Super Bock - UNICER União Cervejeira S.A.

Super BockSuper Bock

UNICER União Cervejeira S.A. visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  5.60% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-19-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Super Bock Alström Bros
2.68/5  rDev -3.9%

A portguese bock beer??? Let's see shall we.

Hmmm..looks like a macro-lager to me. A deeper amber than most, very clear with some nice lacing. .

smeels awfully macro-like as well. Grainy, slighty musty with some slight cooked veggie untertones.

Quite grainy initially, some hop bitterness. I also noted just a hint of citrus and prehaps a hint of fruitiness, another reviewer mentioned grape and I would concur.

mouthfeel was nice, decent in body, a good level of crispness. Finish was neither dry nor wet.

An average macro that's neither a bock nor super in my books

1.85/5  rDev -33.7%

appearance - Light straw color, nice head and lace on the glass.

smell - Bit skunked smell. Typical rice smell on a macro too.

taste - Nothing more of less then a typical macro beer, but with less flavor, and some bitterness.

mouthfeel - Light and carbonated.

drinkability - This is not bock, misleading. Should of been called Super Macro. Only reason I picked up a single of this is because it was from Portugal. I feel sorry for the people in Portugal drinking this beer right now. I only drank about 1/4 of it and dumped the rest. Not even a beer to me.Needs more work on.

1.96/5  rDev -29.7%

To begin with, it is not a bock, despite the misleading name. In truth it is an american macro lager.

Appearance: golden color. White head with moderate size and good retention. Very clear.
Taste: kind of bitter
Mouthfeel: drying sensation. Moderate carbonation, low-strength and light body.
Finish: bitter and persistent aftertaste.

Overall: fresh adjunct lager. The flavor is not very pleasant, and it gets worst because of the lingering aftertaste. There are betters beers in Portugal. I don't think I gonna give this one another chance.

2.46/5  rDev -11.8%

This beer poured out clear, yellow, and well carbonated with a one finger, noisy, fast and fizzy head which quickly subsided to a sparse thin layer of foam on the top.

The aroma was kinda nasty... skunky hops and grains. Not inspiring. However, I have a theory about beer tasting. One must get experience across the board... the good as well as the bad... to be an effective judge of beer quality.

Taste was grainy. It was a little bitter, and a bit sweet and bready. There was only a trace of skunkiness in the taste... but it showed up again in the aftertaste. This beer made me burp a lot.

Mouthfeel was about average for a macro lager. Not watery, and not thin, but not heavy either.

Drinkability was not great. I knew what to expect going into it, but still, I would not get this one again. Mainly I got it because I had not had a beer form Portugal before.

Nothing special, it wa snot that Bock, but it was interesting to have it. TH efoam was just tehre and the colour was not that dark. YOu know, there are different kinds of Bocks, and this one was of the semi Golden ones. NOt too alchololic though. Does not ive you a bad aftertaste and it is drinkable.

3.25/5  rDev +16.5%

Obviously not a bock if you read the label

A - 330ml bottle poured into a standard 1/2 pint glass. Dull, apple juice amber in colour, very little head or brussels lacing. A bit listless in carbonation. Not very appealing looking

S- Can pick up a lot of sweet malt notes, not much hop here though. But at least there is somethin to smell compared to other macros

T - Reminds me of a bad homebrew all malt american lager. Lots of malty sweetness finishing in a slightly sticky crisp quiet hoppy finish. Doesnt vanish altogether tho, it has a little character.

M- Clean, sweet, low to medium carbonation, goes down easy enough, standard lager.

D - This is not as bad as bud, miller or corona which all look like anaemic. This has some nice qualities, and i would choose this over a lot of other macros - as macros go, its slightly above average, drinkable but still forgettable.

2.57/5  rDev -7.9%

Eh... This doesn't look like any bock I've ever seen.

A - Clear straw, but with an impressive head - sticky and foamy. Clingy.

S - Chestnuts and veggies.

T - Oo. Macro all the way. Quite sweet. Mild, flavourless bitterness, and an astringent aftertaste.

M - Light. Fizzy. As expected.

D - Poor to ... well poor. No really, it's not bad for a macro, but nothing special. I gotta say though that it's the best LOOKING macro I've had. Lots of clingy lace and a shade darker than the usual suspects. This ain't no bock though.

2.77/5  rDev -0.7%

Poured a very pale straw hue, with a foamy one finger head. There was little retention and lacing.

The smell was very subdued. Yeasty and grainy aromas were detectable though. Corn elements as well.

The taste is a bit grainy but had a decent hop presence. The beer finished extremely dry, which improved the flavor for me.

