2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Imperial Jack - Minhas Craft Brewery

Imperial JackImperial Jack

poor

Minhas Craft Brewery visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

(Beer added by: biggred1 on 09-27-2011)
View: Beers (85) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 115 | Reviews: 42 | Show All Ratings:
JamieDuncan

Maryland

3.76/5  rDev +48.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Picked this up for $2.50 for a 22, thinking, "how bad can it be." Not much on appearance, kinda thin looking with little head. Smell was surprisingly weak for an IPA, where is that wonderful smell? However, does not smell bad, just not what I was expecting so I had to adjust my expectations. Taste was also odd, again, did not have the IPA taste. Confusing because it was not what I expected but not bad. After getting past the idea of this being an IPA and just looking at it as a beer it is not bad. Easy to drink and rather tasty, does not come across as 8.5%. Overall it gets bonus points for ABV and cost. Will probably pick up a few more of these as a value buy for quantity over quality days. If you are looking for a good cheap beer, winner. If you are looking for a good IPA, pass it by.

03-08-2014 02:44:39 | More by JamieDuncan
ThisWangsChung

Maryland

1.28/5  rDev -49.4%

22 oz bottle into a Chimay goblet.

A: Pours a semi-hazy amber color. The head is a finger high, off-white in shade, and VERY fluffy soft. Retention isn't very good, though. Having said that, it leaves some lacing on the glass. Well...um...it looks like a DIPA.

S: Hops? What's that? Could have fooled me thinking this was well-hopped...or any kind of hopped, really. Honestly, it smells like a fuckin' malt liquor. Cereal grains, cheap white wine, and lots of sweetness are the order of the day. If my name was Pablo or DeAndre, I'd probably like this a lot. If it was in a 40, ditto. Too bad neither of those things are true, so FAIL.

(I apologize to all craft beer enthusiasts named Pablo or DeAndre. Seriously, racial stereotyping is amusing in small doses, but can quickly turn ugly, especially if it happens on the internets. Wait...)

T: Oh god, this might be even worse. The best descriptor I can use is "subpar malt liquor meets horrible imperial amber ale." There is a touch of sweet caramel to start, which quickly turns into cheap white wine and cheap cereal grains. I'm also getting notes of sweat socks, cardboard, and plastic. There isn't a hint of hoppiness anywhere to be found. It doesn't even succeed as a malt liquor: I'd much rather go for Steel Reserve or Natty Daddy over this.

M: It's heavy, sweet, and highly carbonated. Kind of like a malt liquor, really. This kind of sweetness is absolutely unacceptable in a DIPA - it makes ST Unearthly look like a bone-dry, 4% blonde ale.

O: I love how the bottle top said "craft beer", as if it was soullessly harping on the fact that "yes, we're just like Sierra Nevada, and really cheap, too!", preferably in a Hindi accent. It resembles a proper craft DIPA much in the same way I resemble Idris Elba. Sure, we're both human beings, both male, and that's where the similarities end. This beer has set a record: not only is it my lowest scored DIPA (by a HUGE margin), but it has the lowest ratio of portion drunk to portion drainpoured. I just can't do it, especially when I know how sloppily manufactured its 'craftyness' is. $3 for this horrid DIPA facsimile is about $10 too much. It's so bad, in fact, I'm close to having a BSOD moment and I don't want to default back to Cliff Richard's settingsss--

ONCE IN EVERY LIFE TIME

03-02-2014 20:09:35 | More by ThisWangsChung
the3rdtriumph

Indiana

4.58/5  rDev +81%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This is not a DIPA.

That being said, I'm going to review this beer as a mystery beer. No prejudices, no standards. Just straight experience of the brew itself.

Very pleasant scent. Malt, pleasant, but very malty. Has a earthy tone, and the hops are there, but you are left wondering where the rest are...

The taste, phenomenal. You cannot tell that this is 8.5 % alcohol, or 75 IBUS for that matter (which I find unsettling). If you're a hop head, steer clear. If you want something to drink while you watch the game, this is perfect. Leaves your mouth desiring another gulp or two to really get to know it's nature. Just different! Mysterious, this brew has an identity crisis.

