Grimbergen Blonde - Brouwerij Alken-Maes

Grimbergen BlondeGrimbergen Blonde

good

Brouwerij Alken-Maes visit their website

Belgian Pale Ale |  6.70% ABV

(Beer added by: Romabrew on 01-06-2003)
View: Beers (26) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
AlexJ

Clear honey blonde with a puffy eggshell head that retains nicely in the appropriate Grimbergen goblet.

Aroma is light and summery, with sweet malt, yeast, musky pear and orchard fruit. There's just a slight notion of tart wheat and gentle minerality.

Flavor is a pilsneresque malts, honey, pear, melon, and earthy musk. It finishes with a nip of herbal hops and some peppery dryness. Not very complex, but assembled well and highly drinkable. Alcohol is a bit noticable at 6.7%.

Body is medium, slick, and slippery with a fluffy texture and smooth mouthfeel. Nice to see for 10 bucks and change at my local Lowes.

08-04-2006 21:28:04 | More by AlexJ
bort11

Missouri

These have started popping up at the local grocery stores for a pretty cheap price, less than $2 a single. Thought I would give it a try.
11.2 oz bottle poured into a Duvel tulip glass. Solid egg-white head, rather frothy, a little more than a 1/2 inch thick. Quality lacing lasts the entire beer. Color is a clear oranginsh gold. Mild bubbling. Smell is slightly sour like some wheats can be with some honey/malt sweetness added. Taste is mildly sweet with definate orange peel flavor. A little bit of spiciness in the back. Mouthfeel is juicey with a crisp carbonation. This was a good deal, I'll definately be stocking up on these while I can.

08-04-2006 02:57:15 | More by bort11
marcobrau

3.73/5  rDev +0.5%

This slightly hazy golden ale initially gushes from the bottle, but calms down pretty quickly and is generally well-behaved as I pour it into my glass. The carbonation dissipates and the beer almost goes flat. The aroma is very herbal and accented by lemon. This beer has some very pleasant citrus flavors and a sugary sweet character to it that is well-balanced by bitter hops. A tasty, drinkable Belgian ale.

07-25-2006 03:03:30 | More by marcobrau
DaveFL1976

4.03/5  rDev +8.6%

Poured into a Trappist Westvletren glass. Pours with a nice, full and chunky head that leaves heaps of lacing. Smells sweet, like candy. And fruity and fresh. The taste is sweet, too. And If I have any complaints, it's that it's a bit too sweet. The relatively low alcohol is well hidden, and this is one tasty and drinkable brew.

07-18-2006 15:43:36 | More by DaveFL1976
RenoZymurgist

Nevada

3.38/5  rDev -8.9%

Pours a clear amber with a frothy white head that subsides to a thin ring and leaves a bit of lace on the glass.
The aroma is sweet with pepper and a bit of citrus as well. I think i detect a bit of coriander as well.
The flavor begin with a sweet malty flavor that is only slightly toasty and which quickly seugues into a dry flavor that allows a touch of hop bitterness through. It finishes with a lingering spicyness that is much like the aroma with a peppery spicyness and a sweet citrus.
The mouthfeel is very dry in the finish and true to belgian style it has a sweet flavor that quickly segues into a dry finish with a crisp carbonic bite that lends digestability.
Very drinkable as it has a relatively low alcohol content and with such a clean finish it makes a good beer to begin a session.

06-24-2006 04:11:01 | More by RenoZymurgist
jwc215

3.58/5  rDev -3.5%

Poured into a tulip glass.
Poured golden/amber with a one-inch head that was fairly well retained before becoming a nice lacing.
The sweet was of sweet citrus with a bready, yeast background.
The taste was of sweet citrusy fruits, malt, some yeast, and a touch of cloves that all intermingled. It had certain spicy qualities, and an aftertaste that was reminiscent of a whit.
The mouthfeel was sweet (almost too much so) and fairly creamy. The mingled flavors left an odd, though short-lived, aftertaste.
Last night, I had three and by the third, I was becoming bored of it. So, I had one today to review it. Overall, it's pretty good, but - IMO - there are better Belgian ales out there, for about the same price, and just as easily - or even moreso - accessible - that are just as good - if not better. Nothing special enough to seek out more than once in a while, but nothing to turn down, either.

06-17-2006 16:59:32 | More by jwc215
supercolter

4.1/5  rDev +10.5%

Ok so maybe I just got a good bottle but the head on this dark golden treat was over 2 finger and stayed with the whole glass...impressive
Decent smell very earthy right away but seems to open up a bit more citrusy if you dig your nose in
Tasts is pretty decent as well, unusually earthy though, not bad but kinda dry for this style...
Mouthfeel was a bit too fizzy I thought but felt good on the tounge
Drinkability- pretty light only hindered by the fizz

06-17-2006 04:37:28 | More by supercolter
TurdFurgison

4.05/5  rDev +9.2%

Poured from an 11.2oz fat little bottle into a Duvel glass. The beer was clear colden color with no floaties inside. The head was thin but sticky.

