Lucille IPA - Georgetown Brewing Company

Washington, United States

Beer added by: appenzeller on 08-13-2010

Reviews by timwardjr:

4.6/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Growler purchased at the brewery poured into a pint glass.
Lady at the brewery said ABV was 7.2, didn't know the IBU.
Poured perfectly clear light brassy appearance with abundant head that retains very well. Nice lace.
Flowery sweet malt balances hop presence nicely.
Very smooth taste that allows a pleasant but not overpowering hop feel to flow through that gives the feeling that it is enjoyable long after swallowing.
The smooth taste and feel competes with the best IPA's. A very drinkable beer.
My first growler was great, my second even better.
Whenever I get to the South End I make sure my trip includes a stop at Georgetown Brewery to swap out my growler of Lucile.
update 8/5/11:
I am unfazed by the relatively poor ratings by my fellow BA's whose opinions I respect. Far and away one of my favorite beers.

4.05/5  rDev -3.3%

On tap poured into a pint glass.

Pours a nice amber and red collection e neither a small light yellow head, nice thin lacing, nose is malty and sweet with a lot of earthy hops.

Taste is also really earthy, a bit. Of citrus, nice caramel malt and a nice crisp finish that's very good. Overall, delicious!

3.78/5  rDev -9.8%

Grabbed a growler at the brewery. The folks at Georgetown say this brew is a "coming regular" but they are still tweaking the recipe. So, I'll review what they're currently putting out.

Pours a very dark hazy copper, one fingered head that leaves good lacing. Aroma is acidic and hoppy, pine and citrus overtones. There is substantial (and pleasing) maltiness at first taste, bready, followed by a strong bitter hoppiness with pine and citrus overtones. Substantial mouthfeel, this is no watery beer, drinkability is average for the style.

Not a bad IPA.

3.65/5  rDev -12.9%

Growler filled directly at the Georgetown Brewery.

A: Golden copper color with a bit of the unfiltered haze and a small white head of foam.

S: Primarily citrus but a bit of malt.

T: Pine flavor is dominant, but alcohol is present and not masked.

M: Medium carbonation. Alcohol is not masked. Very noticeable.

O: I have a soft spot in my heart for Georgetown. I regularly stop in and get growlers of Lucille, but when compared to other IPAs, it is very middle of the road. Nice to bring to an informal gathering, but I'd pick something else over it when given the choice.

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

3.73/5  rDev -11%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Tulip glass poured from a growler filled off a keg. Beer is orange and slightly hazed, with relatively little head formation. Aroma is both sweet/malty and full of C-hop citrus goodness. Flavor is a high-IBU bomb. This is a respectable take on an unfiltered West coast IPA, though I have to admit Georgetown isn't my favorite.

on-tap, Old Town Alehouse - Ballard

appearance: served in a tall non-traditional glass, hazy orange body - nice beige froth

smell: fresh. strongly hopped - bitter dry pine, grapefruit rind

taste: a nice bitter ipa - pleasantly suprised by this one. hop oil, pine resin, bitter grapefruit rind, very much a west coast IPA with a nice bite from the bitterness and abv levels

mouthfeel: moderate bitterness, medium body and light carbonation

overall: good ipa - would go to this one again

3.83/5  rDev -8.6%

Poured an amber color into a standard pint glass with a decent off-white head.

The aroma was subdued but had a hint of floral and citrus hops and sweet malt.

The taste followed the nose but with a strong, spicy, and earthy middle. The hint of orange rind was up front held up by a malt backbone that did not distract from the complex hop character. While I didn't get this, my waitress said she didn't like this beer "because it tasted by bubble gum."

Medium and oily mouthfeel with medium carbonation. A bit musky.

Drinkable IPA that I would have again if offered to me but probably wouldn't seek out if other NW IPAs were available.

4.57/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is definitely on my top 5 favorite IPA's list. Fantastically hoppy and balanced enough to be very drinkable. Bitter half of the taste is on the finish, which I enjoy. It ends on the palate with a dry bitter feel, not that lingering sweetness which I don't appreciate when it comes to India Pale Ales. Still, it probably wont satisfy the cravings of the heaviest of hop heads. It is all around a great one though.
Bring it to dinner/football/birthday parties and even the faintest of beer drinkers may appreciate it while being a hit with beer snobs. I get growler fills of this consistently and am never let down.i guess if I had to critique I would say the mouthfeel is a bit lacking and it maybe could use a bit more balance, but, in my opinion, it's the 2nd best IPA in Seattle.

4.48/5  rDev +6.9%