Imperial Jack - Minhas Craft Brewery

Wisconsin, United States

Beer added by: biggred1 on 09-27-2011

first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last
4.58/5  rDev +81%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This is not a DIPA.

That being said, I'm going to review this beer as a mystery beer. No prejudices, no standards. Just straight experience of the brew itself.

Very pleasant scent. Malt, pleasant, but very malty. Has a earthy tone, and the hops are there, but you are left wondering where the rest are...

The taste, phenomenal. You cannot tell that this is 8.5 % alcohol, or 75 IBUS for that matter (which I find unsettling). If you're a hop head, steer clear. If you want something to drink while you watch the game, this is perfect. Leaves your mouth desiring another gulp or two to really get to know it's nature. Just different! Mysterious, this brew has an identity crisis.

This is the smoothest IPA or DIPA or WHATEVER it is (not sure because of the smoothness and decision for it to remain unlabeled) I have ever had. I literally am in love with this mystery brew. $3.99 for a pint bottle at the liquor store. This is my go to cheap good tasting beer. There is a slight bitterness, but honestly, this is a very easy drinking beer. I would highly recommend this to anyone who doesn't judge a beer by what the label says, but purely by it's flavor and mouthfeel. Damn good, would buy again, and am on bottle number 2. (1,234 characters)

(Served in a tulip glass)

A- This beer pours a deep orange body with a sea of microbubbles and a sticky thick butter cream colored head that last a good bit.

S- The perfumy fruity esters has notes of pear and apricot with some faint green hop leaves in the finish.

T- The apricot ester taste blends with green hops flavors a bit softer. The spice note in the finish blends with the alcohol heat nicely. As the beer opens up there are some nice soft malt flavors that come through.

M- This beer has a light mouthfeel with a soft alcohol heat that sneak up as the beer opens.

O- This beer is very light and crisp with some good flavor just not hoppy. It has some good depth in character in the fruity esters but they almost taste artificial as the beer warms. (766 characters)

3.72/5  rDev +47%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Picked this up for $2.50 for a 22, thinking, "how bad can it be." Not much on appearance, kinda thin looking with little head. Smell was surprisingly weak for an IPA, where is that wonderful smell? However, does not smell bad, just not what I was expecting so I had to adjust my expectations. Taste was also odd, again, did not have the IPA taste. Confusing because it was not what I expected but not bad. After getting past the idea of this being an IPA and just looking at it as a beer it is not bad. Easy to drink and rather tasty, does not come across as 8.5%. Overall it gets bonus points for ABV and cost. Will probably pick up a few more of these as a value buy for quantity over quality days. If you are looking for a good cheap beer, winner. If you are looking for a good IPA, pass it by. (797 characters)

3.71/5  rDev +46.6%

S-I poured this out of a 22 oz Bomber into a rounded pint glass

A-A very nice deep amber. Tiny bubble kept coming up well through the end of this beer. Very thin head.

S-Very bland smell for a Doulbe IPA.

T-After the smell, I was anticipating a bland taste, but was very shocked to find a nice oakiness up front followed by vanilla and a citrus aftertaste

O-I picked this up at the local liquor store for $3.49 on special. I am on a budget and thought, this would be a good way to stimulate my craft beer habit and for the price, this beer did not dissapoint. I will be going back soon to grab some more. (608 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +38.3%

L: Pours amber with a slight haze under a thin light tan foam collar.
S: a little alcohol and malt on the nose, not much hop
T: Starts clean and light and then grows with more body and malt and then the hops assert. Light fruit on the nose – plum, the plum lingers into the finish with a lingering orange rind bitterness. The finish is a little grainy and astringent in an off-putting way.
F: Medium to medium high carbonation, creamy
O: This isn’t a great beer but its better than poor and its cheap. (509 characters)

3.45/5  rDev +36.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Minhas Creek Brewing 'Imperial Jack Dbl IPA' @ 8.5% , served from a 650 ml bottle purchased for $4

A-pour is gold from the bottle to a hazy amber in the glass with a small thin off-white head leaving a streaky lace along the pint

S-funky hops

T-big booze (eww) , definately not smooth

MF-lack of carbonation , full ugly body

Ov-one & done , almost a drain pour

prost LampertLand (384 characters)

3.42/5  rDev +35.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I saw this and I figured I would give it a try.

A - Light orange color with course white head. Good lacing. Slight hop haze.

S - Nice citrus hop nose. Light malt and grain smell after the hops.

T - Nice citrus hops. Complimenting malt flavor. Balanced and crisp. Distinct hop bitterness.

M - Lighter to moderate mouth-feel. Has some bitterness and the carbonation seems to lighten the body.