I think this smelled much better than I expected, kind of bready and a little malty. The taste was mostly sweet malts and bready yeast, not unlike St Bernardus Tripel. A little less rich than the St Bernardus though.

This is a real bargain at $1.99 per bottle in Columbus.

06-04-2006 00:04:15 | More by TurdFurgison
GCBrewingCo

3.63/5  rDev -2.2%

The beer poured into the glass clear light amber golden with a white, small, yet frothy head which lasted well to lace the glass.

The aroma was fruity with a nice Belgian yeast spicy character and a light sweetness. The aroma contained a bit of earthiness.

The flavor was light with a light spice feature coupled with a sweetness that was not cloying but lingering nonetheless. The bittering was enough to keep the beer from becoming cloying but never really played a key part other than a bit of earthiness.

The finish was dry with a lingering spice into the aftertaste. The body was medium with a moderate carbonation. Nothing too exciting here, but a fairly easy drinking beer.

12 ounce bottle.

05-25-2006 22:20:30 | More by GCBrewingCo
cjgator3

4.33/5  rDev +16.7%

Poured into a tulip glass producing a one finger head that produced great lacing throughout the duration of the drink. A fruity aroma of apples, cirtus and alcohol. Taste is delightful! Mouthfeel is full of carbonation. Taste is sweet and crisp much like the smell. This is my first time trying this wonderful brew and I will surely get it again.

05-18-2006 02:11:39 | More by cjgator3
jamesdergen

3.53/5  rDev -4.9%

A: Pours a golden straw with a foamy off white head that dissipates, but still sticks around for most of the brew.

S: Sweet, wheaty aroma and some grainy malts.

T: More like a wheat beer than a Belgian golden. Big, wheaty flavors with some vanilla, clove and candy banana flavors, spicy hops linger throughout. Really nice bready wheat aftertaste.

M/D: Carbonation is a bit high, but still light to medium bodied and easy to drink.

Overall, this is a nice brew, but not one I will go out of my way to pick up again. Since it tastes more like a wheat beer, I would prefer a Hoegaarden or a Weihenstephaner Hefe to this.

05-17-2006 01:20:05 | More by jamesdergen
goochpunch

3.58/5  rDev -3.5%

Pours a clear golden color with a frothy, white head. Smells pretty much like apple juice with a slight yeasty background. Smells good but not very interesting. Taste is, at first, nutty and fruity malts with a slight alcohol edge. Slowly, the hops come through around the middle, with a swelling bitterness and spicy and grassy flavor character. Finishes slightly dry with a lingering malt flavor. Mouthfeel is medium-light with lively bubbles. Drinkable, but not interesting enough for me to want a whole lot more of it.

05-16-2006 22:52:01 | More by goochpunch
plaid75

3.28/5  rDev -11.6%

Pours a nice light copper hue. A good two finger, creamy head. Decent retention and lacing.

The smell was rather neutral. Hints of yeast, lemon and coriander spiciness.

The flavor was smooth and buttery. A nice spiciness is apparent and there is a slight hop finish. Although buttery, a very clean taste.

The mouthfeel was clean, relatively dry, with light carbonation.

Overall a nice drinkable blonde ale. I recommend this one.

04-20-2006 00:49:14 | More by plaid75
GClarkage

4.05/5  rDev +9.2%

04/19/06- Purchased from Whole Foods in Redwood City, CA.

Presentation- 11.2oz stubby bottle with no freshness info available. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

Appearance- Honey-amber in color. Full inch plus head which sticks around for quite a while. Marvelous patchy lacing on the inside of my tulip.

Smell- Lemon rind, white pepper and maybe some other fruits as well. Slight scent of hops.

Taste- Reminds me of a cross of three beers...a Belgian Pale Ale, a Wit and a Tripel. Has a nice fruity bite with a good dose of white pepper in the finish. Bitter hops come through right at the end. Short lived aftertaste.

Mouthfeel- Mid range carbonation level. Mild sugary coating.

Drinkability- Quite a quaffable brew. If it just had a bit of oumph behind it. Taste doesn't last as long as I would like. Still very good though.

04-19-2006 21:58:32 | More by GClarkage
whynot44

4.1/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Clear coppery gold color with a huge fluffy white head that persists reasonably well, leaving lots of nice lace on the way down.

The aroma is hard to pin down, very mild malt with some slightly spicy herbal overtone - hops, coriander, ?

The taste is also slightly sweet mild malt with an apple or pear note and that spicy herbal overtone that comes across minty, peppery, maybe a bit of cloves and corinder with a peppered apple aftertaste.

Very interesting. Smooth, medium bodied and easy to drink. Definitely worth a try.

