Boatswain Twin Screw Steamer - Minhas Craft Brewery

Boatswain Twin Screw SteamerBoatswain Twin Screw Steamer

poor

Minhas Craft Brewery visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

(Beer added by: mactrail on 11-20-2011)

CEDAMA, Dec 17, 2012

rdeham, Apr 18, 2014

kkleu357, Apr 29, 2014
1.15/5  rDev -56.4%

I think this the first beer that I am about to drain pour - don't even like to review but this is that bad - i would even grade on a curve considering the price - had low expectations and even those were not meet.

Absolute no hop aroma, smells sweet, corn syrupy.

No hop taste either, very slight bitterness, super sweet malty, alcohol doesn't come through.

looks half way decent.

mouth feel is overwhelmed by sweetness.

This is seriously not that different than simpler times - not to style at all.

drewone, Jan 29, 2012
1.16/5  rDev -56.1%

Poured into wine goblet
A:clear dark amber. No carbination fat tan head dies kinda slowly good lacing but looks watery
S:Malty woody grain sweet fruit alcohol smell. This smell reminds me of cheap low grade beer. Like pbr.
T: soapy upfront acrid bitter grain alcohol not hop bitter. Slight malt backbone.some slight fruit esters The soapy bitterness lingers in the aftertaste.
M: thin watery slick like old hard grease
O:Wow this is petty nasty.its hasrsh bitter soapy and greasy .Even the 8.5% ABV IS not a saving grace.I would actually rather have a PBR a least it's clean not soapy or grain alcohol like. This tastes like I should be stripping my wood funiture with it.Good if you want to get drunk and don't care HOW! Or why!

WalterHeisenberg, May 14, 2013
1.18/5  rDev -55.3%

Bought the bomber for $2 plus change at Trader Joe's. Code 13 251 12, whatever the heck that means. Served cold in a standard pint glass at the same temperature.

Odd bitterness, very vegetal and green. Like boiled brussel sprouts. Thin, watery, and flat.
Pretty disgusting. Not much else to say. No redeeming qualities aside from the price, and that's meaningless when the quality is this poor.

Bottle claims "Our Double IPA has a pleasant bitterness from the extra hops. This is one big, bold beer!" Whoever wrote this obviously has no idea what 'pleasant bitterness', 'big', 'bold', etc, mean. No way would anyone who's ever had such a thing ever confuse this with a pale ale, much less an IPA, much much less a DOUBLE IPA. Like someone boiled some vegetables, added a bit of color, and carbonated it half-way to what a beer should be carbonated to. It's THAT bad.

Absolutely an epic fail, Trader Joe's. Unbelievably bad.

DRAINPOUR! BLEH! AVOID! GROSS!

BeerNinja007, Oct 21, 2012
1.2/5  rDev -54.5%

I got this 22oz bomber from Trader Joe's here in Portland. I think it was a cheap price and now I can understand why. Usually they have some really good products but I wouldn't consider this one of them. The appearance was burnt orange with a not much of a head or lacing on the sides of the glass. The smell was pretty non existent and off. The taste really thin for a double and it left a poor aftertaste in the mouth. If I wasn't so cheap I might poor this one out. Overall it tastes like a first time off home brewers attempt.

cswhitehorse, Feb 25, 2012
1.25/5  rDev -52.7%

Drainpour (well, not literally: I'm saving it for use in baking and booking. but even that I'm not totally sure about.)

This stuff is just dreadful. I can't even speak well to the mouhtfeel, since I hate having it in my mouth: it tastes distinctly of rotten vegetables. No hops in evidence. If others hadn't also panned it, I'd assumed I got a rotten batch.

Hideous. Awful. Terrible.

And at that, a disappointment from Trader Joe's ($2.29) since they don't normally carry true ratpiss like this.

warmstorage, Feb 28, 2013

ChanChan, Dec 07, 2012

cougfan2002, Oct 10, 2012

Herky21, Mar 13, 2013
1.43/5  rDev -45.8%

We bought at trader joes looked like a good deal for a bomber. We hate to be beer snobs but it does taste like the purchase price. Underwhelming taste, smell and mouthfeel. The color of beer is a golden amber, slight haze, minimal head. For $1.99 I would not purchase again, in fact, I poured rest of it down the drain (and we don't like to waste any beer).

dragonflygirl, Nov 12, 2012

TeamUgly, Jul 22, 2012

Captainawesome56, Dec 17, 2012

justinlaz, Mar 06, 2012

HopHeadAndy, Jan 10, 2012
1.6/5  rDev -39.4%

Poured into a Delirium glass on 8/23/12

Deep, burnt honey amber color with an effervescent, two finger head that dwindles to a much shorter foamy layer. Speckled lacing dots a few places on the glass. Better lace farther along.

Aromatics: soap, dirty orange rinds, herbal hops, soap, caramel, perfume, bread and more soap. Yuck.

The taste is bad on an equal level, though for different reasons. This thing has a candied hop taste with strange, irritable notions of tea leaves, dirt, pine bitterness and stale citrus pith. Caramel and bread thicken the middle, while sticky sweet candy fruit notes linger on the finish.

Fluffy carbonation is a bit too much for its own good, but it's close to being matched with the medium body. The overall feel is ok, aside from the sticky sweet finish.

