Ochakovskiy Kvass - Ochakovo

Russian Federation

Kvass |  2.00% ABV

Beer added by: Gueuzedude on 06-07-2008

3.45/5  rDev +21.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Can from Russian Gourmet in Alexandria, VA.

Brown cola body with a quarter inch of fizzy, beige head. Aromas of prune, fig, maraschino cherries. Cola, malty, slightly sweet, dark fruits. Light in body. A solid kvass. (217 characters)

2.11/5  rDev -26%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

From the can. Yeah, this'll put hair on your chest. Foul as it is, I did kind of like the aroma on it. Really did smell like Russian black bread, or some kind of rye or sourdough. Don't really want to drink that though... (221 characters)

3.31/5  rDev +16.1%

Очаковский is what appears on the label, in case you're baffled by the all-Russian can label as I was. From the 16 0z can purchased at Europa Express 2 in San Francisco, which has other baffling beers.

For all I know this may be a fabulous Kvass. But to me it tastes like beef bouillon with a dose of root beer. Interesting woody, leaf mold smell with a whiff of mouse pee. Soy sauce with a Kool-Aid undertone? Bottoms up! (433 characters)

3.46/5  rDev +21.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

(purchased at Bell's Market, NE Philly - poured into a Sam Smith's pint)

A: dark brownish ruby in color, nice clarity... tall, sudsy foam on the pour, the texture of which reminds me of a German doppelbock or wheat beer; takes a couple minutes to fall... no lacing, though it keeps a fairly thick collar

S: blackstrap molasses, pumpernickel crust, rye flour

T: whoa! wasn't quite prepared for the taste - it's like molasses, (flat) root beer, Jewish rye bread crust... somewhat bitter in the finish, lingering, the quality of which reminds me of burnt sugar and some sort of herbal, medicinal tincture... I would call it sweet, vaguely candy-like... bit of a fermenting dough aftertaste and what seems to be (but likely isn't) chocolate malt

M: kind of fullish and velvety smooth; does have some luscious body to it... hardly any carbonation to dazzle the palate... not nearly as sticky on the palate as I expected

O: first exposure to a commercial 'kvass'...

I'm sure, with time, I could become addicted to this stuff... a lot of its flavors are right up my alley - but I hardly ever drink soft drinks, and this tastes a bit like one... I've brewed about a half-dozen small batches of kvass at home, using traditional recipes and mine are more tart, funky, lemony, and a good bit less dark and sweet

this has the look and the body of a beer - I don't think there's any question about it... it just carries the sweetness of a soft drink but, apparently, not nearly as much sugar as a Coke; can't figure that out... luckily, I grabbed another can of a different brand, so we'll see how that measures up (1,608 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +49.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Plastic 2 liter bottle, no clue what to expect

A-dark brown with a light tan head, fades.

S-smells like beer wort. Strong scent. I actually like it a lot. Very peppery. Grainy. Caramels.

T-comes in with a very light but prominent taste of caramel malts and sweet grains. Has a really good after-taste of dark grains and cereal. The flavors are actually fairly bold. Somewhat syrupy as well.

M-almost watery but very crisp and smooth

O-tastes like a beer flavored soda, or soda flavored beer....I can't decide. It's surprisingly good and very drinkable! I enjoy the format as well, big plastic bottle...it's fitting. (621 characters)

2.74/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 2 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Tasted On: 06-04-2013
Freshness: Best by 11-19-2013
Packaging: 0.5L tall can
Glassware: Mug
Purchased: Single from Aleksey's Market, Nashville

Pours as a reddish-black beer, with almost no head. Head retention and lacing are just not there at all. Looks like a flat cola.

Aromas have molasses and sweet syrup, with some tobacco and vegetable notes.

The taste seems to match the smells, with sweet molasses and caramels, plus some vegetable flavors. Tastes much like a cola.

Body is light, with very low carbonation. Aftertaste is again very cola-like.

