Imperial Jack - Minhas Craft Brewery

to view more.
Ratings: 148 | Reviews: 55
3.56/5  rDev +37.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Not great but very good. Enjoyable beer, worth more than one try.

1.9/5  rDev -26.6%

The 7/11 of beer Nuffield said

3.42/5  rDev +32%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I saw this and I figured I would give it a try.

A - Light orange color with course white head. Good lacing. Slight hop haze.

S - Nice citrus hop nose. Light malt and grain smell after the hops.

T - Nice citrus hops. Complimenting malt flavor. Balanced and crisp. Distinct hop bitterness.

M - Lighter to moderate mouth-feel. Has some bitterness and the carbonation seems to lighten the body.

Overall, a fine IPA. Definitely not a "Double" IPA. There is a hop forward profile but not enough to give it a great flavor. It is also pretty thin for 8.5% ABV making it not as good as many out there. I would not get it again but for the price and the higher ABV it is justified trying it but I would dare to say you're probably not going to be thrilled with your purchase.

Glass- shaker pint

3.43/5  rDev +32.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Imperial Jack - Minhas Craft Brewery - bad

3.52/5  rDev +35.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Needs more hops to be a IIPA. Decent mouthfeel. Sweet bready cloying. Not bad for the price .

4.04/5  rDev +56%

It's good to try. For a double IPA I like it. If you're a double IPA fan, give it a shot.

1.5/5  rDev -42.1%

This pours a medium amber color with a full, beige head. The aroma is fairly malty considering it’s a double IPA. The taste is sweeter than anything with lots of bready tones. It’s a lighter and drinkable beer but in no way does this even begin to compare to other IIPAs on the market.

2.75/5  rDev +6.2%

Like others have said... not a very good beer, and Not a DIPA but decent price point.

1.42/5  rDev -45.2%

L -Light amber. Hazy. Short white head, not persistent.
S - Sugar and vague citrusy hops. A little fruity.
T - Not good. Indistint cloying sweetness. Bitter slightly citrus finish.
O - The two primary characters are cloying and bitter. Not a great combo.

3.45/5  rDev +33.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Minhas Creek Brewing 'Imperial Jack Dbl IPA' @ 8.5% , served from a 650 ml bottle purchased for $4

A-pour is gold from the bottle to a hazy amber in the glass with a small thin off-white head leaving a streaky lace along the pint

S-funky hops

T-big booze (eww) , definately not smooth

MF-lack of carbonation , full ugly body

Ov-one & done , almost a drain pour

prost LampertLand

1.3/5  rDev -49.8%

From notes on 10/27/13

Boatwain Double IPA from Trader Joes. Pours the color of bright orange yellow. Not much smell, but what smell there is isn't pleasant. Not really hoppy at all. Kind of a rust taste. Easily the worst pale ale I've ever had. But paid $2 for a 22 once bottle, so can’t expect much.

1.89/5  rDev -27%
look: 3 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.25

Wow, I'm not really sure why this was called a double IPA. The brewery needs to look up what a double IPA.
It's a amber color, it says the IBU are 75 I don't think so. I could not find a brew date on it anywhere so I assume it was fresh.
I wasted $12.00 for the six pack

1.66/5  rDev -35.9%

I purchased this for 2 bucks and change for a bomber which should have been a good clue that this is terrible. Pours an amber color with a white head that dissipates quickly. Double ipa? The smell is only malt and sulfur. The taste is that of a maltier rhinelander export lager. This is garbage. This should be labeled malt liquor. Rhinelander, be embarrassed. This is awful.

3.72/5  rDev +43.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Picked this up for $2.50 for a 22, thinking, "how bad can it be." Not much on appearance, kinda thin looking with little head. Smell was surprisingly weak for an IPA, where is that wonderful smell? However, does not smell bad, just not what I was expecting so I had to adjust my expectations. Taste was also odd, again, did not have the IPA taste. Confusing because it was not what I expected but not bad. After getting past the idea of this being an IPA and just looking at it as a beer it is not bad. Easy to drink and rather tasty, does not come across as 8.5%. Overall it gets bonus points for ABV and cost. Will probably pick up a few more of these as a value buy for quantity over quality days. If you are looking for a good cheap beer, winner. If you are looking for a good IPA, pass it by.

1.32/5  rDev -49%

22 oz bottle into a Chimay goblet.

A: Pours a semi-hazy amber color. The head is a finger high, off-white in shade, and VERY fluffy soft. Retention isn't very good, though. Having said that, it leaves some lacing on the glass. Well...um...it looks like a DIPA.

S: Hops? What's that? Could have fooled me thinking this was well-hopped...or any kind of hopped, really. Honestly, it smells like a fuckin' malt liquor. Cereal grains, cheap white wine, and lots of sweetness are the order of the day. If my name was Pablo or DeAndre, I'd probably like this a lot. If it was in a 40, ditto. Too bad neither of those things are true, so FAIL.

