Northern Lights Lager - Bushwakker Brewing Company

pDev: n/a
Bushwakker Brewing Company visit their website
Saskatchewan, Canada

Light Lager |  4.50% ABV

A light Pilsener style lager, our beer closest to industrial beer, but with just a little more body and less alcohol flavour. Light straw colour.

(Beer added by: Noxious26 on 11-17-2005)
3.38/5  rDev n/a

Appearance is a very pale hazy straw, pours a small white head with a mix of small and large bubbles. Head recedes to a ring, and leaves a bit of lace.

Smell is grainy corn, malt, and a hint of pleasing sourness. Reminds me of sourdough bread.

Taste is again grainy corn and soft malt. Hops are almost nonexistant, but the balance is not overly sweet. A soft nutty finish.

Mouthfeel is perfect for the style, not watery. Bushwakker never overcarbonates, it always seems to be just barely enough.

Drinkability is only average for me. Yes, it is a great light lager, but it is still a light lager!

I'm a sucker for just about anything Bushwakker. This is my wife's favourite Bushwakker offering, and while I would never buy it for myself, I will sometimes have a sip or two of hers before I dive into something with a little more substance.

2.33/5  rDev n/a

650ml bottle poured in a mug.

Pale straw yellow and hazy. White, thin cap with big bubbles on the pour reduces to a tiny ring around the outside.

Aroma is grainy with highlights that are sour, and a faint piney hop.

Has a grainy start that is non specific, but stronger than most light lagers. Finish is sour with a metallic twang. Aftertaste is faint, but mildly bitter/sour.

Light bodied with moderate carbonation. Has a sharp, unpleasant acidic bite.

They say that this is their beer that is "closest to industrial beer" and that's the truth. It has a bit better aroma than most light lagers, and a stronger taste, but I'm not sure in this case that's a good thing. Tastes more like a macro lager than a light lager, and even then it is strong tasting, which is actually a turn off in this style. I'd rather have one that is smoother and perhaps with a hint of sweetness. None the less, I suppose every brewpub needs to have a beer that appeals to the macro audience.

Northern Lights Lager from Bushwakker Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 2 ratings.