Staropramen Lager - Pivovary Staropramen

Pivovary Staropramen visit their website
Czech Republic

Czech Pilsener |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-20-2001

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 715 | Reviews: 314
3.9/5  rDev +16.8%

11.2oz. green glass bottle. Best before 2/5/2010.

Served chilled in a pint glass. It has a deep golden yellow color with great clarity and short lasting white head.

Aroma is pleasantly spicy from the Czech hops and a mild sweetness in the background.

Flavor is much the same with spice notes from the hops in balance with sweet pale malts. It actually has a surprising amount of bitterness.

Mouthfeel is light in body and medium-plus carbonation level, neither of which suit me very well but it's appropriate for the style. Drinkability is limited only by the excess bubbles.

I'll be honest and admit that I only really bought this because it was from Prague and I once had a wonderful trip there many years ago. It turns out to be an enjoyable beer.

4.73/5  rDev +41.6%

Don't get why this is a B- beer, I'm drinking it in Ireland though, maybe it doesn't handle its journey to America well. Tastes very much like Budweiser Budvar, not as hoppy as Pilsner Urquell, but as clean. It's got a great golden, triple decocted taste like a real czech pilsner should have. It smells great, no skunk, and tastes very refreshing and clean. I'm really enjoying this after a 9 to 9 day. Well done. Now to find it in America.

3.56/5  rDev +6.6%

Staropramen poured a full gold, with a small white head, and good lacing. The smell was faint with hints of hops and malt. Taste had nice sweet malt up front, followed by some nice bitter hop notes. Mouthfeel was good for the style. Drinkability was good as well. Overall I found this to be a nice beer for the style. Crisp, dry and refreshing, very palate cleansing beer. Would purchase again.

3.8/5  rDev +13.8%

Had this one at the Bayou in SLC.

Pours a nice clean/clear golden yellow color, nice carbonation, nice little white head, with some sticky lacing left behind. The nose is malty, with some hop notes, slightly yeasty, with some spicyness. The taste is malty, sweet, hoppy, yeasty, with some spice notes. Medium body. Drinkable, not a bad pilsener, tasty.

3.23/5  rDev -3.3%

500 mL can I grabbed. There are 9 different languages on the can, so you know it's a pretty international brand.

Pours a nice golden-straw with a thin white head that laces quite nicely. Pretty average smell - grainy, grassy, an edge of bitter hops, a bit of citrusy fruit - smells like a pilsener.

The taste's pretty mellow, with a fairly immediate hop punch, residing into a fairly neutral graininess with just a bit of fruity sweetness. Feels fairly aggressive on the tongue, then subsides into a mellow smoothness on swallow. Leaves behind a fairly neutral aftertaste, just a bit of hop bitterness. Really aggressive carbonation, maybe my can was a bit shaken up but it made me want to swallow as quickly as possible.

Overall I'd call it average. Not quite enough taste character, but not bad, either.

3.49/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Light, honey colored. Crystal Clear. A thin white head forms and quickly disipates, leaving a thin ring of bubbles around the edge.

S: An unfamiliar bitter smell that I will have to assume is noble hops, a bit of honey and toasty malt. Perhaps a bit of skunk, but im not too familiar with skunked beer smell.

T: An earthy/spicy hop taste, the malt is awesome, sweet and round, however, the strangeness of the hops really takes away from this beer for me, I think it may be skunked.

M: Effervescent, refreshing.

D: Very mild and drinkable, I would love to taste this side by side with it's draft version (if there is one) to see if it is skunked. I need to conduct an experiment and intentionally skunk a beer to get a handle on the flavor. This would go well with a mild fish, or anything that wouldnt crush the flavor.

3.78/5  rDev +13.2%

Pours a bright straw yellow with a thin, bubbly head. Laces the glass pretty well.

Aroma: Grassy and lightly hoppy. Floral Saaz hops, but nothing overwhelming.

Taste: I would've hoped for and expected more of a spicey Saaz hop flavour, but this is pretty bland really. I appreciate that its pretty dry, and the finish is quenching and bitter.

Mouthfeel: Pretty thin and carbonation is medium and sharp.

3.47/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

poured nice golden into the glass. about one half inch of head. slow steady carbonation. smells of hops and hints of malts. taste is pretty decent with a flavor of both hops and maltyness. pretty good beer a fuller body than i expected. finishes with a subtle hop dryness.

suckem up and movem out.

giblet

Poured from 500ml bottle into nonic pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a deep straw color with the characteristic white, bubbly head that seems prevalent with the style. A nice lace is left behind as the head slowly dissipates.

Smell: Grainy, sweet malt with floral hops.

Taste: Starts off with a fruity, apple like sweetness and finishes with a nutty, somewhat toasty hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Pretty thin bodied, crisp, and refreshing. A nice, balanced, carbonation bite.

Drinkability: A good, highly drinkable and sessionable beer. Being in central Europe right now, I'm a little worn out on this style, but this is still a beer I would go for if it wasn't the only style readily available as things are going right now in Slovakia.