Overall the flavors were all right, but it suffered from such low carbonation. (635 characters)

2.04/5  rDev -28.4%

Picked up a can of this from a local Russian Deli. Poured into a pint glass and was quickly hit by the sweet molasses aroma. Was like sticking my nose in a jar of molasses. Being a dark beer guy, I liked how it look, until the nice tan head faded (about 30 seconds). Beer had a dark hazy brown look and a strong sweet aroma. Taste was like prunes and molasses, very sweet, hell, this is prune juice. Mouthfeel is light and flat with a sour aftertaste. Never had anything like this before. (488 characters)

2.7/5  rDev -5.3%

Haven't reviewed for a while, but I'm not sure when I'll next get some Kvass in my apartment. A gift from a Russian coworker after he tasted my last sour homebrew and it reminded him of Kvass.

This stuff is dark, with not much of a head. Looks thick... like molasses. Actually decently interesting.

The nose is... offputting. Stale rye? Something left out for too long? Hrm... hopefully this tastes better.

The taste is like liquid bread, mixed with molasses and slightly soured. Very interesting, but not distinctly good.

I'm glad I've tried this, but I'm not sure what to do with it. Maybe I'd like a strong Kvass that's more sour. Maybe I just need to find a better Kvass. (679 characters)

2.56/5  rDev -10.2%

Thanks for sending me this style tick FosterJM!

22oz can poured into a straight sided pint. There are two dates on the bottom (9/26/11 and 6/26/12) but not sure what they mean.

A: Tan half-finger head with little retention. Looks pretty slick and syrupy. Body is brown like a cola.

S: Very sweet smelling. Heavy raisin, light molasses, honey and brown sugar.

T: Sweet, but not nearly as thick and cloying as the nose led me to believe. Reminds me of a watered down cola. I suspect that I’m primarily tasting birch syrup but I’m not very familiar with it so I can’t say for sure.

M: Surprisingly thin and watery. Only slightly fizzy like a soda that's been sitting out for several hours. A bit dry on the finish.

O: Not anything traditionally beer like but I’m glad I got to try it. I’ll pick up a birch beer sometime to see how it compares. (857 characters)

2.71/5  rDev -4.9%

1246th Review on BA
Can to Footed Amber
500ml

Purchased a single can from Moscow Deli, Costa Mesa, CA for $2.35

App- Really looks like a soda to me. Has a deep garnet and light brown color. Huge 3 finger light khaki head with a few dotty lines of cling.

Smell- Super sweet and sugary. Has a ton of deep and dark fruits but not like a dubbel. More like liquid candy.

Taste- Someone else said it and I will concur. Liquid raisins. Just an odd mix of liquid candy raisin sweet with a damp old Rye flavor. I cant really place the flavors I am missing but just making me keep drinking this.

Mouth- A light semi flat body with a low semi sweet residual flavor. Flat carbonation and a bit still.

Drink- Well the hardest two styles are ticked. This is just odd to me. Raisins, sugar, bread. Its kinda bad but I keep drinking it! (826 characters)

2.93/5  rDev +2.8%

Poured from the can into a nonic pint glass. Much thanks to Woodychandler.

A simple dark brown walnut body, lots of microscopic pin head sized cola bubbles EVERYWHERE on the glass. A very uniform looking head off the pour, tan light honey color much like other Kvass.

Nose is very small and muted. Typical raisin, simple hiding grain, not as sweet smelling, hard to pick out senses.

Taste is kind of odd but with sweet finish, sugars, a little bit of molasses and bread action on this, but real tiny. Mouthfeel is somewhere between light flattened cola but no syrupy qualities. It's also kind of buttery tasting as well.

Overall not bad, but not really interesting or exciting, but it is drinkable. (702 characters)

3.48/5  rDev +22.1%

Received in a trade with WoodyChandler and shared with bpk59.

A - Pours a dark garnet hue that appears to be clear with a fizzy mocha head that leaves a nice cloud and lacing.

S - Smell is of sweet raisin bread, molasses, malts, candi sugar, and more dark fruits.

T - Taste is similar to the nose, lots of molasses and raidin bread and flat cola. Much more molasses than other kvasses I've tried. Dark fruits like dates and figs.

M - Mouthfeel is thin, which helps kill the sticky sweetness.

O - Overall this is much different and better than the others. Tastes almost like raisin water. I still cant consume a whole can of this, but its not bad. (651 characters)

2.79/5  rDev -2.1%

A: The pour is a dark mahogany sort of color with just a thing layer, quickly dissipating off-white head.

S: Smells strongly of prunes and toasted bread. There is a little bit of plum as well as some table sugar. Also, a very pronounced aroma of soy sauce.

T: As with the aroma, heavy on the prunes and sugar. It's sort of watery but it does have some cola and dark fruit flavors as well as the more typical bread.

M: Light in body with quite low carbonation.

O: The aroma was just unpleasant. Flavor wasn't too bad, though. (529 characters)

2.76/5  rDev -3.2%

A: The beer is clear dark reddish brown in color and has a light amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a finger high tan head that never completely faded away.
S: There are very sweet aromas of malt extract in the nose with notes of caramel, prunes and rye bread.
T: The overall taste is very sweet and tastes more like a mixture of beer, bread and soda with some notes of molasses. The sweetness is rather cloying.
M: It feels light bodied and somewhat thin and watery on the palate with a light to moderate amount of carbonation.
O: With all of the sweetness, drinking this beer definitely takes some getting used to, although it does taste a little better as the beer warms up. (688 characters)

3.43/5  rDev +20.4%

Holy shit! Finally! Much thanks goes to woodychandler for an unsolicited box of kvass that wound up here today. Without a doubt the style that I almost had give up on trying. Regardless, this is the first kvass I've ever had, not to mention that I have ever seen.
Anyway 16oz bright yellow tallboy into an Odell 90 Shilling imperial pint. Two dates on the bottom: 23/12/10 and 23/09/11C2

A: Pours a deep chocolate brown with a small, tan quick to fade head that disappears almost instantly. Nice clarity. Tons of red highlights when held up. No lacing to speak of. A small island of bubbles remains in the middle.

S: Rye bread, no other way to describe it a fresh loaf of baked rye bread. If anyone wants a descriptor of what 'dark breads' smell like, this beer is it. I get a few notes of chocolate cake and caramel as well. Raisins, without a doubt raisins as well.

T: Tons of raisins, can't really think of anything of anything else, just tastes like liquid raisins. Has a decent amount of malt in there a bit of caramel, and a touch of chocolate. Slightly tart as well, not a huge pucker factor but just a hint of a tart flavor. Tons of dark rye bread. Has a lot of soda like characters, here, maybe a touch on the grape soda side which somewhat detracts from the beer. Some honey, and corn syrup as well.

M: Quite a bit of body for a 2% beer, medium carbonation, and fairly sticky on the finish.

O: For what it is, this is pretty damn tasty, and incredibly drinkable. I definitely see this as a nice drink in the summer when nothing else sounds good. It definitely is soda like, and is really sweet, but I kinda like it. Why aren't there Eastern European Markets in Vernal, UT!?!?! (1,696 characters)

1.88/5  rDev -34%

HUGE thanks to woodychandler for the surprise CANned Kvass box!

A - Pours a dark mahogany color with a light brown head. Looks very bubbly.

S - Aroma is smoky and meaty, with notes of soy sauce and worcestershire sauce. Some caramel and maltiness is faint.

T - Hints of smoke and soy sauce, huge fruitiness...it's...yea, it's cloying. Wow. What bazaar flavors that don't mesh well. Aftertaste is not too appealing.

M - It's slick, and so much lighter than it looks...though, with the low alcohol, maybe not too surprising. Also, looks bubbly, but carbonation is low.

D/O It'd take many of these to catch a buzz, but I could not do it. Drinkability suffers, and overall, not very appealing.

I'm really glad I got to try this... but bot is it a daunting beer style to drink... (786 characters)

2.95/5  rDev +3.5%

Many thanks to the Kvass-Master WoodyChandler for providing me with three examples of this style. This first one was the most "robust" alcohol-wise at 02%. Pours an opaque brown color with a lot of ruby highlights when held to the light. Bubby, fizzy off white head that fades fast. No lacing. Smell is malty with some raisins/prunes thrown in.

Tastes like a Dr. Pepper mixed with a malt beverage. Not that bad but not a great beer flavor either. Mouthfeel is a bit thin and the initial carbonation dies down quickly to a flat soda type feel.

Overall a pretty average thirst quencher. Glad I could try the style and would not have any great exception to drinking another one....just wouldn't seek it out. (707 characters)

1.83/5  rDev -35.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Finally got around to cracking this..beer

A: Pours brown, looks like cola with bubbles up the entire side of the glass. No head or lacing whatsoever.

S: Really hard to place the aroma, somewhat sweet. Some caramel, nuts, and molasses maybe. It is quite strong though.

T: Kind of like tea, a little bit of honey and some darker fruit. It almost reminds me of what beer tastes like before you add the yeast.

M: Very thin with no carbonation, despite the bubbles. Drinks very much like a soda.

O: Very different, but not something I ever want to drink again. (563 characters)

3.03/5  rDev +6.3%

Acquired via trade from woodychandler so a big “Thank You” goes out to him. Poured from a 500ml can into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a medium brown color, with a thin off-white head that fades quickly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains raisins, honey, spices, wheat and light caramelized malts.

T: The taste starts out very sweet with flavors of dark fruit and honey. Then breadiness comes in from a hearty but not too heavy malt character, wheat, grain and rye. The after-taste is likewise quite sweet.

M: Smooth but syrupy, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is sticky.

D: Tasty, goes down easily, not too filling, very mild kick, good representation of style, although the sweetness is a bit much this beer is decent low ABV alternative. (790 characters)

2.06/5  rDev -27.7%

16oz can into SN tulip pint glass. A very grateful thanks to woodychandler for sending me this can while asking nothing in return. I owe you one, sir.

A: Pours a syrupy raisin brown with a thin, short lived fizzy head that disappeared into a thin collar.
S: Interesting nose on this one. I get strong notes of honey and syrupy sticky malt extract. There are also notes of tree sap, maple or birch syrups, black tea, dark breads and overly fermented fruits including raisins.
T: Pretty much tastes like it smells, especially the raisin part. Flavors are sickly sweet yet watery and have an overall syrupy extract quality. This tastes more like bad fruit soda than beer.
M: Medium body with a sticky slick aftertaste. Mouthfeel is rather thin however. Carbonation is low but adds some texture.
O: Not something I would want to drink again. I guess if it’s all you got I could see pounding a few of these if they were ice cold. I’m glad I got to try a kvass though as I continue my quest to broaden my palate. Thanks again woodychandler for sending one of these my way. Cheers! (1,082 characters)

3.41/5  rDev +19.6%

Vibrant golden 0,5Л CAN, sent by the Boss of the банок, Mr. woodychandler. Poured to a sturdy pint (as with my previous Kvass, the 'Standard Tap' one...).

The label is mostly in Russian (where it's labeled 'очаковский квас'), but the back does have the 'Kvass Ochakovskiy' moniker with the curiously amusing tagline: 'True kvass made of true ingredients!'. Yay for integrity!

Bottom of the can is dated: '23/12/10' and '23/09/11'; I have to assume that's a 9-month 'best by' window between a December brew date and a September 'expiration'.

A: Deep garnet-brown, the color of weak coffee; more ruby as it's held to light. A minimal fizzy beige skimcoat as poured, hardly lasting more than a few seconds; trace remains of head as a slim ring and a patchy inkblot. In the stronger lighter, this shows clearer at the edges, with more haziness at the core; hardly any carbonation.

S: Lots of sugary sweetness, sticky fruit, BIG plum/prune... remarkable, how much *prune* there is. Spicy bread dough. As much as I can't fathom this as a 'mainstream' beer, I really don't want to stop smelling it.

T: Sweeter and less complex than the first kvass I tried. Similar pit fruit, rolled figs or dates and a murky prune juice. A really odd flavor in the finish: earthen berry/cherry, ripe and a little dirty. A languid caramel and a little leather and molasses give cause for contemplation.

M: Pretty uninspired feel - very slick, very thin, under-carbonated. Some modest unfilteredness to lend a little body weight, but hardly enough to offset a humdrum thinness. All that said, it's refreshing lightness is worthwhile.

O: I didn't score a single category too highly (ok, smell is a '4'), yet here I am scoring a bit higher for the Overall. Harken back to the 'Drinkability' days of not so long ago, I find this to be a benign yet cheerful sort of drink, the kind I don't have to have again but certainly wouldn't refuse either. It's like salted cola...and that's OK by me. (1,989 characters)

3.41/5  rDev +19.6%

I have sampled over 20 different bottled/canned brands of kvass. I had high hopes for this one, especially when it poured so dark and creamy. The taste was strongly of wheat and rye. It went down smooth with a slight feeling of carbonatoin. As far as kvass goes, it was quite average.

I would never compare kvass to beer. They are two entirely different animals. Even when you lump together ales, stouts, and lagers together all as beer, kvass still doesn't fit amongst them. It's not really an alcoholic beverage (1% on average). In Russia, it is served on the street from giant metal tanks probably 50-100 gallons in size, and it is loved by children and adults alike on hot summer days. When I judge a bottled or canned kvass, I always compare it against the street kvass, which is the best. It can't be compared to any type of beer. (838 characters)

2.16/5  rDev -24.2%

16oz. can poured into a tulip. Thanks to beerwolf77 for sharing!

(A)- Pours a dark brown. Produced some tan to transparent bubbles.

(S)- Smells like prune and raisins. Very reminiscent of iced tea too. Very sugary sweet smelling.

(T)- Similar to the smell. Its literally like drinking a combination of prune juice and heavily sweetened iced tea.

(M)- A mellow carbonation level. Very very sugary sweet with a raisin/prune thing.

(D)- A very different beer. I realize this fits the style, however it is almost undrinkable for me. Very sugary sweet and weird. (562 characters)

3.18/5  rDev +11.6%

This is my first and so far only Kvass. Thanks big time to Woodychandler for shipping me this Russian treat.

Pours a dark caramel/chestnut color. Clean with a bit of a soapy off-brown head. Darker than I expected, but then again I wasn't expecting much of anything.

Aroma is very sweet malt. It has a tea-like quality, somewhat astringent, but mostly sweet. Caramel. Sticky smelling.

Oiy...taste is super sweet malt, syrupy. This reminds me of some of the local sweets I tried in India where the main ingredient is sugar or some type of syrup. Wow. Thinking on it some, the beer it most reminds me of is SA Triple Bock. Now, it's nowhere near as thick or soy-saucey, but it has some of the dark fruit qualities and super sweet characteristic. If it had some smoke or roast, I'd more identify it with a Scotch/Scottish Ale. Alas, it's too thin anyway.

Overall I'm giving it a C rating...since it is the first one for me. Glad to have tried this one. Would like to try another, but I can wait :) (999 characters)

2.45/5  rDev -14%

Enormous gratitude goes out to woodychandler for this can in an unsolicited surprise box!

Pours a deep garnet-tinged cola color with a small sheet of beige lace on top. Left with just a ring around the edge. No lace left behind. The nose is explosively-full of licorice and molasses. Powerful stuff. I can't say I dig it. The mouth is a little flat, it's like hours-old Coke. Light carbonation on the tongue. This beer is sickeningly-sweet! Dark sweet tea, sugar, red licorice, syrup, and sugar. My teeth hurt after drinking this. Still, I wanted to give this rare style a try, and I can now say I have. Most likely won't be revisiting this one anytime soon. Would make a great "wager" beer for my guys' billiards night...

Thanks again, woodychandler, I will definitely reCAN the favor! (788 characters)

Ochakovskiy Kvass from Ochakovo