Rhinelander Chocolate Bunny American Stout - Minhas Craft Brewery

Rhinelander Chocolate Bunny American StoutRhinelander Chocolate Bunny American Stout

Minhas Craft Brewery visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Stout |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: biboergosum on 09-20-2011

first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last
2.45/5  rDev -17.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

This is not good.. It says on the bottle "is there chocolate in my beer or beer in my chocolate?".. I would argue that neither is the case.. Its a mishmash of off tastes and very thin mouthfeel.. Only saving grace is that its Easter and there's a bunny on the bottle (266 characters)

1.96/5  rDev -34.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.75

Fake cocoa powder, thin body (even for the ABV), off notes in the nose. Easily the worst stout I've had, wouldn't buy again even at a $1.49/bomber price point. (159 characters)

3.79/5  rDev +27.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

At 66 IBU this stout is a little different than most but it is still pretty tasty, and for 2.99 a bomber you really can't pass it up. I recommend at least giving this beer a try if you enjoy stouts and chocolate stouts. (220 characters)

This beer is all over the place, just so many faults. The worst of these is the horrible, cloying aftertaste that resembles vinegar mixed with cigarette butts. Avoid at any price. (179 characters)

3.14/5  rDev +5.4%

Picked this beauty up because they were selling if for $1.89. I will reuse the bottle which is probably worth a buck so I figure, "How bad can it be for 90 cents." When I sat down to drink it I had just had a Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout so the Bunny was up against it, tough act to follow. Oustanding looking beer, they nailed the appearance. But well, it goes downhill from there. Not the worst beer I have ever had, but certainly not good. Overall I am trying to decide if it will be worth another $1.89. (507 characters)

A: Pours a dull brown color without minor carbonation
S: Burnt chocolate, asphalt
T: Toasty, tangy, burnt nuts
M: Slight granular feel (cocoa powder?), light body
O: If somebody handed it to me I probably wouldn't refuse but I wouldn't go out of my way to get this beer; a little too burnt and thin for my taste. (312 characters)

2.16/5  rDev -27.5%

A: Pours with 3 fingers of bubbly tan head over a dark brown body. Head recedes slowly.

S: Slight cocoa and burnt.

T: The first sip was "woody". I got very little stout or chocolate flavor. It was surprising - not happy birthday surprise - like you have an STD surprise. The second sip was improved slightly - but still not enjoyable. I went for a third...

M: Very light and frothy feeling. Not a good mouth feel.

O: Between the taste and mouthfeel I just couldn't get into this one. I have to admit it is the first beer I didn't finish. (I only had a single bottle - I leave open the possibility that I got a bad one). I am not going to get another and find out. (667 characters)

2.76/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

I picked up a bottle of Rhinelander Chocolate Bunny American Stout last week for $3.69 at the Beer Depot. I've never seen this beer before and I haven't had any Minhas beers before, but it was pretty cheap and I thought it was worth the risk, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks ok, it's a little cheesy looking and it isn't too eye catching. It poured a very dark brown color that was right on the border of being black and it didn't let any light come through with a finger and a half of darker tan head that died down to a thin ring that eventually faded away and it didn't leave any laving behind. This was a decent looking stout, but i wish it had some lacing.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the roasted malts being the first to show up with some pretty grainy and a little stale smelling malts with a light caramel like aroma with the chocolate showing up the most but it had a weird watery and cheap chocolate like aroma to it. Towards the end there's a real light coffee aroma. The aroma wasn't that great, it was pretty close to average but that weird chocolate aspect knocked it down a notch.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the roasted malts still being the first to show up and they impart all the same aspects that I got in the aroma with a little more of those grainy and stale aspects with that weird chocolate aspect still coming through the most and there's also a slight cocoa powder like flavor. On the finish comes a very light coffee flavor with pretty much no bitterness with a stale malt and weird chocolate aftertaste. This beer didn't taste that great, it had the same problems as the aroma.

M- Smooth, watery, a little crisp, on the very light side of being medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel wasn't good, the carbonation was ok, but it was very thin and watery.

