Bavarian Weizen - Baron Brewing

No picture uploaded.

Baron Brewing visit their website
Washington, United States

Hefeweizen |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: Todd on 07-06-2004)
Reviews by zacharius:
3.93/5  rDev +10.1%

This beer pours a cloudy golden orange with a huge foamy head. The aroma of this beer was all yeast mostly bananna with a hint of medicinal smell. Taste was mostly yeast, with bananna being the strongest flavor but hints of clove were present as well. Mouthfeel was good, this beer was creamy and well carbonated. Excellent session beer, enough going on to keep you intrested..

zacharius, Jun 07, 2005
4.5/5  rDev +26.1%

Appearance – This one is a cloudy orange in color with a huge, monster, Hefe head that just would not go away.

Smell – The yeast here is huge and pure German Hefe. There is a monster banana scent as well that just attacks the olfactory bulb. The few other smells are typical of the style, but it’s the big wheat and banana that demand attention here.

Taste – This is one of the few American-made Hefe Weizens where the nose makes it to the tongue. A lot of them smell like the real deal, but few of them taste like it. This one delivers in spades.

The wheat is pure German and oh so precious. The banana is huge and brings along some light orange and clove notes. Together this all makes for an excellent flavor profile.

Mouthfeel – This Hefe is light to medium-bodied and very fluffy in between the cheeks, just like the style demands. It is teasingly tingly and very pleasant to hold in the mouth.

Drinkability – This Weizen is creamy and is so comfortable to drink you almost forget that you’re drinking it. This is how a Hefe Weizen should taste.

Comments – I stopped by this brewery with skyhand and the owner was nice enough to give us a taste of his private stash. What a treat that was.

RoyalT, Dec 30, 2004
3.98/5  rDev +11.5%

A friend of mine had been trying to get me to try this for over a year after having just moved back to the states from Munich, the home of Schneider, Erdinger, Wiehenstephaner, etc. Having had the experience that Americans by and large can't tell you what a Weisbier is, let alone brew one, I was skeptical and trying it had to wait until he was the one providing the keg at a house warming. In short, this is an awesome Weiss, rivaling the Muenchners. Strong points - citrusy, floral aroma without the banana smell that many Weisse have, but yet still a full-bodied, ever so slightly hoppy taste, not at all watery. Weak on the large head, even when using the proper glassware and not as crisp and bubbly as I would like.

nkurz129, Aug 23, 2006
3.18/5  rDev -10.9%

So, I'm a hefe lover. Until I went to Germany, I was pretty damn convinced I was not a beer drinker. I'd tried, but had precisely zero beers that appealed to me. I got on the plane with every notion of not having any beer while I was there. So I landed in the Fatherland, hopped the train from Frankfurt to Ansbach, and met my sister-in-law for dinner. We went out with a couple of friends of hers to a gasthof, where they insisted I have a hefeweizen. I agreed, with the caveat that I probably wouldn't like it. I was wrong. I fell in love immediately, and my entire budget for that trip was blown.

Ever since I came back from that trip going on, what, fifteen years now, I've been searching for the perfect American hefe that I could drink here. I was excited to hear such rave reviews for the Baron hefe, thinking "Great, there's a place here in Seattle that will deliver the goods for me." Unfortunately, that isn't the case. I found it on tap today at the 74th Street Ale House, and was horribly disappointed.

Appearance: Lovely cloudy gold, with a relative minimum amount of bubble action going on. Oddly, though, there is absolutely no head. None. I'm totally thrown by this, as it gives it the appearance of a freakin' Pyramid.

Smell: I expectantly put my nose to the glass, ready for a snootfull of bananas, cloves and nuttiness. It's there, but you really have to look for it. Not the nose I expected at all, and very disappointing.

Taste: I'm still hopeful that this beer is going to deliver the goods, but the taste is as weak as the nose. Just a hint of the yeasty spiciness I expect from a hefe. Truth be known, it tastes a lot like the Bayern I just reviewed. Like the yeast had been dumbed down for American audiences. I'm not happy.

Mouthfeel: This is the best part of the beer, one that nails the style fairly well. The only drawback is the relative lack of carbonation. I'd like a lot more head and bubbles in this thing.

Drinkability: I can't give it more than a 3.5. I'm hoping against hope that this was a bad keg, and I will definitely give it a shot again. But I had my one glass, and then moved onto the Alpine Oktoberfest, which I enjoyed quite a bit more. So far the hands down winner of the Great American Hefeweizen Brew-Off is Cape Cod's.

Knuckles, Oct 16, 2005
3.03/5  rDev -15.1%

I had this hefe as a last salute to the summer which kept going throughout Sept. in the PNW. I wish I had chosen a better Beer. The weak point of this beer is that lack of what makes this style great, banana and cloves with a fresh bubblegum finish. This beer tasted and smelled more like Widmer than Paulaner. Too bad as I had hoped for more from a German specialist like Baron.

canucklehead, Oct 06, 2006
2.78/5  rDev -22.1%

I had Baron Bavarian Weizen at the Flying Pig in Everett, served in a pint glass.

Pours a pale yellow color and is hazy, with a thin fizzy head.

Smell is fruity, pineapple maybe, with a bit of a cologne smell.

Taste is curious and a bit odd. There are oft fruit flavors, a citrus taste, and a hint of melted butter, like the butter on movie popcorn.

Mouthfeel is wet and light.

A drinkable brew, but with an odd taste. It might be better in appropriate glassware, but I'll probably pass on this one in the future.

RJLarse, Nov 11, 2007
Bavarian Weizen from Baron Brewing
- out of 100 based on 6 ratings.