Grimbergen Blonde - Brouwerij Alken-Maes

good

Brouwerij Alken-Maes visit their website

Belgian Pale Ale |  6.70% ABV

Beer added by: Romabrew on 01-06-2003

CANQuest (TM) beer/bier/biere/birra/cerveza/cerveja # 400 from CANs/DOSEN/BOITES/LATTINE/LATAS/BLIKKEN and I CANnot be more proud!

This started out as a stupid lark in response to people who were traveling hither and yon for the latest sought-out release of an RIS and morphed into a campaign to transition craft beer from bottles into CANs and make them more portable and (perceptually) greener at the same time. What once were habits now are vices in a big way. I rarely drink a beer from anything other than a CAN, a tap, or a cask now and while many pooh-pooh my self-imposed exile from BottleLand, I seldom look back in regret. Instead, I have become the touchstone for CANned beers, along with a loyal group of traders, contributors and like-minded individuals.

Tonight's beer comes to me/us from einweizenbitte, a clever traveler who refers to me by Woody Allen's given name, Herr Konigsburg and my uncle, Dr. Kirsch as Uncle Cherry. Here's to you, einweizenbitte, and may yours be a very happy Thanksgiving!

From the CAN: "Ardet nec Consumitur."; "'Brule mais ne se consume pas', telle est la devise de l'abbaye de Grimbergen. Fondee en 1128 dans un petit village au nord du Bruxelles elle fut a maintes reprises incendiee mais a chaque fois rebatie, tel un phenix renaissant de ses cendres. Au fil de son histoire, labbaye de Grimbergena su conserver la recette d'une biere authentique et de charactere. Cette biere blonde au gout unique et a la mousse abondante se deguste idealment entre 8 C et 12 C."/"'Burned but not destroyed,' that is the motto of the Grimberger Abbey. Established in 1128 in a small village north of Brussels, the abbey was built by hand many times and each time it has been rebuilt, it has been like a phoenix rising from its ashes. Throughout its history, Grimberger Abbey has known the recipe for an authentic beer with character. This blonde beer has a unique taste with a plentiful head. The ideal temperature to consume this beer is between 46.4 F and 53.6 F."

The Crack & Glug was nearly religious in terms of its experience, resulting in well over two fingers of thick, foamy, bone-white head with excellent retention. I began to regret not having donned the robes of Bro. Woody of the Order of Disorder as the singing of angels could be heard around me. The head slowly fell like a penitent to its knees, leaving behind a beautiful, sticky lacing that begged to be licked from the sides of the glass (as if I were worthy). The nose had a bready, semi-sweet, musty yeast-driven quality that I had to drag myself away from. After all, beer is meant to be drunk, not inhaled. Mouthfeel was medium with an intense yeast mustiness up front, like putting your tongue on the Guttenberg Bible, followed by a sweet cotton candy-like flavor before giving itself over to a slight grassiness. The finish was semi-dry, not bone-dry, but on its approach with a definite yeast-driven flavor. it was about as good a beer as I have ever had from a CAN. Do they allow coolers in church? Maybe at the Church Brew Works ... I am not taking this to the beach or the mountains, however. This is a beer in a CAN to be savored. Seek it out and remember who turned you onto it. Let us be thankful ... (3,223 characters)

Grimbergen Blond is my ultimate favorite Belgian beer. Continuously on-tap at the Cock n Bull in Sarasota FL. I would want to come in to the pub, sit down, and order my Grimbergen Blond on-tap. But I could not always do that is I wanted to get anywhere on my list of beers to try. Although, when I took a break from something new - I would have this delicious beer. I suggested to anyone that arrived and did not know what they wanted.

Light to Medium in Color this beer is easy easy to drink - not to over the top with flavor. (528 characters)

4.84/5  rDev +31.2%

One of my favorite beers.

A: Nice creamy head.

S: Overwhelming citrus and floral.

T: Love the complex flavors.

M: Typical for good pale ale.

O: Can see why some would like this and some not. Balance of spice, floral and citrus makes for varied opinions. Definitely not a session beer. (289 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +30.6%

Grimbergen Blonde ale has a thick, fluffy, off-white head and a clear, sparkling, bubbly, golden appearance. The aroma is very much of light, sweet bread, citrus fruit, and yeast sting. Taste is similar to a mimosa: champagne and orange juice, but with the added yeast spiciness. Mouthfeel is light to medium, and Grimbergen Blonde finishes dry, delicate, and ultra-refreshing. What a wonderful breakfast beer. I rate it outstanding!

