Son Of A Peach - RJ Rockers Brewing Company

South Carolina, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  6.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: mikesgroove on 02-27-2009

An unfiltered American wheat ale made with real mean peaches. The only thing missing is the fuzz. Savor the anger. Available during the late Spring and Summer months.
Reviews by Brandi123P:
3.97/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I had this beer on a whim. I saw it in the cooler at work as a special craft night beer. I popped it after hours and took a few sips. I figured it would be nice and refreshing and boy was I right! It was so sweet and perfect. Pale ale and had amazing peach hints through the whole experience. To me it would be an amazing summer beer. I loved it so much our local Sam's Club sales local beers and I stocked up!!! Favorite for now! (430 characters)

2.85/5  rDev -21.9%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Meh. I tried this on a hot day in Florida since I thought it might hit the spot and its just not doing it for me. The aroma and taste were like the syrup from a can of peaches, which I personally don't find appetizing. I understand it says real peaches but I just wasn't tasting a fresh peach there. Maybe it was just not the right batch. (343 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +26.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I really enjoyed this beer. While it has heavy peach flavoring, it's not sweet at all, so you can have more than one and not OD on the sweetness that is the downfall of many fruity beers (in my opinion). Give it a shot and see if you like it. I've definitely had MUCH worse. I'd buy this for my home (I originally had it at a bar). Happy tasting! (346 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +25.8%

Just tried this with Case Wood of RJ Rockers.

Appearance: Cloudy Mango/Orange/Amber Color. Slight head with very little lacing.

Smell: Fresh South Carolina Peaches with a hint of creamy aroma.

Taste: A refreshing wash of peach over the palate with a hint of brown sugar. An easy tart finish with notes of grapefruit/hops.

Mouthfeel: Refreshing. Feels wonderful on the palate. Medium-full bodied seasonal.

Drinkability: I was reluctant at first to try this beer. I've had a bad time with fruit driven beers in the past. This Pale Wheat is the perfect summer refresher. I highly recommend it not just for the girlfriend, but the craft beer enthusiast. It tastes fresh, and could be very enjoyable as a session beer. For the witbier/hefeweizen drinkers - take a step out of your box - this beer's a crowd pleaser. (819 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +16.4%

3.75/5  rDev +2.7%

3.5/5  rDev -4.1%

3.28/5  rDev -10.1%

Nice-looking beer.
Aroma a little lacking.
Taste a lot lacking. Peaches way too subtle for me. (94 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

It's cloudy like pond water, though I appreciate seeing peach sediment floating in the liquid. I guess the peaches give this style quite a twist, but it looks just peachy from my perspective!

The smell is excellent. Again, it diverts from the style template but, objectively, it smells like an air freshener. The aroma leaves no doubt that this here beer's made with real peaches. They're probably from Gaffney, and smelling this beer conjures up images of the enormous peach water tower on the side of the I-85 near Spartanburg. Straight real peach.

The taste doesn't quite match the hitherto examination, probably because it's stronger than your average fruit (particularly peach) beer. It's definitely solid, but it's reminiscent of PJ days--I don't know why we called it that, but it was fruit soaked in grain alcohol. I don't even recall peaches being involved, but this beer equals peach plus alcohol. If it was just a wee bit lighter on the ethanol, it might taste even better; regardless, it's a solid peach beer. I must've made some progress with style consideration, because I might rank this beverage categorically higher if it were classified as a fruit beer....

It's that relatively potent 5.8% ABV that contributes to a slightly chalky mouthfeel. The peaches are great and, to RJ's credit, you taste them more than you feel them. I appreciate the idea of fruit beers for beer lovers (as opposed to fruity, even girly, convert-type beers), and this is undoubtedly one of those.

It is fruity, and it does have relative strength, so that makes for a weird type of drinkability judgement. I wish they'd make both a more powerful and a more subtle version--somehow add more carbonation with less ethanol production (move towards Festina Pesche) with a more pungent-peachy alcohol bomb (move toward something like Fort or the upcoming Sweetwater Blue Balls). RJ Rockers has something here, and they should roll with it. (1,931 characters)

would not buy again . heavy on peach. not so great on the beer flavor. i mixed peach schnapps and apricot brandy with it to make it palatable so i could finish the remaining 5 bottles. my brother didn't care for it. oh well..abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwkxyz.:( (255 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours a slightly hazy gold with touches of amber. Medium collar, great lacing, good wisps and decent head. Aroma is great; like a fresh juicy peach with a some wheatiness to it as well. Taste is where it falls off a bit. I get the peach, but it tastes manufactured. Peach up front, wheaty banana in the middle and some odd bitter spiciness at the end. Medium body, low carbonation and a slightly grainy mouthfeel too. (423 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -4.1%

3.55/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: 1 inch head, hazy, orange-brown in color, moderate carbonation

Smell: sour peach mix

Taste: peach, white grape, wheat, and light hops

Mouthfeel: sweet with light bitterness, light bodied with moderate carbonation

Overall: An above average peachy ale that has enough bitterness to balance out the fruit. Nothing groundbreaking, but I could see myself finishing off a six pack quickly during the warmer months. (424 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +2.7%

4.75/5  rDev +30.1%

4.75/5  rDev +30.1%

4.25/5  rDev +16.4%

2.86/5  rDev -21.6%

Cloudy off orange pour with a small white head and minimal lacing. Artificial peach aroma, artificial peach flavor. Really not much else here. If you’re gonna make a peach brew at least make it taste like real, fresh peaches, not cheap, sticky sweet ones. As you may have guessed, didn’t think too much of this one. Sticky sweet finish and average carbonation. Can't believe this is their most popular beer. The girls must love it. That's probably the only market for it. The kind of girls that used to be a high school parties with wine coolers. (550 characters)

Son Of A Peach from RJ Rockers Brewing Company