Rhinelander Chocolate Bunny American Stout - Minhas Craft Brewery

Rhinelander Chocolate Bunny American StoutRhinelander Chocolate Bunny American Stout

Minhas Craft Brewery visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Stout |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: biboergosum on 09-20-2011)
StoutHunter

2.75/5  rDev -10.7%

I picked up a bottle of Rhinelander Chocolate Bunny American Stout last week for $3.69 at the Beer Depot. I've never seen this beer before and I haven't had any Minhas beers before, but it was pretty cheap and I thought it was worth the risk, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks ok, it's a little cheesy looking and it isn't too eye catching. It poured a very dark brown color that was right on the border of being black and it didn't let any light come through with a finger and a half of darker tan head that died down to a thin ring that eventually faded away and it didn't leave any laving behind. This was a decent looking stout, but i wish it had some lacing.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the roasted malts being the first to show up with some pretty grainy and a little stale smelling malts with a light caramel like aroma with the chocolate showing up the most but it had a weird watery and cheap chocolate like aroma to it. Towards the end there's a real light coffee aroma. The aroma wasn't that great, it was pretty close to average but that weird chocolate aspect knocked it down a notch.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the roasted malts still being the first to show up and they impart all the same aspects that I got in the aroma with a little more of those grainy and stale aspects with that weird chocolate aspect still coming through the most and there's also a slight cocoa powder like flavor. On the finish comes a very light coffee flavor with pretty much no bitterness with a stale malt and weird chocolate aftertaste. This beer didn't taste that great, it had the same problems as the aroma.

M- Smooth, watery, a little crisp, on the very light side of being medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel wasn't good, the carbonation was ok, but it was very thin and watery.

Overall I thought this beer wasn't that great and I thought it was a below average example of a chocolate Stout, the two main problems were the stout base being too stale and watery and the chocolate aspect wasn't that enjoyable. This beer didn't have the best drinkability, it was smooth, but the flavors did not keep me wanting to drink it so one glass is a little more than enough for me. What I liked the most about this beer was the appearance, it looked fairly true to style. What I liked the least about this beer was the stout base and the chocolate aspect, they both need a good amount of work. I wouldn't buy this beer again, but I'm kind of glad I at least tried it, I didn't expect it to be that great anyway, but for $3.69 it wasn't a huge disappointment. I wouldn't recommend this beer. All in all this one just wasn't for me, the main thing I look for in the style needed some major work. This might be an old bottle, but with no bottling date I can't tell. This didn't make for a good first impression of Minhas. Better luck next time guys, this one needs some major work.

02-04-2014 00:45:36 | More by StoutHunter
WyethBednar

1.98/5  rDev -35.7%

I've had a couple different chocolate stouts, and this one has easily been my least favorite. It was on sale at the craft beer store I usually go to so I thought I'd give it a try, but I can now see why it was so cheap for a 22-ounce bottle.

Appearance - Looked decent enough. Really dark with a nice dark tan head on it. Head dissipated really quickly though, and there was zero lacing, so after about 5 minutes the appearance wasn't particularly great either.

Smell - I got a lot more of hops in the aroma than I did in the beer itself. You can pick up a lot on the chocolate and it doesn't smell like particularly good chocolate.

Taste - Just not good. The chocolate is overpowering and like I mentioned before, it's not even a good chocolate flavor. A lot of nice, rich dark chocolate would be one thing, but this feels like they just dumped a lot of Hershey's Chocolate Milk Mix into the kettle.

Mouthfeel - Surprisingly thin for a stout. Very little carbonation, honestly a little flat feeling. It's possible I got a bad bottle (there wasn't a bottle date) but I'm not gonna risk it by buying more.

