Regal Brau - Minhas Craft Brewery

Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: ethosx19 on 12-22-2002

2.28/5  rDev -14.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

355ml bottle, at the Pizza Brew in Calgary.

This beer pours a slightly hazy medium golden yellow colour, with one finger of rather loosely foamy, bubbly dirty white head, which leaves some stringy lace around the glass as it quickly abates.

It smells of stale grainy pale malt, corn husks, musty yeast, and an unpleasant vegetal astringency. The taste is more of the same - a suggestion of actual barley malt, but one duly stamped down by the overwhelming corn pithiness employed to flesh out this offering, a mild abstract toastiness, and a late arriving mineral water character.

The carbonation is pretty sedate, the body medium-light in weight, and mostly smooth, a mild tackiness emerging once I actually started paying attention. It finishes on the dry side, still pithy and wan, the graininess cheap and unpleasant as ever was.

Pretty below average, even for the style denoted here, but ever more egregious in its overstatement on the label - "Bavarian Style Ale". Do the Germans know about this monstrosity? Woe on Minhas if those Reinheitsgebot-happy lawmakers get wind of this, eh?

2.61/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Pours a slightly hazy gold with a giant ivory head that dissipates fairly quickly.

Adjuncts of corn and sugar accompany grain and mildly earthy hops to form the aroma.

Corn and sweet malt begin the flavor profile, becoming slightly harsh and grainy mid palate, finishing fairly bitter, minerally, and earthy. There's a vegetal character that is offputting.

Body is moderate, with carbonation on the high side, and an astringent finish.

Seems very adjunct-laden. There's a tinny, minerally quality that is offputting, as well. Too sweet and corny.

2.53/5  rDev -4.9%

I'm not so sure this is retired. It comes in an ominous old school looking case pack.

12 oz brown twist-off bottle.

It pours a dull gold with a fizzy white head that quickly dissipates. Even for style standards this one looks pretty bad.

It actually has a grainy smell with real barley, though there is a certain must that reminds me of corn.

The taste is odd, it has a nice malt and hop presence for the style, but also the taste of cardboard and a bit of corn. It seems like they were going for an adjunct lager that was as high-quality as possible.

Not very good, but not bad considering the style.

1.84/5  rDev -30.8%

The in law bought a 6 pack for fishing. At $5.98 for a 6 pack, he couldn't turn it down. I wish he would have spent the extra cash for Coors. Tasted like watery malt liquor, especially when it got hot. Funny thing is, I fully expect to a case in his fridge very soon.

3.39/5  rDev +27.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Poured a golden hue with a surprisingly decent amount of head. Smell wise I could detect sweetened corn. As for taste this was very smooth and drinkable with some sweetness to it.

2.33/5  rDev -12.4%

There is nothing regal about this beer. Light amber in color, not much head, low carbonation, and a grain smell. The taste is a little malty with a low hop finish. The label says "private stock" and the usual junk about choicest grains and imported hops. I don't see much difference between this and a Bud. A future purchase is unlikely.

4.55/5  rDev +71.1%

I was amazed. I went to pick up some beer for super bowl at Kwick Trip. While looking through the usual suspects I spotted a 30pack for $10. It was an offer I could not refused.

I walked it home and finished my stuff. When I cracked one open and tasted it. I was presently surprised. It was tasty and full bodied. So I looked it up on the Weber. I punched a few listings for old cans and bottles.

When I landed here and saw it was brewed by Mihas. I was pleasantly surprised. Mihas always puts out good beer.

I am enjoying a can now with cheese, sausage, and crackers.

It is good stuff. I am going to stock up before the zombies begin their attacks.

Regal Brau from Minhas Craft Brewery
- out of 100 based on 7 ratings.