NGB Gluten Free Lager - Minhas Craft Brewery

poor

Minhas Craft Brewery visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.00% ABV

(Beer added by: notchucknorris on 07-29-2013)
3.31/5  rDev +59.1%

This pours a clear golden straw with tight fizzy bubbles that dissipate in an instant.

There's a musty slightly tart aroma to this, like a soured mash almost.

The flavor has an underlying tartness to it which reminds me of a Berliner weisse with a quick finish. Not a beer that I would necessarily crave but it definitely exceeded my expectations for a sorghum brew.

It's light, 4%, and gluten free. I’m sure it’s not the best expression of the style but I was pleasantly surprised by how it came out.

2.8/5  rDev +34.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

A: Clear and gold. Head is ver thin, fades immediately, and leaves no lacing.

S: The first whiff smells like a light cider. Sniffing more deeply reveals faint grain notes as well. There's nothing more to it than that.

T: Like the aroma, the taste is more cider than beer, with mildly tart fruit notes dominating. There are pale grain notes as well, and tangy bitterness in the finish that are probably hops, but not convincingly so.

M: Thin, with only mediocre carbonation. A hint of dry in the finish.

O: A little bit cider, a little bit pale ale, but not enough of either. It does not deserve the title of "lager" that it bears on the label. I've had worse, but I've also had much better, including from gluten-free beers.

2.5/5  rDev +20.2%

2.44/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Gold colored with a moderate head and lacing.

Smell: Funky. I can only assume that is the sorghum.

Taste: Funky. Is that really what fermented sorghum tastes like?

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, while the funkiness continues in the aftertaste.

The Verdict: Funky, and I don’t mean that in a good way. If you have to go with gluten free, I suggest Dogfish Head’s Tweason’ale, cider, or just about anything else. FWIW, this is from Minhas Brewing, the same guys that produced Trader Joe’s Boatswain and Simpler Times labels.

2.38/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

We just got this in at Trader Joes. It's the first gluten free beer I've seen our company carry, so I decided it was worth a try.

A: Pours a clear golden color with a thin fizzy white head and lots of visible carbonation in the glass.

S: Very strange. Apple cider like with a strange vegetal quality to it. Hints of rubber, corn syrup and latex. A bit of baby powder as well. I wouldn't call this pleasant.

T: This is...well, it isn't good. Tastes like a very cheaply made adjunct. A bit of a sour, underripe red apple flavor upfront followed by a lot of corn syrup, lemon chalk (if there's such a thing), and a strange sour, syrupy flavor on the finish. Mouthfeel is light, but leaves this strange coating on your tongue. If you're looking for gluten free options, I would stay away from this one.

2.25/5  rDev +8.2%

2.1/5  rDev +1%

12 ounce bottle. Served in a pint glass, the beer pours a clear gold color with about a half inch white head that has decent enough retention. Not much lacing. Aroma isn't exactly pleasing, the brew smells like watered down apple juice, bready malt/grain, white grapes, and a weird slightly tart smell. The brew mostly tastes the same way, like watery apple juice, white grapes, bready malt/grain, and some corn. Mouthfeel/body is medium, it's a bit syrupy with low carbonation. I've had some other gluten free beers before, but this is probably the worst one I've had that I can remember. On the bright side, I picked this up for just $1.17 a single at Trader Joe's. Even for a Trader Joe's house brand beer, this one is bad. That's why I make a point to usually buy singles there. But with that being said, I drank the bottle without any problems so I guess it couldn't have been too horrible.

1.71/5  rDev -17.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

Appearance: minimal head, moderate carbonation, golden in color, clear--looks good but looks can be deceiving

Smell: toasted malt and honey

Taste: big toasted malt, light pepper, old apple cider

Mouthfeel: sweet, light body, high and prickly carbonation

Overall: First beer in a while that I could not finish..tastes like a bad non-alcoholic apple cider/beer mixture..Could really use a bit of bittering..avoid this one.

1.63/5  rDev -21.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

Wow! My wife just brought some home from Trader Joes... I have been gluten free for 6 years now; and it sucks... First off, i noticed that this beer is only 4%....If you have to drink gluten free beer or cider, you want at least 5% ....because most of it is bad. I don't really care about appearance, mostly care about taste. I have a habbit of smelling the beer as I open it, I even made a custom bottle opener that facilitates this bizarre habit.

Smell: sour with a hint of new tire.

Taste: Well.... I'll start of by letting you know that my wife bet me a dollar that I couldn't finish one (our standard bet). I am determined to win this bet, but am not 100% sure of my abilities to ingest this particular "beer" at this moment in time. It kind of tastes like liquid wood with a tinge of ether. The after taste is what I imagine what a woodchuck would taste if a wood chuck would vomit wood...

Mouthfeel. kind of like beer, but just a little acrid.

Overall. I'm still not sure if I will win this bet or not.

1.5/5  rDev -27.9%