This is the smoothest IPA or DIPA or WHATEVER it is (not sure because of the smoothness and decision for it to remain unlabeled) I have ever had. I literally am in love with this mystery brew. $3.99 for a pint bottle at the liquor store. This is my go to cheap good tasting beer. There is a slight bitterness, but honestly, this is a very easy drinking beer. I would highly recommend this to anyone who doesn't judge a beer by what the label says, but purely by it's flavor and mouthfeel. Damn good, would buy again, and am on bottle number 2.

01-19-2014 07:24:28 | More by the3rdtriumph
jdb288

Bottle from Trader Joe’s. Heavily oxidized, completely flat. Bought fresh and consumed almost right away. Cloyingly sweet with zero hop characteristics. Maybe I had a bad bottle? I certainly hope so.
Based on other's experience with this one I feel like I'm in the majority with saying this is a bad beer.

12-20-2013 12:47:59 | More by jdb288
blackcompg

2.8/5  rDev +10.7%

Seems this gets some pretty bad reviews, but read them after my purchase - I purchased this on the price point, and the fact that it's advertised as a dipa, I will try to be as fair and honest as possible, here we go...

Appearance - Pours a nice finger of thick, rich looking eggshell head, body is a slightly hazy light orange amber, really a nice looking beer. I am getting some nice lacing after each quaff.

Smell - Sweet bready malts, almost fruit-cake like, light apple and pear, slight vanilla carmel.

Taste - Big bready malts to start, definitely getting some light floral flavors here too, then light grassy meadowy hops, finishing with light minerals and pepper, and just a whiff of citrus pith, which dries the back of the tongue. Often times a dry/bitter finish will beg the next sip, but the finish on this beer actually causes a slight hesitation. The alcohol is perfectly hidden here. There is a semi sweet backbone along for the entire ride that is like dried pear/apple bread.

Mouthfeel - Nearly medium mouthfeel, medium carb, but the light peppery and grassy dryness keeps this from being a smooth drinker. As i mentioned in the taste, often times a dry/bitter finish will encourage the next sip, but it causes hesitation here...

Overall - If I were blindfolded I would swear that this this was more of an imperial amber ale - I would not classify this as a dipa, in fact, this is not a dipa. It really is not a bad beer, in fact this tastes a lot like a sweeter, amped up fat tire. I'd say this is truly a good purchase for the money, especially if you want a quicker buzz - but know this, this is NOT a dipa, not by any stretch - it is an imperial amber, and really not a very bad one - in fact, put imperial amber on the label, and it's nearly a 4. But if you're looking for a true dipa, stay away - this does not represent the style.

***My low scores are due to this beer being mis-labeled imho - it is actually a pretty good beer, but it is NOT a DIPA.

12-14-2013 04:50:52 | More by blackcompg
jwc215

Wisconsin

1.9/5  rDev -24.9%

Pours hazed orange amber with a thin lasting white head. Some lacing sticks.

The smell is of thick, slightly burnt, caramel with alcohol. Where are the hops?

The taste is of sweet caramel with alcohol. This is like a malty malt liquor. Again, where are the hops? It says "heavily hopped" on the label, but I'm not catching that. No freshness date, but there's no sediment and the caramel, while overdone and slightly metallic, seems fresh enough.

The feel, though sticky, is smooth enough to be fairly drinkable, surprisingly enough.

In or out of style (this one is clearly in the latter), this beer is not good.

12-09-2013 19:43:18 | More by jwc215
Snowman95

Tennessee

2.65/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

I got a six pack of this beer for $7.99, which is pretty great for a six pack of double IPAs. The problem though is that I love IPAs and this was disappointing. If I was looking for another beer type, it would have been better, but it lacked the hoppiness of my preferred IPAs. I was left slightly disappointed, but for the price I can't complain too much. The high gravity of this beer has something of a delayed reaction to it that's hard to explain. It seems like it hits pretty late in the brew.

10-30-2013 05:10:56 | More by Snowman95
kencarman

Tennessee

1.61/5  rDev -36.4%

The appearance was right, but I got soap out of the bottle, nose-wise, and pepper. The pepper proceeded to the glass and mouthfeel, the soap did not.

A DOUBLE IPA? Hell, hardly an IPA, really.

Didn't realize this was Joseph Huber Brewery that's apparently been repacked name-wise a few times to hide their less than craft brewery nature. I got suspicious when the bottle listed it as Rhinelander Brewery but web stuff called it Minhas. That doesn't matter, however: except being annoying.

