Staropramen Lager - Pivovary Staropramen

Czech Pilsener |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-20-2001

Ratings: 748 | Reviews: 327
3.27/5  rDev -2.1%

The colour is yellow; the foam is at first big, bit it sinks down to a thin white lid quite fast.

The smell is rather strong with some bread-like malt and lots of sweet hops (Saaz?). Fresh - just like you would expect from a Czech Pilsner.

The carbonation is quite strong, a good thing.

The taste got notes of white bread from the malt and a balanced dry hoppy note. The bitterness grows into a fine, very pleasing aftertaste.

I found this Pilsner OK, it does it job but not much more. Can I have some more bitter hops, please?

3.75/5  rDev +12.3%

the 7th tasting in the 10 LCBO lackluster Slavic lagers. This one is the best of the lot... fairly well charactered as a medium bodied bohemian lager in the pilsner style. Poured a pleasant rich gold, nice fluffy white cap that maintains, good lace, medium carbonation. Nice sweet biscuit malt and floral saaz hop notes in the Aroma. Medium bodied...slick mouthfeel, good malt delivery in balance with herbal hops...finish is clean with tart drying from more hop pronouncement. A nice Bohemian lager.

3.2/5  rDev -4.2%

A bold golden in colour, no head, just a firm white lace leaving a residue of head, actually kind of seem of a foam cemetary.

Smell hopish and fruity, a tiny bit of skunkyness just a shy bit though.

Taste hoppish, fruity with a lace of malt, a caramel flavour comes finish it
But, this beer gives me heartburns when I drink it, usually this happens with beers in high hops content.

very drinkable, I would like to have that beer in the summer not in January when its -50 outside.

3.37/5  rDev +0.9%

Smooth and creamy. Drinkable, which is above average for pils I've had. Beats Urquel. Clean, decent malts. Slight citrus in saaz hops. Good carbonation in finish. Balanced but on sweetish side.Another average LCBO lager import, but fresh. Thanks Paul.

3.5/5  rDev +4.8%

Served in a pint glass at Henry Street Ale House for $5.
Appearance – Light yellow in color with a short lived, fluffy white head.
Had light citrusy hops on the nose.
The light citrus hops came back in the flavor, but there was a smooth and creamy malt backbone.

Mouthfeel – Just the right amount of carbonation. This was light-bodied, with a creamy and fluffy mouthfeel.

Very drinkable. After reading the other reviews, I'll keep away from the scary green bottle, though.

1.98/5  rDev -40.7%

Another euro lager in appearance. Crystal clear gold color, almost no head, just a few wisps of bubbles on the top of the beer. Smells of grassy malts, more skunky than most EL's, but other than that, mostly the same experience as any beer from that style, only worse. I will never buy this again, there are too many better beers out there.

3.6/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Imported green bottle in Utah = increased skunk potential.
Pale-golden straw. Very clear. Big, fluffy, white head.
Smells of honey malt and light biscuit, accented with a perfumey, floral hop aroma. Saaz? A touch of the skunk, but not bad. Wheww.
Sweet honey up front, turning to lightly toasted malt. Wave of floral, sea air, spicy hops crests. Adequately bitter into the finish. Refreshing, spritzy carbonation. Light to medium body. A little bit more of a hop bite would do this brew some good.

4.08/5  rDev +22.2%

A friend originally from Prague introduced me to this brew several years ago.

At first pour into my favorite pub glass, it had a nice 2" head. Tiny bubbles atop a rich looking yellow sea.

After a third of the glass was gone, there was a kind of lace design on the sides of my glass in place of the head now replaced with a 1/8" head and a sort of halo.

It has a wheaty sort of peanut smell to me and tastes a little nutty too. I like the hop flavor, but I'm not quite sure how to describe it other than saying that it's not bitter and leaves a slick feeling on my teeth. Has a slight saltiness. The only fruit type flavor I taste is something like apples or applesauce.

Mouthfeel is smooth and velvet like, and I would say carbonation is just right. Crisp and refreshing, I'm about to pour my third one and I'm still looking forward to it.

