Son Of A Peach - RJ Rockers Brewing Company

South Carolina, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  6.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: mikesgroove on 02-27-2009

An unfiltered American wheat ale made with real mean peaches. The only thing missing is the fuzz. Savor the anger. Available during the late Spring and Summer months.
4.87/5  rDev +34.9%

Wonderful cool peach flavor that's not overpowering or phony tasting. A bit dark for what I'd expect a peach ale to look like, but comes through clean and smooth.

4.82/5  rDev +33.5%

Poured from a bottle an orange, peachy color into a pint glass. Medium carbonation and rather small, nectarine hued head.

Scent was of a sweet southern peach, reminded me of a a wonderful day on the South Carolina beach... Hints of orange and vanilla as well- fantastic.

Ahhhh... The first drink. Medium carbonation, with cool, refreshing taste of biting into a peach. The fact that I took the drink at the wonderful Red Hen restaurant on Johns Island, SC probably made this first sip even better. It continued to stay wonderful after that.

Good god was this a fantastic and enjoyable summer beer! Fantastic! I found a case at the Piggly Wiggly off of Kiawah and may buy another to take back to Pittsburgh with me. If you find it, buy it!

4.8/5  rDev +33%

Quite possibly the most pleasing beer by smell I've ever encountered. The taste was light and peachy - very sweet. Can barely taste the wheat beer. The wheat gives it a very creamy finish which compliments the flavor. Overall, an outstanding fruit beer.

4.63/5  rDev +28.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I really enjoyed this beer. While it has heavy peach flavoring, it's not sweet at all, so you can have more than one and not OD on the sweetness that is the downfall of many fruity beers (in my opinion). Give it a shot and see if you like it. I've definitely had MUCH worse. I'd buy this for my home (I originally had it at a bar). Happy tasting!

4.6/5  rDev +27.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I happened across this beer at a local craft beer and burger joint in Brentwood, TN. It was recommended by a fellow YELP'er and it did not disappoint. Appearance - medium golden with light foam. Smell - wonderful peachy aroma but not overpowering. Taste - absolutely delicious wheat ale, not overpowering sweetness you might expect from a peach ale. Feel - great! Not too light, nice and crisp. It is my humble opinion a nice cold draft I thoroughly enjoyed. I try to go back when in town to have another. Haven't found it anywhere else yet. Disappointed to read its only available in Spring and Summer.

4.59/5  rDev +27.1%

Just tried this with Case Wood of RJ Rockers.

Appearance: Cloudy Mango/Orange/Amber Color. Slight head with very little lacing.

Smell: Fresh South Carolina Peaches with a hint of creamy aroma.

Taste: A refreshing wash of peach over the palate with a hint of brown sugar. An easy tart finish with notes of grapefruit/hops.

Mouthfeel: Refreshing. Feels wonderful on the palate. Medium-full bodied seasonal.

Drinkability: I was reluctant at first to try this beer. I've had a bad time with fruit driven beers in the past. This Pale Wheat is the perfect summer refresher. I highly recommend it not just for the girlfriend, but the craft beer enthusiast. It tastes fresh, and could be very enjoyable as a session beer. For the witbier/hefeweizen drinkers - take a step out of your box - this beer's a crowd pleaser.

4.56/5  rDev +26.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer "technically" hasn't been released yet, but I've managed to get my hands on it twice so far. Once from the tasting wall at the brewery, and once from a limited trial at Terry's a couple weeks ago. I know I've said Buckwheat was my favorite by RJR, and since I've only tried Son of a Peach twice I'm not going to refute that right now, but let's just say I am EAGERLY anticipating the release of this one! It pours a cloudy peach color with very little head. Aroma is dominated by peach which I think makes it seem like you taste more peach than you actually do. Not sure how or when they added peaches during the process, but it's certainly a unique blend of aroma and taste. This one is not overly sweet at all, especially for a fruit beer. There is a little sweetness at the end, but certainly a beer you could continuously down. Carbonation levels leave this beer crisp and refreshing. I'm sure there are some beer geeks out there that won't give this one a fair shake, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Nice job!!!

