NGB Gluten Free Lager - Minhas Craft Brewery

poor

Minhas Craft Brewery visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

(Beer added by: notchucknorris on 07-29-2013)
Reviews by the Alström Bros:

None found.

tigg924

1.71/5  rDev -13.6%

Appearance: minimal head, moderate carbonation, golden in color, clear--looks good but looks can be deceiving

Smell: toasted malt and honey

Taste: big toasted malt, light pepper, old apple cider

Mouthfeel: sweet, light body, high and prickly carbonation

Overall: First beer in a while that I could not finish..tastes like a bad non-alcoholic apple cider/beer mixture..Could really use a bit of bittering..avoid this one.

10-28-2013 15:36:47 | More by tigg924

Washington

12-05-2013 19:03:30 | More by Eighty
notchucknorris

2.38/5  rDev +20.2%

We just got this in at Trader Joes. It's the first gluten free beer I've seen our company carry, so I decided it was worth a try.

A: Pours a clear golden color with a thin fizzy white head and lots of visible carbonation in the glass.

S: Very strange. Apple cider like with a strange vegetal quality to it. Hints of rubber, corn syrup and latex. A bit of baby powder as well. I wouldn't call this pleasant.

T: This is...well, it isn't good. Tastes like a very cheaply made adjunct. A bit of a sour, underripe red apple flavor upfront followed by a lot of corn syrup, lemon chalk (if there's such a thing), and a strange sour, syrupy flavor on the finish. Mouthfeel is light, but leaves this strange coating on your tongue. If you're looking for gluten free options, I would stay away from this one.

07-29-2013 20:38:27 | More by notchucknorris
bhpmoto

Washington

1.63/5  rDev -17.7%

Wow! My wife just brought some home from Trader Joes... I have been gluten free for 6 years now; and it sucks... First off, i noticed that this beer is only 4%....If you have to drink gluten free beer or cider, you want at least 5% ....because most of it is bad. I don't really care about appearance, mostly care about taste. I have a habbit of smelling the beer as I open it, I even made a custom bottle opener that facilitates this bizarre habit.

Smell: sour with a hint of new tire.

Taste: Well.... I'll start of by letting you know that my wife bet me a dollar that I couldn't finish one (our standard bet). I am determined to win this bet, but am not 100% sure of my abilities to ingest this particular "beer" at this moment in time. It kind of tastes like liquid wood with a tinge of ether. The after taste is what I imagine what a woodchuck would taste if a wood chuck would vomit wood...

Mouthfeel. kind of like beer, but just a little acrid.

Overall. I'm still not sure if I will win this bet or not.

08-29-2013 05:38:31 | More by bhpmoto
TappaKeggaBrew

2.8/5  rDev +41.4%

A: Clear and gold. Head is ver thin, fades immediately, and leaves no lacing.

S: The first whiff smells like a light cider. Sniffing more deeply reveals faint grain notes as well. There's nothing more to it than that.

T: Like the aroma, the taste is more cider than beer, with mildly tart fruit notes dominating. There are pale grain notes as well, and tangy bitterness in the finish that are probably hops, but not convincingly so.

M: Thin, with only mediocre carbonation. A hint of dry in the finish.

O: A little bit cider, a little bit pale ale, but not enough of either. It does not deserve the title of "lager" that it bears on the label. I've had worse, but I've also had much better, including from gluten-free beers.

03-23-2014 20:06:02 | More by TappaKeggaBrew

1.5/5  rDev -24.2%

11-02-2013 02:13:44 | More by WKyle
TheMarkE

2.44/5  rDev +23.2%

Appearance: Gold colored with a moderate head and lacing.

Smell: Funky. I can only assume that is the sorghum.

Taste: Funky. Is that really what fermented sorghum tastes like?

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, while the funkiness continues in the aftertaste.

The Verdict: Funky, and I don’t mean that in a good way. If you have to go with gluten free, I suggest Dogfish Head’s Tweason’ale, cider, or just about anything else. FWIW, this is from Minhas Brewing, the same guys that produced Trader Joe’s Boatswain and Simpler Times labels.

08-05-2013 21:17:07 | More by TheMarkE
mwar

Kentucky

02-22-2014 19:59:39 | More by mwar
elNopalero

3.31/5  rDev +67.2%

This pours a clear golden straw with tight fizzy bubbles that dissipate in an instant.

There's a musty slightly tart aroma to this, like a soured mash almost.

The flavor has an underlying tartness to it which reminds me of a Berliner weisse with a quick finish. Not a beer that I would necessarily crave but it definitely exceeded my expectations for a sorghum brew.

It's light, 4%, and gluten free. I’m sure it’s not the best expression of the style but I was pleasantly surprised by how it came out.

09-11-2013 21:27:45 | More by elNopalero