Crystal clear 3 or 4 golden srm with nice white head that lasts and lasts.

The pepper became annoying and I REALLY feel it's a phenol, not hops.

Pale malt/body right for regular IPA: tad off for Imperial. Pale malt in nose but so far back hardly worth mentioning.

Kudos on hiding the 8.5 abv, IF accurate. Usually I can tell even when hidden.

10-12-2013 23:40:40 | More by kencarman
FadetoBock

1.58/5  rDev -37.5%

Saw this at the Superstore liquor store and was shocked that they were selling a DIPA. Realized I got tricked by this shifty brewery just like the abysmal Bad Hare Day and Lazy Mutt beers they're trying to slide under the craft radar through their affiliate breweries.

This beer misses the mark so badly it's pathetic. It tastes nowhere near what a DIPA should taste like. One dimensional bready maltiness up front. A faint afterthought of bitterness that makes you wonder why they even bothered to use hops. The subtle taste of dish soap rounds out the experience.

Minhas is a blight on the craft brew scene. He can make all the shitty budget beer he wants but stay the hell away from craft. These crappy poser craft beers are popping up at all the bottle shops around here. My mother and sister went to buy beer (separately) last week and both ended up with crappy Minhas wannabeers despite their best intentions.

Drain poured most of the bottle, not worth the time nor calories....

09-09-2013 22:16:37 | More by FadetoBock
ComradeCanadia

2.75/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.75

I live in a small town and needless to say I was pretty excited to see a variety pack that included a double IPA show up in our tiny liquor store. I should have read the other reviews first.

Appearance: Very cloudy, almost like a lot of homebrew I've seen. Nice big fluffy head with good retention. Acceptable.

Smell: This was kind of disappointing, but it doesn't smell -bad- or anything. I expect a double IPA to have a really big nose. Grassy hops and some malt.

Taste: This isn't that well balanced with a kind of bland sweetness coming through on the malt before the hops kick in at the back. This isn't nearly hoppy enough for a double IPA, but the hops are just kind of bitter without being interesting. So maybe they are right ins topping where they did. The first few sips carried a really nasty chemical aftertaste which went away after a little while. Eventually this settles into a drinkable beer, but not one whose nuances I want to dwell on.

Mouthfeel: I usually don't judge beers that harshly on their drinkability. But holy crap. This made me feel bloated, uh... mucusy, and had a thick, silty sort of feel to it. Honestly, this has a mouthfeel like malt liquor with different carbonation levels.

Overall:

BOOO. Why the hell did they bother making this beer? It's beer, and I don't really mind drinking it after a while, but it certainly doesn't stand up to considered tasting.

07-20-2013 04:41:17 | More by ComradeCanadia
BeerLover99

1.85/5  rDev -26.9%

A: shiny brown orange, finger khaki head, ok lacing

S: metallic, sour apple, sweet malt

T: sugar, green apple, bitter mouth

M: light/med body, bubbly, crisp mouth

O: UGH, guess get what you pay for??!!
$2.99 is TOO good to be true for any Double IPA.
Could barely drink 1/2 the 750 ml bottle.

NOT GOOD; AVOID!

05-23-2013 18:06:02 | More by BeerLover99
tone77

2.55/5  rDev +0.8%

Poured from a brown 22 oz. bottle. Has a cloudy caramel color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is mild, a bit of malts. Taste is not so good. A bit of hops up front, not nearly enough for this style, some malts, oh no, Now I am getting some of that Minhas flavor profile I know so well, green apples and plastic. Dammit man. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall the best quality about this beer was the low price tag.

04-03-2013 00:06:20 | More by tone77
russpowell

2.65/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Damn, should've whipped out my glasses,if I'd known it was from these dudes, I probably would've passed. Here' goes nuttin

Pours amber/caramel with 3 fingers. Great head retention & lacing

S: Apple peels, nothing else really

T: Grassy, slight pear sweetness, maybe a slight bit of citrus up front . Some herbal hops with a whisper of woody hops too, a lot of apple juice & dryness. Finishes fruitty & dry

MF: Medium bodied, firm carbonation, hops are muted

Where are the freaking hops??? A total fraud for lack of a better description... I can drink this okay, but very far off style. Sadly I got 3 more from these guys to review I guess you can't appreciate a good beer some times until you have some thing to compare it to

10-23-2012 05:48:58 | More by russpowell
TMoney2591

1.9/5  rDev -24.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Served in a Walter Payton shaker pint glass.