04-08-2006 03:38:28 | More by whynot44
zeff80

4.33/5  rDev +16.7%

I had the Grimbergen Blonde on tap in Montbelliard, France.
It was great. I've heard that others have been disappointed with it in bottles.
It had nice golden color with a good sized head. It smelled and tasted like any good Belgium should. A slight hop flavor. It was very smooth drinking. I would've had many more but after a Beamish Stout, I was running low on Euros.

I was at an "Irish" pub, in France, with an Italian, a Brit (who only drank Vodka), a Frenchie, and two other Americans. They spelled the pub's name "O'Brian's" not "O'Brien's." And it had Guiness logos everywhere, but no Guiness. A truely strange expericence, but a good beer.

04-04-2006 19:15:49 | More by zeff80
Zorro

3.2/5  rDev -13.7%

Pours a clear amber colored ale that is a bit more on the red side. OK white head that unfortunately doesn't hang around.

Smell is on the sweet side with a slight tart edge something like iced tea with lemon in it. Slightly flowery in scent with a far stronger herbal hop aroma. Slight coriander aroma is a far stronger edge of black pepper.

Taste is not that sweet with a good flowery honey flavor to this, slightly mead like. Detectable trace of oxidation is present, not real strong but there is a trace of cardboard flavor here. Fair flavor of flowers and slight herbal bittering. Flavor is a bit light compared to the benchmark Duvel.

Mouthfeel is OK.

An OK beer but not remarkable in anyway. Think of this as a Duvel knock off that isn't nearly as good. But this isn't a bad beer just rather boring and unremarkable for the style.

03-23-2006 04:04:27 | More by Zorro
therica

Maryland

3.38/5  rDev -8.9%

The beer poured nicely, with a head that remained for a fair while-- not huge and thick but fairly nice. The aroma is a bit odd, and possibly explained by what I describe in the taste and aftertaste, as well.

The taste is a nice one, some honey and something that another user describes as menthol. My impression from that taste plus the aftertaste on my tongue was possibly anise, but menthol may be accurate as well. The after-taste is more like slight anise and honey, however. It might even be some odd herb such as rosemary that they've used (a pine sort of shrub).

It's a fairly drinkable beer but I don't know that I'd sit and drink it all night.

03-19-2006 00:26:49 | More by therica
acrawf6

Louisiana

3.58/5  rDev -3.5%

Pours out a quite deep golden and honey looking. White head foams up but is not thick and goes down rather quickly.

Smells a little interesting and good. Very sweet and a light menthol smell to it. smells like a dry sugar candy, like necco wafers or something.

Taste is ok. Very spiced. Lots of apple flavors to it. Not as sweet as i first suspected. A slight cardboard taste to it. Malty after a few seconds of it sitting on my tongue. The aftertaste is a little off. It is a little sour aftertaste that just doesnt settle well for me.

Mouthfeel is ok. Not as full as i hoped for, but i am wanting a tripel right now, so obviously this one will not cut it for me. Crisp carbonation that drops right after getting on my mouth.

Overall, this is ok. I am enjoying it, but i dont think i will have a craving for it in the future.

02-01-2006 02:09:38 | More by acrawf6
Hautacam

Connecticut

3.73/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

First had this on tap in Luz St.Saveur, France and thought that is was the absolute best ale I'd ever had. Was excited to find it here in the US in bottles. Kind of a let down...just not the same...good but not great.( my girlfriend still thinks Great)
Color is clear gold ....nice foamy head...lasts pretty well in a Grimbergen chalice.
Smell is clove, malt, a hint of fruit.
Tastes pretty good...some slight sweetness, good balance of citrus and spice...yeasty... alcohol not really detectable.
Mouthfeel is kind of light....medium carbonation.
Pretty drinkable...goes well with a burger. Not complex enough to just sip and smell.
I probably won't buy this ale...but my girlfriend will....and I'll drink some of hers !

01-13-2006 23:24:38 | More by Hautacam
bditty187

Nebraska

3.1/5  rDev -16.4%

Largely clear, coppery gold with a bonze highlight; the liquid is very attractive. Simmering white head, at its highest point a formidable three fingers of bubbles sustained. Head retention was good; it slowly fizzled away to a moderate cap. The lacing started right away. I truly dig when lacing starts before I even take a sip. Subsequent lacing was very organized and quite widespread. This beer has a good vibe!

The nose is more Trippel-like then Belgian Pale Ale-like, which isn’t a bad thing. Prickly hops, citrusy and earthy, while not strong in potency I like this aspect. It is quickly followed by a great range of fruit, mostly tropical (like pineapple, mangos, green grapes, and candied citrus). There are more notes of candied sugar in the background. I wish the potency was louder… the beer is fairly clean for a Belgian. Is this beer filtered? No bottle conditioning? I like what I smell but the more I sniff, the less impressed I am. Still, it is inviting.

