Super Bock - UNICER União Cervejeira S.A.

Super BockSuper Bock

poor

UNICER União Cervejeira S.A. visit their website
Portugal

American Adjunct Lager |  5.60% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-19-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Super Bock Alström Bros
TheManiacalOne

Rhode Island

A: The beer is a light gold color, with a short white head that fades quickly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of light malts, adjuncts and a little bit of hops.

T: The taste is bready and sweet with flavors of macro-style adjuncts and light malts. There's a decent hops presence for the style. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and a little smooth, medium body, medium-to-high carbonation, finish is clean.

D: A little tasty, goes down ok, not too filling, mild kick, for what it is, it's a decent beer and a better alternative than others of its kind, however, overall there's nothing that would make want to drink it again over many other beers.

02-22-2008 17:13:19 | More by TheManiacalOne
jdhilt

New Hampshire

3.15/5  rDev +12.1%

Pours a five finger white head that fades quickly to a thin layer leaving some lace. Crystal clear light amber color. Light carbonation and light-medium bodied. Grassy floral nose. Flavor is sweet, grassy more like a malt liquor, hops stay balanced. $1.95 for a 12oz bottle from Colonial Spirits Acton, MA.

01-10-2008 23:15:20 | More by jdhilt
CharlieMopps

2.45/5  rDev -12.8%

A: Poured a clear, pale, golden straw color, which seemed rather typical. However, a nice little foamy head formed that displayed better retention and lacing than expected.

S: A musty and grainy nose with some noticeable hop bitterness.

T: Even for a lager, this one was actually very close to tasteless. And I enjoy a well-done lager, but I guess I didn't want the style to color my perception of this beer. Weak malt intro that's mostly water leading to a weak hop finish that's mostly water. A tad bit of buttery hints, but barely detectable on the tongue.

M: An acceptable level of carbonation, very light and not headache-enducing, but still, watery and only slightly slick from hops.

D: If you enjoy the Macro Lager style and want to see what an advanced BMC beer could taste like, opt for this. If you're looking for a subtle yet flavorful lager, I'd look elsewhere.

10-04-2007 22:31:46 | More by CharlieMopps
wl0307

United Kingdom (England)

2.2/5  rDev -21.7%

This is the first Portugese beer I'm going to try, and yet according to the previous reviews it doesn't seem to rate so well... BB 12/2007, served chilled in a weizen glass.

A: dark yellow-ish straw in colour, coming with a thick but puffy white head dissipating slowly; carbonation is constant and not OTT.
S: lightly lemony fruits and floral hopppyness come hand in hand, along with a lightly metalic/rusty edge; at the back is a layer of aromatic-sweet, boiled-corn-like, grainy maltiness and a touch of syrupy sugary. Overall the aroma is more in line with a sour lager than with a really paper-thin grainy note of Bud-like crap.
T: a slightly powdery grainy flavour with a bloody thin lemony, even fruit-flavouring-like, sour edge precedes a mildly dry finish of hops and a residual undernote of boiled corns and melted cane-sugar; the finish is very bland with a little dryish as well as honey-ish palate.
M&D: lightly fizzy in texture, befitting for the gravity, but the body is way too thin overall to be enjoyable at all. It's not a horrible beer, though, just lacking almost all the right elements for a quality one...

09-07-2007 18:57:17 | More by wl0307
Shadman

2.68/5  rDev -4.6%

A portguese bock beer??? Let's see shall we.

Hmmm..looks like a macro-lager to me. A deeper amber than most, very clear with some nice lacing. .

smeels awfully macro-like as well. Grainy, slighty musty with some slight cooked veggie untertones.

Quite grainy initially, some hop bitterness. I also noted just a hint of citrus and prehaps a hint of fruitiness, another reviewer mentioned grape and I would concur.

mouthfeel was nice, decent in body, a good level of crispness. Finish was neither dry nor wet.

