Manny's Pale Ale - Georgetown Brewing Company

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-09-2003

Ratings: 295 | Reviews: 73
4.3/5  rDev +11.4%

I'd had this beer many times under substandard circumstances and nearly wrote it off as undeserving. But when fresh, Manny's Pale is stellar. It starts with a downy soft head sprouting breakaway lacy detritus over a clouded, peach-colored body. It's murkier than pale ales commonly are, but that's unimportant. What matters are the flavor and smell, which are more citric than I remember. The aroma is modest, yet it emanates the floral sweetness of Cascade hops that I find irresistible. The taste hints at guava and nectarine with expert balancing that doesn't let bittering steal the show. The end result is a beer of substantial refreshment value and ease of drinkability.

Overall, a beer of solid structure and appeal. Manny's is bold, but its lack of contrived theatrics keeps it clean.

3.95/5  rDev +2.3%

A: Poured a dark amber coloring with burnt copper hues. Sits crisply. From the tap the head is minimal. Ends up being more noticeable if you are filling a glass straight from the growler. Good stuff. One finger and off white. Decent retention and the lacing was surprisingly nice.

S: Little bit of hops and a little bit of malts. Nothing overwhelming, just solid. The right amount of subtle fruits and tangy bitterness.

T: Hops are present but balanced nicely against a bready malt backbone. Has a thick sweetness coupled against fresh pine. Citrus with solid toasted caramel malts. This will go great with a steak or a burger as it has a nice hops ending. Throw on some Warhorse and throwback this beer.

M: Light to medium bodied. Good carbonation and overall mouth feel.

D: I've had this a number of times on tap and fresh from brewery growlers. Even though I have only been in Seattle for a short time I can see why this brewery has a cult following. They aren't trying to reinvent the wheel. However, they are delivering solid beers to a local market. At the end of the day I have a ton of respect for that endeavor and will continue to support them. If you are in Seattle they are on tap everywhere so give it a whirl.

3.5/5  rDev -9.3%

On tap at the Parkway Tavern, Manny's Pale Ale is a murky (borderline turpbid) dark straw with a small off-white head that leaves moderate lace.

Smell is soft bready malt, a light herbal hoppiness that opens some as it warms.

Taste is a also really heavy on the breadiness, whoa, is this a kvass? I guess there's a bit of a cracker feel to it, a light toast, but it's all about the malt. There is a bit of hoppy bitterness but not much character busts through the fresh maltiness save for a bit of herbal mintiness, galena's perhaps? Pretty good though I have to say, but not what I was expecting. This one's everywhere but I'm not a big pale ale fan and never pulled the trigger, so if I got the dregs of a keg or something I wouldn't know, I expected a hoppier pale ale. It could be that my palate's just wrecked from the Maritime Xmas mess I proceeded it with. So bad I had to wash my mouth out with a pale ale! After some food I got some more fruity, citrus like notes from the hops, but again, it's all toast.

Mouthfeel is on the crisp, drier side, medium bodied.

Drinkability is pretty good if you like a bready malt forward pale with a firm bitterness to dry it out. If you're looking for a pale ale that's basically a DIPA, you'll be disappointed.

4.37/5  rDev +13.2%

Appearance - poured from growler with a thick two fingers of fluffy off-white head, is a deep cloudy gold color, head subsides to a persistent half-finger and leaves lacing on the side of the glass

Smell - smell of hops comes through, slight malt sweetness, grapefruit and citrus aromas from the hops, bready

Taste - sharp hop bitterness upfront is well balanced by biscuity malt tones on the back end, hops are slightly more assertive than a normal pale ale

Mouthfeel - very smooth, strikes a good balance between watery and full-bodied, it's right where a pale ale should be

Drinkability - incredibly drinkable, is a great anytime beer

Manny's Pale Ale from Georgetown Brewing is a great beer from a great local brewery. Their slogan is "darn tasty beer" and Manny's fulfills. A benchmark of the style and that's the reason why it's so ubiquitous in the Seattle area. It's hard to go wrong with this, or any of Georgetown's other beers.

2.7/5  rDev -30.1%

notes: taste of this pale ale didn't agree with me. Just too bitter, almost astringent. Hops aren't diverse enough and just seem to blast you with a one-dimensional bitterness. Probably my least favorite beer I tried while in Seattle and not one I intend to drink again. I much preferred Miller Pond Pale Ale to Manny's.

4.15/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured an amber color with a small head and left some lacing throughout the beer.

