Lazy Mutt Gluten Free - Minhas Craft Brewery

Lazy Mutt Gluten FreeLazy Mutt Gluten Free

Minhas Craft Brewery visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.70% ABV

(Beer added by: biboergosum on 05-16-2013)

rogerdandy, Jul 16, 2014
3.94/5  rDev +102.1%

Hi everyone -

I believe its all about personal taste - and as subjective as that may be - we all have an opinion and certain tastes.

Some like dark rich beers, others like light white beers, others like beers that taste bitter that I personally wouldn't give you 2 cents for... But that's me - that's my personal choice.

I also like ciders and anything else that doesn't cause me to bloat and feel awful afterwards. To me, that's as important as the time when you consume the beverage.

If you expect Lazy Mutt gluten free beer to taste like the conventional beers made of wheat & barley you will be disappointed - at best. It's not made from wheat and barley and therefore I believe it shouldn't be approached as such. Expectations are the difference here.

When I tried it the first time I reminded myself that it won't be like the wheat / barley beers, because it isn't made with the same ingredients.

I found that I liked it - it has a deep- almost raw cider taste to it - and like I said before, I like most real ciders - so it wasn't much of a stretch for me.

I also found that I enjoy it more when it is really cold and drank from a chilled glass mug - again my personal taste - but that's what it's all about -

I encourage everyone to give it a chance - the first sip might be different than you are used to - but at least don't sabotage it for others by giving a negative (subjective) review - it's the only gluten free beer currently in Alberta and I for one would like to have the continued opportunity to purchase and drink it .... and you never know - it may grow on you if you give it an open minded try.

Best regards to all,
Thanks & keep on brewing gluten free!
Techschmitty from northern Alberta

techschmitty, Sep 02, 2013
1.4/5  rDev -28.2%

This gluten free beer tastes horrendous. Theres a reason why there is a dead dog on the logo; because it drank some.
When I purchased this beer I was excited to support the first gluten free beer locally brewed in my hometown of Calgary, Alberta. When I cracked the twisty I was optimistic as the fruity aromas satisfied my senses.
After taking a large mouth full, my eyes expanded and watered. I was floored with a combination of cheap white wine, wet dog, and morning breath. The aftertaste continued to linger with disappointment and rancid malt.
I would strongly recommend steering clear of this god-awful micro brew. Lastly, if you love your dog, don't let them near this grotesque beverage.

Sorry lazy mutt, but your gluten free attempt is nothing to brag about. Better luck next time!

belcherette, Aug 25, 2013
1.44/5  rDev -26.2%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

330ml bottle. Apparently this is brewed at their Calgary-based 'micro' brewery, and the ingredient list teases with the tantalizing 'fermented sorghum' and 'corn syrup'. Christ on a crutch, man. The depiction on the label suggests that this should instead be called Dead Dog ale, rather than the more pastoral 'Lazy Mutt'.

This beer pours a somewhat hazy, very pale golden straw colour, with one finger of loosely bubbly and crackling soda pop head, which dissolves before my eyes (I didn't even need to stick my finger in it), rendering absolutely zilch in the way of lace.

It smells of oxidized cheap white wine, musty yeast, some stewed vegetal graininess, the most very wrong kind of dusty old barnyard, and spoiled apples. The taste is erp, uh, gaaaah, well, murp (hold it down son, you've had worse, right?) - the taste is wet, infected cardboard and nasty oxidation, incarnate, all affecting the not-used for a reason alterna-grain, the hostage-level stale fruitiness, even the pithy yeast. A sort of hollow, indistinct, and somehow warm doughiness arises, before being assimilated fully into the gritty stewed veggie morass. I've given the score a measly extra two bits because I actually succeeded in keeping it down. Barely.

The carbonation is a tad fizzy, but wait a sec, and that problem solves itself, the body medium light in weight, with a filmy pithiness that has me scraping my tongue after only a few sips, so smooth, this ain't. It finishes on the dry side, in a "the snow's all melted, what's left underneath" sort of way. Subtle, I know.

I know the parity bar has been set pretty low for this pseudo-style, and I really feel for all those celiac beer lovers out there, but this is surely not the way to go. Unpleasant, warm where it shouldn't be, and too difficult to get through a whole bottle even for research purposes. Avoid like the proverbial pizza-hating Noid.

biboergosum, May 16, 2013
Lazy Mutt Gluten Free from Minhas Craft Brewery
- out of 100 based on 4 ratings.