Going from the sadness of "Mystical" to the apparent power of "Imperial". Fingers are crossed. This pours a clear copper brass topped by a finger of off-white foam. The nose comprises sweet flowers, light grass, dry leaves (think Autumn), light powdered sugar, and mentholated caramel. This doesn't bode well. The taste, I suppose, brings in more of the same, but it all comes through in a swift-kick-in-the-balls of straight bitterness wrapped in dry, crusty, menthol-y caramel. Dammit, this shit hurts my tongue proportionately as much as a kick to the balls. Wow. The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a slickly-syrupy feel. Overall, this is just plain godawful. Seriously. I'm warning you: don't drink this if you value your tastebuds. Goddamn, man!

10-18-2012 04:02:40 | More by TMoney2591
Sammy

Ontario (Canada)

2.98/5  rDev +17.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Sloppy Hoppy melange, though watered down and not so interesting. Some taste, but not the taste to look for. Get what you pay for. Golden yellow colour. Only a faint aroma. Leftover hops from the factory floor? One of the least enjoyable DIPA I have had.

10-14-2012 02:47:56 | More by Sammy
superspak

2.85/5  rDev +12.6%

22 ounce bottle into tulip glass, no bottle dating. Pours lightly hazy orange amber color with a 2 finger dense cream colored head with great retention, that reduces to a nice cap that lingers. Some good foamy lacing clings to the glass. Aromas of apple, fruit skin, caramel, toffee, molasses, pine, orange, grapefruit, floral, bread, grass, and light herbal spiciness. Aromas are not really inviting; not a whole lot of aromas I would associate with hops. Not really too offensive though. Taste of caramel, apple, orange zest, grapefruit, pine, herbal, floral, toffee, and light spiciness. Light bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of citrus, apple, caramel, toffee, and light herbal spiciness on the finish for a while. Very malt forward, with some slight cloying sweetness after the finish. Ok flavor balance; with just enough bitterness to not become overly sweet. Medium carbonation and medium-full bodied; with a fairly slick and creamy mouthfeel that is ok. Alcohol is well hidden with hardly any warming noticed after the finish. Overall this is a pretty mediocre DIPA. Quite sweet feeling; but has some ok flavor balance. Pretty smooth to sip on as well. The bomber was finished fairly easily.

09-11-2012 04:05:09 | More by superspak
andrenaline

Ontario (Canada)

2.58/5  rDev +2%

Definitely not my first choice for Int'l IPA day, but the sole DIPA in the household.

A - Pours a hazy copper colour, finger of head with some retention and some random sporadic lacing.

S - Mild on the nose and heavily dominated by caramel malts, hint of mustiness, and earthy pine hops on the finish.

T - For a DIPA the hops take a back seat to the caramel malts, coming through on the finish to provide an earthy balance. The bitterness lingers alongside a sweet lemon flavour.

M - A lighter bodied ale that comes across thin, goes down smooth and finishes with a touch of dryness.

O - For a DIPA this is rather disappointing, but I must admit the ABV is well hidden. Perhaps the hops were subdued do to the age of this bottle, but given the track record of the brewery I suspect it's more likely due to poor craftsmanship. Avoid this one, unless you're in dire need to find something to celebrate Int'l IPA day.

08-03-2012 00:49:02 | More by andrenaline
StaveHooks

2.63/5  rDev +4%

220z served into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint glass.

A - Pours a clear brassy copper with 3 fingers of white foam. Good lacing.

S - Big malt presence, caramel, sweet bread, slight grassy, some metallic aroma.

T - Sweet pale and caramel malt dominates with some light grassy hops underneath, doughy yeast, with hints of citrus on the finish.

M - Full bodied, thick feel, medium carbonation.

This is a one and done. Lackluster with low hop presence. Not bad but not good and very forgettable.

07-28-2012 19:07:39 | More by StaveHooks
kylehay2004

2.38/5  rDev -5.9%

A: half finger head with poor retention on a copper with golden hue cloudy body.