Overall I thought this beer wasn't that great and I thought it was a below average example of a chocolate Stout, the two main problems were the stout base being too stale and watery and the chocolate aspect wasn't that enjoyable. This beer didn't have the best drinkability, it was smooth, but the flavors did not keep me wanting to drink it so one glass is a little more than enough for me. What I liked the most about this beer was the appearance, it looked fairly true to style. What I liked the least about this beer was the stout base and the chocolate aspect, they both need a good amount of work. I wouldn't buy this beer again, but I'm kind of glad I at least tried it, I didn't expect it to be that great anyway, but for $3.69 it wasn't a huge disappointment. I wouldn't recommend this beer. All in all this one just wasn't for me, the main thing I look for in the style needed some major work. This might be an old bottle, but with no bottling date I can't tell. This didn't make for a good first impression of Minhas. Better luck next time guys, this one needs some major work. (3,162 characters)

2.05/5  rDev -31.2%

I've had a couple different chocolate stouts, and this one has easily been my least favorite. It was on sale at the craft beer store I usually go to so I thought I'd give it a try, but I can now see why it was so cheap for a 22-ounce bottle.

Appearance - Looked decent enough. Really dark with a nice dark tan head on it. Head dissipated really quickly though, and there was zero lacing, so after about 5 minutes the appearance wasn't particularly great either.

Smell - I got a lot more of hops in the aroma than I did in the beer itself. You can pick up a lot on the chocolate and it doesn't smell like particularly good chocolate.

Taste - Just not good. The chocolate is overpowering and like I mentioned before, it's not even a good chocolate flavor. A lot of nice, rich dark chocolate would be one thing, but this feels like they just dumped a lot of Hershey's Chocolate Milk Mix into the kettle.

Mouthfeel - Surprisingly thin for a stout. Very little carbonation, honestly a little flat feeling. It's possible I got a bad bottle (there wasn't a bottle date) but I'm not gonna risk it by buying more. (1,110 characters)

3.26/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Came in a 22-ounce bottle and chilled to 36 degrees in my beer cooler. Pours a pitch black with a 1-finger tan head that leaves good lacing when sipped. The aroma is of roasted malt and chocolate. Actually it is brewed with cocoa powder. The taste of chocolate hits you with the first sip along with a hint of caramel. Smooth overall with no harsh finish. Not a bad stout but should be a tad thicker. Overall it wasn't bad. (423 characters)

3.05/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

purchased this from Half Time, enjoyed chilled in a goblet.

The color is black, clarity opaque with thick medium tan cap which collapses to a ring of tight beads. The lace sticks in strings to the glass. The smell is kind of vegetal and very roasty, but not exactly sweet with mild toasted bread aroma. The feel is not great a little too much roast/char and mild sweetness with a slightly slick feel with mild carbonation and semi-dry finish.

The flavor is not bad at first with some malt flavor which is roasted with a mild caramel sweetness in the background with some light vegetal tastes in the mid palate. The taste is not very chocolatey, but it is dry and herbal with some mild yeast accents which give a subtle fruitiness to the taste. Overall I guess this is not all bad, but it lacks what you are looking for most in a chocolate flavored stout which is chocolate taste- this doesn't have much stout in the flavor either really just roasted malt so I would definitely not buy this again. (1,000 characters)

3.55/5  rDev +19.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Pours a pitch black with a creamy tan head. One of the darker beers I have seen.

Mainly smells of chocolate, there is also toffee and brown sugar.

Chocolate dominates, no surprise there. It is more a sweet type, with undertones of coffee to add some bitterness. Also hints of brown sugar.

Feel is a bit thin for the style, a beer like this should be thicker.

Not great, but better than I expected for the price. Usually I think of stouts as cool weather beers, but this one would be good on a hotter day. It goes down easy, and has a decent flavor, and isn't as filling as a heavier beer. Definitely worth a try at this price, just a decent beer at a good price. (666 characters)

3.53/5  rDev +18.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Transcribed from notes dtd Su, 14 July 2013

I had problems with my wireless internet, really with my home land line which I use for wireless internet and so the day became old-school pen-and-ink time as I really did not want to try and write my review through my phone. Needless to say, when my carrier tells me that they only have a skeleton staff on weekends and the problem will be fixed by 1900 h. on Monday, they are getting 86'd!

This was a real surprise in a recent box from my local, in-person trader, tone77. I always enjoy the bottles that he drops off as I know that I would not buy them myself, but I will never turn away beer. Many thanks!

From the bottle: "Stout Brewed with Cocoa Powder"; "Dark and silky rich stout loaded with chocolate flavor. Is there chocolate in my beer or beer in my chocolate?"

I admit, I was a little worried going into it when I read "Brewed and Bottled by Phinelander Brewing Company LLC Monroe, WI 53566" on the label as that spells MINHAS! "Open mind, Woodbo, open mind," as SKC (SW) Warner used to always exhort me.

