Grimbergen Dubbel - Brouwerij Alken-Maes

Grimbergen DubbelGrimbergen Dubbel

Brouwerij Alken-Maes visit their website

Dubbel |  6.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-11-2001)
3.85/5  rDev +1.3%

Dark ruby red appearance dubbel that leaves a quickly dissipating head. Smells like old fruit but not in a bad way. A Bit of raisin scent is noticeable as well. Tastes like Raisins, maybe a bit of prune. Not bad, but not too much my style. Mouthfeel is good and it sits on your tongue very solidly the whole way through. Drinkability is the same.

Overall a decent dubbel. Not my favorite but still quality.

Psilo707, Feb 04, 2009
4.38/5  rDev +15.3%

Picked up a 6-pack today and since I love this style I was not dissapointed. Drank it in my Duvel tulip glass.

S - Bananas, caramel, sweet malt, and some faint citrus (orange).

A - Dark caramel color with ruby red hues. When poured it showed a half inch, off white head that dissipated fairly quick.

T - Love the creamy malt flavor, with a bit of prunelike back palate aftertaste. I also get some raisins and yeast, like a nice breakfast cinnamon/raisin bagel.

M - Very smooth and silky!

I love Dubbels and I really enjoyed this brew.

Note: My wife hates beer and she had two with me...I guess we're getting it again.

Salud!

Yimosan, Jan 31, 2009
3.8/5  rDev 0%

This beer looks like weak coffee with a light brown one inch head.
The is a very light fruity smell.
This was my first Dubbel and I did not know what to expect. What I got was a was a very easy to drink, sugary, very dry beer with a nice amount of carbonation.
I was pleasantly surprised. This isn't a beer I would drink more than one or two of, but with a meal it is fantastic.

confer, Jan 31, 2009
4.43/5  rDev +16.6%

Warning: The federal government has declared this beer dangerous to hop-heads. Proceed with caution.

But....

If you love the traditional Belgium Dubbel, you will certainly love this. It smells of maltiness and dry fruit. Entry is sweet, followed by a bouque of sour apple, pear, and sweet grain. Finish is complex, with some sweet and dry notes of the fruit and malt tingling the tongue. I could drink a six-pack of this tonight... in fact, I might....

Braggadocio, Jan 25, 2009
4.83/5  rDev +27.1%

Randomly tasted this beer a few months ago and immediately loved it. I have had it on several more occasions and love it even more.

Very flavorful, each time I drink it I feel like I can taste something else in there. Not too sweet though, just a hint of the flavor - raisens, chocolate... A dark Belgian Ale, it is actually somewhat light tasting (in a good way depending on your mood).

dgthompson, Jan 17, 2009
2.78/5  rDev -26.8%

A - a beautiful pour. Deep amber with an inch of off-white head. As the head slowly goes away it leaves great lace and ends up in a creamy, bumpy layer on top of the brew. No visible signs of carbonation.

S - Coffee, grapes, toasted malts. Almost has a generic red wine undertone. Hints of raisins and a copper penny. Not overwhelming.

T - Very sweet then leaves you almost with a brandy/cheap red wine taste after swallowing. I can't say I like this very much.

M - Medium body, low cabonation. Because of the brandy-like taste, I expected it to have a warming sensation, but it never happened.

D - I'm having trouble finishing this one. I can't imagine wanting another. Maybe it's the style that I don't like, but I found this fairly disgusting.

smedley, Jan 06, 2009
3.5/5  rDev -7.9%

330 cl bottle poured in to a goblet

Pours a dark brown with a thin tan curling head.

smell of grape, banana, and yeast.

Taste is sort of mash of miscellaneous fruit, malt, and some yeast. Tastes good, but no discernable great taste.

Mouthfeel is good, and the balance leaves it an easy drinking beer.

I didn't know what to expect, but wouldn't search it out with better beers available.

aubuc1, Jan 01, 2009
3.35/5  rDev -11.8%

11.2oz poured into Gouden Carolus goblet

Appearance: Pours a dark cherry brown with plenty of carbonation and half inch white head that dissipated quickly. Some lacing but not much.

