Lucille IPA - Georgetown Brewing Company

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 225 | Reviews: 45
Reviews by sam_bliss:
4.26/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

G-town Growler Grrrr

Hazy dark burnt orange brew capped by a creamy head. Little carbonation bubbles rise steadily and the aromas of spring burst through the foam. Powdered sugar-sweetened grapefruit and piney hops are the strongest scents. The taste starts bitter and stays that way to the finish. A bit soapy in the middle but the aftertaste is puckering pink citrus. Golden malts provide some body and balance. There's a a little bit of grainy toast, sticky caramel, pale malt, and just a touch of honey-like sweetness. Carbonation is crisp but the bitterness is more prickly than the fizz.

Classic Northwest IPA. I don't know what hops they used but I have a strong feeling that they start with 'C' ... just checked the Georgetown website - sure enough Centennial, Columbus and Cascade hops are included as well as Amarillo and Simcoe, all stapes of the west coast pale ale. The website claims that Lucille is 6.8% ABV but certainly that varies as the recipe is tweaked over time.

If you like bitter hops that don't apologize or relent, you will love this. If you are a hop-shy advocate of fermented malt beverages, or just prefer balanced sweetness, you may not like this too much. This is plain grapefruit spooned out of the peel with just a tiny bit of sweetener, which I happen to love. BB would too.

4.6/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Growler purchased at the brewery poured into a pint glass.
Lady at the brewery said ABV was 7.2, didn't know the IBU.
Poured perfectly clear light brassy appearance with abundant head that retains very well. Nice lace.
Flowery sweet malt balances hop presence nicely.
Very smooth taste that allows a pleasant but not overpowering hop feel to flow through that gives the feeling that it is enjoyable long after swallowing.
The smooth taste and feel competes with the best IPA's. A very drinkable beer.
My first growler was great, my second even better.
Whenever I get to the South End I make sure my trip includes a stop at Georgetown Brewery to swap out my growler of Lucile.
update 8/5/11:
I am unfazed by the relatively poor ratings by my fellow BA's whose opinions I respect. Far and away one of my favorite beers.

4.05/5  rDev -3.3%

On tap poured into a pint glass.

Pours a nice amber and red collection e neither a small light yellow head, nice thin lacing, nose is malty and sweet with a lot of earthy hops.

Taste is also really earthy, a bit. Of citrus, nice caramel malt and a nice crisp finish that's very good. Overall, delicious!

3.78/5  rDev -9.8%

Grabbed a growler at the brewery. The folks at Georgetown say this brew is a "coming regular" but they are still tweaking the recipe. So, I'll review what they're currently putting out.

Pours a very dark hazy copper, one fingered head that leaves good lacing. Aroma is acidic and hoppy, pine and citrus overtones. There is substantial (and pleasing) maltiness at first taste, bready, followed by a strong bitter hoppiness with pine and citrus overtones. Substantial mouthfeel, this is no watery beer, drinkability is average for the style.

Not a bad IPA.

3.65/5  rDev -12.9%

Growler filled directly at the Georgetown Brewery.

A: Golden copper color with a bit of the unfiltered haze and a small white head of foam.

S: Primarily citrus but a bit of malt.

T: Pine flavor is dominant, but alcohol is present and not masked.

M: Medium carbonation. Alcohol is not masked. Very noticeable.

O: I have a soft spot in my heart for Georgetown. I regularly stop in and get growlers of Lucille, but when compared to other IPAs, it is very middle of the road. Nice to bring to an informal gathering, but I'd pick something else over it when given the choice.

3.73/5  rDev -11%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Tulip glass poured from a growler filled off a keg. Beer is orange and slightly hazed, with relatively little head formation. Aroma is both sweet/malty and full of C-hop citrus goodness. Flavor is a high-IBU bomb. This is a respectable take on an unfiltered West coast IPA, though I have to admit Georgetown isn't my favorite.