RJT (439 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +22.5%

The Grimbergen beers are one of my personal favourites. Not the least because it originates from my former hometown Grimbergen. Today Grimbergen has a large Baroque basilica attached to the abbey. It was founded by Saint-Norbertus himself. In the middle ages, the lords of Grimbergen where very powerfull. The original plans showed a huge complex, but It was never completely built. The buildings where sold during the French revolution by the French occupier and the complex was partially demolished. After the French redrew, it was reacquired by the monastic order. As they had vowed when they entered the order, they where to foresee in their own needs. On of them was brewing beer as it was safer in those days to drink beer then water.

The Beer has a clear copper colour. When poured, a lot of effort goes in creating a reasonable head. Which disappears quite rapidly. It has an odour that reminds me of dried ham combined with spices, exotic fruit and citrus. It tastes very light but when it touches the tongue rich aroma’s are released: malt, hop’s, fruit,…
This is a stronger beer, but I thing it is easier to drink than some lighter beers.

Ut Vivat, Crescat, Floreat! (1,188 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +22%

poured into a tulip glass an opaque golden color with a three finger white head with a easy pour. frothy head settles to a half inch cap and holds to the finish with a fine webbing of lace. nice fruity nose. taste is sweet, malty, and fruity nicely balanced. mouthfeel is light to medium and very smooth, carbonation is very good. very enjoyable i'll be looking for more. (371 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +21.1%

A definite hard-to-find in my area, out of the many liquor stores in my location, only one place had a sixer of this that ran me about $11 bucks... from a 11.2 oz decorated bottle, pours a nice, golden straw color with a minimal head... Smell is very fruity with almost a wheaty essence... some carbonation present... wonderful taste exploding with creaminess... Fruit flavors dominate the palate with a vanilla aftertaste full of spices... Mouthfeel and drinkability are likewise great, and even at 6.7% the alcohol is hard to detect behind a flavorful combination that is amazing... An awesome example of the style which is definitely worth a try... A crisp and refreshing brew which deserves recognition... too bad not more widely available... (746 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +21.1%

Beautiful golden, yellow color with some nice lacing. Fruity, spicy smell. Taste is a nice combination of apple, spice and maybe a little banana thrown in. Mouthfeel--reminds me of a cider for some reason, surprisingly there's a fair amount of carbonation but it works. Overall it's about what I'd expect from a Belgian beer in terms of flavor and the crispness makes this a very drinkable beer. (395 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +19.8%

Very nice appearance - clear golden color, nice columns of bubbles, big white head. Smell is yeasty with a little grass, clove, and citrus - excellent aroma. This is a delicious beer. Very dry finish and very refreshing. I'm really impressed, especially given the very reasonable price. I'll be buying this all summer. (318 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +19.8%

As far as Belgian abbey style ales of the blond variety go, this is just wonderful stuff. The beer is medium bodied, and chock full of chewy spices, malts, banana/citrus flavors, perhaps a bit of coriander, and lots of candied sugars in the fermentation process. I just love this beer and it is just a great representation of the style. If you are into the style, you must stop in here for a taste. The head, retention, smell, and mouthfeel are all just great. This one won't disappoint. L'Chaim. (496 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +18.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Aww, one of the last samples brought by my son, while in Amsterdam, “studying”.

But I’m really sold on Grimbergen – so far all quality brews and a decent import price. Gives the other Belgium’s a run for their money.

A crystal clear straw yellow, tons of tiny lil’ carb bubbles in here, ROCKY pillow top o’ white.

Enticing aroma of the Belgium yeast and sugar cane, followed by a sweet malty start, finishing dry and acetic. What a nice Belgium “session” beer – even at 6.7% (493 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +18.7%

A - An enormous head sits atop a golden brew. The head itself is ludicrously slow to subside. Five miutes, and three sips, after pouring it is still sizeable. Once I drank enough to see, it was evident that there was a ton of lacing.

