Staropramen Lager - Pivovary Staropramen

Staropramen LagerStaropramen Lager

Pivovary Staropramen visit their website
Czech Republic

Czech Pilsener |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-20-2001)

Davepoolesque, Nov 17, 2014

SoPeL, Aug 12, 2013

Latarnik, Jul 06, 2014

mjacquard, Jan 27, 2013
3.25/5  rDev -2.7%

Melted butter with eggshell frothing at its top. Its complexion is magnificently clear and causes not even a slight blur to my finger on the other side. The surface is dotted with plenty of well profiled bubbles. It appears tenacious enough that the pasty rings which it's etched around the glass should last. As far as pilsners go I don't suppose I could ask for much more.

Asking a little more from the aroma, however, should be considered rather reasonable. I don't know how macro breweries ever think they can entice anyone to drink their products when they smell like this (granted, I suppose most of their consumers drink straight from the can or bottle). Still, I can't find any way of imagining that this smell of flavourless malt could possibly be considered enticing. Neutral - sure, maybe; enticing - definitely not.

One consistent, invariable trend I've noticed in regard to my tastes in beer is as follows: the beers that taste good, I like; those that do not, I tend not to. This doesn't really taste bad enough for me to dislike it but it doesn't have enough flavour for me to find anything appealing about it. Therefore, following my own logic, this is a beer I neither like nor dislike.

Which seems a fair way of summing it up. For you see, this doesn't have so much of the stale, cloying, off-putting chemical adjunct taste of most mass produced (especially exported) beers. That said, it has none of the lightly toasted breads, sweet malts, and zestfully spicy hops that a true Czech Pilsner should have. Normally I would punish the beer on account of the latter but I've had so many beers guilty of the former that I'll call it even.

From my very limited brewing experience I would say that two of the most difficult styles to reproduce effectively are British milds and German/Czech Pilsners. These are very delicate styles that require quality ingredients. They hide little room for error and really demand experience and craftsmanship to capture their subtlety and balance. It's no easy feet to brew (let alone export) a tasty, quenching, balanced pilsner - not by a long shot.

My experience having lagers in Poland, Weißbier in Germany, and fresh hop Harvest ales in California has also taught me that beers can be unfathomably better when served as fresh and as close to the source as possible. By my own admission, I've yet to have a *real* Czech Pilsner at its best. I'll have to stop wasting money on these crappy cans and start saving up!

biegaman, Feb 21, 2009
3.25/5  rDev -2.7%

500 mL can I grabbed. There are 9 different languages on the can, so you know it's a pretty international brand.

Pours a nice golden-straw with a thin white head that laces quite nicely. Pretty average smell - grainy, grassy, an edge of bitter hops, a bit of citrusy fruit - smells like a pilsener.

The taste's pretty mellow, with a fairly immediate hop punch, residing into a fairly neutral graininess with just a bit of fruity sweetness. Feels fairly aggressive on the tongue, then subsides into a mellow smoothness on swallow. Leaves behind a fairly neutral aftertaste, just a bit of hop bitterness. Really aggressive carbonation, maybe my can was a bit shaken up but it made me want to swallow as quickly as possible.

Overall I'd call it average. Not quite enough taste character, but not bad, either.

atomicbolt, Apr 23, 2009