Peachy King - RJ Rockers Brewing Company

Peachy KingPeachy King

RJ Rockers Brewing Company visit their website
South Carolina, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: jaswilson2 on 02-08-2014)

4.86/5  rDev +28.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Tried at the brewery. Normally not a fan of fruit/vegetable brews but this was exceptional. Color and smell were amazing. Taste is the equivalent of a mouthful of ripe peaches; what's surprising is the depth: thick but not syrupy, with a big note of honeysuckle that embraces both the fruit and the 9% abv perfectly.

Not something I'd drink year round but on a balmy spring afternoon, a spicy dip or plate of jerked chicken washes down well with a growler of this stuff.

4.65/5  rDev +23.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

This was called Impeachment. Year to Year this beer may vary - this year's release was spectacular. Way more peach flavor than the Son of Peach which is a good thing - it tastes natural and makes this strong 10% go down way too easy. If they make beer candles one day - this would have to be one of them, easily one of the best smelling beers on the market.

4.46/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Drink this beer at 50F or below to suppress the alcohol in the beer. Strong aroma of peaches on the nose and with the finish. Perfect for summer drinking in 90 F weather when darker beers are not as inviting. Beware, if this beer gets too warm, the alcohol will start to mask the peach aftertaste and the experience will not be as pleasurable. I brought this beer to a summer concert that was outside and it was the perfect venue for a beer like this.

4.4/5  rDev +16.7%

4.13/5  rDev +9.5%

I am still reducing and eradicating my backlog of bottles, but I have been mostly impressed so far with this brewery's beers. My thanks to the Friendly Greek Bottle Shop for making them available to us.

From the bottle: "Stop by & visit us in Spartanburg[,]SC"; "Drink Smart"; "Handcrafted Every [Bottle,] [Drop,] [Time]"; "Ruthless to the pit, the King is a tasty tyrant to be feared and revered. Cloaked in gold with an air of fresh South Carolina peaches, it's easy to fall prey to is majesty's palatable charms. Respect the power of the peach, or it's off with your head." Is it me, or does the King resemble Felonious Monk IRL?

I am ruthless when it comes to aggro pours! I love watching the pseudo-cascade occur, the development of two fingers of tawny head with decent retention and finally, the release of the esters. Once more, a beer smelled like preserves in my kitchen. I really miss my grandmothers, both of whom were well versed in the culinary arts. They were the ones who taught me to can fruits and vegetables during the summer months so that they would be available in the wintertime. Beyond simple canning was the production of jams, jellies and preserves and that is what this beer reminded me of. Color was a hazy deep-amber (SRM = > 9, < 13). Once the head settled, I leaned in for a better sniff and then it really hit me - peach brandy! There was a group of us on the USS Fulton (AS-11) in 1985 that were all in our early 20s while Connecticut's drinking age was still 20 y/o. We did not have a lot of money, so we would have the evening meal on the mess decks, then go to a nearby liquor store and get a couple of cases of cheap beer and some fruit brandy, usually blackberry, but occasionally peach, and listen to the radio from local WCNI-FM while throwing frisbees. Man, I had not thought about those days in years! Mouthfeel was medium-to-full. Taste was peachy keen, but with a real heat to go with it. Phew! Man, I was totally digging this action. Imperial Wheat, eh? Whoda thunk it? Lay this on some of the chicks who profess not to like beer and see what happens ... Sure, it had a slight burn on the finish, but the peach flavor trumped all.

Peachy King from RJ Rockers Brewing Company