Grimbergen Tripel - Brouwerij Alken-Maes

Grimbergen TripelGrimbergen Tripel

Brouwerij Alken-Maes visit their website

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: stcules on 06-13-2002)

4.83/5  rDev +27.1%

A weak white head was the only reason it didn’t rate a 5 on presentation. But what head there was really had endurance, and let nice rings. Another great bottle conditioned brew, with little poor dead yeasties on the bottom.

Musty fruits and sugar cane in the aroma, which came across superbly in the tastes. A real fruit basket in there – plum, apricot, raisons, and a couple cherries. Highly carbonated, a dry finisher.

No trace what-so-ever of the 9%, this was an excellent representative of the Tripel. Man, would luv to have more!

And this was a very fresh brew, thanks to my great son, “studying” overseas in Amsterdam. I was sent this for the unique chance to enjoy direct from the brewer.

4.75/5  rDev +25%

4.75/5  rDev +25%

4.65/5  rDev +22.4%

Okay, to start off, I am only rating this beer within the realm of the particular style: Tripel

If you like Tripels, you will like this one, full of flavour from the first sip of lacy head goodness to the last drop full of yeasty greatness. I have to say though that the mood or setting you are in will play a large roll in the rating, when I had this beer I was in a great mood sitting in a restaurant in Steenbergen, Holland. I had just had a delicious meal of beef medallions and white aspargus soup. This beer paired great with that meal by the way.
Unfortunately I didnt pour the beer, it was poured for me into the Grimbergen Tripel goblet glass. The head was nice and fluffy, a bit caramel off white color,. which stayed with the beer the entire time I enjoyed it. The smell was awesome, as I let the beer breathe for a few minutes whilst I just looked at it :) I dont like to use rate the smell with using particular fruit names, but this beer did have a nice mellow fruit smell to it, maybe a bit "citrusy" smell to it, but not in the taste. Which was great. Its very easy to drink and the aftertaste is mellow and smooth. Some tripels will hold too much of that alcohol taste even after you drink it, but this one was quite pleasent to drink. I liked it so much that I had 2 more after dinner sitting on the terrace watching all the cyclists ride by. Definately a great Tripel, and one that I would love to find more of when I return to Holland next year!

4.6/5  rDev +21.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Orange/golden brown, somewhat hazy brown color. Huge head, doesn't stay too long, though. Yeasty aroma. Somewhat sweet palate. Spicy flavour with faint notes of peat or is it wood? The alcohol lurks in the background but never gets too dominant. Dee-licious!! I could drink this again!

4.58/5  rDev +20.5%

Appearance: Crystal clear. Super white head. Wonderful lacing. Excellent

Smell: near perfect to style aromas. no hops, all malt and candi sugar.

Taste: Light, refreshing. lemony with slight candi sugar.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light bodied. Very effervescent. perfect mouthfeel

Overall: one of the best tripel's I've had. Will look for it again.

4.45/5  rDev +17.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Picked this one up in Brugge, Belgium. Poured from a 330ml bottle into a New Belgium Brewing Company Goblet, I also poured a Reinaert Tripel next to this one for comparison. I enjoyed the Grimbergen tripel more than the Reinaert.

Large head, lots of lacing, a yellow/amber light colored beer, just a shade lighter than the Reinaert that I poured. Smells fruity, and tastes much the same. It's a lot sweeter than it is bitter. Very smooth, I don't notice the abv of 9%. Very drinkable and worth a try. I enjoyed more than the Reinaert Tripel.

4.43/5  rDev +16.6%

Grimbergen Tripel ale pours a medium bodied clear but slightly dark amber color, the head a light beige, which dissipates rather quickly leaving a sheet of lace upon the chalice. Upon the pour, a brandy like aroma is noticed quickly, the aroma is spectacular I must admit. Hints of fruit and malt are also noticed, the start is sweet, the middle a mixture of citrus tartness and the malt sweetness, that finishes, wine dry and some what astringent. I noticed little hop presence, although I know its there the complex aroma of malts, fruity esters, seem to hide the hops. Carbonation is moderate to high and crisp, and the dry finish adds much to the palate of this beer. At 9.0 percent ABV, this beer is sneakily potent, as there is no alcohol related bitterness, just a nice warm feeling in the 'tummy'

4.35/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

This beer is what made me want to review beers on this site. I've had this on tap and out of the bottle. Both were pleasant experiences without a doubt.

Upon opening the bottle, I did not notice anything spectacularly different. It had a nice copperish color and was rather lacking in body in comparison to some other tripels I have had. There was no distinct aroma that set it apart but upon letting it hit my tongue, I was definitely pleased. This beer definitely agreed with me and I came back for 2 more. I recommend this brew to anybody. It is definitely a hard find.

4.33/5  rDev +13.9%

Yawn...another delicious Belgian tripel :) The usual suspects are present in the all the beer's characteristics color, aroma, flavor, all dead on for the style. It's fruity, rich, strong and satisfying.

4.33/5  rDev +13.9%

A - Pours a hazy golden color that produces a white fluffy head that retained well and laced the glass nicely

S - Malts, some nutty scents, apples and pears

T - Tastes very similar to the scents, but the toasted malts come out stronger and the hops really shine

M - Thick bodied creamy taste, medium carbonation

D - Another good example of a triple, another great beer that can be enjoyed again and again

4.24/5  rDev +11.6%

4.22/5  rDev +11.1%

Presentation: Had it at A La Mort Subite in Brussels.

Appearance: a bronzed golden yellow color. A large white head rests on top. The color is darker than other tripels.

Smell: lighty yeasty with a phenolic spiciness, and a strong malt backbone. Its very pleasant.

Taste: thick full bodied. Malty sweetness with a touch of phenols is quite strong, but finishes really dry, but a thick malt body just lingers on and on.

Notes: not quite as light and effervescent, but I enjoyed this one a lot. Must be a different interpretation of a tripel.

Grimbergen Tripel from Brouwerij Alken-Maes