An average macro that's neither a bock nor super in my books

06-30-2007 18:44:29 | More by Shadman
auxiliary

1.8/5  rDev -35.9%

appearance - Light straw color, nice head and lace on the glass.

smell - Bit skunked smell. Typical rice smell on a macro too.

taste - Nothing more of less then a typical macro beer, but with less flavor, and some bitterness.

mouthfeel - Light and carbonated.

drinkability - This is not bock, misleading. Should of been called Super Macro. Only reason I picked up a single of this is because it was from Portugal. I feel sorry for the people in Portugal drinking this beer right now. I only drank about 1/4 of it and dumped the rest. Not even a beer to me.Needs more work on.

05-30-2007 17:09:38 | More by auxiliary
AlexLMS

Portugal

1.93/5  rDev -31.3%

To begin with, it is not a bock, despite the misleading name. In truth it is an american macro lager.

Appearance: golden color. White head with moderate size and good retention. Very clear.
Taste: kind of bitter
Mouthfeel: drying sensation. Moderate carbonation, low-strength and light body.
Finish: bitter and persistent aftertaste.

Overall: fresh adjunct lager. The flavor is not very pleasant, and it gets worst because of the lingering aftertaste. There are betters beers in Portugal. I don't think I gonna give this one another chance.

03-11-2007 18:38:54 | More by AlexLMS
connecticutpoet

Connecticut

2.48/5  rDev -11.7%

This beer poured out clear, yellow, and well carbonated with a one finger, noisy, fast and fizzy head which quickly subsided to a sparse thin layer of foam on the top.

The aroma was kinda nasty... skunky hops and grains. Not inspiring. However, I have a theory about beer tasting. One must get experience across the board... the good as well as the bad... to be an effective judge of beer quality.

Taste was grainy. It was a little bitter, and a bit sweet and bready. There was only a trace of skunkiness in the taste... but it showed up again in the aftertaste. This beer made me burp a lot.

Mouthfeel was about average for a macro lager. Not watery, and not thin, but not heavy either.

Drinkability was not great. I knew what to expect going into it, but still, I would not get this one again. Mainly I got it because I had not had a beer form Portugal before.

12-16-2006 04:23:38 | More by connecticutpoet
nekronos

Mexico

Nothing special, it wa snot that Bock, but it was interesting to have it. TH efoam was just tehre and the colour was not that dark. YOu know, there are different kinds of Bocks, and this one was of the semi Golden ones. NOt too alchololic though. Does not ive you a bad aftertaste and it is drinkable.

10-11-2006 16:13:59 | More by nekronos
seanyfo

United Kingdom (Scotland)

3.28/5  rDev +16.7%

Obviously not a bock if you read the label

A - 330ml bottle poured into a standard 1/2 pint glass. Dull, apple juice amber in colour, very little head or brussels lacing. A bit listless in carbonation. Not very appealing looking

S- Can pick up a lot of sweet malt notes, not much hop here though. But at least there is somethin to smell compared to other macros

T - Reminds me of a bad homebrew all malt american lager. Lots of malty sweetness finishing in a slightly sticky crisp quiet hoppy finish. Doesnt vanish altogether tho, it has a little character.

M- Clean, sweet, low to medium carbonation, goes down easy enough, standard lager.

D - This is not as bad as bud, miller or corona which all look like anaemic. This has some nice qualities, and i would choose this over a lot of other macros - as macros go, its slightly above average, drinkable but still forgettable.

10-06-2006 12:49:41 | More by seanyfo
allergictomacros

Ontario (Canada)

2.58/5  rDev -8.2%

Eh... This doesn't look like any bock I've ever seen.

A - Clear straw, but with an impressive head - sticky and foamy. Clingy.

S - Chestnuts and veggies.

T - Oo. Macro all the way. Quite sweet. Mild, flavourless bitterness, and an astringent aftertaste.

M - Light. Fizzy. As expected.

D - Poor to ... well poor. No really, it's not bad for a macro, but nothing special. I gotta say though that it's the best LOOKING macro I've had. Lots of clingy lace and a shade darker than the usual suspects. This ain't no bock though.

08-22-2006 05:45:31 | More by allergictomacros
plaid75

2.8/5  rDev -0.4%

Poured a very pale straw hue, with a foamy one finger head. There was little retention and lacing.