S - Sweet banana, hay and cloves with a good about a pale malty backing and honey. A hint of alcohol at higher temps.

T - An initial fruity flavor with a hefty bitterness upfront. The flavor shifts toward a malty presence with a touch of honey. The beer finishes with a grassy bitterness accompanied by some banana and malt.

M - High carbonation, thin, very refreshing.

D - Excellent. I will definitely buy again. I was awed by Grimbergen Double over a year ago. I saw the blonde and had to buy it. I love it too. I will no seek out more from Brouwerij Alken-Maes. (803 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +17.9%

My wife and I just moved into a new house, and tonight we finished painting the bathroom. Time to celebrate with a .750ml Grimbergen Blonde that my sister brought back to us from Belgium.

Poured into a belgian snifter, the Grimbergen is a very pretty amber/gold color. High carbonation yields a frothy head of white foam that settles over time and leaves a sticky lace in its wake. The nose is buttery citrus. Some faint lemon and banana. Slightly spicy, although that may mostly be from the citrus scents. Really nice, but subtle and laid back. The taste is similar to the aroma. Buttery citrus is again noticeable, as is the distinct banana flavor too. Fruity, but with a hint of caramel to smooth things out. Mouthfeel is crisp and bubbly, easing into a smooth creaminess over time as the beer warms to room temp.

A fine Belgian blonde. Really easy going, and at 6.7% ABV, quite sessionable as well. I didn't get to drink this for several months after my sister brought it back from Belgium with her last October, but it held up remarkably well. Still strongly carbonated and very fresh. God bless the Belgians. (1,118 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +17.9%

Good appearance. Looks crisp with a much smaller head than I am used to on a Belgian beer.

Nice fruity smell. A little lighter than most Belgians.

The taste is the same as the smell. Fruity on the front of the tongue, but lighter than I am used to with Belgians.

Also, the mouthfeel is thinner than a usual Belgian.

With this being lighter, I would actaully be able to drink more of these than I would most Belgians.

I know the importers characterize this as a "starter Belgian." I think they are right on and this would be a great beer to have someone try who is attempting to get into better beers. (606 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +17.1%

Poured into a tulip glass producing a one finger head that produced great lacing throughout the duration of the drink. A fruity aroma of apples, cirtus and alcohol. Taste is delightful! Mouthfeel is full of carbonation. Taste is sweet and crisp much like the smell. This is my first time trying this wonderful brew and I will surely get it again. (346 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +17.1%

I had the Grimbergen Blonde on tap in Montbelliard, France.
It was great. I've heard that others have been disappointed with it in bottles.
It had nice golden color with a good sized head. It smelled and tasted like any good Belgium should. A slight hop flavor. It was very smooth drinking. I would've had many more but after a Beamish Stout, I was running low on Euros.

I was at an "Irish" pub, in France, with an Italian, a Brit (who only drank Vodka), a Frenchie, and two other Americans. They spelled the pub's name "O'Brian's" not "O'Brien's." And it had Guiness logos everywhere, but no Guiness. A truely strange expericence, but a good beer. (654 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +17.1%

Straight from belgium, was hiding in the darkness for about 9 months to a year.

Pours out a crispy clear blonde color, tons of carbonation. I was blown away by how much foam was on the head of this beer.

Smells great, a tinge of pepper and a lot of banana, common in this type of beer. Wheat on the tip but full and aromatic. Definately approve.

Taste doesn't let down either, I really enjoy this beer. Full and hardy, nuts, dates... feels smooth and creamy, totally satisfied with this beer. (495 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +16.5%

Poured into a chalice (flared top)

A - this blonde beauty poured a golden color similar to that of a pilsner with a bountiful 1.75" fluffy white head. Lovely lacing throughout.

S - sweet and fruity with a hint of yeastiness and a waft of hops. An undefined fruitiness.

T - Wonderful, I detect tartness of apricots, golden raisins, followed by sweet maltiness, and ending with a bitter overtone that balances the taste throughout. Alcohol of 6.7 is very well hidden.

M - Light carbonation, light bodied beer. Washed over the palate quite well, yet this is more of a sipping beer because of its fine taste.

D - Very drinkable. This is more of a sipper. One wouldn't want to spoil the greatness by chugging this but one could certainly have a few in a row.