02-03-2014 16:58:07 | More by WyethBednar

09-02-2013 13:30:04 | More by TonyY
BeerWithMike

Nebraska

3.26/5  rDev +5.8%

Came in a 22-ounce bottle and chilled to 36 degrees in my beer cooler. Pours a pitch black with a 1-finger tan head that leaves good lacing when sipped. The aroma is of roasted malt and chocolate. Actually it is brewed with cocoa powder. The taste of chocolate hits you with the first sip along with a hint of caramel. Smooth overall with no harsh finish. Not a bad stout but should be a tad thicker. Overall it wasn't bad.

08-29-2013 17:11:34 | More by BeerWithMike
Slatetank

3.04/5  rDev -1.3%

purchased this from Half Time, enjoyed chilled in a goblet.

The color is black, clarity opaque with thick medium tan cap which collapses to a ring of tight beads. The lace sticks in strings to the glass. The smell is kind of vegetal and very roasty, but not exactly sweet with mild toasted bread aroma. The feel is not great a little too much roast/char and mild sweetness with a slightly slick feel with mild carbonation and semi-dry finish.

The flavor is not bad at first with some malt flavor which is roasted with a mild caramel sweetness in the background with some light vegetal tastes in the mid palate. The taste is not very chocolatey, but it is dry and herbal with some mild yeast accents which give a subtle fruitiness to the taste. Overall I guess this is not all bad, but it lacks what you are looking for most in a chocolate flavored stout which is chocolate taste- this doesn't have much stout in the flavor either really just roasted malt so I would definitely not buy this again.

08-24-2013 23:24:54 | More by Slatetank
harrylee773

08-24-2013 01:51:44 | More by harrylee773
RoninBirdman

Oklahoma

08-20-2013 18:40:42 | More by RoninBirdman
Vixie

3.54/5  rDev +14.9%

Pours a pitch black with a creamy tan head. One of the darker beers I have seen.

Mainly smells of chocolate, there is also toffee and brown sugar.

Chocolate dominates, no surprise there. It is more a sweet type, with undertones of coffee to add some bitterness. Also hints of brown sugar.

Feel is a bit thin for the style, a beer like this should be thicker.

Not great, but better than I expected for the price. Usually I think of stouts as cool weather beers, but this one would be good on a hotter day. It goes down easy, and has a decent flavor, and isn't as filling as a heavier beer. Definitely worth a try at this price, just a decent beer at a good price.

07-30-2013 00:16:26 | More by Vixie

07-17-2013 01:08:44 | More by jcubz
woodychandler

3.51/5  rDev +14%

Transcribed from notes dtd Su, 14 July 2013

I had problems with my wireless internet, really with my home land line which I use for wireless internet and so the day became old-school pen-and-ink time as I really did not want to try and write my review through my phone. Needless to say, when my carrier tells me that they only have a skeleton staff on weekends and the problem will be fixed by 1900 h. on Monday, they are getting 86'd!

This was a real surprise in a recent box from my local, in-person trader, tone77. I always enjoy the bottles that he drops off as I know that I would not buy them myself, but I will never turn away beer. Many thanks!

From the bottle: "Stout Brewed with Cocoa Powder"; "Dark and silky rich stout loaded with chocolate flavor. Is there chocolate in my beer or beer in my chocolate?"

I admit, I was a little worried going into it when I read "Brewed and Bottled by Phinelander Brewing Company LLC Monroe, WI 53566" on the label as that spells MINHAS! "Open mind, Woodbo, open mind," as SKC (SW) Warner used to always exhort me.

I got a finger of deep-tan head with good retention just after sundown. Color was a deep, dark-brown with light penetration only at the edges. Nose was VERY chocolaty with a whiff of anise. Mouthfeel was thin for the style. The taste was curious as I got both a dark chocolate smokiness and an anise tartness, but there was also a graininess, like it had been over-saturated with cocoa powder. Finish was semi-dry and in addition to the chocolate smokiness, I got some dried, dark fruit flavors. Not really my style or my bag, but it was a fun, amusing drink and if that trips your trigger, then have at it!

07-16-2013 21:11:53 | More by woodychandler