Grimbergen Dubbel - Brouwerij Alken-Maes

Grimbergen DubbelGrimbergen Dubbel

Brouwerij Alken-Maes visit their website

Dubbel |  6.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-11-2001)
4.53/5  rDev +19.2%

25 cl bottle, smaller than shown, courtesy of fellow B-A khiasmus, whose sister purchased it in France and brought it home to the states.

Moderate pour into a 40 cl goblet yields a nice two-finger light tan head over a dark mahogany-ruby body. Head fades slowly to a thin lid, and leaves ample lacing.

Smell is spectacular. Richest aroma of any Dubbel I've ever had, by a large margin. You can smell this thang from three feet away. Raisins, dates, dark cherries, dark chocolate, pineapple! WOWOWOW! Mild roasted malt underneath, and a hint of floral hops. I'd give this a 5.5 for smell if I could.

Taste is like the smell, only not as strong. A nice cord of sour yeast binds all of the fruitiness in a neat package. Really good.

Mouthfeel is smooth and expansive, but not cloying. Great soft carbonation.

Very drinkable.

I can't believe this rates only a B+. If this were readily available around here, I'd go into debt drinking it.

Thanks, khiasmus, for this big gem in a little bottle.

3.83/5  rDev +0.8%

Grimbergen Dubbel
Brouwerij Alken-Maes
Style: Dubbel
ABV: 6.50 %

Reviewed 1/5/09 @ home, bottle>chalice glass
A 3.5 Dark red malty red brick/roasted amber color, 1 finger head, mediocre retention and lacing
S 3.5 Semi sweet aroma, raison/toffee/dark fruit notes
T 4.0 Malty, deep candy sugar notes, similar to smell, dark fruit and malt notes
MF 3.5 - semi syrupy, medium body for a dubbel, medium+ carbonation
D 4.0 - very drinkable dubbel ale, less intense fruity notes than some others, not to rich like some, less complex than other dubbels. A sweeter sugary dubbel for sure.

2.63/5  rDev -30.8%

This dark brown colored ale pours with a very large light tan foam that lasts well in the glass. Unfortunately, this Belgian ale is not bottle conditioned. Very light notes of hop and dark fruit are present in the nose. Flavors are very muddled and muted, not helped by the watery texture due to the lack of natural carbonation. Not an awful beer.

4.33/5  rDev +13.9%

I can't believe this one only averages a B+! The nose and taste are of plum, grape, apple and brandy. Mouthfeel isn't great, but who cares? I'm really impressed with this beer. It's so fruity and sweet. So what if it's "simple"? It's accessible and delicious to both the well-experienced and uninitiated alike.

4.18/5  rDev +10%

sat down with a cup of beef turkey chili with this at the Cafe Hollander.

It poured a Burgundy color,with a defined head that held quite well.

though reviews i have commented on a raisiny aroma, alas i didn't catch that.;I did though pick up oranges and cinnamon. It finished quite well, and held its own with the hearty chili.

definately will have again when i get the chance.

3.25/5  rDev -14.5%

12 ounce bottle from Eddie's Liquor right down the street from my house along with the Blonde, hard to believe this is lower in alcohol than the blonde but that was more of a tripel anyways, consumed both on 2/4/08, reviewed from notes, poured into my Grimbergen goblet, color is a mix between a dark red and medium brown, thin 1/2 inch creamy beige head, decent retention, not much lacing, smell had toffee, milk chocolate, light bubble gum, brandy, Belgian yeast, and berries, taste starts off with some toffee, more malt in the middle, mostly caramel, finish is slightly dry but has a chocolate bite, gets more sweet as time goes on and it warms, mouthfeel is both sweet and chewy but pretty weak, moderate level of carbonation, medium bodied, taste does not last, could drink a few of these, could get heavy and sweet after some time, better than the Blonde from this brewery but still not great, worth trying

3.85/5  rDev +1.3%

Dark ruby red appearance dubbel that leaves a quickly dissipating head. Smells like old fruit but not in a bad way. A Bit of raisin scent is noticeable as well. Tastes like Raisins, maybe a bit of prune. Not bad, but not too much my style. Mouthfeel is good and it sits on your tongue very solidly the whole way through. Drinkability is the same.

