Grimbergen Blonde - Brouwerij Alken-Maes

Grimbergen BlondeGrimbergen Blonde

good

Brouwerij Alken-Maes visit their website

Belgian Pale Ale |  6.70% ABV

(Beer added by: Romabrew on 01-06-2003)

LvanB, Feb 28, 2012
1.38/5  rDev -62.7%

I’ve been walking around Grenoble playing the local pastime (avoiding dog crap on the side walk) for hours. I’m thirsty and if one more angry, unemployed young man shouts at me, or another homeless guy dressed in fatigues tries to lead me down some back alley I’m going to go D-day on this place. I finally find an open bar that I can get into but the taps are just terrible. A large poster proudly proclaims that they serve bud light. Desperado posters line the other walls. I notice after some searching that they have Grimbergen on one of their taps. That will do, I think to myself. I had a can of that the other day and it was decent.

I order two 83 oz giraffes (because I’m so stressed from the anti-Americanism and dog crap). I sit down and set about consuming the brew but it's different. I taste apples, nasty, rotten fermented apples. That is all. That is all that is going on in this beer. It is terrible. My friends and I finish our nasty brew and leave. All of us come down with a horrible case of that stuff that’s all over the sidewalks. I won’t be revisiting this one anytime soon.

DaPeculierDane, Jan 08, 2006
1.5/5  rDev -59.5%

gnikola, Jan 17, 2013

Anatole, Sep 26, 2013

davemathews68, May 16, 2013
2.38/5  rDev -35.7%

Served in a .33L goblet. Kind of "off" tasting light honey brown ale. Tastes like it's turned or spoiled. Light foam film that disappears and leaves no head. Mild fruity candy malt taste but tastes a little off. Wasn't able to finish the goblet and wouldn't want to try it again. Maybe just had a bad pour.

cpanossian, Sep 08, 2010
2.4/5  rDev -35.1%

Pours with a yellow golden color and a large, frothy head that lasts well. Aroma smells clean, but resembles more of a Pale Lager, not a Belgian blond. Flavor is very sweet, fruity, malt liquor-like. Watery texture. It's not like it's Marten low carb, but this beer basically sucks.

Crosling, Mar 17, 2009
2.45/5  rDev -33.8%

Pours with a white foamy head, with a lot of lacing. Good golden color, definitely the best part of the beer. The smell is hard to pin down for my novice beer nose, a bit on the sour side in any event. The sweet fruity flavor comes through at first which isn't bad but there was distinct metallic aftertaste though. That really stood out and made it tough to enjoy this beer. Not a lot of hops bite, the malt is the key to this flavor. The body is nice, not too thick but good weight to it. Can't shake that aftertaste though.

This beer pours great and looks great, but the rest of the beer isn't up to the same standards.

SchlaflyFan, Oct 11, 2008
2.45/5  rDev -33.8%

Bottle served into a Guinness pint glass in Ibiza, Spain. Reviewed from notes taken April 2011. 6.7% ABV confirmed. Expectations were fairly high.

A: Pours a clear light gold colour. Head is four fingers with fair thickness but no cream.

Sm: Yeast and hops obscure the malted barley body. A light aroma. Indistinct.

T: Yeast and floral hops, with a malty backbone that lacks richness or refinement. Simpler than expected. No real esters; maybe some nuts. Not as complex as an abbey beer ought to be. Poorly built for the style. Largely imbalanced.

Mf: Too light, too smooth. Doesn't complement the flavours.

Dr: Doesn't hide its ABV well. A shite abbey beer, all things considered. To be avoided. I wonder how long this sat on the shelf.

**I had this on-draught in Belgium weeks later and enjoyed it far more. Maybe the bottled version doesn't measure up.

D+

kojevergas, Nov 06, 2012
2.48/5  rDev -33%

Poured this beer from the bottle to a 50 degree tumbler. The beer was sour smelling with a big pretty head and actually had great lacing. A slightly smoky flavour made the beer taste interesting at first but then started tasting a little sour to me and after drinking a Grimbergen sour as heck double ale before this one might have been the problem, but I just don't think I like these beers. Will not buy again.

Minkybut, Apr 07, 2007

chrispoint, Feb 20, 2012

Metal4Breakfast, Feb 28, 2012

kfh227, Jul 20, 2014
2.56/5  rDev -30.8%

macesq, Aug 15, 2014
2.68/5  rDev -27.6%

11.2 oz bottle, no freshness date.
Dark golden, two finger head, sticky lace.
Aroma is fresh and slightly fruity. Ripe banana, honey, sugar, some biscuty malt.
Flavor is sweet, cooked banana with some honey and a dusting of hops.
Kind of ho-hum. It’s a pricey beer, and i expected more.