(I apologize to all craft beer enthusiasts named Pablo or DeAndre. Seriously, racial stereotyping is amusing in small doses, but can quickly turn ugly, especially if it happens on the internets. Wait...)

T: Oh god, this might be even worse. The best descriptor I can use is "subpar malt liquor meets horrible imperial amber ale." There is a touch of sweet caramel to start, which quickly turns into cheap white wine and cheap cereal grains. I'm also getting notes of sweat socks, cardboard, and plastic. There isn't a hint of hoppiness anywhere to be found. It doesn't even succeed as a malt liquor: I'd much rather go for Steel Reserve or Natty Daddy over this.

M: It's heavy, sweet, and highly carbonated. Kind of like a malt liquor, really. This kind of sweetness is absolutely unacceptable in a DIPA - it makes ST Unearthly look like a bone-dry, 4% blonde ale.

O: I love how the bottle top said "craft beer", as if it was soullessly harping on the fact that "yes, we're just like Sierra Nevada, and really cheap, too!", preferably in a Hindu accent. It resembles a proper craft DIPA much in the same way I resemble Idris Elba. Sure, we're both human beings, both male, and that's where the similarities end. This beer has set a record: not only is it my lowest scored DIPA (by a HUGE margin), but it has the lowest ratio of portion drunk to portion drainpoured. I just can't do it, especially when I know how sloppily manufactured its 'craftyness' is. $3 for this horrid DIPA facsimile is about $10 too much. It's so bad, in fact, I'm close to having a BSOD moment and I don't want to default back to Cliff Richard's settingsss--

ONCE IN EVERY LIFE TIME
THERE COMES A LOVE LIKE THIS
OH I NEED YOU, YOU NEED ME
OH MY DARLING CAN'T YOU SEE
WE'RE THE YOUNG ONES

4.58/5  rDev +76.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This is not a DIPA.

That being said, I'm going to review this beer as a mystery beer. No prejudices, no standards. Just straight experience of the brew itself.

Very pleasant scent. Malt, pleasant, but very malty. Has a earthy tone, and the hops are there, but you are left wondering where the rest are...

The taste, phenomenal. You cannot tell that this is 8.5 % alcohol, or 75 IBUS for that matter (which I find unsettling). If you're a hop head, steer clear. If you want something to drink while you watch the game, this is perfect. Leaves your mouth desiring another gulp or two to really get to know it's nature. Just different! Mysterious, this brew has an identity crisis.

This is the smoothest IPA or DIPA or WHATEVER it is (not sure because of the smoothness and decision for it to remain unlabeled) I have ever had. I literally am in love with this mystery brew. $3.99 for a pint bottle at the liquor store. This is my go to cheap good tasting beer. There is a slight bitterness, but honestly, this is a very easy drinking beer. I would highly recommend this to anyone who doesn't judge a beer by what the label says, but purely by it's flavor and mouthfeel. Damn good, would buy again, and am on bottle number 2.

Bottle from Trader Joe’s. Heavily oxidized, completely flat. Bought fresh and consumed almost right away. Cloyingly sweet with zero hop characteristics. Maybe I had a bad bottle? I certainly hope so.
Based on other's experience with this one I feel like I'm in the majority with saying this is a bad beer.

2.79/5  rDev +7.7%

Seems this gets some pretty bad reviews, but read them after my purchase - I purchased this on the price point, and the fact that it's advertised as a dipa, I will try to be as fair and honest as possible, here we go...

Appearance - Pours a nice finger of thick, rich looking eggshell head, body is a slightly hazy light orange amber, really a nice looking beer. I am getting some nice lacing after each quaff.

Smell - Sweet bready malts, almost fruit-cake like, light apple and pear, slight vanilla carmel.

Taste - Big bready malts to start, definitely getting some light floral flavors here too, then light grassy meadowy hops, finishing with light minerals and pepper, and just a whiff of citrus pith, which dries the back of the tongue. Often times a dry/bitter finish will beg the next sip, but the finish on this beer actually causes a slight hesitation. The alcohol is perfectly hidden here. There is a semi sweet backbone along for the entire ride that is like dried pear/apple bread.

Mouthfeel - Nearly medium mouthfeel, medium carb, but the light peppery and grassy dryness keeps this from being a smooth drinker. As i mentioned in the taste, often times a dry/bitter finish will encourage the next sip, but it causes hesitation here...

Overall - If I were blindfolded I would swear that this this was more of an imperial amber ale - I would not classify this as a dipa, in fact, this is not a dipa. It really is not a bad beer, in fact this tastes a lot like a sweeter, amped up fat tire. I'd say this is truly a good purchase for the money, especially if you want a quicker buzz - but know this, this is NOT a dipa, not by any stretch - it is an imperial amber, and really not a very bad one - in fact, put imperial amber on the label, and it's nearly a 4. But if you're looking for a true dipa, stay away - this does not represent the style.

