Grimbergen Blonde - Brouwerij Alken-Maes

Belgian Pale Ale |  6.70% ABV

Beer added by: Romabrew on 01-06-2003

Ratings: 628 | Reviews: 319
3.23/5  rDev -12.7%

Poured into my Brigand glass. Presented with the color of pale straw. Beautiful frothy white head dissipated into a thin skim with little bubbles adhering to the surface. Consistent thin cascade of belgian lacing throughout the tasting. Strong scent of belgian yeast, hops and a subtle floral aroma. Taste similar to the nose with additional flavor of citrus at the finish. Somewhat lively on the tongue with a pleasant feel of carbonation at the presentation. Left a strange aftertaste at the finish. Not a bad brew, but there are better representations of the style out there.

3.23/5  rDev -12.7%

I thought this to be a pretty average Belgian ale, but it was by no means a disappointment. Pretty malty and not as spicey as I might have expected, but for some reason I was expecting a pretty mild-mannered beer (perhaps because it was listed as a blonde ale on the menu and bottle) and that is what I got.

Pour was a pretty rich gold-amber color with good head. Branded glassware at the Palm Tavern was nice enhancement to the experience. Aroma was not that distinct - some clove and a bit of diacetyl. Flavor was more of that, but with a distinctly strong malt backbone. Mouthfeel was unremarkable. In all I thought this an average yet rather sessionable beer.

I would recommend this beer, although not that strongly.

$3 bottles at the Palm Tavern on Kinnickinic in Milwaukee; price was right. Along with $1.50 Huber Bocks at Comet, this has to be one of the better bar bargains in Milwaukee.

3.23/5  rDev -12.7%

Appearance- Deep golden hue, Head foams up quickly and disappears quickly, Carbonation rises constantly.

Smell- has a strong grainy smell, I'm new to the beer seen so distinct smells are hard to denote.

Taste- Slight spice, almost fruity flavor with a grain finish, No harsh finish or strong alcohol taste.

Mouthfeel- frothy feel in the mouth, almost creamy due to the carbonation.

Drinkability- Easy to drink, but nothing special.

3.23/5  rDev -12.7%

Had this in the fridge for 6 months.

A: Very nice and clear golden color. Poured with a finger of white head. Some lacing.

S: Fairly bland nose. Some sweetness. An almost cracker quality.

T: Fairly bland. Some sweetness. Really nothing memorable with this beer.

M: Thick for the style. Not too bad.

D: Much better examples of the style out there. There is a reason Duvel is a house hold name.

3.21/5  rDev -13.2%

Pours a clear golden color with a big two-finger eggshell white head that encompasses huge bubbles and leaves behind nice patchwork lacing. Could have used a little more haziness. Nose is a bit sour, and bit like apples. Taste is similar. Apple spice, slightly sour and tart, followed by some pale malt sweetness, and a dry finish. Good carbonation, medium bodied, and crisp. Just a bit too much sourness for the style. Maybe an old bottle, but not bad enough to drain pour.

3.21/5  rDev -13.2%

A - Crystal clear, straw yellow body. Two fingers of frothy, white head; good retention and lace.

S - Sweet and grainy, with a hint of white grapes. Slight scent of herbal hops.

T - Grainy, slightly malty sweetness up front with some light, fruity flavors. A bit of acidity followed by herbal hop flavors in the finish.

M - Medium body with high carbonation and a dry finish.

D - This beer certainly has its good points, but I can't say I am overly impressed. It is fairly easy drinking, but it is a bit cidery in places. The finish reminds me of a German pils, which is pleasant, but maybe a bit off for the style. Overall it is just a bit bland... kind of a Belgian style Miller lite.

3.2/5  rDev -13.5%

Clear (I was expecting bottle conditioned) darker yellow with a nice head of 1/2 of an inch. Laces well, spidery with good cling though. Aroma is lightly astringent, unripe pineapple with some yeast and lime. Flavor starts decently full, adequate body and carbonation, with sense of esters, some sugary sweetness, and citrus fruit. The brew loses an impression of more sturdy malts about halfway through the mouth and settles into an overly sourish quality, with a loss of texture at the close. Somewhat quaffable but it loses its drinkability at the finish, not settling great with me at the end.

