown tinted black with a nice head of java colored foam and some sticky lacing as well.

The nose is quite milk chocolatey, but it is a bit like the cheap chocolate bunny type milk chocolate. Some grainy malt scents, cola and root beer with just a hint of sour.

Not getting as much chocolate as I would like, but there is a nice dusty cocoa presence. I would say there is more roast to this than chocolate, but a pleasant flavor overall. A touch of coffee bean in there too. A little cola and cocoa on the finish.

Soft and nearly creamy feel, but the finish is dry and chalky. Light-medium body.

After looking at some of the reviews, I was a bit scared, but this isn't too shabby a beer. It drinks very easy and is an appropriate stab for the style. I don't know if I would get it again, but for the price, I'm not disappointed in the product.

2.75/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

I picked up a bottle of Rhinelander Chocolate Bunny American Stout last week for $3.69 at the Beer Depot. I've never seen this beer before and I haven't had any Minhas beers before, but it was pretty cheap and I thought it was worth the risk, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks ok, it's a little cheesy looking and it isn't too eye catching. It poured a very dark brown color that was right on the border of being black and it didn't let any light come through with a finger and a half of darker tan head that died down to a thin ring that eventually faded away and it didn't leave any laving behind. This was a decent looking stout, but i wish it had some lacing.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the roasted malts being the first to show up with some pretty grainy and a little stale smelling malts with a light caramel like aroma with the chocolate showing up the most but it had a weird watery and cheap chocolate like aroma to it. Towards the end there's a real light coffee aroma. The aroma wasn't that great, it was pretty close to average but that weird chocolate aspect knocked it down a notch.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the roasted malts still being the first to show up and they impart all the same aspects that I got in the aroma with a little more of those grainy and stale aspects with that weird chocolate aspect still coming through the most and there's also a slight cocoa powder like flavor. On the finish comes a very light coffee flavor with pretty much no bitterness with a stale malt and weird chocolate aftertaste. This beer didn't taste that great, it had the same problems as the aroma.

M- Smooth, watery, a little crisp, on the very light side of being medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel wasn't good, the carbonation was ok, but it was very thin and watery.

Overall I thought this beer wasn't that great and I thought it was a below average example of a chocolate Stout, the two main problems were the stout base being too stale and watery and the chocolate aspect wasn't that enjoyable. This beer didn't have the best drinkability, it was smooth, but the flavors did not keep me wanting to drink it so one glass is a little more than enough for me. What I liked the most about this beer was the appearance, it looked fairly true to style. What I liked the least about this beer was the stout base and the chocolate aspect, they both need a good amount of work. I wouldn't buy this beer again, but I'm kind of glad I at least tried it, I didn't expect it to be that great anyway, but for $3.69 it wasn't a huge disappointment. I wouldn't recommend this beer. All in all this one just wasn't for me, the main thing I look for in the style needed some major work. This might be an old bottle, but with no bottling date I can't tell. This didn't make for a good first impression of Minhas. Better luck next time guys, this one needs some major work.

3.79/5  rDev +23.5%

1 pint 6 ounce bottle
Served in a mug

A - It is black as a coal miner's lung. Even when held to a direct source, no light comes through. A vigorous pour yields only a couples inches of mocha head.

S - I smells like chocolate syrup. It's like Choklat's little brother.

T - At first I was disappointed. I was not getting a lot of flavor. As it warms, the chocolate starts to come out. I get some more of that chocolate syrup thing going. Once again, it reminds me of Choklat's little bro.

M - It is pretty thin for a stout. It is smooth with low carbonation, but I like my stouts thick.

O - This beer grew on me the more I drank. It has good flavor that comes out as it warms. It is super cheap and was worth the <$4 I paid for the bomber of it.

2.25/5  rDev -26.7%

2.98/5  rDev -2.9%

One of the special draft offerings at Craft Beer Market in Calgary. No mention of the brewery on the menu...

This beer arrived a black liquid with a thin, tan colored head. Foam faded away quickly leaving no lace. Served very cold, so had to let it warm up a bit to coax more flavor out of it. The smell of the beer has the slightest aroma of coffee and chocolate, even as it warmed up the aromas did not get any better.
The taste of the beer was very average, left me wanting more. Some roasted malts but finished a bit acrid. No deep rich stout-like character. Smell, taste, body and mouthfeel were thin and watered down.
Very average when compared to Wild Rose Alberta Crude or St. Ambroise Oatmeal Stout (both of which they had available at the same time).

2.5/5  rDev -18.6%

A - impenetrable black with a thick thumb of mocha head that retained respectably
S - dark chocolate and roasty notes, bit of an artificial fruit syrup aroma, slightly grainy
T - definite big dark chocolate presence, a strong and somewhat overwhelming fruitiness, a strange plastic thing going on, slightly woody finish
M - low carbonation, starts smooth but quickly moves to a prickly tartness, chalky dry finish
O - I commend the 'damn good beer' folks for trying something, but this beer highlights the trouble with try to go from being a cheap piss beer producer to a craft brewer without any in between, this just doesn't work

2.4/5  rDev -21.8%

Poured from a bomber into a snifter.

A- Pours a deep dark black. A very thin dark tan head forms upon pouring but almost instantly dissipates leaving behind a thin layer of white lacing in the middle of the beers surface and a ring around the edges of the glass.

S- Smell's very strongly of sweet cocoa chocolate. Has a bit of an alcoholic estheryness to it. There is also a faint sourness to the aroma somewhat reminiscent of red wine. Notes of caramel, bourbon, whiskey mash, and grapes are also present. In the beginning the aroma starts off sweet and ends somewhat sour. This is a very odd smelling stout.

T- Sweet yet bland with a chocolatey taste. Taste's very much like hot cocoa with a sweet start and a somewhat bitter finish. The taste makes it seem very much like flavor was added rather than formed naturally in this beer.

M- Feels very light for the style. very watery much like a dry stout. with light carbonation.

O- This beer was a very big disappointment. I really try hate people who bash beers due to their own particular tastes and so it makes me really uncomfortable when I have so many bad things to say about a beer like this. This is a beer that is dressed up very poorly to be like a stout, but is far from the real deal. However on a lighter note it is very easy to drink and would be sessionable if it came in 12oz bottle or better yet, cans. The price for this beer is very fitting because at 2.95, you really do get what you pay for. Don't get me wrong this beer is definitely enjoyable and much much better than your average American light and adjunct lager, but it is really just not good by average stout standers which is what it needs to be rated by. It really is one of the worst I have had in its style category. IF you hate dark beer but like trying new things then I would suggest you try this beer.

4.5/5  rDev +46.6%

2.7/5  rDev -12.1%

22oz served into a snifter.

A - Pours very dark brown, almost completely opaque. 1 finger of brown head with average retention and decent lacing.

S - Big chocolate aroma, roasted malts, alcohol comes through with hints of berries and grapes.

T - Follows the nose but the chocolate seems very artificial tasting. Acidic fruit mixes with roasted malt and fruity chemical flavor.

M - Moderate prickly carbonation, medium feel.

This is heavy on the chocolate but the flavor seems artificial and the fruity chemical tartness only worsened as it warmed. $2.99 for a bomber is still not worth it.

3.25/5  rDev +5.9%

3.11/5  rDev +1.3%

Picked this beauty up because they were selling if for $1.89. I will reuse the bottle which is probably worth a buck so I figure, "How bad can it be for 90 cents." When I sat down to drink it I had just had a Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout so the Bunny was up against it, tough act to follow. Oustanding looking beer, they nailed the appearance. But well, it goes downhill from there. Not the worst beer I have ever had, but certainly not good. Overall I am trying to decide if it will be worth another $1.89.

Rhinelander Chocolate Bunny American Stout from Minhas Craft Brewery