Overall, a fine IPA. Definitely not a "Double" IPA. There is a hop forward profile but not enough to give it a great flavor. It is also pretty thin for 8.5% ABV making it not as good as many out there. I would not get it again but for the price and the higher ABV it is justified trying it but I would dare to say you're probably not going to be thrilled with your purchase.

Glass- shaker pint (792 characters)

3.03/5  rDev +19.8%

A: Slightly hazy copper in color. Forms a decent sized off-white head that eventually reduces down to a thick surface coating. Some decent lacing.

S: Malty and bready with notes of caramel and toffee with a bit of herbal hoppiness.

T: Again, fairly malty with lots of caramel, toffee, and bread. There is a hint of herbal or citrus hops, but it is rather faint. Finishes with a bit of buttery diacetyl.

M: Medium bodied with carbonation that is too heavy for the style. Mild bitterness.

O: I've got to admit, this beer wasn't the abomination I was expecting it to be. Sure, it's a fairly average beer and it's overly malty and under-hopped, but it's drinkable and I'd still drink this over BMC. (701 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Sloppy Hoppy melange, though watered down and not so interesting. Some taste, but not the taste to look for. Get what you pay for. Golden yellow colour. Only a faint aroma. Leftover hops from the factory floor? One of the least enjoyable DIPA I have had. (254 characters)

2.96/5  rDev +17%

Short lived whire head on an orange/light amber body. Some lacing left over and below average head retention.

Very faint citrus smell.

More citrus hops, slight grassynness. Decent malt backbone.

Medium. To medium thin mouthfeel, good carbonation.

Really not as bad as I thought it would be, which inits own goofy way is a disappointment haha. Wouldn't recommend unless your a craft fan on an extreme budget ($2.99/bomber) (425 characters)

2.93/5  rDev +15.8%

A - Poured out a clear, amber color with a one-finger, off-white head of foam. It left thin rings of lace on the glass.

S - It smelled of citrus and malt. Odd mustiness, too.

T - It tasted malty with grassy bitterness. Fairly unbalanced.

M - It was crisp and fairly sharrp. A medium bodied ale with a dry finish.

O - This is not a great DIPA. Unbalance and just odd. (370 characters)

2.82/5  rDev +11.5%

22 ounce bottle into tulip glass, no bottle dating. Pours lightly hazy orange amber color with a 2 finger dense cream colored head with great retention, that reduces to a nice cap that lingers. Some good foamy lacing clings to the glass. Aromas of apple, fruit skin, caramel, toffee, molasses, pine, orange, grapefruit, floral, bread, grass, and light herbal spiciness. Aromas are not really inviting; not a whole lot of aromas I would associate with hops. Not really too offensive though. Taste of caramel, apple, orange zest, grapefruit, pine, herbal, floral, toffee, and light spiciness. Light bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of citrus, apple, caramel, toffee, and light herbal spiciness on the finish for a while. Very malt forward, with some slight cloying sweetness after the finish. Ok flavor balance; with just enough bitterness to not become overly sweet. Medium carbonation and medium-full bodied; with a fairly slick and creamy mouthfeel that is ok. Alcohol is well hidden with hardly any warming noticed after the finish. Overall this is a pretty mediocre DIPA. Quite sweet feeling; but has some ok flavor balance. Pretty smooth to sip on as well. The bomber was finished fairly easily. (1,213 characters)

2.79/5  rDev +10.3%

Seems this gets some pretty bad reviews, but read them after my purchase - I purchased this on the price point, and the fact that it's advertised as a dipa, I will try to be as fair and honest as possible, here we go...

Appearance - Pours a nice finger of thick, rich looking eggshell head, body is a slightly hazy light orange amber, really a nice looking beer. I am getting some nice lacing after each quaff.

Smell - Sweet bready malts, almost fruit-cake like, light apple and pear, slight vanilla carmel.

Taste - Big bready malts to start, definitely getting some light floral flavors here too, then light grassy meadowy hops, finishing with light minerals and pepper, and just a whiff of citrus pith, which dries the back of the tongue. Often times a dry/bitter finish will beg the next sip, but the finish on this beer actually causes a slight hesitation. The alcohol is perfectly hidden here. There is a semi sweet backbone along for the entire ride that is like dried pear/apple bread.

Mouthfeel - Nearly medium mouthfeel, medium carb, but the light peppery and grassy dryness keeps this from being a smooth drinker. As i mentioned in the taste, often times a dry/bitter finish will encourage the next sip, but it causes hesitation here...

