Seven Swabians Eisbock - Baron Brewing

No picture uploaded.

Baron Brewing visit their website
Washington, United States

Eisbock |  13.00% ABV

(Beer added by: mnapier on 05-08-2008)
View: Beers (24) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
Reviews by russpowell:
russpowell

Oklahoma

2.93/5  rDev -3.9%

Cheers to RoryGilmore for this one! This was a trade get for me, thank God he hooked , me up on bonus beer!!

Pours a hazed apricot to my Stuttgarter .5 liter mug; with 2 fingers of cream colored head, minimal head retention & lacing

S: Cereal, honey & rough grain

T: Cereal, honey & booze, more Maibock, then eisbock! Stayed rough, boozey & reminded me of damp corn flakes in the finish

MF: Rough, boozey witm minimal carbonation & pretty dissapointing

Drinks alright, not worth seeking out. Could be so much better! Glad this wasn't the only beer in the trade!

06-07-2008 06:17:47 | More by russpowell
1000Bottles

Oregon

2.45/5  rDev -19.7%

Amber hue with a thin ivory head. Light fruity (apricots and peaches) aroma. Flavor is decidedly not malty. A bit grainy, kind of flat on the flavor - not a bock-type flavor to me. Wow, couldn't finish this one. Really not worthy. I have had some other really great beers from Baron Brewing but this just totally missed the mark for me.

03-29-2009 04:21:38 | More by 1000Bottles
SirSketch

3.78/5  rDev +23.9%

Up until this beer I had really never tried a beer of this style, so I had no expectations going in, but I have to say I was somewhat surprised at how much I like it.

A - Almost no head whatsoever, besides a small white ring. The beer is the orange-yellow, hazy color of a sunset.

S - Very sour and sweet smell, almost like the Sweetarts candy. Has a lot of acidic and vinous characteristics, but some malts come through underneath as well.

T - Very nice balance between the sweet and tart flavors and the malt. I also got some mandarin orange, grape, and biscuit in the taste as well.

M/D - This beer leaves your lips dry, but it's not a puckering sort of tart. I found myself wanting to keep tasting more and more.

01-14-2009 22:12:30 | More by SirSketch
cswhitehorse

Oregon

2.58/5  rDev -15.4%

The seven swabians was an intriguing purchase and didn't know what i would get from this one. It was a dark and hazy with very little foam head from the pour, not much in the way of lacing. I would guess that would be from freezing off the top portion.

The aroma was odd. I got a dirty sock smell similar to maybe some Belgian funk? The taste was sweet and syrupy. It was malty and yeasty. In the mouth it was semi-bitter. Overall I didn't enjoy this one and was glad when it was finished.

10-23-2008 04:44:34 | More by cswhitehorse
ohmybock

Georgia

2.55/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

My first Baron brew. I wasn't expecting a whole lot from this one, even though I enjoy eisbocks and other high-gravity bocks. I guess that was good since this isn't a stellar example. A friend sent me this one...thanks M! Unfortunately, I think it cost him something like $13 for the 22oz bomber.

When opening, there was a nice release of CO2. However, once poured, there was very little carbonation. It pours a slightly hazy, dark gold, color with very little head. It seems to be an eisbock version of a helles bock. The nose does remind me of some helles bocks I've had and maybe even a hint of Penn's Penndemonium (a much better strong helles bock). However, there's something else in the nose too. It reminds me a little of mead and is a touch tart. There's some cereal too. The flavor backs up the nose. Surprisingly, it's not near as heavy as I thought it would be for a 13% brew. For instance, it's not as malty as EKU 28 and doesn't have the strong, unfermented, malt flavor of Vetter 33. It's also not in the same class as Kulmbacher's or Eggenberg's eisbocks. I guess it's closer in style to Eggenberg's Samichlaus Helles and Urbock 23, but those Austrian brews are far superior. The alcohol is well-hidden in the Baron eisbock for such a strong brew. (I don't suppose they used some honey in there?) The malt (mild grainy?) and lightly tart flavor in the Baron brew hits the tongue fairly strong, drops dramatically, but then lingers. Cereal seems to dominate in the finish, but that's not such a good thing. As it warms, I get more and more pronounced cereal. The body isn't too heavy even though there is very little carbonation. I would be curious to see what more carbonation would be like in this brew. This eisbock is different from any other extra-strong bock I've encountered. I'm glad I got a chance to try this one, but I can't really recommend this 2008 version...especially for the price. Still, I'm glad Baron brewed this eisbock! I hope they continue to make eisbocks (a dunkel version would be welcome) and refine the brewing process of this style in the coming years.

07-12-2008 18:23:25 | More by ohmybock
mnapier

Washington

4.03/5  rDev +32.1%

Judging Temperature, 50 degrees Farenheit. Glassware, 12oz Gobblet.

Appearance, fits the bill in the form of deep copper and dense with an immediate foam that quickly dies leaving little or no lace behind.
The nose is interesting in that it produces some plum and caramel notes, maybe a slight smoke, some alcohol.
Taking a sip there is noticeable alcohol, along with some slight smoke and plums, along with some caramel.
Mouthfeel is as expected in the form of strong but without any stickiness.

This Kulmbach will sneak up on ya and knock you out.

Cheers

05-08-2008 02:28:23 | More by mnapier
Seven Swabians Eisbock from Baron Brewing
- out of 100 based on 6 ratings.