I got a finger of deep-tan head with good retention just after sundown. Color was a deep, dark-brown with light penetration only at the edges. Nose was VERY chocolaty with a whiff of anise. Mouthfeel was thin for the style. The taste was curious as I got both a dark chocolate smokiness and an anise tartness, but there was also a graininess, like it had been over-saturated with cocoa powder. Finish was semi-dry and in addition to the chocolate smokiness, I got some dried, dark fruit flavors. Not really my style or my bag, but it was a fun, amusing drink and if that trips your trigger, then have at it! (1,674 characters)

4.21/5  rDev +41.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A= Black, with a half inch, tawny head of tight bubbles that recedes in a minute or two.
S= Roasted barley/coffee aroma with a touch of chocolate.
T=A bit of chocolate accompanying roasted barley flavor. Sweetness detected at the front and the middle, suggesting crystal malt, with a dry finish.
M=The bottle says silky, and I would say they nailed it. Lightly coats the mouth and lips.

This is a very nice chocolate stout. My own preference would be to dial the sweetness back a notch to see if it enhances drinkability. As is, it works as pleasant dessert beer. It might pair better with savory foods with less residual sweetness. If this beer came out of my homebrewery, I would be pretty pleased, because it is a hair's width away from being dialed in. (757 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +41.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

This stout is thick!!! Don't expect to drink more than one bomber without feeling full. It is def on the classic stout side but the cocoa overtones are super dense. It has a dark chocolate taste that turns a little bitter as I am accustomed to for stouts. Definantly leaves your mouth salivating for a chocolate rabbit. (319 characters)

3.79/5  rDev +27.2%

1 pint 6 ounce bottle
Served in a mug

A - It is black as a coal miner's lung. Even when held to a direct source, no light comes through. A vigorous pour yields only a couples inches of mocha head.

S - I smells like chocolate syrup. It's like Choklat's little brother.

T - At first I was disappointed. I was not getting a lot of flavor. As it warms, the chocolate starts to come out. I get some more of that chocolate syrup thing going. Once again, it reminds me of Choklat's little bro.

M - It is pretty thin for a stout. It is smooth with low carbonation, but I like my stouts thick.

O - This beer grew on me the more I drank. It has good flavor that comes out as it warms. It is super cheap and was worth the <$4 I paid for the bomber of it. (751 characters)

3.58/5  rDev +20.1%

Poured from a brown 22 oz. bottle. Has a black color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of chocolate, some sweetness. Taste is not bad, mild, a bit of chocolate, none of the flavors usually associated with a Minhas beer. Feels full bodied in the mouth and overall a solid beer, probably the best that I have had from this brewery. (326 characters)

2.42/5  rDev -18.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

As far as this beer goes, it was fine on most accounts other than being a beer. In essence it was carbonated water with a dash of barely and hopes and a hole hell of a lot of cocoa.

Appearance- A nice dark/opaque brown with a nice cocoa colored head, but no lacing.

Smell- The aroma was straight watery chocolate. It lacked any other smell.

Taste- Like mentioned above, it bares little resemblance to a beer and a lot of resemblance to Nesquick. I enjoyed the juvenile taste, but it was hardly the stout I was looking for.

Mouth feel- Like watery slime

Overall- I could see using this beer to convince people that say they don't like beer to open the door for them, but do not see myself drinking it again. (711 characters)

1.92/5  rDev -35.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Oh no, this looked a bit strange and cheap looking, but I figured I'd give it a shot. With the current score, I'm really scared now.

Pours a darker colored fizzy 1/4 finger light head that fades fairly quickly too with a bit of lacing, over pitch black colored beer, no light coming through.

NOse bguytheeewwww, blech, uch, holy sh*t, i don't even think this can pass as beer. My nostrils are inflamed with the horrendousness of what I just breathed in. Tons and tons of corn stalk, just pure corn stalk starch, rotting stench of bread with 10 year old mold. I don't get any malt, any chocolate, any thing that might possibly resemble beer.

I'm so afraid to taste this thing, but I eventually have to, so here goes... holy shit, I just shivered with terrible taste, maybe quivered, this putrid rotting liquid. Corn feces and starch that was digested and turned into corn starch anal leakage. There aren't words to describe the horror I'm forcing my mouth to go through right now. Well, there is at least a hint of powdered fake chocolate in there, and a touch of off flavor bitterness. Oh GOD! When will it be over?!