Padron4KM, Aug 15, 2006
2.68/5  rDev -27.6%

A clear, orange beer with a head that collapses after several minutes.

Smell is a fruity Belgian smell with anise, coriander and clove notes. This spiciness is up to a level where the aromatic properties of the spices start to become over the top and even a bit artificial.

Taste is a continue of the smell, a Belgian fruitiness with anise, clove, caraway and coriander notes. Also some fusel alcohols and a minor oxidation. The beer is dominated by this spiciness and although there is some malt presence, this is pushed away by the spices. To me this beer reminds me of the terrible Leffe blond and to me this tastes like an exact copy of it.

Absumaster, Aug 25, 2007
2.7/5  rDev -27%

Poured a nice golden color into my stem glass with a short lived, but decent head. A bit of lace lasted until the end.

Smell was of cider vinegar. Taste was of malt vinegar and a touch of bitter hops. But even so, this ale was somewhat drinkable. The label on this 12 oz bottle had numerous code numbers but none that appeared to be a freshness date. It was purchased cold at a very reputable local distributor that specializes in all sorts of wonderful craft beers and imports, so I doubt it was bad...but you never know.

Anyhow, at $18 a 12 oz six pack, I doubt if I'll give it another shot.

theBubba, Aug 03, 2011
2.75/5  rDev -25.7%

I picked this up on sale at the local
Biggs. It smells flowery and yeasty. It reminds me of a few homebrews I botched. It has that same off smell of alcohol and is medicinal in taste. It does have a fruity aftertaste and is refreshing. It looks nice in my free Fat Bastard wine glass I got from a buddy. skip this one.

pumarocks, Dec 18, 2008

fullmoonbeer, Aug 02, 2014

BYOFB, Feb 21, 2013

tripledbrew, Nov 06, 2012
2.78/5  rDev -24.9%

11.2 oz pry-top brown glass. No freshness date, but code on back label.

Appearance: Poured in a Duvel goblet. Clear and bright, golden yellow. Thin white head, small bubbles.

Nose: Lot's of banana and spice. A slight toasty-yeasty background.

Palate: A little watery on the body, with most of the flavor following what seems to be a quick hop note. A little bitterness out on the finish. Flavors are simple and focused on banana/yeast spice.

Notes: The palate is really loose and watery, making for a seemingly cheap mouthfeel. Could see this being better right from the bottle. Might retain more carbonation and therefore mouthfeel.

SFLpunk, Jan 29, 2009
2.79/5  rDev -24.6%

330 ml. bottle.. Pours a clear yellow colour, with a big head. It takes its time to fade and leaves some lace. Smell of apples, caramel and hay. Medium body, easy to drink. Taste of fruits, apples, apricots, candy and some spice. Sure you can have it any time, but it doesn't really offer anything to me. Just a correcto beer.

janubio, Aug 04, 2014
2.85/5  rDev -23%

Small brown 25cl bottle, best before Feb 2008, drank June 2007.

Poured into a Duvel glass, just because I can.

Dull or old gold in colour, the head left before the bottle was replaced on the table, leaving a very thin collar around the glass and a little central island which was being produced by the Duvel glass.

Odourless almost, a hint of yeast and hops, but only if I put my face into the beer.

The taste was fine, a slight tangy bite with some citrus fruits trying to get out.

The mouth drys quickly leaving a metalic, citrus, unbeer-like feel within.

I have drank this before in both bottle and draught (on-tap) forms and it has been average, this official tasting session has opened my eyes to its poor quality.

The initial taste was good, but the lack of smell and the aftertaste, plus the poor head retension pushes this beer towards the back of the pack when talking about Belgian Pale Ales.

BH.

BlackHaddock, Jun 07, 2007
2.88/5  rDev -22.2%

330ml bottle. Tulip glass. Brass color, crystal clear appearance. White froth creates a fairly good retention crown & leaves rings on sides. Citric, malty, yeasty & spiced aromas. Malty, sugary flavors & grape hues at first sip. Light to medium. Moderate to high carbonation. Sparkling & dried mouthfeel. Buttery notes, grapefruit hues & some biscuit in the middle. Sweet/slight bitter finish. Memories of Semi-dry Cava -champagne- on the aftertaste. ABV is well hidden.

GONZALOYANNA, Mar 09, 2014