The smell was very subdued. Yeasty and grainy aromas were detectable though. Corn elements as well.

The taste is a bit grainy but had a decent hop presence. The beer finished extremely dry, which improved the flavor for me.

The mouthfeel was a bit thin. The very dry finish left me nearly salivating (in a bad way) after every sip.

Drinkable, but not a bock.

04-27-2006 03:17:37 | More by plaid75
carotman

Quebec (Canada)

2.63/5  rDev -6.4%

When I saw the "Super Bock" label, I thought I might get a good deal. They say it's a strong beer tough it's only 5.6% abv. The fact that the beer was made in Portugal made me feel uncomfortable. Would I get one of those tasteless beers? Well, it's a bock after all so I should be safe right? Turns out not.

The light brown bottle seems to have let in too much light. I got that skunky smell as soon as I opened the bottle. (both bottles I bought were like that). This should not happen with brown bottles.

The head retention is quite decent. There is a taste of hops and grain. I definetly got that metallic aftertaste some described. The fact that it was unfortunately skunked has definetly altered the taste.This is definetly NOT a bock tough the name says it is. This beer might not be too bad around the pool on hot summer days but it's a bit expensive since it's an imported beer.

This reminds me of a Corona in a brownish bottle.

03-04-2006 23:08:08 | More by carotman
beersarang

2.25/5  rDev -19.9%

Jeez! What "Bock" pours pee yellow?

So, I was surprised until I realized that it comes from portugal. Decent head retention over a pee yellow body. Big bubbles suggest forced carbonation.

Grassy unpleasant aroma.

Flavor offers a dab of grain followed by metallic grassy hops. Corn finish. Metallic.

Carbonation is too big and the body is too light...

This one went down the drain!

02-06-2006 07:01:24 | More by beersarang
Suds

I should have guessed from the name…this one’s a bust!
It’s a pale, clear, yellow color with an unimpressive head. The aroma is grainy, a bit of hops, and a fruity, estery quality. There’s a little sweetness up front, with a dry finish. Moderate carbonation, light body. Slightly better than a lawnmower beer.

01-24-2006 02:25:08 | More by Suds
DaPeculierDane

Wisconsin

3.1/5  rDev +10.3%

I have only one word to describe this beer. There is simply one word that will do. I tried to think of two words or maybe even three but I was trapped at one. That word, that one word that I shall use to describe this less than exciting offering from Portugal is not a long word, nor a short one. It’s a medium length word. It is…Budweiser.

01-09-2006 00:12:20 | More by DaPeculierDane
canadianbarman

2.45/5  rDev -12.8%

Standard 355ml brown bottle
--poured a clear, thin gold in color with a nice head that did not last. No lacing.
--a sleightly grainy malt smell.

This beer tasted kind of sour and was by no stretch even close to bieng super. Even calling it a bock was misleading in my opinion.

10-29-2005 20:16:51 | More by canadianbarman
WesWes

3.25/5  rDev +15.7%

The beer pours a pale gold color with a thick frothy white head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is average. It has a light pale malt scent along with a slight lager yeast fruitiness. It is dry and a bit musty. The taste is decent. It has a smooth pale malt flavor that goes down easy and finishes dry with some residual sweetness. It has a zing to it that I can only describe as Mexican lager taste. The mouthfeel is average. It is a low bodied beer with good carbonation. This is a good drinking lager, but nothing I would buy again.

10-11-2005 00:01:32 | More by WesWes
TerryW

Ontario (Canada)

2.63/5  rDev -6.4%

Clear yellow gold with a short-lived and short white head. No lace.

Nose is quite grainy. Taste is dominated by the same graininess with adose of malt and a distinctly lemony finish. Dry, lingering, bitter aftertaste.

Just another undistuinguished macro. Not offensive, but nothing to particularly recommend it.

08-21-2005 22:56:03 | More by TerryW
Sigmund

Norway

1.95/5  rDev -30.6%

330 ml bottle, now available in Norway (Vinmonopolet, bestillingsutvalget). Pale golden colour with fluffy white head that doesn’t last very long, some lacing. Grassy sweet aroma with notes of maize/corn and molasses, hints of vomit. Bland flavour, typical industrial adjunct lager, some maize sweetness, low bitterness. I think even Sagres tasted fresher than this one. Not a beer I’ll buy again. If I go to Portugal I’ll probably stick to vinho verde.