4.17/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

On cask at the Elk in Spokane. Very smooth and while it has added carbonation and no lacing, it has a more rustic flavor which brings out the hop profile. I found it very enjoyable

on-tap, Old Town Alehouse - Ballard

appearance: served in a tall non-traditional glass, hazy orange body - nice beige froth

smell: fresh. strongly hopped - bitter dry pine, grapefruit rind

taste: a nice bitter ipa - pleasantly suprised by this one. hop oil, pine resin, bitter grapefruit rind, very much a west coast IPA with a nice bite from the bitterness and abv levels

mouthfeel: moderate bitterness, medium body and light carbonation

overall: good ipa - would go to this one again

3.83/5  rDev -8.6%

Poured an amber color into a standard pint glass with a decent off-white head.

The aroma was subdued but had a hint of floral and citrus hops and sweet malt.

The taste followed the nose but with a strong, spicy, and earthy middle. The hint of orange rind was up front held up by a malt backbone that did not distract from the complex hop character. While I didn't get this, my waitress said she didn't like this beer "because it tasted by bubble gum."

Medium and oily mouthfeel with medium carbonation. A bit musky.

Drinkable IPA that I would have again if offered to me but probably wouldn't seek out if other NW IPAs were available.

4.57/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is definitely on my top 5 favorite IPA's list. Fantastically hoppy and balanced enough to be very drinkable. Bitter half of the taste is on the finish, which I enjoy. It ends on the palate with a dry bitter feel, not that lingering sweetness which I don't appreciate when it comes to India Pale Ales. Still, it probably wont satisfy the cravings of the heaviest of hop heads. It is all around a great one though.
Bring it to dinner/football/birthday parties and even the faintest of beer drinkers may appreciate it while being a hit with beer snobs. I get growler fills of this consistently and am never let down.i guess if I had to critique I would say the mouthfeel is a bit lacking and it maybe could use a bit more balance, but, in my opinion, it's the 2nd best IPA in Seattle.

4.12/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured into a shaker pint glass. Poured into a shaker pint glass. Pours a medium golden amber with a one finger slightly off-white head with decent retention and light lacing. Nice aroma of piney and citrus hops and light bready malt. Flavor is balanced bready and caramel malt and more subdued piney and citurs hops than the aroma. Light citrus juice and rind. Balanced malt and hop finish with light lingering piney and citrus hops. Medium bodied. At first I was slightly dissapointed that the flavor was not as fresh hop intense as the aroma, but this IPA really grew on me as I finished the glass and since I was drinking it with a meal, a total assault on my taste buds would have been inappropriate anyway. A very nice balanced IPA that I would drink any time I ran across it, especially while dining. Nicely done.

A - Hazed orange-gold with rocky off white head that recededs to a skim cap with little bits hanging around the glass.

S - Lots of rein and pine with citrus rind in the background.

T - Hop slap on the face, following the nose with resinous pine and citrus rinds...astringent grapefruit dominates the citrus profile...along with some green herbal notes. Definately displays the earthiness I would excpect form a PNW IPA.

M - Modrate leaning towards full and slightly oily. Lingering prickly biterness..

O - A regionally expressive brew, and quite nice.

4.59/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Easy drinking NW IPA. Pours nice with a light head. Georgetown's growler exchange leaves the beer fresh in a growler for several days. After 5 days, thee beer had the same carbonation as the day I tasted it in the brewery.

Piney sweet aroma, nice and bitter for a relaxing summer day. Copper color with a light head that is perfect for an IPA. one of my favorite NW IPAs.

3.18/5  rDev -24.1%

Can't go wrong with this classic hoppy IPA. Find very few who won't drink a pint of it.

A PERFECT brew for an IPA lover!

4.38/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

On tap at the Tacoma Craft Brew Festival.

Outstanding beer, with the quality apparent from the first sip. Not just a good color, but the brew practically glows. Smooth taste, lots of body and gravitas. Manny's is the main beer from G-Town but this is its big sister.

4.54/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

Served this beer at my wedding, so maybe I'm biased, but this is probably the best regular-production IPA in Seattle.

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

On tap at Sharp's Roaster at Sea Tac Intl Airport.

A - medium ambe, not completely clear but that is ok. The foam is thin but there is nice lacing during the taste.

S - Nice clean smell with citrus, mostly grapefuit, with hops.

T - Very well balanced IPA with full flavor in hops, grapefruit but not over powering, a very enjoyable IPA.