3.18/5  rDev -14.1%

(Served in a tulip glass)
A- This beer pours a very slight hazy golden-yellow body with a thick rocky snow-white head that last for a good bit and a microbubble carbonation
. S- The clean aroma has a faint pale malt note that has just a touch of sweetness to it.
T- The dry carbonic acid note leads to dry tart apples in the finish. There is a light soapy note to the finish aswell.
M- The dry crisp mouthfeel finishes with a soft tight fizz. There is no alcohol noticed.
D- This beer has a soapy hop flavor that grows and that is about the only flavor. I didn't get any yeast character or malt flavor unfortunately.

3.17/5  rDev -14.3%

Pours a clear golden with a massice wite, longlasting head, that leaves some lacing.

Smells fruity and sweet, green apples and green grapes, belgian yeast esters in the back, not overpowering.

A surprisingly full overall taste at first, with refreshing slightly sweet fruits up front, and then the fruits get subdued by a quite raw dry bitterness that really doesnt fit, and in the end its all a mess with a yeasty breadtone marching in and claiming the scene, leaving a priomising taste experience at a 'meh'.

Okay mouthfeel for the style, nothing remarkable but nothing wrong with it either.

3.15/5  rDev -14.9%

Poured from a can I brought back from Belgium, nearing its good-until date.

Dark yellow, light orange color, the head was gone in no time. Smells sweet, I got bananas and booze out of it, not much else.
Tastes way too sweet for me, banana's again, malt and as it warmed up even some honey. Kind of a metallic taste too but well, it did come out of a can, and its shelflife was near its end. Not too lifely, borderline flat, the aftertaste was gone rather fast and I can't complain about that, I somehow remembered this being a lot better . Not bad but nothing to recommand to some one trying to get into Belgians.

3.13/5  rDev -15.4%

Largely clear, coppery gold with a bonze highlight; the liquid is very attractive. Simmering white head, at its highest point a formidable three fingers of bubbles sustained. Head retention was good; it slowly fizzled away to a moderate cap. The lacing started right away. I truly dig when lacing starts before I even take a sip. Subsequent lacing was very organized and quite widespread. This beer has a good vibe!

The nose is more Trippel-like then Belgian Pale Ale-like, which isn’t a bad thing. Prickly hops, citrusy and earthy, while not strong in potency I like this aspect. It is quickly followed by a great range of fruit, mostly tropical (like pineapple, mangos, green grapes, and candied citrus). There are more notes of candied sugar in the background. I wish the potency was louder… the beer is fairly clean for a Belgian. Is this beer filtered? No bottle conditioning? I like what I smell but the more I sniff, the less impressed I am. Still, it is inviting.

The palate is spicy and warm. I wasn’t expecting so much heat. Well, I guess 6.70% is fairly hearty. The mild malt body seems fitting. It allows the spiciness to jump off the foundation. The fruitiness is equally lovely, oranges, grapes, pineapple, and a tropical blend. Well done! The warmer the beer got the more it fell apart. It becomes sweet… some veggie notes develop. There is not much in the palate; this is a pedestrian Belgian Pale Ale… I’d like more hops and malt. There are some pleasant qualities here but it is missing those special attributes.

Medium-light in body, low carbonation… the mouthfeel is a bit slick. Thin and watery; I expect more from a beer of this sort.

This beer is very easy to drink. If the alcohol was lower I’d call this a Belgian session beer but, I can’t. There is too much booze in it. So, when do I drink this beer again? It is not as good as Rare Vos or Orval (duh! What is!). I never heard of this beer before I seen a few bottles in Lawrence, KS. I am happy I picked up a sample but I doubt if I’ll drink it again. Overall, it is a solid Belgian Pale Ale… there is a thin line between good and boring with this beer style. I need more to be impressed.

