Imperial Jack - Minhas Craft Brewery

Imperial JackImperial Jack

poor

Minhas Craft Brewery visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

(Beer added by: biggred1 on 09-27-2011)
2.92/5  rDev +14.5%

LostandBound, Saturday at 12:17 AM
3.04/5  rDev +19.2%

GeePee, Aug 31, 2014
4.5/5  rDev +76.5%

jeremy219, Aug 30, 2014
1.3/5  rDev -49%

From notes on 10/27/13

Boatwain Double IPA from Trader Joes. Pours the color of bright orange yellow. Not much smell, but what smell there is isn't pleasant. Not really hoppy at all. Kind of a rust taste. Easily the worst pale ale I've ever had. But paid $2 for a 22 once bottle, so can’t expect much.

kkleu357, Aug 28, 2014

tlema1, Jul 18, 2014

Oidmoe, Jul 14, 2014
1.85/5  rDev -27.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.25

Wow, I'm not really sure why this was called a double IPA. The brewery needs to look up what a double IPA.
It's a amber color, it says the IBU are 75 I don't think so. I could not find a brew date on it anywhere so I assume it was fresh.
I wasted $12.00 for the six pack

Sodamhwf, Jul 12, 2014
1.63/5  rDev -36.1%

I purchased this for 2 bucks and change for a bomber which should have been a good clue that this is terrible. Pours an amber color with a white head that dissipates quickly. Double ipa? The smell is only malt and sulfur. The taste is that of a maltier rhinelander export lager. This is garbage. This should be labeled malt liquor. Rhinelander, be embarrassed. This is awful.

Greggy, Jun 11, 2014

skinnycox, Apr 07, 2014

LJWalker, Mar 21, 2014

sjjn, Mar 13, 2014
3.76/5  rDev +47.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Picked this up for $2.50 for a 22, thinking, "how bad can it be." Not much on appearance, kinda thin looking with little head. Smell was surprisingly weak for an IPA, where is that wonderful smell? However, does not smell bad, just not what I was expecting so I had to adjust my expectations. Taste was also odd, again, did not have the IPA taste. Confusing because it was not what I expected but not bad. After getting past the idea of this being an IPA and just looking at it as a beer it is not bad. Easy to drink and rather tasty, does not come across as 8.5%. Overall it gets bonus points for ABV and cost. Will probably pick up a few more of these as a value buy for quantity over quality days. If you are looking for a good cheap beer, winner. If you are looking for a good IPA, pass it by.

JamieDuncan, Mar 08, 2014
1.28/5  rDev -49.8%

22 oz bottle into a Chimay goblet.

A: Pours a semi-hazy amber color. The head is a finger high, off-white in shade, and VERY fluffy soft. Retention isn't very good, though. Having said that, it leaves some lacing on the glass. Well...um...it looks like a DIPA.

S: Hops? What's that? Could have fooled me thinking this was well-hopped...or any kind of hopped, really. Honestly, it smells like a fuckin' malt liquor. Cereal grains, cheap white wine, and lots of sweetness are the order of the day. If my name was Pablo or DeAndre, I'd probably like this a lot. If it was in a 40, ditto. Too bad neither of those things are true, so FAIL.

(I apologize to all craft beer enthusiasts named Pablo or DeAndre. Seriously, racial stereotyping is amusing in small doses, but can quickly turn ugly, especially if it happens on the internets. Wait...)

T: Oh god, this might be even worse. The best descriptor I can use is "subpar malt liquor meets horrible imperial amber ale." There is a touch of sweet caramel to start, which quickly turns into cheap white wine and cheap cereal grains. I'm also getting notes of sweat socks, cardboard, and plastic. There isn't a hint of hoppiness anywhere to be found. It doesn't even succeed as a malt liquor: I'd much rather go for Steel Reserve or Natty Daddy over this.

M: It's heavy, sweet, and highly carbonated. Kind of like a malt liquor, really. This kind of sweetness is absolutely unacceptable in a DIPA - it makes ST Unearthly look like a bone-dry, 4% blonde ale.

O: I love how the bottle top said "craft beer", as if it was soullessly harping on the fact that "yes, we're just like Sierra Nevada, and really cheap, too!", preferably in a Hindi accent. It resembles a proper craft DIPA much in the same way I resemble Idris Elba. Sure, we're both human beings, both male, and that's where the similarities end. This beer has set a record: not only is it my lowest scored DIPA (by a HUGE margin), but it has the lowest ratio of portion drunk to portion drainpoured. I just can't do it, especially when I know how sloppily manufactured its 'craftyness' is. $3 for this horrid DIPA facsimile is about $10 too much. It's so bad, in fact, I'm close to having a BSOD moment and I don't want to default back to Cliff Richard's settingsss--

ONCE IN EVERY LIFE TIME
THERE COMES A LOVE LIKE THIS
OH I NEED YOU, YOU NEED ME
OH MY DARLING CAN'T YOU SEE
WE'RE THE YOUNG ONES

ThisWangsChung, Mar 02, 2014

fredmugs, Feb 16, 2014
4.58/5  rDev +79.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This is not a DIPA.

That being said, I'm going to review this beer as a mystery beer. No prejudices, no standards. Just straight experience of the brew itself.

Very pleasant scent. Malt, pleasant, but very malty. Has a earthy tone, and the hops are there, but you are left wondering where the rest are...

The taste, phenomenal. You cannot tell that this is 8.5 % alcohol, or 75 IBUS for that matter (which I find unsettling). If you're a hop head, steer clear. If you want something to drink while you watch the game, this is perfect. Leaves your mouth desiring another gulp or two to really get to know it's nature. Just different! Mysterious, this brew has an identity crisis.

This is the smoothest IPA or DIPA or WHATEVER it is (not sure because of the smoothness and decision for it to remain unlabeled) I have ever had. I literally am in love with this mystery brew. $3.99 for a pint bottle at the liquor store. This is my go to cheap good tasting beer. There is a slight bitterness, but honestly, this is a very easy drinking beer. I would highly recommend this to anyone who doesn't judge a beer by what the label says, but purely by it's flavor and mouthfeel. Damn good, would buy again, and am on bottle number 2.

the3rdtriumph, Jan 19, 2014