S: near identical smell to the thumper with caramel malts and sweet orange/pineapple citrus notes. maple notes.

T: sweet caramel malts up front... is this really a DIPA?... with medicinal citrus and oddly matched hop bittering making this beer very irregular and disorganized. metallic content as well.

M: medium body and moderate to high carbonation.

Overall: I defended thumper IPA from this brewery, but this is just bad. Drank half a glass, rest is corroding the pipes.

07-24-2012 22:06:27 | More by kylehay2004
jmdrpi

2.68/5  rDev +5.9%

22 oz bottle, no date. I actually had a hard time finding this listing, as the label on my bottle lists "Brewed and Bottled by Rhinelander Brewing Company". Is it contract brewing or something?

appears slightly hazy dark copper color, minimal head. not very hoppy aroma. sharp malty smell. doesn't taste like an IPA either - just biscuity malt, lingering odd aftertaste. thin to medium body, coats the tongue.

overall - where are the hops?

07-12-2012 03:26:58 | More by jmdrpi
DavoleBomb

1.98/5  rDev -21.7%

Poured into a pint glass.

3.0 A: Moderately hazed orange amber color. Two fingers of frothy tan head. Retention is a touch below average and a short ring of lacing is left.

2.0 S: I'm not sure what to make of this. It smells like a middle of the road IPA, except with tomatoes present. It's not a generic vegetal aroma, it's straight up tomatoes. Aside from that there a light citrus hoppiness, some crystal malt, and some breadiness.

1.5 T: Tastes like it smells. Big tomato followed by hop fruitiness that is lead by persimmon, mango, and peach. Some crystal malt to go along with a mild yeasty breadiness.

3.5 M: Medium body. Good moderate carbonation. Lightly creamy with a crispness.

2.0 D: Now I know why I this was selling for $2.50 per bomber. It's quite an awful brew to initiate an awful intRoduction to this brewery.

07-05-2012 19:22:47 | More by DavoleBomb
bump8628

2.78/5  rDev +9.9%

Just finished the Thumper IPA and can't say I was thrilled. This one looks pretty damn nice. Clear copper, huge, sticky white head. That's about where the compliments end. Overall, it's less hoppy than the Thumper (meaning it's not hoppy at all). Very slight herbal twang of hop flavor. It's big on malt. Thick caramel and some biscuit. Not too sweet. Maybe sell this to me as an English strong ale or big amber ale and I might bite considering the $3.50/750ml price. But this is in NO WAY a DIPA.

06-27-2012 19:09:26 | More by bump8628
zeff80

Missouri

2.95/5  rDev +16.6%

A - Poured out a clear, amber color with a one-finger, off-white head of foam. It left thin rings of lace on the glass.

S - It smelled of citrus and malt. Odd mustiness, too.

T - It tasted malty with grassy bitterness. Fairly unbalanced.

M - It was crisp and fairly sharrp. A medium bodied ale with a dry finish.

O - This is not a great DIPA. Unbalance and just odd.

06-27-2012 02:46:38 | More by zeff80
mattsander

1.53/5  rDev -39.5%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

A: Hazy orange, medium carbonation, unremarkable.

S: Sticky malt bomb, little to no hop aroma.

T: A very sugary solution with medium bitterness and no hop flavor. Caramel and toffee dominates.

M: Very heavy, difficult to finish half the bottle.

Another abomination from this embarrassing 'brewery'. Craftwashing at its very worst.

06-04-2012 15:06:57 | More by mattsander
Florida9

3.03/5  rDev +19.8%

A: Slightly hazy copper in color. Forms a decent sized off-white head that eventually reduces down to a thick surface coating. Some decent lacing.

S: Malty and bready with notes of caramel and toffee with a bit of herbal hoppiness.

T: Again, fairly malty with lots of caramel, toffee, and bread. There is a hint of herbal or citrus hops, but it is rather faint. Finishes with a bit of buttery diacetyl.

M: Medium bodied with carbonation that is too heavy for the style. Mild bitterness.

O: I've got to admit, this beer wasn't the abomination I was expecting it to be. Sure, it's a fairly average beer and it's overly malty and under-hopped, but it's drinkable and I'd still drink this over BMC.

06-03-2012 01:39:04 | More by Florida9