3.53/5  rDev +5.7%

Sparkingly clear golden, forming a small white head with good retention and sparse lacing. Swirling produces a head that looks like cooking pancakes. Carbonation is moderate. Aroma is kinda soapy, like a perfumy shower soap with floral accents, lots of hay, mild dustiness. Mouthfeel is very soft with a medium light body. Bitterness is rather mild, but stronger than the Budvar with herbacous notes in the aftertaste. Alcohol is barely there, but adds a touch of peppery flourish in the finish.

Rather non-descript Eurolager...nothing standout here. Easy to drink, but not something I would seek out.

3.48/5  rDev +4.2%

Pours a brilliant light golden with a billowy white head that leaves a trail of lace on the glass.

A light sweetness characterizes the nose and is balanced by a sharp hoppiness.

There is a grain and honey flavor in the taste that is quickly countered by the bitter hops.

Thin and crisp and tad too bitter in the mouth. I love hops but the hop finish is way too pronounced to be pleasurable. A bit more sweetness to balance would be nice.

Overall a decent beer. However, the hop bite is just too much for my liking.

3.28/5  rDev -1.8%

Pours into a glass quite nicely; fine golden color, nice head.

The head doen't hang around very long but it does not instantly disappear either.

Has a malty smell with a faint hint of skunk.

The taste is nice. Malt followed by hop.
The beer is well carbonated and enhances the bite of the hop.

It laces the top of the glass but not all the way down. This may be because I'm in a humid location and the lace is washed down by condensation. (I guess I should drink faster)

It is a nice beer to drink. I've had this beer prior to right now as I review and I recall it being better when I wasn't disecting it. I also drank it in Prague where it was "the other beer". I've had this beer here in the US and it is very nice. I'm on my third sixer in the last three months, and I think that I'm enjoying this one the least. Perhaps there is some variability or it got warm in transit (I live in hot-as-balls Florida).

I'd rate this beer better but I'm trying to rate the beer in my hand and not the beers I've had in the past.

Overall a nice beer and a good representitive of its class.

3.53/5  rDev +5.7%

Pours a nice deeper golden with a thinner then expected head even with a rough pour very clean no lacing at all,aroma was a little skunky (green bottle)with a hint of sweet grain.Noticed a little smokiness in flavor off the bat with a touch of toasted grain and iron not much hop presence though for a Czech lager/pilsner just light zip in the finish.Taste is on the drier side and goes down well in the summer here,I would drink this over any domestic or Canadian macro when I want a easy drinking lager but those green bottles scare me.

1.48/5  rDev -55.7%

More euro trash beer. Staropramen is a light cold colour. Pours with a nice head, but the foam quickly recedes to film. Not much lace to speak of. Just a few whiffs sporatically placed around the glass. Makes the glass look broken, actually. Wet cardboard smell. Reminds me when I once helped a friend move in the rain. Bit skunky as well. Green bottle/lightstruck, or purpusely done? You decide. It's not an overwhelming skunk, so I'm leaning towards the latter. Starts out bland, like soggy cereal. Not much of anything expected in a beer, like hops, malt, or even adjuncts. Aftertaste is a bit skunky sour. I'm not sure what it is, but I hate the mouthfeel. It's dry, oily and leaves an unpleasant sensation on the side of the tongues. Not something I would drink again. I could state that if offered for free, I might take it. But that only means it wasn't truly horrible. I'd take Bud Light if offered for free, I might even take Colt 45 if offered for free. Don't get this beer.

3.53/5  rDev +5.7%

A dark gold body topped by a decent white head. The nose is mostly of the Saaz hops with the taste a typical Czech pilsner. There is the nice floral side and just a small bit of snap in the finish. Drinkability is top-notch on a warm summer day. Just a small bit on the cloudy side for a pilsner.

3.42/5  rDev +2.4%

330ml bottle

Pours with a medium yellow body, head forms and soon disappates, little retention

Smell, hop bitterness, barley, and a flowery pilsner hop scent

Taste, dry and hoppy, that verging on skunked taste but still, remains fine, good drinkability

Not a bad pilsner

3.36/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a golden color with plenty of fine CO2 and a fluffy white head and sticky lace. Decent head retention. Aroma is skunky and hoppy. Flavor is smooth and lightly sweet with a slightly biting finish. Mouthfeel is light and effervescent with a lingering hop finish.

