Staropramen Lager - Pivovary Staropramen

Czech Republic

Czech Pilsener |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-20-2001

3.7/5  rDev +10.8%

This Staropramen edition comes in a green bottle, about 8 months fresh. Appearance is dark amber. Smell is maybe just above average, with a semi-skunky aroma at first. Taste is good, I can taste the hops and it seems very fresh. Mouthfeel is a disappointment, I still have that skunky taste, but it goes down fairly smooth. Drinkability is overall good. Good as far as Czech pilsners but not superior to my favorites of the German variety. A fairly good brew.

3.28/5  rDev -1.8%

Melted butter with eggshell frothing at its top. Its complexion is magnificently clear and causes not even a slight blur to my finger on the other side. The surface is dotted with plenty of well profiled bubbles. It appears tenacious enough that the pasty rings which it's etched around the glass should last. As far as pilsners go I don't suppose I could ask for much more.

Asking a little more from the aroma, however, should be considered rather reasonable. I don't know how macro breweries ever think they can entice anyone to drink their products when they smell like this (granted, I suppose most of their consumers drink straight from the can or bottle). Still, I can't find any way of imagining that this smell of flavourless malt could possibly be considered enticing. Neutral - sure, maybe; enticing - definitely not.

One consistent, invariable trend I've noticed in regard to my tastes in beer is as follows: the beers that taste good, I like; those that do not, I tend not to. This doesn't really taste bad enough for me to dislike it but it doesn't have enough flavour for me to find anything appealing about it. Therefore, following my own logic, this is a beer I neither like nor dislike.

Which seems a fair way of summing it up. For you see, this doesn't have so much of the stale, cloying, off-putting chemical adjunct taste of most mass produced (especially exported) beers. That said, it has none of the lightly toasted breads, sweet malts, and zestfully spicy hops that a true Czech Pilsner should have. Normally I would punish the beer on account of the latter but I've had so many beers guilty of the former that I'll call it even.

From my very limited brewing experience I would say that two of the most difficult styles to reproduce effectively are British milds and German/Czech Pilsners. These are very delicate styles that require quality ingredients. They hide little room for error and really demand experience and craftsmanship to capture their subtlety and balance. It's no easy feet to brew (let alone export) a tasty, quenching, balanced pilsner - not by a long shot.

My experience having lagers in Poland, Weißbier in Germany, and fresh hop Harvest ales in California has also taught me that beers can be unfathomably better when served as fresh and as close to the source as possible. By my own admission, I've yet to have a *real* Czech Pilsner at its best. I'll have to stop wasting money on these crappy cans and start saving up!

4.1/5  rDev +22.8%

Poured a golden colour with a small head that disappeared almost instantaneously. It smelled very hoppy, sweet and fruity. Has a sweet citrussy flavour with a bit of bite at the end. Mouthfeel is light and fizzy. Very drinkable especially on a hot summer day. I should have bought more!

3.75/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Picked up a single at the State Liquor store in Vernal, UT. About $1.00.

A: Clear pale gold color with about a 1/4" or stark white head, immediately reduced to nothing. No lacing.

S: Skunky hops and a faint hint of grain, light pale malt flavor, but definitely more towards the hop spectrum.

T: Light pilsener malt character with a pretty strong hop bite at the end. A little light struck though. Slightly skunky. I would like to try this from a can/on tap.

M: Crisp and clean throughout, begs for another drink.

D: This one goes down easy enough. A great summer day beer. Not a bad pilsener. I'd rather have it in a brown bottle though to see what a non-light struck beer would be like.

A - A nice golden brown colour with a small head, minimal lacing.

S - Hoppy and yeasty, very pleasant.

T - Slightly metallic, hoppy, yeasty aftertaste. Minimal alcohol taste.

M and D - Slight carbonation, which I like. Too much carbonation spoils the experience for me. Not too much of an alcohol taste, a nice smooth lager. Very drinkable, especially at backyard BBQ's.

3.35/5  rDev +0.3%

Aroma is crisp, fairly strong, and malty, typical of a lager. Color is a nice orangy-gold amber with a very thick but none too persistent white head. Flavor is typically lagerish, mainly malty with a little hop bitterness and just a hint of fruit. Texture is smooth and thick, almost syrupy, happily different from so many lagers that come across as thin and watery.

3.75/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Light amber and strong hay colored brew. Great column of bubling. Just lacking in th head and foam department. Crisp grass and pilsner malt aroma. Super crisp hops and super dry pilsner malts make this Czech beers. Crisp and somewhat bitter palate, make this one sessionable beer.

3.51/5  rDev +5.1%

I was thrown off a bit, since the label in Germany is different from the Czech version. But I'm pretty sure now this is the same beer.

Frighteningly clear-yellow color. Modest white head with heavy carbonation. The smell is a hoppy-sweet balance.