The palate is spicy and warm. I wasn’t expecting so much heat. Well, I guess 6.70% is fairly hearty. The mild malt body seems fitting. It allows the spiciness to jump off the foundation. The fruitiness is equally lovely, oranges, grapes, pineapple, and a tropical blend. Well done! The warmer the beer got the more it fell apart. It becomes sweet… some veggie notes develop. There is not much in the palate; this is a pedestrian Belgian Pale Ale… I’d like more hops and malt. There are some pleasant qualities here but it is missing those special attributes.

Medium-light in body, low carbonation… the mouthfeel is a bit slick. Thin and watery; I expect more from a beer of this sort.

This beer is very easy to drink. If the alcohol was lower I’d call this a Belgian session beer but, I can’t. There is too much booze in it. So, when do I drink this beer again? It is not as good as Rare Vos or Orval (duh! What is!). I never heard of this beer before I seen a few bottles in Lawrence, KS. I am happy I picked up a sample but I doubt if I’ll drink it again. Overall, it is a solid Belgian Pale Ale… there is a thin line between good and boring with this beer style. I need more to be impressed.

01-09-2006 16:06:10 | More by bditty187
DaPeculierDane

1.38/5  rDev -62.8%

I’ve been walking around Grenoble playing the local pastime (avoiding dog crap on the side walk) for hours. I’m thirsty and if one more angry, unemployed young man shouts at me, or another homeless guy dressed in fatigues tries to lead me down some back alley I’m going to go D-day on this place. I finally find an open bar that I can get into but the taps are just terrible. A large poster proudly proclaims that they serve bud light. Desperado posters line the other walls. I notice after some searching that they have Grimbergen on one of their taps. That will do, I think to myself. I had a can of that the other day and it was decent.

I order two 83 oz giraffes (because I’m so stressed from the anti-Americanism and dog crap). I sit down and set about consuming the brew but it's different. I taste apples, nasty, rotten fermented apples. That is all. That is all that is going on in this beer. It is terrible. My friends and I finish our nasty brew and leave. All of us come down with a horrible case of that stuff that’s all over the sidewalks. I won’t be revisiting this one anytime soon.

01-08-2006 01:42:40 | More by DaPeculierDane
benmiliron

Paid 1.29 euro for 33cl bottle. Nice color, no lacing. Big foamy head with large bubble. Color is like those 70's amber colored diamond shaped ashtrays. I know you know what I'm talking about! Weird how it reminded me of those.

Tastes very nice. Good sweetness, not too strong. Very sugary, a bit too sticky. Not much spice, but generous malt variety makes up for that. Mouthfeel is tough, especially at first - big sharp bubbles. Beer is a bit too sticky here too. Drinkability is good. Not overloaded on alcohol and a good but mild taste make this one a winner.

12-29-2005 17:38:39 | More by benmiliron
bigdeuce

4.1/5  rDev +10.5%

I had drank Grimbergen before and wasn't keen on it. Figured I'd give it another try, and glad I did. This Blonde is exceptional. Very light and floral on the nose, no hint of alcohol, and packs a good punch in the Belgian style. Very yeasty, fruity taste on the palate, great mouthfeel and extremely well balanced flavor. A crowd pleaser.

12-08-2005 23:42:00 | More by bigdeuce
becktone

3.05/5  rDev -17.8%

The beer pours to a great looking golden light amber color. Nice large 2 inch white, soapy, craggy looking head. However the head quickly dissipated to about a quarter or eighth inch. There is fairly good head retention when this beer is agitated.

Maybe its me or maybe I've actually had three beers in a row that have an aroma of sparkling white grape juice ( Chimay blue, Grimbergen Blonde and Great Lakes Burning River). Perhaps my nose is just out of whack. I also notice some other sweet smells that come from my glass as well. Even though these smells are able to be detected to me they are just not all that potent.

This beer tastes pretty good, I definitely detect a butterscotch taste in this one. There is not much bitterness to this beer, and it would be much better except that I get a metallic or glass aftertaste after swallowing this beer. Overall this beer tastes fine except for the fact that I get this aftertaste. I think that I'll do an extensive tasting of this beer again in a few days and change my review if I get a different impression of this beer.

The beer has a light to moderate body, with medium carbonation. Nothing in particular that stands out when it comes to mouthfeel. This beer goes down pretty easy but for me its drinkability is reduced because of that strange aftertaste. Again I think that I'll try this one again and edit my review accordingly.

Tasted this beer again in a day and I must say that I do appreciate it's taste a bit more now. I think that I'll probably buy it again buy it wouldn't be until I've tried many other types of beer first, that takes priority. For me this isn't one of those beers that just gives me the impression of "Wow can't wait to have this again!"

10-23-2005 22:18:45 | More by becktone