The mouthfeel was a bit thin. The very dry finish left me nearly salivating (in a bad way) after every sip.

Drinkable, but not a bock.

2.58/5  rDev -7.5%

When I saw the "Super Bock" label, I thought I might get a good deal. They say it's a strong beer tough it's only 5.6% abv. The fact that the beer was made in Portugal made me feel uncomfortable. Would I get one of those tasteless beers? Well, it's a bock after all so I should be safe right? Turns out not.

The light brown bottle seems to have let in too much light. I got that skunky smell as soon as I opened the bottle. (both bottles I bought were like that). This should not happen with brown bottles.

The head retention is quite decent. There is a taste of hops and grain. I definetly got that metallic aftertaste some described. The fact that it was unfortunately skunked has definetly altered the taste.This is definetly NOT a bock tough the name says it is. This beer might not be too bad around the pool on hot summer days but it's a bit expensive since it's an imported beer.

This reminds me of a Corona in a brownish bottle.

2.28/5  rDev -18.3%

Jeez! What "Bock" pours pee yellow?

So, I was surprised until I realized that it comes from portugal. Decent head retention over a pee yellow body. Big bubbles suggest forced carbonation.

Grassy unpleasant aroma.

Flavor offers a dab of grain followed by metallic grassy hops. Corn finish. Metallic.

Carbonation is too big and the body is too light...

This one went down the drain!

I should have guessed from the name…this one’s a bust!
It’s a pale, clear, yellow color with an unimpressive head. The aroma is grainy, a bit of hops, and a fruity, estery quality. There’s a little sweetness up front, with a dry finish. Moderate carbonation, light body. Slightly better than a lawnmower beer.

3.1/5  rDev +11.1%

I have only one word to describe this beer. There is simply one word that will do. I tried to think of two words or maybe even three but I was trapped at one. That word, that one word that I shall use to describe this less than exciting offering from Portugal is not a long word, nor a short one. It’s a medium length word. It is…Budweiser.

2.45/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Standard 355ml brown bottle
--poured a clear, thin gold in color with a nice head that did not last. No lacing.
--a sleightly grainy malt smell.

This beer tasted kind of sour and was by no stretch even close to bieng super. Even calling it a bock was misleading in my opinion.

3.23/5  rDev +15.8%

The beer pours a pale gold color with a thick frothy white head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is average. It has a light pale malt scent along with a slight lager yeast fruitiness. It is dry and a bit musty. The taste is decent. It has a smooth pale malt flavor that goes down easy and finishes dry with some residual sweetness. It has a zing to it that I can only describe as Mexican lager taste. The mouthfeel is average. It is a low bodied beer with good carbonation. This is a good drinking lager, but nothing I would buy again.

2.65/5  rDev -5%

Clear yellow gold with a short-lived and short white head. No lace.

Nose is quite grainy. Taste is dominated by the same graininess with adose of malt and a distinctly lemony finish. Dry, lingering, bitter aftertaste.

Just another undistuinguished macro. Not offensive, but nothing to particularly recommend it.

1.95/5  rDev -30.1%

330 ml bottle, now available in Norway (Vinmonopolet, bestillingsutvalget). Pale golden colour with fluffy white head that doesn’t last very long, some lacing. Grassy sweet aroma with notes of maize/corn and molasses, hints of vomit. Bland flavour, typical industrial adjunct lager, some maize sweetness, low bitterness. I think even Sagres tasted fresher than this one. Not a beer I’ll buy again. If I go to Portugal I’ll probably stick to vinho verde.

3.13/5  rDev +12.2%

It is a rather light colored beer more of a yellowish brown tint. It has a good smell fresh and clean. Not a very over powering smell. There was a faint aroma of malt and mild hops, but nothing to distinct. It does pack a punch though. It is a pretty strong beer. Poured with a nice white head that sat in the glass for a while. Even lacing and a smooth taste. I was in a small village in Northern Portugal drinking in a little cafe. The owner had glasses (fino sp?) or a mug (ceneca sp?) We would get the mug most of the time. When it was time to head back to the US the cafe owner gave us each a mug. It was like 22 oz.or so.
In the heat of the summer that stuff makes you feel pretty good pretty fast. I stayed with my buddy at his Grandparent's house for three weeks. Man do those people know how to party. They have feasts that are like huge block parties with wine and beer flowing all night until dawn. Super Bock was pretty popular. Sagres and Cristal were a couple more types I had there. All in all Super Bock is a good all around beer and I enjoyed having it during my stay. I can get in in the US as well. In RI or MA and any place there is a large Portugese population. Cheers.