07-25-2005 20:53:18 | More by Sigmund
bigone4

3.13/5  rDev +11.4%

It is a rather light colored beer more of a yellowish brown tint. It has a good smell fresh and clean. Not a very over powering smell. There was a faint aroma of malt and mild hops, but nothing to distinct. It does pack a punch though. It is a pretty strong beer. Poured with a nice white head that sat in the glass for a while. Even lacing and a smooth taste. I was in a small village in Northern Portugal drinking in a little cafe. The owner had glasses (fino sp?) or a mug (ceneca sp?) We would get the mug most of the time. When it was time to head back to the US the cafe owner gave us each a mug. It was like 22 oz.or so.
In the heat of the summer that stuff makes you feel pretty good pretty fast. I stayed with my buddy at his Grandparent's house for three weeks. Man do those people know how to party. They have feasts that are like huge block parties with wine and beer flowing all night until dawn. Super Bock was pretty popular. Sagres and Cristal were a couple more types I had there. All in all Super Bock is a good all around beer and I enjoyed having it during my stay. I can get in in the US as well. In RI or MA and any place there is a large Portugese population. Cheers.

07-08-2005 19:29:45 | More by bigone4
tgbljb

3.33/5  rDev +18.5%

poured a medium amber color with white long-lasting head. Smell is sweet with slight malt undertones. Taste is a bit malty with a mild bitterness. Mouthfeel is refeshing. Nothing wrong with this beer. but nothing really impresses. Not what I was expecting from the name.

07-08-2005 00:57:52 | More by tgbljb
UncleJimbo

3.05/5  rDev +8.5%

12 oz brown longneck bottle, capped, BBE date.

This beer poured a clear, fizzy, yellow color with very white foam that settled and clung to the glass a little bit. The smell was a sweetish malty aroma with notes of corn. The taste was lightly sweet malt with corn and a very light hoppiness in the finish. There was also a touch of alcohol flavor in the finish. the mouthfeel was smooth and almost creamy with medium-light body and low carbonation. This was pretty easy to drink but there was not much there to get excited about.

06-25-2005 07:41:32 | More by UncleJimbo
IronDjinn

1.23/5  rDev -56.2%

This is a curiously misleading beer, as it doesn't seem anything like a bock, nor is it anywhere close to being super. That out of the way, it came in a light brown 355 ml bottle, part of a 6 pack, best before date listed on the side of the front label as 2005.10.

Pours out a very clear and pale straw colour, a small fizzle of head with little retention. Grainy malt on the nose surrounded by a plethora of adjuncts and preservatives, there is an industrial-like aroma around the cider and sour corn essence. The flavour is not that user friendly either, the two modes of operation in the taste of this beer are bitter and sour, with a husky grainy presence on the aftertaste. In fact I'm halfway down the glass, and not only do I think I've had enough of this stuff, but I'm beginning to feel I've had too much of it already. It's only getting worse it seems. The mouthfeel is light and watery and not too bad until the caustic overzealously carbonated finish. Or is that abrasive texture from the additives? I plan on avoiding this stuff in the future, and am not sure what to do with the rest of the bottles I bought. I'm super, thanks for asking--this beer however is not.

05-26-2005 00:32:03 | More by IronDjinn
3Vandoo

Quebec (Canada)

2.55/5  rDev -9.3%

Super? Where it is super?

A very pale beer, with a good carbonisation and alot of bubbles bubbling around my glass. The head appeared and say "hi" and left right away, quite shy to my taste, very very shy infact!

Smell, what smell do I get? a sweet sugar smell a light shy smell of malt nothing much I can smell.

Taste a bit sour, citrus, and watery, actually it reminds me of an alcohol citrus tea if that does exist.

I wasted 2bucks on that bottle!

04-28-2005 03:17:32 | More by 3Vandoo
Super Bock from UNICER União Cervejeira S.A.