3.13/5  rDev -15.4%

Appearance - Clear golden, with a head that disappears quickly and leaves a lot of lacing.

Smell - Caramel malts, fruits and a little alcohol.

Taste - Sweet malts, finishes of with some hops and a bit of alcohol. Spices and citrus in the taste as well.

Mouthfeel - Light body with quite some carbonation.

This was the first beer that got me into drinking belgian beers. A good and inexpensive beer to start off with!

3.12/5  rDev -15.7%

The beer decamps the stubby bottle a slightly beclouded coppery color with a magisterial bright white head that settles slowly, the lace forms a concealing sheet upon the glass. Nose has an apple like fruit aroma, malt and bit of sour dough bread. Front has a tangy sweetness, with the malt adequate, hard apple cider comes to mind and palate, top is medium to light in feel. Finish is desert bone dry; hints of hops and the hard cider last to the very end, not what I expected, not bad, but not that good either, drinkable but a disappointment as I love most all their beers.

3.12/5  rDev -15.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - Clear golden amber with a rocky foam head and speckley lace.

Smell - Boozy aroma with some spice. Rather leafy and glassy and very medicinal in its alcohol and band aid like qualities.

Taste - Slightly spicy but that is by and large lost in a lot of alcohol tones that are rather like a poor champagne. This beer is very metallic and sulphury.

MF - Nippy metallic, light body and drying.

Overall - A rather poor blond. Definitely not up to par with the others in its class.

3.11/5  rDev -15.9%

Amber, clear.
The head of a large, white
The aroma of orange and apricot clear, piercing notes of banana, grassy hops, there is also an herbal accent.
Sweetish taste, I would say that even bland. The remaining herbs and intense maltiness. Saturation average, gentian is a delicate, herbal, accompanied by slight sourness in the mouth felt oily texture. Many times I tried to Grimbergen Blonde and every time something I did not fit in it, today was the same, but today for the first time, despite my whining, I can say that Grimbergen is good.

3.1/5  rDev -16.2%

We pour a brew of golden yellow. It holds a one finger head of white bubbles that disappears almost instantaneously. What are left are massive bubbles across half the surface of the drink. A light ring of lacing is left around the top of the glass. Transparency is high, as no sediment is present. Carbonation looks to be active. The aroma is predominantly malty, with a wheatiness about it, and a bittering, chalky yeast character. There are also highlights of browned apple and faint clovey phenols. As we sip, the flavoring begins with heavy malts and a sweetness, of overly browned apples. There is a contrasting bitterness here as well, from additional grain and yeast. The middle progresses more smoothly, with maltiness blending with slight esters. The finish calms down even more, with the very last flavors exhibiting a sourness contributable to the union of grain additions, standard yeast, and phenols. The aftertaste breathes faintly of those apples from the front and esters, but is overpowered by that sour curtain. The body is medium and the carbonation is high. Each sip is generously creamy, and the mouth is left quite coated. This, however, disappears, and the palate continues dry to the touch. The beer would be nicely slurpable if the carbonation was curbed a bit. The abv is standard, and the drinkability is fine.

Overall, what we enjoyed most about this brew was the interesting blend of flavors. Within this style there can be an overwhelming bitterness, without anything to calm or cut it. Here we found the esters to be a nice vehicle for doing just that. The other aspects of the beer were a bit dull, and stand to be refined to make some of the flavors and aromas more bold and desirable.

3.08/5  rDev -16.8%

Best before 07-05. Ingredients say acorbic acid humm; no botle fermentation. Appearance is quiet ok with nice white foam that stays quiet well. Golden and clear beercolor.
Nose is old and muffy with lots of koreander and partly oxidised malts. Taste is not that fresh either, hanging bitterness however not that disturbing cause low dosed. Fruity sournotes cause of coreander and maybe the ascorbic acid. Unfresh, tasted it more often but skip it if its not for a blind tasting....

3.08/5  rDev -16.8%

Appearance> Looks good. Very blonde with a big white head which dissipates quickly leaving traces of lacing.