Overall - If I were blindfolded I would swear that this this was more of an imperial amber ale - I would not classify this as a dipa, in fact, this is not a dipa. It really is not a bad beer, in fact this tastes a lot like a sweeter, amped up fat tire. I'd say this is truly a good purchase for the money, especially if you want a quicker buzz - but know this, this is NOT a dipa, not by any stretch - it is an imperial amber, and really not a very bad one - in fact, put imperial amber on the label, and it's nearly a 4. But if you're looking for a true dipa, stay away - this does not represent the style.

***My low scores are due to this beer being mis-labeled imho - it is actually a pretty good beer, but it is NOT a DIPA. (1,980 characters)

2.79/5  rDev +10.3%

Just finished the Thumper IPA and can't say I was thrilled. This one looks pretty damn nice. Clear copper, huge, sticky white head. That's about where the compliments end. Overall, it's less hoppy than the Thumper (meaning it's not hoppy at all). Very slight herbal twang of hop flavor. It's big on malt. Thick caramel and some biscuit. Not too sweet. Maybe sell this to me as an English strong ale or big amber ale and I might bite considering the $3.50/750ml price. But this is in NO WAY a DIPA. (497 characters)

2.78/5  rDev +9.9%

Reviewed from notes.

Pours out a standard amber color with a return of the disappointing receding collar of white foam for a head, no lacing. Very light feel and texture, but well carbonated. Smells of faint grapefruit peel and herbal tones on top of a sweet malt hurricane. Tastes out of balance on the sweet side for my idea of a DIPA, in fact, it tastes more like a standard single strength IPA to my palate. Murky generic citric peel hopping flavor lightly accentuates a heavy blow of molasses and caramel malt. Too sweet for my ideal of an IPA balance, but palates do vary. I will say that the typical Minhas medicinal off-flavor does NOT show up in this one for me, nor does the ABV level ever show up as a form of booziness. But I also am having a very difficult time finding those "75 IBUS" advertised on the bottle, and this is a really fresh bottle too. (864 characters)

2.78/5  rDev +9.9%

bomber into an oversized wine glass

Ap- pours a hazy copper color with a white head about .5 inch that dissipates pretty quickly. looks dark for a DIPA

Ar- some hops but not much for this style. I almost smell more biscuitly malts than hops. Part of this beer smells similiar to something by BMC. I smell that metal smell.

T- kind of an equal mixture of hops and malt. The hops are bitter and don't really have any citrus profile. The malt is sweet, biscuity and almost too much for a DIPA.

M- medium bodied, lots of carbonation and a bit sticky.

O- not a bad beer, but definitely needs some work. I wasn't expecting much @ $2.99 a bomber, but even at this price I probably wouldn't buy it again. (703 characters)

2.77/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.75

I live in a small town and needless to say I was pretty excited to see a variety pack that included a double IPA show up in our tiny liquor store. I should have read the other reviews first.

Appearance: Very cloudy, almost like a lot of homebrew I've seen. Nice big fluffy head with good retention. Acceptable.

Smell: This was kind of disappointing, but it doesn't smell -bad- or anything. I expect a double IPA to have a really big nose. Grassy hops and some malt.

Taste: This isn't that well balanced with a kind of bland sweetness coming through on the malt before the hops kick in at the back. This isn't nearly hoppy enough for a double IPA, but the hops are just kind of bitter without being interesting. So maybe they are right ins topping where they did. The first few sips carried a really nasty chemical aftertaste which went away after a little while. Eventually this settles into a drinkable beer, but not one whose nuances I want to dwell on.

Mouthfeel: I usually don't judge beers that harshly on their drinkability. But holy crap. This made me feel bloated, uh... mucusy, and had a thick, silty sort of feel to it. Honestly, this has a mouthfeel like malt liquor with different carbonation levels.

Overall:

BOOO. Why the hell did they bother making this beer? It's beer, and I don't really mind drinking it after a while, but it certainly doesn't stand up to considered tasting. (1,403 characters)

2.77/5  rDev +9.5%

Pouts a slightly hazy orange color with a thin off-white head. Lots of carbonation is visible rising in the glass. Head is rather disappointing, thin and retention is poor. Aroma is of tropical hops and caramel. Taste starts with a bit of caramel malt, then I get some sort of off flavor, I think it's an medecine like flavor. Mouthfeel is average. Really this is a pretty mediocre beer. (387 characters)

2.7/5  rDev +6.7%

22 oz bottle, no date. I actually had a hard time finding this listing, as the label on my bottle lists "Brewed and Bottled by Rhinelander Brewing Company". Is it contract brewing or something?

appears slightly hazy dark copper color, minimal head. not very hoppy aroma. sharp malty smell. doesn't taste like an IPA either - just biscuity malt, lingering odd aftertaste. thin to medium body, coats the tongue.

overall - where are the hops? (442 characters)

2.69/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Thanks, Richard.