Overall a decent dubbel. Not my favorite but still quality.

4.38/5  rDev +15.3%

Picked up a 6-pack today and since I love this style I was not dissapointed. Drank it in my Duvel tulip glass.

S - Bananas, caramel, sweet malt, and some faint citrus (orange).

A - Dark caramel color with ruby red hues. When poured it showed a half inch, off white head that dissipated fairly quick.

T - Love the creamy malt flavor, with a bit of prunelike back palate aftertaste. I also get some raisins and yeast, like a nice breakfast cinnamon/raisin bagel.

M - Very smooth and silky!

I love Dubbels and I really enjoyed this brew.

Note: My wife hates beer and she had two with me...I guess we're getting it again.

Salud!

3.8/5  rDev 0%

This beer looks like weak coffee with a light brown one inch head.
The is a very light fruity smell.
This was my first Dubbel and I did not know what to expect. What I got was a was a very easy to drink, sugary, very dry beer with a nice amount of carbonation.
I was pleasantly surprised. This isn't a beer I would drink more than one or two of, but with a meal it is fantastic.

4.43/5  rDev +16.6%

Warning: The federal government has declared this beer dangerous to hop-heads. Proceed with caution.

But....

If you love the traditional Belgium Dubbel, you will certainly love this. It smells of maltiness and dry fruit. Entry is sweet, followed by a bouque of sour apple, pear, and sweet grain. Finish is complex, with some sweet and dry notes of the fruit and malt tingling the tongue. I could drink a six-pack of this tonight... in fact, I might....

4.83/5  rDev +27.1%

Randomly tasted this beer a few months ago and immediately loved it. I have had it on several more occasions and love it even more.

Very flavorful, each time I drink it I feel like I can taste something else in there. Not too sweet though, just a hint of the flavor - raisens, chocolate... A dark Belgian Ale, it is actually somewhat light tasting (in a good way depending on your mood).

2.78/5  rDev -26.8%

A - a beautiful pour. Deep amber with an inch of off-white head. As the head slowly goes away it leaves great lace and ends up in a creamy, bumpy layer on top of the brew. No visible signs of carbonation.

S - Coffee, grapes, toasted malts. Almost has a generic red wine undertone. Hints of raisins and a copper penny. Not overwhelming.

T - Very sweet then leaves you almost with a brandy/cheap red wine taste after swallowing. I can't say I like this very much.

M - Medium body, low cabonation. Because of the brandy-like taste, I expected it to have a warming sensation, but it never happened.

D - I'm having trouble finishing this one. I can't imagine wanting another. Maybe it's the style that I don't like, but I found this fairly disgusting.

3.5/5  rDev -7.9%

330 cl bottle poured in to a goblet

Pours a dark brown with a thin tan curling head.

smell of grape, banana, and yeast.

Taste is sort of mash of miscellaneous fruit, malt, and some yeast. Tastes good, but no discernable great taste.

Mouthfeel is good, and the balance leaves it an easy drinking beer.

I didn't know what to expect, but wouldn't search it out with better beers available.

3.35/5  rDev -11.8%

11.2oz poured into Gouden Carolus goblet

Appearance: Pours a dark cherry brown with plenty of carbonation and half inch white head that dissipated quickly. Some lacing but not much.

Smell: Spice and caramel hit my nostrils right away along with a slight nut aroma. Also very subtle brown sugar and chocolate.

Taste: The first and most prominent flavor is a malty caramel. Slightly sour and finishes with the brown sugar and chocolate detected in the smell. Also there is some dark fruit flavors that are difficult to distinguish, maybe dark cherries or figs, that compliment the flavor nicely.

Mouthfeel: Well carbonated and light bodied.

Drinkability: This is not my favorite style in the world but I could definitely put down a few in a row and may even explore more of this style because of this one.