Good hops aroma slightly citrus and sweet.

A nice tasting ale. The hops are there but are not overpowering like a traditional IPA. Very well balanced and a very good session beer. I'm glad I tried this. I'll look for it on the East coast. A very well crafted ale.

4.45/5  rDev +15.3%

Ok, this is the standard for sessionable local APA's on tap in Seattle. Hoppy but not overdone. Malt backbone with complexity in the finish. Nice colour and nose and most importantly amazingly drinakble. The other big bonus is that tons of bars and restaurants have this on tap.

3.83/5  rDev -0.8%

I re-reviewed this beer because the prior review was on a growler that had been opened for 4 days prior to sampling. This sample was tasted in a 6 ounce portion in a glass.

A:. I poured a murkey yellow with a rich deep white head that was sticky and lingered before settling into a nice even cover over the top of the liquid.

S: It released the aroma of sweet lightly roasted malts and hints of citrus. .

T: It began with an initial flavor of roasted malts followed by a lemony and grassy bite of hop bitters. It finished with a sourness that lingered.

M: It was light bodied and refreshing.

D: It is a light bodied brew with a modest ABV and reasonably balanced between malts to hops making it a candidate for a session brew. However, the hoppy aftertaste and would make other IPAs better for a long session.

4.1/5  rDev +6.2%

This is a staple of what a pale should be. They use just enough Magnum hops to give it a nice ammount of bitterness but not overpowering like an IPA. There is a nice taste and aroma from the cascades. This is an excellent session beer that tastes great. It has a nice head but does dissipate and leaves behind a little lacing. This is an extremely well balanced beer.

4.02/5  rDev +4.1%

I had this one on tap while eating at The Flying Fish in Seattle. Served in a standard pint, the beer is a light copper with a smallish white head.

It has a nice nose of citrus and pine.

Nicely bitter with notes of pine grapefruit and caramel. Balanced with slightly sweet malts. Bigger taste than some APAs.

Mouth is a bit clingy with nice oily coating. Frankly when I saw the light color of the beer, I thought I was in for a mild mannered APA, but this one really stepped up and delivered a nice drinking experience!

4.2/5  rDev +8.8%

Manny's is a great PNW Pale Ale. I found it after consuming many Mac & Jack's African Ambers and never went back to M&J. It goes down smooth and is quite tasty.

I've introduced lots of people to Manny's and even people that don't drink beer think it tastes great. I think that's the mark of a truly good beer.

4.23/5  rDev +9.6%

A: Poured a cloudy orangish color, 2 finger width white head, good lacing
S: Smells citrusy, good hoppy scent
T: Well balanced, good grain maltiness up front. Nice fresh citrusy hoppiness
M: Goes down easily, mild/moderate amt of carbonation
D: Very good pale ale, well balanced and easy drinking

4.13/5  rDev +7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

This one was on tap at the Elk Public House. Served in a pint glass.

Pours and amber color and is cloudy. A stark white head forms and produces good lacing on the glass.

The smell is of citrus fruit.

The taste is of malted grain. There is a little fruit flavor including some soft fruit flavors like melons and grapes. It's a pretty typical pale ale, but good.

Mouthfeel is light, but little cloying.

This is a very drinkable beer. A top quality craft brew. I'll have this one again.

3.85/5  rDev -0.3%

This is an orange-amber brew that’s as thick and hazy as an unfiltered wheat beer. I’d doubt it’s a pale ale if I hadn’t seen it poured so many times before. It has a thick head with moderate retention and heavy, thick lacing. There is a sweet malty, biscuity smell. The taste is nicely balanced between malt and hops and is full of honey sweet malts and hops imparting fruity and floral tastes. The finish is medium long and the mouthfeel is very chewy. This is a drinkable beer. It feels like more of a gutful than other pale ales, but this could just be my own interpretation of the very cloudy appearance and the chewy mouthfeel.

4.3/5  rDev +11.4%

What a great find...this was recommended to me by a friend and since then I've seen it popping up in many places. Appearance is a very cloudy orange/copper color with a one finger head that leaves a nice lace down the glass. Smells- Sweet and citrus, very pleasant. Taste- has a nice sharp bitter up front that smooths into kind of an earthy malty finish with another bitter lingering effect. Not what I was expecting at all, but very, very good. Mouthfeel and drinkability were excellent, I could have many, many Manny's . If you have the chance to give it a go, I suggest you do.

3.9/5  rDev +1%

On-tap in Pike's Market in Seattle.