The beer is amber, maybe copper, in color with a white head. A rather malty IPA, lots of bread and toffee aromas. There is a little bit of citrus peel and strangely enough, banana. Somewhat yeasty, too, which is strange. The sweetness carries over to the flavor. Lots of the same bread, toffee, and banana characteristics that were present on the aroma. Just a touch of citrus and maybe some pine notes. Only mildly bitter. Pretty mediocre (if not worse). (473 characters)

2.69/5  rDev +6.3%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into my Bell's Pint.
Pours with a half inch or so of whiteish head that sticks around pretty shortly. A very little bit of lacing. Clear and filtered. Copper/Amber hue, the beer itself looks pretty.
The smell is pretty underwhelming a little citrus but not much going on as far as I can tell.
The taste of this beer is pretty bland up front has a bitter finish that borders on unpleasant. It isn't awful but it's nothing to write home about certainly. The after taste is bitter and kind of blah but not bad, just not note-able.
The mouthfeel is thin and foamy, kind of like a good malt liquor. The only problem is I didn't think I was buying a good malt-liquor, I thought I was buying a DIPA haha. Like the other characteristics of this beer it borders on bland.
Look, this beer cost me three bucks for a bomber so I am not complaining. I think that the cost and ease of availability should be taken into consideration at least a little bit. Imperial Jack is certainly not anywhere near the top of my list of DIPA's but for such a low price I didn't exactly expect it to be. I do not think it is nearly as bad as the D rating it has here on BA. I prob wouldn't buy another one of these but I wouldn't turn one down either. I could see this being a go-to beer whenever one is poor and doesn't want to drink Bud Light. Realistically though, I would still prob grab a Pabst before this if I was really feeling the burn of poverty haha. (1,458 characters)

2.67/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Damn, should've whipped out my glasses,if I'd known it was from these dudes, I probably would've passed. Here' goes nuttin

Pours amber/caramel with 3 fingers. Great head retention & lacing

S: Apple peels, nothing else really

T: Grassy, slight pear sweetness, maybe a slight bit of citrus up front . Some herbal hops with a whisper of woody hops too, a lot of apple juice & dryness. Finishes fruitty & dry

MF: Medium bodied, firm carbonation, hops are muted

Where are the freaking hops??? A total fraud for lack of a better description... I can drink this okay, but very far off style. Sadly I got 3 more from these guys to review I guess you can't appreciate a good beer some times until you have some thing to compare it to (729 characters)

2.66/5  rDev +5.1%

22oz bomber. Not quite grokking the matryoshka doll adorned leaping hare imagery on the label...cultural shotgun attempt?

This beer pours a slightly hazy pale golden amber colour, with two fingers of puffy, foamy ecru head, which leaves a decent scattered array of webbed lace around the glass as it slowly recedes. It smells of grapefruit citrus and tart green apple, over a very subtle grainy malt. Fool me once. The taste is sweet muddled citrus, mild pine bitterness, thin caramel malt, and that dead organics, vegetal Minhas house character, that is mostly restrained in this offering, at least. Almost fool me twice. Proving an expectation finally realized, the 17-proof ABV is fairly well integrated. As far as bubbles go, this is quite average, nothing to dwell on; the body a lightweight medium weight, with graciousness, and surprising smoothness. It finishes off-dry, the suspiciously grainy malt floating in a realm of weedy hops that have been doused in Sunlight dish soap. No more foolin'.

If you had never had a DIPA before, and then stumbled upon this, you might think it all right. Not actually bad, or maybe even the shit. However, your concept of 'good', or 'great', or 'oh my fucking Jebus' wouldn't provide much counterbalance. Coming from the other side of the spectrum, however, this is just dressed-up shit. (1,333 characters)

2.65/5  rDev +4.7%

22 oz. bottle tried 5 Nov 2011. Courtesy of R&S, thank you. Served in the 0.5 L Adambrau becker.

Medium sized off white head. Well carbonated. Clear dark amber in color. Sweet citrus and floral aroma. Starts very sweet, like overripe oranges. The sweetness is a bit unexpected for a double IPA. Strange off flavor that is hard to pinpoint. Medium body, warming ethanol. Bitterness is light overall, becomes a little more bitter in the finish.

Not recommended. (461 characters)

2.64/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

I got a six pack of this beer for $7.99, which is pretty great for a six pack of double IPAs. The problem though is that I love IPAs and this was disappointing. If I was looking for another beer type, it would have been better, but it lacked the hoppiness of my preferred IPAs. I was left slightly disappointed, but for the price I can't complain too much. The high gravity of this beer has something of a delayed reaction to it that's hard to explain. It seems like it hits pretty late in the brew. (499 characters)

first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last