Fours across the board, overall good.

3.87/5  rDev +15.9%

This is (or was) one of my fav Czech, nay, ALL pilseners. But I'm having a little difficulty in pinning down exactly which one it is due to varying label styles and info. A certain other beer review site has what I think I have as a different beer. eh. Usually I drink it, when they have it, at Bodega Brew Pub in
La Crosse, Wis. USA. This .5 l can I got here at the nearby Supermercado Carrefour in Recoleta, Buenos Aires. Poured with a nice head and some lace. Clear gold color. Beery, malty, slightly sweet yet a bit hoppy nose. Flavor is very similar to aroma but with the good texture. Just right carbonation. Not too bitter, not too sweet. Quaffable. Decent finish. Session beer. I likes it!

uh, PS.- The label is much cooler than the one shown here!

3.5/5  rDev +4.8%

Poured a 500-ml can into a tall draught glass.

Appearance - bright gold with a thin head. Wicked lacing, low to medium carbonation.

Smell - soft, sweet aroma of biscuits and grain. Further nosing provides fresh dough, with light apple notes.

Taste - immediate hoppiness punches through, with mellow grainy sweetness following. The end features some spicy hops with a lingering bitterness.

Mouthfeel - an interesting effect on the tongue, very fizzy for the carbonation then smooth and then fizzy once again. Novelty.

Drinkability - not a bad brew, decent flavouring and character. Not my first choice of a Czech Pilsner, but nothing wrong with having a few of these.

3.98/5  rDev +19.2%

Appearance - Gold, 1 finger of head which reduced.

Smell - The usual Saaz hop smeel, but quite weak.

Taste - Excellent balance of hops and grains, but a little too weak.

Mouthfeel - Very good texture and carbonation

Drinkability - Hard to beat. Perfect bitterness level for sessioning.

Overall - An excellent introduction to the world of Czech pilseners, which might encourage drinkers to try Pilsner Urquell and other strong pilseners. I find it hard to imagine how anyone could not like this beer.

3.7/5  rDev +10.8%

This Staropramen edition comes in a green bottle, about 8 months fresh. Appearance is dark amber. Smell is maybe just above average, with a semi-skunky aroma at first. Taste is good, I can taste the hops and it seems very fresh. Mouthfeel is a disappointment, I still have that skunky taste, but it goes down fairly smooth. Drinkability is overall good. Good as far as Czech pilsners but not superior to my favorites of the German variety. A fairly good brew.

3.28/5  rDev -1.8%

Melted butter with eggshell frothing at its top. Its complexion is magnificently clear and causes not even a slight blur to my finger on the other side. The surface is dotted with plenty of well profiled bubbles. It appears tenacious enough that the pasty rings which it's etched around the glass should last. As far as pilsners go I don't suppose I could ask for much more.

Asking a little more from the aroma, however, should be considered rather reasonable. I don't know how macro breweries ever think they can entice anyone to drink their products when they smell like this (granted, I suppose most of their consumers drink straight from the can or bottle). Still, I can't find any way of imagining that this smell of flavourless malt could possibly be considered enticing. Neutral - sure, maybe; enticing - definitely not.

One consistent, invariable trend I've noticed in regard to my tastes in beer is as follows: the beers that taste good, I like; those that do not, I tend not to. This doesn't really taste bad enough for me to dislike it but it doesn't have enough flavour for me to find anything appealing about it. Therefore, following my own logic, this is a beer I neither like nor dislike.

Which seems a fair way of summing it up. For you see, this doesn't have so much of the stale, cloying, off-putting chemical adjunct taste of most mass produced (especially exported) beers. That said, it has none of the lightly toasted breads, sweet malts, and zestfully spicy hops that a true Czech Pilsner should have. Normally I would punish the beer on account of the latter but I've had so many beers guilty of the former that I'll call it even.

From my very limited brewing experience I would say that two of the most difficult styles to reproduce effectively are British milds and German/Czech Pilsners. These are very delicate styles that require quality ingredients. They hide little room for error and really demand experience and craftsmanship to capture their subtlety and balance. It's no easy feet to brew (let alone export) a tasty, quenching, balanced pilsner - not by a long shot.

My experience having lagers in Poland, Weißbier in Germany, and fresh hop Harvest ales in California has also taught me that beers can be unfathomably better when served as fresh and as close to the source as possible. By my own admission, I've yet to have a *real* Czech Pilsner at its best. I'll have to stop wasting money on these crappy cans and start saving up!

4.1/5  rDev +22.8%

Poured a golden colour with a small head that disappeared almost instantaneously. It smelled very hoppy, sweet and fruity. Has a sweet citrussy flavour with a bit of bite at the end. Mouthfeel is light and fizzy. Very drinkable especially on a hot summer day. I should have bought more!

3.75/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Picked up a single at the State Liquor store in Vernal, UT. About $1.00.