Served nicely chilled, a solid darker-amber with a small but firm yellowish head and some small carbonation rising.

From nose to head-taste to taste, there was a rather pronounced scent/taste that I finally identified as being like biting into a grapefruit skin-- slightly musty, tangy, bold, bitter, a bit startling and curious at first, and very unique in my experience. Even a few belches gave the same impression.

I think I would put this in my "mood beer" category, I might go session with it if I were in the mood. Definitely a "must-try" if you happen upon it on-tap. The server said it was her favorite drinking beer, and she's a bit of a beer-fan herself.

4.21/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: clear orange in color with a thick 2” head that lingered. Thick lacing developed.

Smell: orange citrus and floral hops were easily evident.

Taste: Nice malt backbone with caramel, orange citrus, and floral hop bitterness that was very pleasant on the tastebuds. A bit of spiciness was detected. Bold and flavorful for a pale ale.

Mouthfeel: lightly crisp and dry from start to finish. The orange and floral tones lingered softly into the aftertaste. Medium bodied.

Drinkability: easy drinking – a clear session brew. Worth trying of you see it on tap.

4.26/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had this beer while at a pier restaurant/bar in Seattle on business after trying 3 local beers and being fairly upset about not seeing my familiar local brews. I was pleasantly suprised.
The beer was very full looking with a good color but with no head (though not the beer fault it seemed). The smell let me down a bit but the flavor was excellent. Tasted as full as it looked and was not overly hopped up.

I was very happy with the result and it was the only beer I had on the 3 day trip that I ordered twice.

Had this on tap several times over the course of a couple week's at Sport in downtown Seattle, which unfortunately does not qualify to be listed on BA.

Beer poured a nice golden yellow with a decent white head that did not persist for very long. Aroma of cascade hops and Mac and Jack's yeast are quite evident. The yeast carried over the the flavor and mixed well with the spiciness of the hops and the malt. Was a better balanced IPA than most you will find in the NW, but still sat nicely on the hoppy side with mostly citrus notes. This may end up taking the place of some of the Mac and Jack's I typically order as a session beer. Very well brewed.

Had this on-tap at the Viking in Spokane. I would've tried this last week but the keg blew just before I got off work. Lately it's popped up at a couple of other places in town as well.

Poured the most orange I've ever seen for a pale ale. Good sized off white head, modest lace.

Smell was of citrus, bitter hops, and bready malts. The citrus was what seemed dominant to me. Not unpleasant at all, but different for a pale ale.

The citrus was less dominant in the taste but was still an active participant. This tastes like an entirely new approach to pale ale, and it tastes pretty good. The hops are there, but it's definitely not a typical west coast hoppy pale ale that could be mistaken for a mellow IPA.

Medium bodied with a normal carbonation for a pale ale.

This was a pretty good session beer. In hot weather it would probably be even better (40 degrees and rainy when I was quaffing this). A nice new wrinkle (around here, anyway, with this only just showing up in these parts) on a style dominated locally by SN and Full Sail, which it tastes completely different from.

4.1/5  rDev +6.2%

I had this on draft at a dockside restaurant in Seattle.

A very approachable/drinkable American pale ale.

The colour is a lighter amber than most.

The bitterness is similar to Pikes, but it doesn't have as much hop flavour.

A very good beer. Just not an exceptional beer.

4.27/5  rDev +10.6%

This is a damn fine pale ale. Pours a cloudy amber with orange lights breaking through. The head while nice and off white frothy at first settles into a fizz. The smell is very strong of citrus, light hints of caramelized malts make up the rest, very light hint of hops as well. The taste was suprisingly pleasing, the citrus hops rejuvinated and refreshed while the thick sweet cinnamon toast/caramel malts were filling, nice crisp and refreshing. The elements come into a perfect harmony. Medium bodied and very drinkable.

4.1/5  rDev +6.2%

Appearance – This was a nice orange-colored ale. I had this on-tap and the glass was filled to the top, so I can’t comment on the head.

Smell – The nice floral hops were complimented by a subtle orange aroma and a significant malt balance.

Taste – The hops were big in here for a pale ale. The orange sweetness came out on the tongue as well, which made for a refreshing combination. There was a nice balance of malt in here, too. Well done.

Mouthfeel – Lightly carbonated and somewhat dry. This was medium-bodied.

Drinkability – I had this with a sandwich and chips, so the thirst-quenching nature of this ale came in handy. I will definitely have it again.

Manny's Pale Ale from Georgetown Brewing Company