A decent beer for this style.

3.33/5  rDev -0.3%

Appearance is a clear golden with a large white foamy head. Aroma is the tell tale signature of Czech Pilsner, the saaz is very apparent and inviting. Taste is crisp and refreshing, the hops deliver a flowery aftertaste. Clean, light body and easy drinkability. A good summer beer. Not the best of the style but a solidly enjoyable brew.

2.81/5  rDev -15.9%

My green bottle looks slightly different than the one pictured. It pours a clear pale yellow with a two inch offwhite head. Head collapses quickly into patchy lacing. Aroma has some Euro skunked cardboard which masks some hints of lemon. Mouthfeel is light bodied and fizzy with carbonation. Taste is mostly hop bitterness, just a hint of sweet malt. Very one dimensional with this lack of malt balance. Finishes bitter, and astringency detracts greatly from drinkability.

3.76/5  rDev +12.6%

This poured a crystal clear gold color with a nice one inch head. Light lacing developed through the drink. The aroma is average, as some malt and hops are detectable. The flavor was typical Czech Pilsner, malt with a biting bitterness and a hint of lemon. The mouthfeel was clean and crisp, and the bitterness lasted on the tongue for a minute after swallowing. Nice carbonation levels. A refreshing beer.

2.95/5  rDev -11.7%

I'll echo the comment that it's a little off-style. I expected more from this beer than I was given.

I was a little thin on the palate, and a little too astringent for my taste.

Nevertheless, it was a perfectly acceptable lager, and had the virtue of being very crisp, and a little lemony, which in this case was a good thing.

2.38/5  rDev -28.7%

Appearance – Light yellow in color with a tinge of orange and a smallish head.

Smell – Light citrusy hops with some sweetish malts that felt off-style.

Taste – The big citrus and sweet, orangish malt made this one off-style.

Mouthfeel – This was light-bodied, which is OK, but the nice, fluffy mouthfeel was absent.

Sinkability – This one didn’t cut the mustard.

2.33/5  rDev -30.2%

Poured a light amber gold with a 1 cm head that vanished without a trace.

Skunked. Another rotten vegetable smell is overwhelming everything under the skunk. Underneath that, a slight bread loaf appeared.

Mouthfeel was crisp and light.

Taste was a wave of bitter, medium at first, then it overpowers all. Warms over the tongue without any sweetness. I think this lacks definition, personally.

This is trying really hard to be average. As you drink it, it doesn't even try to flatter itself. Tastes too unbalanced for me. Don't think I'll have another.

3.48/5  rDev +4.2%

Pours crystal clear and golden hued with tiny bubbles and minimal head and lace. Aroma is mild malt, stomach acids and light citrus Saaz hop aroma. Flavors are pale malt, mild bitterings and a very light sweet nees to the aftertaste. Relatively complex lager and very classic to style in my opinion. (ed. note - I've had this beer in Prague on the square and it so much better its not even comparable to the stuff out of the bottle, every who likes beer should drink the Czech beers locally. They just do them justice by sticking them in green bottles and shipping them to the US.)

3.71/5  rDev +11.1%

Had this at a hole in the wall in a fancy part of downtown Moscow. It was clearly fresher than the last time I tried it (previous review). Came out a deep solid gold under a substantial white head that showed some staying power and generated excellent lace. The nose was mild, with flowery hops. The mouth was prickly and light. The hops kick in from the start, not overwhelming, but ensuring a mildly bitter experience throughout. Malts are there to provide balance up front, but the overall experience is hoppiness, particularly as the malt fades in the finish leaving the aftertaste completely to the hoppy forces. Good stuff, the dry bitterness only makes you want more. And more. And more...!

4.1/5  rDev +22.8%

Had my first sample today - this is definitely going to be one of my favourite pilseners in the future (whenever I can afford it, or get it abroad). I guess the Czechs won't call it a pilsener as it's not being brewed in Plzen, but to me it's a pils good enough. Good lasting head, delicious Saaz aroma, pleasant flavour, very well balanced, better aftertaste than most pilseners.

Staropramen Lager from Pivovary Staropramen