Lucille IPA - Georgetown Brewing Company

Beer added by: appenzeller on 08-13-2010

to view more.
Ratings: 211 | Reviews: 45
4.54/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

Served this beer at my wedding, so maybe I'm biased, but this is probably the best regular-production IPA in Seattle.

4.17/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

On cask at the Elk in Spokane. Very smooth and while it has added carbonation and no lacing, it has a more rustic flavor which brings out the hop profile. I found it very enjoyable

3.18/5  rDev -24.1%

Can't go wrong with this classic hoppy IPA. Find very few who won't drink a pint of it.

3.73/5  rDev -11%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Tulip glass poured from a growler filled off a keg. Beer is orange and slightly hazed, with relatively little head formation. Aroma is both sweet/malty and full of C-hop citrus goodness. Flavor is a high-IBU bomb. This is a respectable take on an unfiltered West coast IPA, though I have to admit Georgetown isn't my favorite.

A PERFECT brew for an IPA lover!

4.38/5  rDev +4.5%

Very tasty. Not really hoppy which I was expecting. A good beer non the less.

4.01/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Nice and tart without a heavy body. A real pleasure.

4.57/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is definitely on my top 5 favorite IPA's list. Fantastically hoppy and balanced enough to be very drinkable. Bitter half of the taste is on the finish, which I enjoy. It ends on the palate with a dry bitter feel, not that lingering sweetness which I don't appreciate when it comes to India Pale Ales. Still, it probably wont satisfy the cravings of the heaviest of hop heads. It is all around a great one though.
Bring it to dinner/football/birthday parties and even the faintest of beer drinkers may appreciate it while being a hit with beer snobs. I get growler fills of this consistently and am never let down.i guess if I had to critique I would say the mouthfeel is a bit lacking and it maybe could use a bit more balance, but, in my opinion, it's the 2nd best IPA in Seattle.

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

Had a growler before the Seahawks game. Don't remember much of the game. Did it's job.

3.96/5  rDev -5.5%

Draft in a pint glass

Color is copper with a small bar pour head. Good lacing.
Smell is citrus and tropical with a little bit of biscuit
Flavor is grapefruit and tangerine followed by malt and then a crisp bitter finish.
Medium body, moderate carbonation, dry finish

Overall a very good IPA that is one of my standards at local restaurants.

3.75/5  rDev -10.5%

Had this on tap.
Pours a malty amber tan color.
There’s some candied orange peel on the aroma with a touch of caramel.
There's an upfront bitterness with some citrus peel as it is sipped. Tastes sweet with a drying finish.

4.41/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

Perfectly balanced, highly drinkable, overall just a great beer. Highly impressed with this one. I was just on vacation in the northwest and Lucille was one of the best beers I had on the trip (and there were a ton of great beers/breweries up there. Wish I could find it back home in northern california as I would drink it all the time.

A-medium amber color with a decent white head and good lacing

S-citrus, tropical fruit, grains, floral

T-grainy malt, grapefruit, pineapple, floral, slight herbal, moderate bitter finish

F-medium body with moderate carbonation, crisp

O-good IPA, nice flavor and easy drinking

4.47/5  rDev +6.7%

Perhaps one day I will learn to use more technical terminology in reviewing a beer.

Until then I'll use language everyone can understand.

You could make a meal out of this stuff!

It has substance. It has taste. It smells good. Being the visual creatures we are the dark brown color and amber head started my taste buds watering before I took my first sip (scratch that... my first gulp).

Only trouble is - it is only available on tap (and a few places will sell growlers).

Lucille is an excellent beverage. That's as technical as I'm going to get!

"Oh Lucy... I'm home!"

4.14/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This is a solid beer coming out of Seattle. For me, the top three IPAs out of the Northwest are Laurelwood Workhorse, pFreim IPA, and Lucille. The appearance is decent. Attractive looking IPA. The smell is nice and appetizing. The taste is along the lines of a Southwest IPA, fruity, piney, and sweet, although a little bit more subtle. The mouthfeel is up there. Overall, I can see my self buying a six-pack of this to drink throughout the week. That shows this beer is solid. I'm from San Diego, and there aren't that many solid IPAs from the Northwest that compare to those from San Diego. Better stouts, porters, and sours, yes. IPAs no.

3.5/5  rDev -16.5%

Growler from the new grower station which adds the CO2 saturation. Great looking head, nice lacing falling down the 12 oz glass. Taste subdued grapefruit, hops hiding until the swallow. Fast flashes of citrus and floral oils. Mouth feels satisfied. Overall a good bear not even close to to world class beer but very drinkable. Cheers!

4.09/5  rDev -2.4%

On tap at the Skyview Grille.

A clear orange amber with a dense off white head with decent retention and modest lacing, this looks pretty good. The nose is a hoppy treat. Rather bitter and fragrant citrus and pine hop aromatics are present, dank and herbaceous. Sweetness is reserved with a faint toasted caramel note present. The palate opens with a pleasing, pungent bitterness, with a blend of grapefruit, pine and marijuana. Hop flavor is modest but it really works here ; the exceptionally clean bitterness lends flavor by itself. Malt character is faint, with only a look little burnt sugar present. Clean on the finish with a pungent and resiny bitterness, there is a little alcohol present, and that does detract from the wonderful palate. Excellent.