Mouth is slimy and powdered chalky and just terrible, little carbonation, and somehow gritty and weird feeling.

I wonder if I can return this beer for just being so, so, so so bad, I can't even fathom how this could even be put out and called a beer. This is actually offensive, and I feel sorry for having to subject my septic system to it. (1,464 characters)

2.78/5  rDev -6.7%

A- Dark, dark brown with a fluffy mocha tan 2 finger head. Very nice lacing and retention. Looks fantastic.

S- Name suits it well…lots of chocolate notes. Roasted malts and hints of coffee.

T- Once again, the chocolate reference suits it well. Lots of semi sweet chocolate and dark cocoa flavors. Has a nice smoky flavor that fades quickly into an acidified bitter…not of dark chocolate…but of bad coffee.

M- Medium bodied and chewy.

O- This is my first offering from Minhas and I was extremely impressed by the appearance. As the saying goes however, “Don’t judge a book by it’s cover.” The brew didn't live up to its looks. Has the potential to be a very good offering, but needs some work on improving the artificial chocolate flavors and chemical acidity of a bad coffee. Not the worst Stout, but has some room for improvement. (851 characters)

3.1/5  rDev +4%

Bottle: The aroma consists of milk chocolate, dark chocolate, vanilla, and a touch of roast. It pours a dark brown with some faint orange highlights and a small beige head. The flavor starts with a quick dose of sugary chocolate. The finish has some light roast and cream. It’s medium bodied with light-moderate carbonation. (326 characters)

2.65/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours mahogany with 4 fingers of mocha colored head. Stellar head retention & lacing

S: Dark fruit, black currant, carob & cola

T: Cocoa & prunes, slight roasty notes up front, along with charred grains. More charred grains as this warms, prunes, cocoa & woody hop notes. Finishes dry, messy, &pruney

MF: Medium bodied, firm carbonation that flattens out as this warms. Gets real thin

A disjointed stout, not worth buying (426 characters)

3.2/5  rDev +7.4%

Served in a Walter Payton shaker pint glass.

Let's keep the chocolate love a-flowin'! This stuff pours a deep obsidian topped by a steadfast finger of tan foam. The nose comprises cocoa powder backed by a strong coffee-like roasted malt scent. Still pretty pleasant. The taste throws some artificial cocoa at me, then proceeds to bitter-ize it as the finish nears. When things finally end, an acrid bit of dusty bitterness remains, and not one that's all that close to dark chocolate bitterness, either: it's like bad coffee. Dammit...and to think things started off so well. The body is a light medium, with a very light moderate carbonation and a silky feel. Overall, an almost tasty brew, but one that goes awry when that pesky little thing called "taste" gets in the way. I should've known better than to think a Minhas-brewed beer could turn out well... (859 characters)

2.97/5  rDev -0.3%

One of the special draft offerings at Craft Beer Market in Calgary. No mention of the brewery on the menu...

This beer arrived a black liquid with a thin, tan colored head. Foam faded away quickly leaving no lace. Served very cold, so had to let it warm up a bit to coax more flavor out of it. The smell of the beer has the slightest aroma of coffee and chocolate, even as it warmed up the aromas did not get any better.
The taste of the beer was very average, left me wanting more. Some roasted malts but finished a bit acrid. No deep rich stout-like character. Smell, taste, body and mouthfeel were thin and watered down.
Very average when compared to Wild Rose Alberta Crude or St. Ambroise Oatmeal Stout (both of which they had available at the same time). (763 characters)

2.68/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This beer poured out as a deep black color with a thin tan colored head on top. The lacing and retention were minimal as they both faded away rather quickly. The smell of the beer gives off some light aromas of coffee and chocolate. There is also some roasted malt and a bit of funky yeast on the nose too. The taste of the beer was average at best... It had virtually no depth at all. There was roasted malts and coffee flavors upfront then it dropped off into basically just a tangy aftertaste that was a little confusing to me. The mouthfeel was watery and thin, it had a decent carbonation but really needed more body in order to be a stout in my opinion. Overall from what I had been hearing about Minhas, I expected much worse. This beer although not that good on any level still remained drinkable. Trish (tour guide and bartender) suggested that if the beer wasn't something we enjoyed that we should try adding some of the Cream Soda that Minhas makes. After adding that, this beer actually tasted a bit like a very thin version of Southern Tier's Creme Brulee Stout. It made a difference but still not the greatest beer out there. Glad I got to try it both ways. (1,172 characters)

first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last