There is a heavy hop taste to this - nearly to the IPA range, but not quite. It's bitter, but not overwhelmingly so. Sweetness is also mixed in, weaving in and out of the hoppy dominance, until it all falls away.

The mouthfeel is sharp and tart, and the drinkability is good, though I am not a huge fan of this flavor structure. There is nothing wrong with the recipe or execution, it's just not one of my favorite combinations.

330ml bottle into pint glass.

Crystal clear straw hue with a thin white head that quickly settles to a thin cap.

Very light sweet grain aromas with only a touch of spicy hops.

Again, light grains in the flavor with a little bit of sharp and assertive hops. Light bodied with high carbonation.

Certainly a far stride away from the better Czech pilsners. This one seemed more like a slighly hoppy Euro Pale Lager.

3.91/5  rDev +17.1%

Bumping up my score based on the draft I had today 1-17-2012 at a German Joint down in Tulsa. This had a much better nose, loads of soapy & floral hops. Nice crackery & bready notes as well.

Review based on notes

Pours golden/pear with 1 finger of eggshell white head. Average lacing & below average head retention

S: Grassy, lemony & perfumy hops, no malt to balance this out...

T: Breadyness, grassy & lemony hops, plus honey malt up front. Metallic hops & grainyness dominate this as this warms. Finishes with a mix of lemony hops & grainyness

MF: Medium bodied with too much carbonation, okay balance

Drank alright, would only try again if I knew it was FRESH, I had my doubts about this one

4.1/5  rDev +22.8%

While visiting Prague not too long after the Velvet Revolution, I was new to beer, and found that the lagers throughout this new country were the perfect antidote to the mid-summer Continental heat and humidity. Of all the beers I tried, I recall this being my favorite, but it has never been available where I live. A recent trip to Toronto allowed me to grab a tall can of this trip down memory lane...

Poured into my souvenir Staropramen 50cl mug, from a pub in the backstreets of Prague whose name I don't remember, this pilsener is a very nice light golden colour, with a copious amount of light, white head, which disappears quickly, leaving lace all over the place. The smell takes me back to those dark, cool pubs near the Strahov Stadium, taking refuge in wonderful 50 cent frosty beer, no-English environments. It's all bready, biscuity malt and grassy green hops on the nose, and crisp hops and white crackers in the taste, very easy to drink, moderately carbonated, with a clean finish. I'm not saying this can is as good as a pint in a Prague pub, but that was a long time ago, so this will have to do, and do nicely.

3.88/5  rDev +16.2%

I loved in Czech for 6 months and I would have to say this was one of my favorites.I worked in a bar and we served it. Great example of a fine Pilsner. I tried back in the US and I would have to say it's not the same. But, still a great beer. It's my favorite of all the czech pilsners.

3.73/5  rDev +11.7%

Deep gold to amber, clear and bubbly with a nice head that dissipated quickly but left a bit of foam lace on the glass. A subtle hint of hops (skunk too, but only fleeting). Taste is malty sweet, a bit grassy with a nice fruity hops flavor that comes through in the aftertaste. A decent balance and not bad for the style.

3.48/5  rDev +4.2%

Poured into Pilsner Glass...apple juice golden, with soft head, low carbonation...although held good lacing, & had laced rings to show each mouthful.
Floral grassy hops in the aroma, as it warmed definate honey caramel malty notes. I found this to mainly have the typical lighter lager aroma.
Felt just like a Pilsner - some malts up front, then rounded out with hop bitterness to finish...definately not too complex though.
Mouthfeel felt a little deadpan,could have done with more carbonation given the style. However in saying that I found the drinkability to be easy...like your run of the mill mainstream import, safe enough to want more...& that lingering bitterness was inviting!

4.3/5  rDev +28.7%

I first enjoyed this beer in Prague in 1992. I purchase it only occasionally in bottles because it seems invariably skunky when not on tap. Therefore, obviously, this beer is best enjoyed on tap. That being said, I understand the disappointment voiced by other reviewers whose only unfortunate experience with this wonderful beer has been from the bottle.

This is a good, solid, easy drinking beer. The flavors of hops and malt are in good balance. A slightly darker golden color than one expects from a pils. Pours with a finger or two of head and leaves a farily delicate lace. The mouthfeel is smooth and very drinkable. Staropramen is a great choice for beer that can be enjoyed by those who appreciate quality beer and those who are happy with whatever is cold.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Served warmer than optimal in a small pilsner glass from a green bottle at the Brickskeller.

Pours fizzy with modest head and no real lacing. Golden yellow.

Aroma is fruity, woody, floral.

Flavor is soft, slightly vegetal, woody.

Mouthfeel is fizzy and light bodied, insufficiently bitter.