Smell: Spice and caramel hit my nostrils right away along with a slight nut aroma. Also very subtle brown sugar and chocolate.

Taste: The first and most prominent flavor is a malty caramel. Slightly sour and finishes with the brown sugar and chocolate detected in the smell. Also there is some dark fruit flavors that are difficult to distinguish, maybe dark cherries or figs, that compliment the flavor nicely.

Mouthfeel: Well carbonated and light bodied.

Drinkability: This is not my favorite style in the world but I could definitely put down a few in a row and may even explore more of this style because of this one.

Overall: I've only had a few Belgian doubles but the ones I have tried are actual Belgians, not Belgian style, so I have to imagine they are pretty true to form. It's hard to recall the ones I've had before but I think I can safely say that this is my favorite Belgian double so far.

optiontwo, Dec 24, 2008
3.25/5  rDev -14.5%

I picked up a six pack of this in a grocery store in East Harlem with my brother in law over the Thanksgiving weekend. I was going to pull for Peak Organic, but I've already had them at the Spring 08 L.I. festival.

A: Not chilled for long and poured into a goblet to display a mahagony color and red tints. A tight 3/4 finger head that settled into a 1/2 incredible head of ridges and dunes of suds and lace on the side of the glass.

S: The nose is primarily toasted malt with very little fruit. Time helps bring out some ester sspects but not much yeast.

T: It just kept going downhill for this beer. It's a bland but lacking depth beyond some figs and green grapes. While I'm a fan of sweet, this is too much and needs some zest and zing with spices and yeast. As it warms, a bitterness arrives, pokes around then fades away. This is a generic Dubbel for the most part.

M: Remained carbonated but oily with a thick viscous nature. My brother in law didn't finish his first but I soldiered on with this and several more thinking my taste buds were overloaded from the wonderful home cooked food.

D: I learned a lesson about assuming all things Belgian are going to be good. After polishing off the six pack, I read up on the brewery and larger owners. I'm inclinded to think this is safe take on the style. Nothing bad about it but would not try again.

Brianmerrilyn, Dec 12, 2008
3.8/5  rDev 0%

A: Dark reddish hues in a beaut brown shade, easily pouring a 1 finger head, with good retention& lacing.

S: Dark Fruitiness...quite discreet though.

T: Full of fruity esters, very rounded, with fruits, & some nice caramel sweetness. Maybe a little too much of an iron sensation (little like the taste of blood). But this didn't put me off a very pleasant beer. Also again (as with dark ales lately) I got a real vegemite flavour (I don't like vegemite much)...much need my palate re-aligned with some dirty lagers I reckon.

M: Soft carbonation, creamy & easy

D: This was a very nice Dubbel...easily enjoy again.

WHROO, Dec 10, 2008
4.45/5  rDev +17.1%

Had this on tap at the Hopleaf in chicago on a much too crowded night, served in a goblet with the brewery's logo.

A: Dark ebony, barely any light visible through the glass with a head that quickly vanishes.

S: Fruity was about all I could get before the smell disappeared as quickly as the head.

T: Wow, what a taste. Something I've not experienced among many dark beers. A taste as fruity as the smell that begins with raisins maybe some fig before dipping into spice; cinnamon and light vanilla with the alcohol and finally the hops bringing up the rear to slightly balance it out.

M: Smooth as silk, very little tingle on the tongue.

D: This is a brew I could sip on all night or used to follow a light meal. Very drinkable.

Nurb, Nov 19, 2008
3.83/5  rDev +0.8%

Served from 12oz stubby bottle into my Duvel chalice.

Appearance: Darkish red in color, a pretty nice head to this one with minimal lacing.

Smell: A menage of fruit, a little yeast & chocolate. The fruit emits strongly without any noise in the nose.

Taste: Again, the fruit hops are there, a little toffee/caramelization, bready, yet reserved. Taste a little how it smells.

Mouthfeel: Medium carbonations, pretty smooth and a nice amount of thickness on the backbone. Wets out to a thin wisp on the tongue but keeps it's boldness on the way down.