***My low scores are due to this beer being mis-labeled imho - it is actually a pretty good beer, but it is NOT a DIPA.

1.94/5  rDev -25.1%

Pours hazed orange amber with a thin lasting white head. Some lacing sticks.

The smell is of thick, slightly burnt, caramel with alcohol. Where are the hops?

The taste is of sweet caramel with alcohol. This is like a malty malt liquor. Again, where are the hops? It says "heavily hopped" on the label, but I'm not catching that. No freshness date, but there's no sediment and the caramel, while overdone and slightly metallic, seems fresh enough.

The feel, though sticky, is smooth enough to be fairly drinkable, surprisingly enough.

In or out of style (this one is clearly in the latter), this beer is not good.

2.64/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

I got a six pack of this beer for $7.99, which is pretty great for a six pack of double IPAs. The problem though is that I love IPAs and this was disappointing. If I was looking for another beer type, it would have been better, but it lacked the hoppiness of my preferred IPAs. I was left slightly disappointed, but for the price I can't complain too much. The high gravity of this beer has something of a delayed reaction to it that's hard to explain. It seems like it hits pretty late in the brew.

1.65/5  rDev -36.3%

The appearance was right, but I got soap out of the bottle, nose-wise, and pepper. The pepper proceeded to the glass and mouthfeel, the soap did not.

A DOUBLE IPA? Hell, hardly an IPA, really.

Didn't realize this was Joseph Huber Brewery that's apparently been repacked name-wise a few times to hide their less than craft brewery nature. I got suspicious when the bottle listed it as Rhinelander Brewery but web stuff called it Minhas. That doesn't matter, however: except being annoying.

Crystal clear 3 or 4 golden srm with nice white head that lasts and lasts.

The pepper became annoying and I REALLY feel it's a phenol, not hops.

Pale malt/body right for regular IPA: tad off for Imperial. Pale malt in nose but so far back hardly worth mentioning.

Kudos on hiding the 8.5 abv, IF accurate. Usually I can tell even when hidden.

1.58/5  rDev -39%

Saw this at the Superstore liquor store and was shocked that they were selling a DIPA. Realized I got tricked by this shifty brewery just like the abysmal Bad Hare Day and Lazy Mutt beers they're trying to slide under the craft radar through their affiliate breweries.

This beer misses the mark so badly it's pathetic. It tastes nowhere near what a DIPA should taste like. One dimensional bready maltiness up front. A faint afterthought of bitterness that makes you wonder why they even bothered to use hops. The subtle taste of dish soap rounds out the experience.

Minhas is a blight on the craft brew scene. He can make all the shitty budget beer he wants but stay the hell away from craft. These crappy poser craft beers are popping up at all the bottle shops around here. My mother and sister went to buy beer (separately) last week and both ended up with crappy Minhas wannabeers despite their best intentions.

Drain poured most of the bottle, not worth the time nor calories....

2.77/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.75

I live in a small town and needless to say I was pretty excited to see a variety pack that included a double IPA show up in our tiny liquor store. I should have read the other reviews first.

Appearance: Very cloudy, almost like a lot of homebrew I've seen. Nice big fluffy head with good retention. Acceptable.

Smell: This was kind of disappointing, but it doesn't smell -bad- or anything. I expect a double IPA to have a really big nose. Grassy hops and some malt.

Taste: This isn't that well balanced with a kind of bland sweetness coming through on the malt before the hops kick in at the back. This isn't nearly hoppy enough for a double IPA, but the hops are just kind of bitter without being interesting. So maybe they are right ins topping where they did. The first few sips carried a really nasty chemical aftertaste which went away after a little while. Eventually this settles into a drinkable beer, but not one whose nuances I want to dwell on.

Mouthfeel: I usually don't judge beers that harshly on their drinkability. But holy crap. This made me feel bloated, uh... mucusy, and had a thick, silty sort of feel to it. Honestly, this has a mouthfeel like malt liquor with different carbonation levels.

Overall:

BOOO. Why the hell did they bother making this beer? It's beer, and I don't really mind drinking it after a while, but it certainly doesn't stand up to considered tasting.

1.82/5  rDev -29.7%

A: shiny brown orange, finger khaki head, ok lacing

S: metallic, sour apple, sweet malt

T: sugar, green apple, bitter mouth

M: light/med body, bubbly, crisp mouth

O: UGH, guess get what you pay for??!!
$2.99 is TOO good to be true for any Double IPA.
Could barely drink 1/2 the 750 ml bottle.

NOT GOOD; AVOID!

2.61/5  rDev +0.8%

Poured from a brown 22 oz. bottle. Has a cloudy caramel color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is mild, a bit of malts. Taste is not so good. A bit of hops up front, not nearly enough for this style, some malts, oh no, Now I am getting some of that Minhas flavor profile I know so well, green apples and plastic. Dammit man. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall the best quality about this beer was the low price tag.

to view more.