4.43/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a growler into a pint glass. Light head and has good carbonation. I can smell the piney hops. Has a decent bitterness, not over powering and very drinkable. Notes of grapefruit come out when sipping. Good medium bodied IPA. It's a shame they aren't into bottling yet or I'd pick this up more often.

4.12/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured into a shaker pint glass. Poured into a shaker pint glass. Pours a medium golden amber with a one finger slightly off-white head with decent retention and light lacing. Nice aroma of piney and citrus hops and light bready malt. Flavor is balanced bready and caramel malt and more subdued piney and citurs hops than the aroma. Light citrus juice and rind. Balanced malt and hop finish with light lingering piney and citrus hops. Medium bodied. At first I was slightly dissapointed that the flavor was not as fresh hop intense as the aroma, but this IPA really grew on me as I finished the glass and since I was drinking it with a meal, a total assault on my taste buds would have been inappropriate anyway. A very nice balanced IPA that I would drink any time I ran across it, especially while dining. Nicely done.

4.89/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I happened across this beer just by chance while in Seattle on business. We were having a beer on the sidewalk in front of Celtic Swell in Alki Beach. I had just finished one of their lackluster cream ales when the waiter came back to get our order for a second round. He asked me how the cream ale was and I told him I was an IPA guy. He said, "Then you want a Lucille". Yes I did and yes I do! The aroma from the Lucille is amazing. The strong, sweet smell of grapefruit hit us before he made it to the table. The taste did not disappoint either. Very smooth with a nice clean finish of citrus. Almost the perfect IPA in my opinion. This will now be my "go to" beer when in Seattle and I will search bars, pubs, restaurants that serve it. At least I know its available on Alki, I guess that's where I will have eat and drink when in the area. MY old standby was Manny's, I now have a new favorite. That'd be Lucille! Just another note. I spent a week in Seattle in a 40 hour training class. At the end of the week, I got a text from a friend asking how the week went and what I was doing. I said, I have face buried in Lucille. I hope they didn't get the wrong impression.

4.38/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

On tap at the Tacoma Craft Brew Festival.

Outstanding beer, with the quality apparent from the first sip. Not just a good color, but the brew practically glows. Smooth taste, lots of body and gravitas. Manny's is the main beer from G-Town but this is its big sister.

4.32/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Pours a nice gold with a hint of brown. Nice half inch head with very decent webbed lace.

Floral and citrus combine with a hint of pine resin and a light malt background. Very intense smell.

Pine and floral hops lead off the taste. Smooths out around the middle with some light malty goodness. Grass and citrus finish it off. Very smooth going down. Only slightly heavy on the carbonation.

Damn! This is one hell of an excellent IPA.

4.59/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Easy drinking NW IPA. Pours nice with a light head. Georgetown's growler exchange leaves the beer fresh in a growler for several days. After 5 days, thee beer had the same carbonation as the day I tasted it in the brewery.

Piney sweet aroma, nice and bitter for a relaxing summer day. Copper color with a light head that is perfect for an IPA. one of my favorite NW IPAs.

4.26/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

G-town Growler Grrrr

Hazy dark burnt orange brew capped by a creamy head. Little carbonation bubbles rise steadily and the aromas of spring burst through the foam. Powdered sugar-sweetened grapefruit and piney hops are the strongest scents. The taste starts bitter and stays that way to the finish. A bit soapy in the middle but the aftertaste is puckering pink citrus. Golden malts provide some body and balance. There's a a little bit of grainy toast, sticky caramel, pale malt, and just a touch of honey-like sweetness. Carbonation is crisp but the bitterness is more prickly than the fizz.

Classic Northwest IPA. I don't know what hops they used but I have a strong feeling that they start with 'C' ... just checked the Georgetown website - sure enough Centennial, Columbus and Cascade hops are included as well as Amarillo and Simcoe, all stapes of the west coast pale ale. The website claims that Lucille is 6.8% ABV but certainly that varies as the recipe is tweaked over time.

If you like bitter hops that don't apologize or relent, you will love this. If you are a hop-shy advocate of fermented malt beverages, or just prefer balanced sweetness, you may not like this too much. This is plain grapefruit spooned out of the peel with just a tiny bit of sweetener, which I happen to love. BB would too.

4.2/5  rDev +0.2%

I've been enjoying this one somewhat frequently lately, so I figured it's time to give it a review!

A - Pours a cloudy orange-amber hue, with a nice 2-finger off-white head, which slowly recedes. Leaves feathery lacing rings around the glass. It looks like a more aggressive version of Manny's (their pale ale).

S - Smell is of piney, floral hops with plenty of citrus fruits (orange, lemon, grapefruit, apricot), as well as some semi-bready caramel malts. It's pretty much a classic PNW IPA scent.

T - Taste is of plenty of floral/citrus goodness. Has a moderately aggressive, but far from over the top hop bite, with prominent orange and lemon notes, balanced with silky smooth caramel malts. There are plenty of west coast style IPA's brewed around Seattle, but this is clearly one of the better ones.

M - Medium-bodied, and satisfying, without being too filling. Mild carbonation, and silky smooth finish.

O - Overall, a really solid IPA that's become one of my local go-to's. Georgetown has a real winner here!

to view more.