Drinkability: This is a pretty enjoyable Dubbel, and at 6.50, you won't go wrong with these in 6 pack form. Def. a beer I would come back to.

thespaceman, Nov 18, 2008
4.68/5  rDev +23.2%

I had this on tap last night and didn't take notes:

It poured a reddish brown with a thin head.

The smell was very inviting: malty and fruity with the obvious Belgian yeast profile.

Taste: I loved this beer, probably one of my favorite doubles ever, had a lot of the fruity malty flavors that you expect from a good strong dark ale - i.e. the overall flavor was more balanced between malt sweetness, esthers, and hop bitterness than other dubbels that I've been fond of (e.g., Westmalle, Ommegang, Meredsous 8).

Mouthfeel: the most difficult aspect for me to recall, but I don't remember any unpleasant characterisitics.

Drinkability: Went down great with my burger. I couldn't stop sipping this one after every bite.

Overall, if I could find this bottled for less than the standard going rate of Belgian imports I'd buy it regularly. One of my favorites, especially for the style.

erok, Nov 15, 2008
3.5/5  rDev -7.9%

Well this is my second Grimbergen I've tried. I enjoyed the Blonde, so I assumed this one would be good.
This beer lacks flavor and has a watered down taste to me.

It pours the color of Aunt Jemima's maple syrup. Not much head.

Smell is lovely I gotta say, like a dark dank pub beer. sweet floral and yeasty tones.

Tastes acidic or metallic, a little of both maybe.

In all fairness I had Ommegang abbey ale a couple of times and it ruined me for the style, nothing has yet to compare. Try it if yo haven't. If you know of a better one please let me know!

I've also tried 3 of the 7 Trappist beers and they have helped ruin me to all other main stream Belgium beers.

drjones633, Oct 21, 2008
3.35/5  rDev -11.8%

liked it on tap, quite drinkable and wanted to share it with a friend so got a six pack.

pours dark like a cola with small head and lace. smell is quick fruity and nice malt sweetness. beligan sugar release come complex qualities. taste is first rust. then it opens up a bit to some sugars but not as interesting as the odor. not hoppy but metalic nature takes from the malty fruity. not too creamy. some nice texture but nothing to substancial. had it on tap... and i don't usually seems to think so but much much better.

rtepiak, Oct 20, 2008
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured this one from the bottle into a chimay goblet.

A dark amberish color, with a nice creamy head. The smell is nice, but not too strong. Hints of fruit, smells a little sweet.

The taste is a bit metallic. Muted as well, just not as strong as I expected... too watery.

I wonder if I just got a bad bottle or something... but this just isn't a good beer on the initial pour.

theboozecruise, Oct 16, 2008
3.38/5  rDev -11.1%

I had this Beer from a bottle poured into an oversized wine glass. Purchased from Plaza (the best place to purchase great beers in Tucson)

A: A fine burgundy in the light of my studio, although I believe in better lighting a dark amber, which illuminates in the light. A nice white head with a persistent lace which lasts throughout the drink.
S: Esters and Alcohol on first sniff, maybe its just my imagination but I get the slight image of berries, wine and wood when I sniff this beer, although the alcohol and fruity esters clearly pervades.
T: awww the spiced and yeasty taste of a belgian brew. The sugary taste first hits the tip of your tongue, and the spice really taps into the peripherals.
M: Medium bodied, the spice dances on the palate for a moment than is gone.
D: Finishes with an aftertaste of spiced malts. Behind the spiced aftertaste is a rather pedestrian coating of subpar drink. Others have noted that there is far too much carbonation, but I believe once this beer (at least from bottle) runs flat, there is a noticeable decline in the overall drink. The taste is good, but the aftertaste is boring, average, and tiresome.

There be Piraats after that beer

TucsonPIRAAT, Oct 06, 2008

A: Pours to a dark amber (yet very clear) the head quickly fades to a lace. CO2 can be seen making its way from the bottom on out of the beer.