3.3/5  rDev +18.3%

poured a medium amber color with white long-lasting head. Smell is sweet with slight malt undertones. Taste is a bit malty with a mild bitterness. Mouthfeel is refeshing. Nothing wrong with this beer. but nothing really impresses. Not what I was expecting from the name.

3.05/5  rDev +9.3%

12 oz brown longneck bottle, capped, BBE date.

This beer poured a clear, fizzy, yellow color with very white foam that settled and clung to the glass a little bit. The smell was a sweetish malty aroma with notes of corn. The taste was lightly sweet malt with corn and a very light hoppiness in the finish. There was also a touch of alcohol flavor in the finish. the mouthfeel was smooth and almost creamy with medium-light body and low carbonation. This was pretty easy to drink but there was not much there to get excited about.

1.25/5  rDev -55.2%

This is a curiously misleading beer, as it doesn't seem anything like a bock, nor is it anywhere close to being super. That out of the way, it came in a light brown 355 ml bottle, part of a 6 pack, best before date listed on the side of the front label as 2005.10.

Pours out a very clear and pale straw colour, a small fizzle of head with little retention. Grainy malt on the nose surrounded by a plethora of adjuncts and preservatives, there is an industrial-like aroma around the cider and sour corn essence. The flavour is not that user friendly either, the two modes of operation in the taste of this beer are bitter and sour, with a husky grainy presence on the aftertaste. In fact I'm halfway down the glass, and not only do I think I've had enough of this stuff, but I'm beginning to feel I've had too much of it already. It's only getting worse it seems. The mouthfeel is light and watery and not too bad until the caustic overzealously carbonated finish. Or is that abrasive texture from the additives? I plan on avoiding this stuff in the future, and am not sure what to do with the rest of the bottles I bought. I'm super, thanks for asking--this beer however is not.

2.53/5  rDev -9.3%

Super? Where it is super?

A very pale beer, with a good carbonisation and alot of bubbles bubbling around my glass. The head appeared and say "hi" and left right away, quite shy to my taste, very very shy infact!

Smell, what smell do I get? a sweet sugar smell a light shy smell of malt nothing much I can smell.

Taste a bit sour, citrus, and watery, actually it reminds me of an alcohol citrus tea if that does exist.

I wasted 2bucks on that bottle!

2.73/5  rDev -2.2%

Ummm, no. The name is a bit misleading. I was expecting a great import from the great country of Port Wine and exquisite food. All I got was some watery beer that tasted more like a watery malt liquor than anything. I hope to God that they have more than this over there, if not, they are totally screwed. Very average lager, if not a little bit below average even. One good thing was that it was quite crisp and refreshing. Still though, nothing that I would sit back and drink more than one of. Guess I can chalk this one down as a venture in beer from Portugal.

1.36/5  rDev -51.3%

Bottle: Poured a yellow color lager with medium head and no retention. Aroma is crisp but with some easily detectable skunk aspect to it. Taste is your average macro lager plus the skunk feels that is probably due to transport or storage. I guess this is just another crap lager… more super crap then super bock!

1.86/5  rDev -33.3%

Perfectly clear, pale straw yellow colour. Thin, bright white head thinned to nearly nothing in less than a minute, although there were signs that it wanted to stick to the sides of the glass before it subsided. Aroma consisted of corn (DMS) sweetness, light grainy malt, and a very light mix of lemon and saaz hops.

The flavour was not quite as enjoyable. Very sharp, harsh hop bitterness to start and finishes on the sour side. Hop bitterness lingered on the palate long after the finish, and not in a good way. Sweetness was evident, as was a light grape character. Alcohol was also definitely present in the taste. The body was on the thin side without being watery. Moderate carbonation aided the texture, but there was still a strong grainy astringency present.

Overall, this is a poor beer for the style. No real balance (at least to my palate) and harsh, but not flavourful, hops detracted from the enjoyment. And putting the word "Bock" in the name is just plain silly. Poured from a 355 mL brown bottle with best before date clearly printed on the front label.

3.37/5  rDev +20.8%

The off white foam is foam at first high, but it dissolves slowly into a light two finger thick head. The liquid is clear and pale yellow.

The smell is pretty strong, sweet and dominated by a dry flavour of dough and white bread.

The carbonation is nice and strong with big bubbles.

The taste is sweet and very malty with notes of white bread, dextrose and some lactose. The flavour is on the whole quite simple (but not bad) with some bitterness and alcohol. The aftertaste is soft and balanced with notes of sweet malt, although it is quite short.

An well done adjunct lager (sugar is added!); this might be a good thirst-quencher for hot summer nights.

Super Bock from UNICER União Cervejeira S.A.