Smell> grain, honey, clean.

Taste> Tastes like most of its style, but a little sweeter. Slightly funky hang, but not NEARLY as horrific as the hang on Grimbergen's double. It's a decent blonde. Nothing special, and a little sweeter than I prefer, but not offensive.

Mouf>easy, good even

Drinkability> Just not my favorite, but not too bad

3.06/5  rDev -17.3%

The beer pours to a great looking golden light amber color. Nice large 2 inch white, soapy, craggy looking head. However the head quickly dissipated to about a quarter or eighth inch. There is fairly good head retention when this beer is agitated.

Maybe its me or maybe I've actually had three beers in a row that have an aroma of sparkling white grape juice ( Chimay blue, Grimbergen Blonde and Great Lakes Burning River). Perhaps my nose is just out of whack. I also notice some other sweet smells that come from my glass as well. Even though these smells are able to be detected to me they are just not all that potent.

This beer tastes pretty good, I definitely detect a butterscotch taste in this one. There is not much bitterness to this beer, and it would be much better except that I get a metallic or glass aftertaste after swallowing this beer. Overall this beer tastes fine except for the fact that I get this aftertaste. I think that I'll do an extensive tasting of this beer again in a few days and change my review if I get a different impression of this beer.

The beer has a light to moderate body, with medium carbonation. Nothing in particular that stands out when it comes to mouthfeel. This beer goes down pretty easy but for me its drinkability is reduced because of that strange aftertaste. Again I think that I'll try this one again and edit my review accordingly.

Tasted this beer again in a day and I must say that I do appreciate it's taste a bit more now. I think that I'll probably buy it again buy it wouldn't be until I've tried many other types of beer first, that takes priority. For me this isn't one of those beers that just gives me the impression of "Wow can't wait to have this again!"

3.05/5  rDev -17.6%

A: light amber color, large-pored foam which settles to a one-finger-thick head. Carbonation like soda, after 3 mins like a lager.
S: like fresh, thick sourdough, hints of citrus.
T: tastes yeasty, sourdough, hints of overripe mango.
M: soft mouthfeel; sour aftertaste leaves a furry impression in the mouth.
D: filling due to rich taste and carbonation, saturizes like a Hefeweizen which makes you drink it slowly, thus I would not have more than three in a row. Otherwise you're full, round and can roll to bed.

3.03/5  rDev -18.1%

Marginally hazy appearance, lots of bubbles and yellow. Aroma is sweet, but has something that is kind of an afront, but not alcohol.

Taste, lemon, orange, coriander, zippy feel to it. Slight buttery aspect. Mouthfeel throughout leaves no surprises. Extremely expensive for what it is, plenty of similar beers (mothership wit comes to mind) for a lot less $.

3.03/5  rDev -18.1%

A clear deep golden brew, an off-white head with some lacing but small curtains.

Smelling of fruits, pears, apricots, yeast and butter.

Sweet bread, some spices, ripe peaches, butter.

Little carbonation, soft, a good body, a slightly dry finish.

An OK blonde, probably a bit old and tired.

3.03/5  rDev -18.1%

Beer bottle (25, 33 cl.), tasted in 1999.

Appearance : golden color, with white foam head.
Smell : hop and fruity aromas.
Taste and mouthfeel : round on the palate, fruity, very sweet.
Drinkability: an aveareg abbey beer in the style Belgian blond ale

Review translated from french 5-24-2008.

Bottle: Poured a light clear amber color ale with a medium size foamy head with limited retention and light lacing. Aroma of sweet Belgian malt with light peppery yeast notes. Taste is dominated by sweet Belgian style malt with a quite a bit of fructose notes coming through with a peppery yeast note in the finish. Body is light with medium carbonation with no apparent alcohol. Too much fructose notes coming though for my own taste.

Pours a clear yellow golden color with white head. Belgian style yeast, sweetness, and cereal grains on the nose; follows onto the palate. Finishes with a sweet note.

Grimbergen Blonde from Brouwerij Alken-Maes