S: Lots of floral and fruit aroma

T: Flavor is somewhat spicey which might be carried over from the nose. Lots of caramel flavors and what I might describe as raisin or a slight dark or burnt toffee. Although the beer is quite dry the flavor lingers a decent while after swallowed.

M: Very carbonated and dry which makes it seem a little thin. I get a little tingle on my tongue from the carbonation. I have had this on draft and its a little less carbonated which I think serves the beer better.

D: I could definitely sit down and have a couple of these. I wish the carbonation was pulled back just a tad. All in all, a pretty good dubble out of the bottle but if you can get it on tap its much better.

slinhans, Oct 04, 2008
3.53/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Very little head when poured, and light brown in color. Second bottle was poured more vigorously and the head that developed was lost quickly. Smelled faintly sweet, with no one scent striking me right away. After a couple sips some fruits were picked up like figs and courants. Seemed a little too carbonated and would have been more drinkable if it went down smoother. Very decent but does not stand out like other Belgian dubbels that I have tried.

ericlawton007, Sep 29, 2008
3.2/5  rDev -15.8%

A: Poured a dark cranberry-amber with a foamy 1 finger khaki colored head that pitted in the middle leaving a light spotted lacing.

S: surprisingly soft and neutral with light caramel and fruit but was hard to distinguish.

T: The flavor was much the same as the aroma, neutral and lacking in complexity and layering. Some light dark caramel and raisins but that was pretty much it. Overall good though only moderately exciting. Some light alcohol and raisins on the finish.

M: light, oily with a slight sour maltiness.

D: A moderately good, clean double though lacked in character and flavor. Not bad, just nothing that really distinguish itself or warrants calling it good. Average.

beerthulhu, Sep 22, 2008
4.15/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Served on tap at Der Braumeister in Cleveland, Ohio in the correct glass with "Grimbergen" writen on the side.

A Dark Body, Fairly thick head.

S Minimal, sweet smell, malty.

T Smooth, matly, sweet, pleasing.

M Full for sure. This is a very hardy beer.

D Very good. In fact, this beer is pretty much ideal for drinkability due to its Smooothness.

adamette, Sep 17, 2008
3.6/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I poured this one from an 11.2oz brown bottle into a pint shaker glass.

A= This ale poured a deep amber brown color with a 2" loose, pillowy off-white head. The head soon dropped to a skim and left very little lacing.

S= I aromas of sweet maltiness, treacle, candy sugar, and some yeastiness.

T= This ale tasted of sweet malts, and syrupy treacle. Faint yeast flavors too, but overall very few of the complex flavors I expect from a Belgian dubbel. Not much in the way of alcohol spiciness either.

MF= I found the body to be a bit thin. Carbonation was moderate only.

D= My first truly disappointing ale in this style from Belgium. Not terrible, but nothing to write home about either. I could take it or leave it.

spointon, Sep 15, 2008
3.53/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle: Poured a deep brown color ale with a light off-white head with good retention and some lacing. Aroma consists of candi sugar with some deep Belgian sweet malt. Taste is a well balance mix between some candi sugar and some semi-sweet Belgian malt. Body is quite full for the style with some good carbonation and no apparent alcohol. This one may be lacking some complexity (dry fruits for example) but still a very good and solid example for the style.

Phyl21ca, Sep 11, 2008

Pours a ruby brown in color. Decent amount of pillowy head. Decent carbonation. I'm usually not a big fan of Dubbels, but this had more flavors that I do like. There was a definite toffee flavor, as well as a very nice dark fruit appearing as well. Which I didn't mind at all. Good beer.

FtownThrowDown, Sep 11, 2008
4.28/5  rDev +12.6%

This was a great experience and a delicious beer.

A: mahagony with an amber glow. large white head.

S: cinnamon-raisen spice, toffee, fruity with some apple notes.

T: superb flavors of green apple and caramel, much like a caramel apple, with touches of cinnamon and other spicy and fruity esters. Flavors meld well, are complex and deliciou.

M: smooth with moderate carbonation, holds its own and had depth of mouthfeel.

D: not too high on the alcohol but it definately is strong, yet I think quite drinkable.

NatetheGreat, Sep 06, 2008