Staropramen Lager - Pivovary Staropramen

Pivovary Staropramen visit their website
Czech Republic

Czech Pilsener |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-20-2001

I'm backed up on entering my bottle caps into Beeradvocate so I do not remember the specifics on why I put Staropramen in my 1/10. I do recall generally disliking it and finding essentially no redeeming factors.

1.25/5  rDev -62.6%

1.48/5  rDev -55.7%

More euro trash beer. Staropramen is a light cold colour. Pours with a nice head, but the foam quickly recedes to film. Not much lace to speak of. Just a few whiffs sporatically placed around the glass. Makes the glass look broken, actually. Wet cardboard smell. Reminds me when I once helped a friend move in the rain. Bit skunky as well. Green bottle/lightstruck, or purpusely done? You decide. It's not an overwhelming skunk, so I'm leaning towards the latter. Starts out bland, like soggy cereal. Not much of anything expected in a beer, like hops, malt, or even adjuncts. Aftertaste is a bit skunky sour. I'm not sure what it is, but I hate the mouthfeel. It's dry, oily and leaves an unpleasant sensation on the side of the tongues. Not something I would drink again. I could state that if offered for free, I might take it. But that only means it wasn't truly horrible. I'd take Bud Light if offered for free, I might even take Colt 45 if offered for free. Don't get this beer.

1.94/5  rDev -41.9%

Crystal clear dark straw hue topped by a fluffy porcelin - white head. Skunky mercaptans, sulfur, and rough grain huskiness in aroma. The sharp, astringent graininess coupled w/ the rough bitterness make this quite rough for a pilsner. Sulfur persists in the flavor and is a bit offputting... All around this beer almost abrasive on the palette. The body is weak and watery, while the malt backbone is seriously lacking. Finishes w/ an unpleasant tannic astringent note. I most likely got a poorly handled bottle, but I just don't see myself ever having this again.

1.98/5  rDev -40.7%

Another euro lager in appearance. Crystal clear gold color, almost no head, just a few wisps of bubbles on the top of the beer. Smells of grassy malts, more skunky than most EL's, but other than that, mostly the same experience as any beer from that style, only worse. I will never buy this again, there are too many better beers out there.

2.04/5  rDev -38.9%

2.16/5  rDev -35.3%

Good Czech Pilsners are difficult to produce and even more difficult to come by. Staropramen isn't one of them.

A standard pour yields a standard Pilsner body: light amber body, slightly thin, gassy head. A few scattered bubbles slowly make their way to the top.

The nose is fine, though there is a tinniness in it that can't be ignored.

The tinniness ruins the beer's taste. There are some good things going on here: The malt aroma is nice, and the bittering hops would balance it well if the tinny taste, probably yeast-produced, weren't getting in the way. Nowhere is this more apparent than in the aftertaste, in which the subtle, crisp hoppy flavors come through. Darn.

Czech Pilsners are among my favorite styles of beer. I wish that more of ones that are available in my area did justice to the style.

2.16/5  rDev -35.3%

Staropramen Lager pours a light orange with a fluffy white head from a green eleven point two ounce bottle. Aroma is on the skunky side, which I suspect is intentional rather than being light damage. Skunky hops and medicinal herb flavors predominate. Not my cup of tea, or beer as the case may be. Makes you wonder how it tastes fresh from the brewery (like I said though, I think the skunk may be an intentional part of the beer profile), but as sampled I cannot recommend trying this beer.

2.2/5  rDev -34.1%

2.25/5  rDev -32.6%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Saigon

I will not drink this beer unless there are no other choices.

2.26/5  rDev -32.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

Starapromen lager is a pale shade of yellow that is completely clear. The white head has good retention and OK lacing.

The aroma has some lemongrass, pale malt and butter.

I could certainly be wrong, but there are a lots of buttery flavors that make me think there is a dicetyl problem with this beer. Underneath the butter a light bitterness and lemongrass from the hops come through, as well as pale malts.

No complaints about the mouthfeel; smooth with fairly active carbonation.

I love a good Czech pils, and when I see them on-tap I almost always order them. This one, however, had something wrong with it.

Staropramen Lager from Pivovary Staropramen