Overall: I've only had a few Belgian doubles but the ones I have tried are actual Belgians, not Belgian style, so I have to imagine they are pretty true to form. It's hard to recall the ones I've had before but I think I can safely say that this is my favorite Belgian double so far.

3.25/5  rDev -14.5%

I picked up a six pack of this in a grocery store in East Harlem with my brother in law over the Thanksgiving weekend. I was going to pull for Peak Organic, but I've already had them at the Spring 08 L.I. festival.

A: Not chilled for long and poured into a goblet to display a mahagony color and red tints. A tight 3/4 finger head that settled into a 1/2 incredible head of ridges and dunes of suds and lace on the side of the glass.

S: The nose is primarily toasted malt with very little fruit. Time helps bring out some ester sspects but not much yeast.

T: It just kept going downhill for this beer. It's a bland but lacking depth beyond some figs and green grapes. While I'm a fan of sweet, this is too much and needs some zest and zing with spices and yeast. As it warms, a bitterness arrives, pokes around then fades away. This is a generic Dubbel for the most part.

M: Remained carbonated but oily with a thick viscous nature. My brother in law didn't finish his first but I soldiered on with this and several more thinking my taste buds were overloaded from the wonderful home cooked food.

D: I learned a lesson about assuming all things Belgian are going to be good. After polishing off the six pack, I read up on the brewery and larger owners. I'm inclinded to think this is safe take on the style. Nothing bad about it but would not try again.

3.8/5  rDev 0%

A: Dark reddish hues in a beaut brown shade, easily pouring a 1 finger head, with good retention& lacing.

S: Dark Fruitiness...quite discreet though.

T: Full of fruity esters, very rounded, with fruits, & some nice caramel sweetness. Maybe a little too much of an iron sensation (little like the taste of blood). But this didn't put me off a very pleasant beer. Also again (as with dark ales lately) I got a real vegemite flavour (I don't like vegemite much)...much need my palate re-aligned with some dirty lagers I reckon.

M: Soft carbonation, creamy & easy

D: This was a very nice Dubbel...easily enjoy again.

4.45/5  rDev +17.1%

Had this on tap at the Hopleaf in chicago on a much too crowded night, served in a goblet with the brewery's logo.

A: Dark ebony, barely any light visible through the glass with a head that quickly vanishes.

S: Fruity was about all I could get before the smell disappeared as quickly as the head.

T: Wow, what a taste. Something I've not experienced among many dark beers. A taste as fruity as the smell that begins with raisins maybe some fig before dipping into spice; cinnamon and light vanilla with the alcohol and finally the hops bringing up the rear to slightly balance it out.

M: Smooth as silk, very little tingle on the tongue.

D: This is a brew I could sip on all night or used to follow a light meal. Very drinkable.

3.83/5  rDev +0.8%

Served from 12oz stubby bottle into my Duvel chalice.

Appearance: Darkish red in color, a pretty nice head to this one with minimal lacing.

Smell: A menage of fruit, a little yeast & chocolate. The fruit emits strongly without any noise in the nose.

Taste: Again, the fruit hops are there, a little toffee/caramelization, bready, yet reserved. Taste a little how it smells.

Mouthfeel: Medium carbonations, pretty smooth and a nice amount of thickness on the backbone. Wets out to a thin wisp on the tongue but keeps it's boldness on the way down.

Drinkability: This is a pretty enjoyable Dubbel, and at 6.50, you won't go wrong with these in 6 pack form. Def. a beer I would come back to.

4.68/5  rDev +23.2%

I had this on tap last night and didn't take notes:

It poured a reddish brown with a thin head.

The smell was very inviting: malty and fruity with the obvious Belgian yeast profile.

Taste: I loved this beer, probably one of my favorite doubles ever, had a lot of the fruity malty flavors that you expect from a good strong dark ale - i.e. the overall flavor was more balanced between malt sweetness, esthers, and hop bitterness than other dubbels that I've been fond of (e.g., Westmalle, Ommegang, Meredsous 8).