M - Good full flavor and after taste with no overly bitter feel through the taste.

O - I really enjoyed this American IPA and will look for it in bottles. If ever in the Seattle area you have got to give the Georgetown Lucille IPA a go.

4.43/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a growler into a pint glass. Light head and has good carbonation. I can smell the piney hops. Has a decent bitterness, not over powering and very drinkable. Notes of grapefruit come out when sipping. Good medium bodied IPA. It's a shame they aren't into bottling yet or I'd pick this up more often.

4.12/5  rDev -1.7%

On tap at Zerk's Pizza in Kirkland,WA. Great tasting beer by itself. Lots of hippy bitterness flavors with enough malt to hold it together. Great west coast IPA smells from the piny hops.

For whatever reason did not taste great with the Puget founder pizza which has lots of meats, olives and mushrooms.

4.09/5  rDev -2.4%

On tap at the Skyview Grille.

A clear orange amber with a dense off white head with decent retention and modest lacing, this looks pretty good. The nose is a hoppy treat. Rather bitter and fragrant citrus and pine hop aromatics are present, dank and herbaceous. Sweetness is reserved with a faint toasted caramel note present. The palate opens with a pleasing, pungent bitterness, with a blend of grapefruit, pine and marijuana. Hop flavor is modest but it really works here ; the exceptionally clean bitterness lends flavor by itself. Malt character is faint, with only a look little burnt sugar present. Clean on the finish with a pungent and resiny bitterness, there is a little alcohol present, and that does detract from the wonderful palate. Excellent.

On tap @ the Maple Leaf Grill, Seattle.

Pours a clear copper that leaves behind a good steady ring of lace as I drain the pint.

Aroma is clean piney/citrusy hops, pale malt.

Taste follows nose. Classic West Coast IPA taste, nice bitter finish.

Mouthfeel is medium-bodied, drinkable.

Overall a solid, enjoyable American IPA.

4.89/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I happened across this beer just by chance while in Seattle on business. We were having a beer on the sidewalk in front of Celtic Swell in Alki Beach. I had just finished one of their lackluster cream ales when the waiter came back to get our order for a second round. He asked me how the cream ale was and I told him I was an IPA guy. He said, "Then you want a Lucille". Yes I did and yes I do! The aroma from the Lucille is amazing. The strong, sweet smell of grapefruit hit us before he made it to the table. The taste did not disappoint either. Very smooth with a nice clean finish of citrus. Almost the perfect IPA in my opinion. This will now be my "go to" beer when in Seattle and I will search bars, pubs, restaurants that serve it. At least I know its available on Alki, I guess that's where I will have eat and drink when in the area. MY old standby was Manny's, I now have a new favorite. That'd be Lucille! Just another note. I spent a week in Seattle in a 40 hour training class. At the end of the week, I got a text from a friend asking how the week went and what I was doing. I said, I have face buried in Lucille. I hope they didn't get the wrong impression.

4.41/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

Perfectly balanced, highly drinkable, overall just a great beer. Highly impressed with this one. I was just on vacation in the northwest and Lucille was one of the best beers I had on the trip (and there were a ton of great beers/breweries up there. Wish I could find it back home in northern california as I would drink it all the time.

4.08/5  rDev -2.6%

I had Lucille on tap at Jules Maes Saloon in Seattle.

Appearance: cloudy orange hue with thin tan head due to pour. I like the look of it.

Smell: aroma is citrusy hops, but seemed a bit light to me. The beer was not served ice-cold, so I don't think temperature was at fault here. Good composition, but I'd like to see a little more intensity.

Taste: Lucille is all about citrusy hops, with a little bit of funkiness thrown in to break the monotony. More than that, though, the flavors in this beer just really work well together; they are properly balanced and the brewers just seem to have put a lot of care into this beer. The west coast IPA is a pretty well-worn style at this point, but Georgetown have executed it superbly.

Mouthfeel: medium body with a good level of carbonation for the style. It's a little creamy, but still has that nice IPA bite.

Drinkability: just a super tasty and refreshingly drinkable IPA. I look forward to drinking tons of this in the future.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »