Ochakovskiy Kvass - Ochakovo

poor

Ochakovo visit their website
Russian Federation

Kvass |  2.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Gueuzedude on 06-07-2008)
2.75/5  rDev -2.8%

3.46/5  rDev +22.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

(purchased at Bell's Market, NE Philly - poured into a Sam Smith's pint)

A: dark brownish ruby in color, nice clarity... tall, sudsy foam on the pour, the texture of which reminds me of a German doppelbock or wheat beer; takes a couple minutes to fall... no lacing, though it keeps a fairly thick collar

S: blackstrap molasses, pumpernickel crust, rye flour

T: whoa! wasn't quite prepared for the taste - it's like molasses, (flat) root beer, Jewish rye bread crust... somewhat bitter in the finish, lingering, the quality of which reminds me of burnt sugar and some sort of herbal, medicinal tincture... I would call it sweet, vaguely candy-like... bit of a fermenting dough aftertaste and what seems to be (but likely isn't) chocolate malt

M: kind of fullish and velvety smooth; does have some luscious body to it... hardly any carbonation to dazzle the palate... not nearly as sticky on the palate as I expected

O: first exposure to a commercial 'kvass'...

I'm sure, with time, I could become addicted to this stuff... a lot of its flavors are right up my alley - but I hardly ever drink soft drinks, and this tastes a bit like one... I've brewed about a half-dozen small batches of kvass at home, using traditional recipes and mine are more tart, funky, lemony, and a good bit less dark and sweet

this has the look and the body of a beer - I don't think there's any question about it... it just carries the sweetness of a soft drink but, apparently, not nearly as much sugar as a Coke; can't figure that out... luckily, I grabbed another can of a different brand, so we'll see how that measures up

3.75/5  rDev +32.5%

3.25/5  rDev +14.8%

4.26/5  rDev +50.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Plastic 2 liter bottle, no clue what to expect

A-dark brown with a light tan head, fades.

S-smells like beer wort. Strong scent. I actually like it a lot. Very peppery. Grainy. Caramels.

T-comes in with a very light but prominent taste of caramel malts and sweet grains. Has a really good after-taste of dark grains and cereal. The flavors are actually fairly bold. Somewhat syrupy as well.

M-almost watery but very crisp and smooth

O-tastes like a beer flavored soda, or soda flavored beer....I can't decide. It's surprisingly good and very drinkable! I enjoy the format as well, big plastic bottle...it's fitting.

2.74/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 2 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Tasted On: 06-04-2013
Freshness: Best by 11-19-2013
Packaging: 0.5L tall can
Glassware: Mug
Purchased: Single from Aleksey's Market, Nashville

Pours as a reddish-black beer, with almost no head. Head retention and lacing are just not there at all. Looks like a flat cola.

Aromas have molasses and sweet syrup, with some tobacco and vegetable notes.

The taste seems to match the smells, with sweet molasses and caramels, plus some vegetable flavors. Tastes much like a cola.

Body is light, with very low carbonation. Aftertaste is again very cola-like.

Overall the flavors were all right, but it suffered from such low carbonation.

2.03/5  rDev -28.3%

Picked up a can of this from a local Russian Deli. Poured into a pint glass and was quickly hit by the sweet molasses aroma. Was like sticking my nose in a jar of molasses. Being a dark beer guy, I liked how it look, until the nice tan head faded (about 30 seconds). Beer had a dark hazy brown look and a strong sweet aroma. Taste was like prunes and molasses, very sweet, hell, this is prune juice. Mouthfeel is light and flat with a sour aftertaste. Never had anything like this before.

1.75/5  rDev -38.2%

3.5/5  rDev +23.7%

2.75/5  rDev -2.8%

Haven't reviewed for a while, but I'm not sure when I'll next get some Kvass in my apartment. A gift from a Russian coworker after he tasted my last sour homebrew and it reminded him of Kvass.

This stuff is dark, with not much of a head. Looks thick... like molasses. Actually decently interesting.

The nose is... offputting. Stale rye? Something left out for too long? Hrm... hopefully this tastes better.

The taste is like liquid bread, mixed with molasses and slightly soured. Very interesting, but not distinctly good.

I'm glad I've tried this, but I'm not sure what to do with it. Maybe I'd like a strong Kvass that's more sour. Maybe I just need to find a better Kvass.

2.6/5  rDev -8.1%

Thanks for sending me this style tick FosterJM!

22oz can poured into a straight sided pint. There are two dates on the bottom (9/26/11 and 6/26/12) but not sure what they mean.

A: Tan half-finger head with little retention. Looks pretty slick and syrupy. Body is brown like a cola.

S: Very sweet smelling. Heavy raisin, light molasses, honey and brown sugar.

T: Sweet, but not nearly as thick and cloying as the nose led me to believe. Reminds me of a watered down cola. I suspect that I’m primarily tasting birch syrup but I’m not very familiar with it so I can’t say for sure.

M: Surprisingly thin and watery. Only slightly fizzy like a soda that's been sitting out for several hours. A bit dry on the finish.

O: Not anything traditionally beer like but I’m glad I got to try it. I’ll pick up a birch beer sometime to see how it compares.

2.68/5  rDev -5.3%

1246th Review on BA
Can to Footed Amber
500ml

Purchased a single can from Moscow Deli, Costa Mesa, CA for $2.35

App- Really looks like a soda to me. Has a deep garnet and light brown color. Huge 3 finger light khaki head with a few dotty lines of cling.

Smell- Super sweet and sugary. Has a ton of deep and dark fruits but not like a dubbel. More like liquid candy.

Taste- Someone else said it and I will concur. Liquid raisins. Just an odd mix of liquid candy raisin sweet with a damp old Rye flavor. I cant really place the flavors I am missing but just making me keep drinking this.

Mouth- A light semi flat body with a low semi sweet residual flavor. Flat carbonation and a bit still.

Drink- Well the hardest two styles are ticked. This is just odd to me. Raisins, sugar, bread. Its kinda bad but I keep drinking it!

2.95/5  rDev +4.2%

Poured from the can into a nonic pint glass. Much thanks to Woodychandler.

A simple dark brown walnut body, lots of microscopic pin head sized cola bubbles EVERYWHERE on the glass. A very uniform looking head off the pour, tan light honey color much like other Kvass.

Nose is very small and muted. Typical raisin, simple hiding grain, not as sweet smelling, hard to pick out senses.

Taste is kind of odd but with sweet finish, sugars, a little bit of molasses and bread action on this, but real tiny. Mouthfeel is somewhere between light flattened cola but no syrupy qualities. It's also kind of buttery tasting as well.

Overall not bad, but not really interesting or exciting, but it is drinkable.

3.48/5  rDev +23%

Received in a trade with WoodyChandler and shared with bpk59.

A - Pours a dark garnet hue that appears to be clear with a fizzy mocha head that leaves a nice cloud and lacing.

S - Smell is of sweet raisin bread, molasses, malts, candi sugar, and more dark fruits.

T - Taste is similar to the nose, lots of molasses and raidin bread and flat cola. Much more molasses than other kvasses I've tried. Dark fruits like dates and figs.

M - Mouthfeel is thin, which helps kill the sticky sweetness.

O - Overall this is much different and better than the others. Tastes almost like raisin water. I still cant consume a whole can of this, but its not bad.

3.5/5  rDev +23.7%

2.83/5  rDev 0%

A: The pour is a dark mahogany sort of color with just a thing layer, quickly dissipating off-white head.

S: Smells strongly of prunes and toasted bread. There is a little bit of plum as well as some table sugar. Also, a very pronounced aroma of soy sauce.

T: As with the aroma, heavy on the prunes and sugar. It's sort of watery but it does have some cola and dark fruit flavors as well as the more typical bread.

M: Light in body with quite low carbonation.

O: The aroma was just unpleasant. Flavor wasn't too bad, though.

2.73/5  rDev -3.5%

A: The beer is clear dark reddish brown in color and has a light amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a finger high tan head that never completely faded away.
S: There are very sweet aromas of malt extract in the nose with notes of caramel, prunes and rye bread.
T: The overall taste is very sweet and tastes more like a mixture of beer, bread and soda with some notes of molasses. The sweetness is rather cloying.
M: It feels light bodied and somewhat thin and watery on the palate with a light to moderate amount of carbonation.
O: With all of the sweetness, drinking this beer definitely takes some getting used to, although it does taste a little better as the beer warms up.

3.4/5  rDev +20.1%

Holy shit! Finally! Much thanks goes to woodychandler for an unsolicited box of kvass that wound up here today. Without a doubt the style that I almost had give up on trying. Regardless, this is the first kvass I've ever had, not to mention that I have ever seen.
Anyway 16oz bright yellow tallboy into an Odell 90 Shilling imperial pint. Two dates on the bottom: 23/12/10 and 23/09/11C2

A: Pours a deep chocolate brown with a small, tan quick to fade head that disappears almost instantly. Nice clarity. Tons of red highlights when held up. No lacing to speak of. A small island of bubbles remains in the middle.

S: Rye bread, no other way to describe it a fresh loaf of baked rye bread. If anyone wants a descriptor of what 'dark breads' smell like, this beer is it. I get a few notes of chocolate cake and caramel as well. Raisins, without a doubt raisins as well.

T: Tons of raisins, can't really think of anything of anything else, just tastes like liquid raisins. Has a decent amount of malt in there a bit of caramel, and a touch of chocolate. Slightly tart as well, not a huge pucker factor but just a hint of a tart flavor. Tons of dark rye bread. Has a lot of soda like characters, here, maybe a touch on the grape soda side which somewhat detracts from the beer. Some honey, and corn syrup as well.

M: Quite a bit of body for a 2% beer, medium carbonation, and fairly sticky on the finish.

O: For what it is, this is pretty damn tasty, and incredibly drinkable. I definitely see this as a nice drink in the summer when nothing else sounds good. It definitely is soda like, and is really sweet, but I kinda like it. Why aren't there Eastern European Markets in Vernal, UT!?!?!

Ochakovskiy Kvass from Ochakovo