Mouthfeel: the most difficult aspect for me to recall, but I don't remember any unpleasant characterisitics.

Drinkability: Went down great with my burger. I couldn't stop sipping this one after every bite.

Overall, if I could find this bottled for less than the standard going rate of Belgian imports I'd buy it regularly. One of my favorites, especially for the style.

3.5/5  rDev -7.9%

Well this is my second Grimbergen I've tried. I enjoyed the Blonde, so I assumed this one would be good.
This beer lacks flavor and has a watered down taste to me.

It pours the color of Aunt Jemima's maple syrup. Not much head.

Smell is lovely I gotta say, like a dark dank pub beer. sweet floral and yeasty tones.

Tastes acidic or metallic, a little of both maybe.

In all fairness I had Ommegang abbey ale a couple of times and it ruined me for the style, nothing has yet to compare. Try it if yo haven't. If you know of a better one please let me know!

I've also tried 3 of the 7 Trappist beers and they have helped ruin me to all other main stream Belgium beers.

3.35/5  rDev -11.8%

liked it on tap, quite drinkable and wanted to share it with a friend so got a six pack.

pours dark like a cola with small head and lace. smell is quick fruity and nice malt sweetness. beligan sugar release come complex qualities. taste is first rust. then it opens up a bit to some sugars but not as interesting as the odor. not hoppy but metalic nature takes from the malty fruity. not too creamy. some nice texture but nothing to substancial. had it on tap... and i don't usually seems to think so but much much better.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured this one from the bottle into a chimay goblet.

A dark amberish color, with a nice creamy head. The smell is nice, but not too strong. Hints of fruit, smells a little sweet.

The taste is a bit metallic. Muted as well, just not as strong as I expected... too watery.

I wonder if I just got a bad bottle or something... but this just isn't a good beer on the initial pour.

3.38/5  rDev -11.1%

I had this Beer from a bottle poured into an oversized wine glass. Purchased from Plaza (the best place to purchase great beers in Tucson)

A: A fine burgundy in the light of my studio, although I believe in better lighting a dark amber, which illuminates in the light. A nice white head with a persistent lace which lasts throughout the drink.
S: Esters and Alcohol on first sniff, maybe its just my imagination but I get the slight image of berries, wine and wood when I sniff this beer, although the alcohol and fruity esters clearly pervades.
T: awww the spiced and yeasty taste of a belgian brew. The sugary taste first hits the tip of your tongue, and the spice really taps into the peripherals.
M: Medium bodied, the spice dances on the palate for a moment than is gone.
D: Finishes with an aftertaste of spiced malts. Behind the spiced aftertaste is a rather pedestrian coating of subpar drink. Others have noted that there is far too much carbonation, but I believe once this beer (at least from bottle) runs flat, there is a noticeable decline in the overall drink. The taste is good, but the aftertaste is boring, average, and tiresome.

There be Piraats after that beer

A: Pours to a dark amber (yet very clear) the head quickly fades to a lace. CO2 can be seen making its way from the bottom on out of the beer.

S: Lots of floral and fruit aroma

T: Flavor is somewhat spicey which might be carried over from the nose. Lots of caramel flavors and what I might describe as raisin or a slight dark or burnt toffee. Although the beer is quite dry the flavor lingers a decent while after swallowed.

M: Very carbonated and dry which makes it seem a little thin. I get a little tingle on my tongue from the carbonation. I have had this on draft and its a little less carbonated which I think serves the beer better.

D: I could definitely sit down and have a couple of these. I wish the carbonation was pulled back just a tad. All in all, a pretty good dubble out of the bottle but if you can get it on tap its much better.

3.53/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Very little head when poured, and light brown in color. Second bottle was poured more vigorously and the head that developed was lost quickly. Smelled faintly sweet, with no one scent striking me right away. After a couple sips some fruits were picked up like figs and courants. Seemed a little too carbonated and would have been more drinkable if it went down smoother. Very decent but does not stand out like other Belgian dubbels that I have tried.

Grimbergen Dubbel from Brouwerij Alken-Maes