Overall - This is the second Grimbergen product I've had and I'm very pleased with both. I like the Dubbel slightly more because I'm partial to darker beers but this Blonde abbey style ale is definitely a winner. Great as a nightcap or an after-dinner conversation companion. I bought a 6-pack of this on sale for about $8 (usually it's around 11.50 per 6 pack) so this was a steal! Will buy again. (1,158 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +16%

Pours a big fluffy head in the tulip glass, which recalls Duvel. Color is amber-hued golden; looks like autumn. Lots of sticky lace webs cover the insides of the glass. Head retains well but thins quicker than, say, Duvel.

Aroma of pilsner malts is strong, and it's backed up by light traces of spices and yeast. A delicate aroma, similar to Duvel. (I'm not sure if "Gatinais" barley qualifies as a pilsner malt, but it sure smells like it.)

The flavor, while having some depth, isn't intense or wild. It's certainly got that Belgian character, most likely due in large part to whatever yeast strain was used. The spiciness is delicate, light, flowery and sweet, and the hops is shown most in the finish, balancing everything unobtrusively.

Mouthfeel is slick and buttery; buoyant, with a pleasing lightness.

The flavor doesn't necessarily blow me away, but the overall experience of this beer just about does. The drinkability is insane. Flavorful but not heavy, with a sensible ABV, it goes down in a completely agreeable way. People who got turned onto Belgians via Duvel and who still love Duvel are advised to fall in love with this one. But with all the comparisons to Duvel, don't get me wrong, Grimbergen Blonde is its own beer, less crisp and dry than Duvel, and probably sweeter and slightly funkier. Great stuff. (1,336 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +15.7%

This is an exceptional brew. color was orange-honey with a nice white head. carbonation seemed a bit tame.

fruity aroma with yeasty-bready smell. some apple-pair and orange with soft floral notes. really nice nose.

fruity taste up front with a yeasty-malty finish. hops are mild, nice delicate and enjoyable flavor. good balance.

smooth soft mouthfeel - didn't miss the carbonation

easy to drink, great beer. i think i actually enjoyed this more than their dubbel, although that might just be a stylistic preference - the dubbel is very good as well. (554 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: fluffy white head, brilliant gold, produces good lacing. Flavor: finishes slightly sweet, a touch more hops than some Belgian blonds, spicy, phenols, light carmelization, Mouthfeel: medium full body and medium high carbonation. (240 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +15.2%

11.2oz brown bottle from Tiger Town in Gardiner. Pours a beautiful golden yellow translucent body with a good half inch of off-white head. Smells really fruity and pleasant, like a fresh peach or apricot. Tastes very fruity also, with apricot and apple playing huge roles with some malt notes toward the finish. Just the slightest hint of alcohol in the flavor and mouthfeel. Fairly light on the mouthfeel, but makes this surprisingly drinkable for the abv. Really very delicious, one of the best examples of the style I've had. Really hitting the spot tonight. (561 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +15.2%

This is a very tasty, pleasant Belgian pale ale.

Bright clear gold, it has a big white head that steadily shrinks to a thin, wispy top and leaves some nice lace.

The aroma is raisiny with grape, grain, banana, white wine, a bit like a cross between a witbier and a good malt liquor or strong pale lager.

The taste is nice and similar. It has plenty of grain with bubblegum, raisin, grape juice, wine, hay, and breadcrust, again the same witbier-malt-liquor mix. It's similar to Leffe blonde but a bit drier. (510 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +14.9%

Light head of golden-brown, with malty sweet nose of fruit (strawberries?) and vanilla extract with a little spice. Light to medium bodied and a bit sweet with a lemony citrus flavor and hint of clove. Really enjoyable. I could have had a 2nd easily. (250 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +14.6%

Pours dark golden amber with a rich foamy head, two fingers, good retention. Lacing creates rims in my glass as I drink, very nice. Nose consists of malts, yeasts, citrus, and a good amount of spice (coriander at least). Taste is very good, what a summer Belgian ale should taste like with a good balance of malts and wheats along with not too sour yeasts, citrus, and good spice flavor (usually the spice isnt spicy enough). Smooth, crisp, and refreshing. A solid beer. (470 characters)

Grimbergen Blonde from Brouwerij Alken-Maes