Drinkability is poor. This is what I get for going for exotic European beers without investigating first. Maybe I was expecting a 150 year old recipe?

3.63/5  rDev +8.7%

Of the major lager producers in the Czech Republic, I think Staropramen is the only one to have benefitted from being bought out by outsiders - in this case InBev.

A properly poured Staropramen is a thing of beauty, golden in colour and with a volumous head - best enjoyed as a "tuplak" or 1 litre serving.

With a nice clean flavour which is not overly malty, and a good level of bitterness, Staropramen is as good a standard lager as it is possible to get from the mass-producing brewers.

While it is not a beer to hunt down feavourishly in expectation of lager revelation, it is a decent pint with the lads on a Friday afternoon.

3.53/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Very nice color-- much deeper gold than most pils. Totally clear with an okay head that dissipated pretty quickly. Slightly grassy aroma, some euro-hop-funk as well.

Taste is good, definitely fuller than the average pils, higher malt presence makes the mouthfeel desirable, but that there's slightly too many bubbles takes some points away for me. Some lingering bitterness and sweetness at the same time, kind of odd.

Overall not a bad choice, but probably better on-tap in Germany or better yet, the Czech Republic.To me, Pilsner Urquell is a better experience if we're talking bottles. Need to find out what it's like fresh from the barrel.

4.12/5  rDev +23.4%

Tried at brew club's lager tasting

A - Golden in color, no head, light carbonation.

S - Malty, minerally, and slight honey.

T - Malty, bready, slightly sour, but pretty interesting.

M - Sour, bready, but well balanced though.

D - This beer definitely grows on you, Definitely good for a pilsener.

2.63/5  rDev -21.3%

A: Poured a clear, medium orange with a ½ finger creamy, eggshell white colored head that settled to a thin, whispy, and sudsy covering leaving a visible rim lacing behind. Visible carbonation was very soft.

S: faint, some fresh grains and oranges. You really have to dig deep here to detect anything.

T: musky oranges for flavor. there was some green plant stalk hints as well. The initial sip was a turn off but the flavor faired better after that. A touch of metallic nature was evident while the finish found some sharp, sour citric tones to it.

M: light, a little rough. Some sour oranges and a dry lacing on the tongue with a green plant stalk lingering taste.

D: Not impressed overall here, at times was a turnoff and at others though it had some good crispness to it but still I struggled to find a reason to finish this and have to give this a pass and don't bother.

3.37/5  rDev +0.9%

From notes 7-27-08

Eye: Transparent dark gold in appearance. Head formation, retention and lacing are all poor.

Nose: Malty body balanced and supported by spicy and floral hops. Pretty average in my opinion. Nothing special. More sweet malt aroma than I expected, in fact, the beer's aroma tends to lean towards the malt in my opinion.

Tongue: Nice smooth clean malty palate. Hops are spicy, grassy, and floral. Bitterness is a bit coarse in my opinion, it lingers on the back sides of the tongue and gives me the overall impression that this beer isn't well rounded. Its more like its boxy, square...with odd angles...coarse.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability: Nice and smooth on the palate, crisp, clean, and light as well. This is an easy drinking beer, very nice on a hot day, I can see it complimenting a wide variety of foods. This is one I'll probably not buy again any time soon...I know that there are much better out there. I am, however, glad to have tried this brew. Overall this is just run of the mill average.

3.46/5  rDev +3.6%

A: Deep, bright gold/amber; very clear and quite bubbly. Two-inch white head rears-up then dissipates quickly to skim that holds. Very little lacing.

S: Sweet rich malt and slight hop bitterness.

T: Bready sweet malt with classic hop bitterness of the style. Dry, earthy aftertaste.

M: Medium body. Smooth, coats the mouth.

D: Very easy to drink. A little fullness from carbonation, but good enough taste, I'd deal with it.

3.42/5  rDev +2.4%

Crystal clear amber body, with average head, which quickly dissipates but leaves solid lacing. Very strong, skunky aroma, with some graininess in the background. Taste switches those; more graininess, with a slightly skunky finish. Light mouthfeel, with relatively high carbonation. Drinkable, but I'm personally not a big fan of the skunkiness.

3.71/5  rDev +11.1%

11.2oz green bottle served in a pilsner glass. Poured a brilliant, pale gold with a couple of fingers of fine white bubbled head. Noble hop aroma with a slight metallic hint. Light bodied, very easy drinking. Clean flavor, some malt there, but not as much as I remember from drinking it before. Decent hop bite. Solid pilsner, good summertime drinking.

4.6/5  rDev +37.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

pours a darker gold color than your average pilsener with a short bubbly white head and thin sheets of lace. fresh malt and hop aromas. nice balance of malt and hops taste is slightly bitter and spiced. smooth on the palate and nicely carbonated. very easy drinking beer.

Staropramen Lager from Pivovary Staropramen