This is a really bad DIPA and a rather poor beer in general. I won't be finishing it. Not recommended.

Ryan011235, Sep 06, 2012
1.68/5  rDev -36.4%

A - pours an amber copper with a decent half inch of dense nearly white head. A fair lacing and ok retention. Not bad looking, but the head has the look of a beer with lots of processed sugars

S - Definitely has that apple type APA fruit/mild citrus character (which I actually dislike), grainy and caramel malts as well. Smells additive heavy/unnatural.

T - I dont think I've ever dumped out a beer, literally, EVER. It may happen, probably not but I'm not going to enjoy this at all. But I don't believe in sunk costs when it comes to beer. A little sweetness comes through after a gross dry additive flavor and a mild alcohol taste (doesnt really burn, just gross). If I could give this a zero I probably would, honestly

M - Super smooth, medium bodied, seemingly no carbonation

O - Reminds me a lot of shipyard brews, probably cheaply made, quick fermentation etc. The color and density of the head on the beer, the aroma, taste and mouth feel all suffer from the cheap sugars/sweeteners presumably used in the beer. Reminds me a lot of Shipyard. at least its 8.4%? Unenjoyable

MacQ32, Jul 24, 2012
1.7/5  rDev -35.6%

22 oz bottle for $1.99 from Trader Joe's. Code on bottom is 1277 01W1277. This doesn't match up with bottle date codes online and my best guess is it was bottled on the 277th day of 2011. If that information is right it is approximately three months old.

A - Deep reddish-copper hue. Head is moderate and mostly dissipates after a few minutes.

S - Caramel and herbal with a touch of dish soap. I can't for the life of my pick out any hop aromas.

T - Grassy and sweet. This reminds me of an amber or a Märzen much more than a double IPA. Rated at 75 IBU and seems a lot less bitter than that. Finishes with pine and metallic notes. I can't wait to cleanse my palate with something else.

M - Carbonation is on the low side and is thin but sticky at the same time.

O - I only finished half the bottle and had to dump the rest. Not recommended for anyone I like.

Enish266, Jan 12, 2012

largadeer, Nov 26, 2013

mhaugo, Jul 09, 2012
1.75/5  rDev -33.7%

Just because the reviews were bad, I figured I would allow this one to age for about a year to see if it would develop some redeeming qualities. Poured into a pint glass from the bottle, the beer was a copper color with a white head. As far as side of the glass go, nothing was left behind by the foam. The aroma certainly was not a reflection of a DIPA. In fact, it was all wrong. It smelled like bananas. On the initial taste, I realize the other reviewers were pretty spot-on so good job BA community. Once I got past the rubbing alcohol burn, I noticed some citrus. In fact, reminded me of the weird aftertaste left by citrus gum. I did detect some malt and the thickness was fairly impressive, allowing this to stick around on the roof of the mouth.

This the type of craft beer that non-craft beer drinkers might be able to tolerate as it is pretty nondescript. Forking over $2.99 for a DIPA, you really do get what you pay for.

JohnnyHopps, Mar 10, 2013
1.93/5  rDev -26.9%

A: A medium copper with excellent clarity. The persistent head is light tan head with a good head stand.

S: Too estery with moderate smells like bananas but diminishes somewhat as it sits. There is a slight medicinal character, band-aid like. You've got to dig deep to find the hops there even buried under the flowery alcohol aroma which is the only pleasant smell to be found.

T: More fruit flavors with a moderate bitterness and a soapy flavor combining to be pretty harsh. Very little hops flavor with a moderately-strong caramel malt flavor. The balance is slight bitter with harsh edge. The aftertaste is of bitterness and caramel. The finish is medium, edging toward the sweet.

M: Medium bodied with a moderate carbonation. S low astringency and slickness on the palate.

O: I couldn't choke this one down as the first beer of the night do to the soap flavor mixed with the bitterness. Even if this beer died of old age a couple of years back, which would explain the lack of hops aroma and flavor, It was still a flawed beer. I hate to slam a beer but if this was a home brew I'd suggest a number of potential sources of error including; check sanitation, watch the fermentation temperature, use a high alpha acid hops, use food grade rubber hoses, rinse sanitizing solution thoroughly and of course pitch a healthy active starter. It's not infected just off.

MadScientist, Nov 26, 2012
1.95/5  rDev -26.1%

Tasted their DIPA once, and tried it again just to make sure it was what I thought it was.

Hop aroma and flavor is pretty much non-existent. Its boozy with a capital B. Actually, the glaring alcohol reminds me quite a bit of 211 Steel Reserve in that regard (its better than 211, but just so you get the idea).

Being a homebrewer, the only way you can make a DIPA taste this way is if you cut corners-- cut your hops, barley, and specialty grains and increase adjuncts like rice or sugar to boost ABV.

One redeeming value for this beer is that it could be a good "tune-up" for your palate if you were going to judge a bunch of beers. This is a quintessential example of "how not to make DIPA"

Bottom Line: This is pretty much a flop for a DIPA. I am not bashing, just calling a spade a spade. This is at the back of the pack for the style. If you are at TJ's looking at Minhas beers, their Chocolate Stout is surprisingly good and the HLV is not bad either.

Grade: D