A: Clear pale gold color with about a 1/4" or stark white head, immediately reduced to nothing. No lacing.

S: Skunky hops and a faint hint of grain, light pale malt flavor, but definitely more towards the hop spectrum.

T: Light pilsener malt character with a pretty strong hop bite at the end. A little light struck though. Slightly skunky. I would like to try this from a can/on tap.

M: Crisp and clean throughout, begs for another drink.

D: This one goes down easy enough. A great summer day beer. Not a bad pilsener. I'd rather have it in a brown bottle though to see what a non-light struck beer would be like.

A - A nice golden brown colour with a small head, minimal lacing.

S - Hoppy and yeasty, very pleasant.

T - Slightly metallic, hoppy, yeasty aftertaste. Minimal alcohol taste.

M and D - Slight carbonation, which I like. Too much carbonation spoils the experience for me. Not too much of an alcohol taste, a nice smooth lager. Very drinkable, especially at backyard BBQ's.

3.35/5  rDev +0.3%

Aroma is crisp, fairly strong, and malty, typical of a lager. Color is a nice orangy-gold amber with a very thick but none too persistent white head. Flavor is typically lagerish, mainly malty with a little hop bitterness and just a hint of fruit. Texture is smooth and thick, almost syrupy, happily different from so many lagers that come across as thin and watery.

3.75/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Light amber and strong hay colored brew. Great column of bubling. Just lacking in th head and foam department. Crisp grass and pilsner malt aroma. Super crisp hops and super dry pilsner malts make this Czech beers. Crisp and somewhat bitter palate, make this one sessionable beer.

3.51/5  rDev +5.1%

I was thrown off a bit, since the label in Germany is different from the Czech version. But I'm pretty sure now this is the same beer.

Frighteningly clear-yellow color. Modest white head with heavy carbonation. The smell is a hoppy-sweet balance.

There is a heavy hop taste to this - nearly to the IPA range, but not quite. It's bitter, but not overwhelmingly so. Sweetness is also mixed in, weaving in and out of the hoppy dominance, until it all falls away.

The mouthfeel is sharp and tart, and the drinkability is good, though I am not a huge fan of this flavor structure. There is nothing wrong with the recipe or execution, it's just not one of my favorite combinations.

330ml bottle into pint glass.

Crystal clear straw hue with a thin white head that quickly settles to a thin cap.

Very light sweet grain aromas with only a touch of spicy hops.

Again, light grains in the flavor with a little bit of sharp and assertive hops. Light bodied with high carbonation.

Certainly a far stride away from the better Czech pilsners. This one seemed more like a slighly hoppy Euro Pale Lager.

3.91/5  rDev +17.1%

Bumping up my score based on the draft I had today 1-17-2012 at a German Joint down in Tulsa. This had a much better nose, loads of soapy & floral hops. Nice crackery & bready notes as well.

Review based on notes

Pours golden/pear with 1 finger of eggshell white head. Average lacing & below average head retention

S: Grassy, lemony & perfumy hops, no malt to balance this out...

T: Breadyness, grassy & lemony hops, plus honey malt up front. Metallic hops & grainyness dominate this as this warms. Finishes with a mix of lemony hops & grainyness

MF: Medium bodied with too much carbonation, okay balance

Drank alright, would only try again if I knew it was FRESH, I had my doubts about this one

4.1/5  rDev +22.8%

While visiting Prague not too long after the Velvet Revolution, I was new to beer, and found that the lagers throughout this new country were the perfect antidote to the mid-summer Continental heat and humidity. Of all the beers I tried, I recall this being my favorite, but it has never been available where I live. A recent trip to Toronto allowed me to grab a tall can of this trip down memory lane...

Poured into my souvenir Staropramen 50cl mug, from a pub in the backstreets of Prague whose name I don't remember, this pilsener is a very nice light golden colour, with a copious amount of light, white head, which disappears quickly, leaving lace all over the place. The smell takes me back to those dark, cool pubs near the Strahov Stadium, taking refuge in wonderful 50 cent frosty beer, no-English environments. It's all bready, biscuity malt and grassy green hops on the nose, and crisp hops and white crackers in the taste, very easy to drink, moderately carbonated, with a clean finish. I'm not saying this can is as good as a pint in a Prague pub, but that was a long time ago, so this will have to do, and do nicely.

3.88/5  rDev +16.2%

I loved in Czech for 6 months and I would have to say this was one of my favorites.I worked in a bar and we served it. Great example of a fine Pilsner. I tried back in the US and I would have to say it's not the same. But, still a great beer. It's my favorite of all the czech pilsners.

3.73/5  rDev +11.7%

Deep gold to amber, clear and bubbly with a nice head that dissipated quickly but left a bit of foam lace on the glass. A subtle hint of hops (skunk too, but only fleeting). Taste is malty sweet, a bit grassy with a nice fruity hops flavor that comes through in the aftertaste. A decent balance and not bad for the style.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Staropramen Lager from Pivovary Staropramen