4.54/5  rDev +25.8%

SouthernBelle reviewed this one saying that some beer geeks out here may not give this a fair shake. Well, I'm a beer geek, a brewer, a BJCP certified judge, and a beer lover, and I'm about to give this one a very fair shake!

I had three bottles of this beer bottled from a keg of the second batch. I managed to stretch them over three days in order to be sure that my mood at the moment of tasting did not control my impressions. The following observations are an amalgam of those three tastings. One quick note: although at the time of this review the listing on BA categorizes this beer as an American Pale Ale, it is actually an American Pale Wheat Ale (according to the brewer and my taste buds). BA should probably fix this, but you need to understand that going into the review.

Appearance: excellent color (probably in the 3 to 6 SRM range), and a delicate white head. I believe this is an unfiltered product, and had the characteristic cloudiness of a wheat-based fruit beer.

Aroma: peach, peach, peach. The wheat beer that forms the base of this offering is present as an American wheat beer and so does not produce the esters and aromatics of its German cousins. The aroma is very clean, with the peach also displaying mango, pineapple, and apricot undertones. The hops are subdued in the aroma to allow the fruit to blossom. No diacetyl noticeable.

Flavor: again, the peach is up front on the palate, followed by a pleasant sweetness and the graininess of the wheat beer. The IBUs could be slightly higher to counter the sweet, but it is not out of balance as is. What is most important here is that the fruit and the underlying wheat beer are in excellent balance -- the fruit is not cloying, but it is very much present in harmony with the wheat. There is very little malitness, alcohol, or diacetyl present to distract the attention from the fruit and wheat.

Mouthfeel: medium-light body; carbonation level is present by not explosive. No alcohol warming.

Overall Impression: we have here a harmonious marriage of fruit and beer. The choice of peach is the perfect compliment to the American wheat beer, and it is well-presented. Perfect spring and summer beer.

4.51/5  rDev +24.9%

A great tasting peach wheat ale light in color with an amazing taste very sweet goes great w a salty pretzel ,but I only like to drink one because it's so so sweet most fruity beers are I only wish I like the rest of RJ Rockers beers which don't do,anything for me and my beer buddy's

4.5/5  rDev +24.7%

Pours a hazy, bright orange with a nice looking white head. Smells strongly of peaches, which is a good thing, and also a faint aroma of wheat, just enough to let you know that this is indeed a wheat beer. The taste is something to get very excited about. The peach flavour comes through very strongly, without at all being off-putting. After a few minutes pure amazement at the peach, my head returns from the clouds and the rest of the taste comes through, with a lot of other fruity and flowery notes. The aftertaste is a very sweet peach. The body is not too full but not too light either, very good for this type of beer. The all-around greatness of this will keep me reaching for more and more, especially during the sweltering summer heat.

4.45/5  rDev +23.3%

A: Ultra cloudy, honey-straw color. Looks like unfiltered apple cider from a roadside stand. A thin tan film of foam with no lacing.

T&M: Light bodied. Peaches all the way. Some underlying wheat and malt. Very nice peach wheat ale. Fresh peaches undoubtedly.

I don't necesarily enjoy peaches, but this is not over the top or under the radar. It is what it is and an excellent recipe!

4.42/5  rDev +22.4%

Finally able to try this one on tap and was very excited. I've reviewd a couple Rockers brews before, and since they are my local beer I may be a little biased, but this one was really unique. It has a cloudy color, obviously unfiltered; I'd compare its appearance to an apple cider (which was cool). Aroma is full of peaches. I've tried a lot of fruit beers (namely blueberry ales) that smell "fake", but this aroma seems really authentic. Taste has a little peach to it, but not as much as you would expect going off the aroma. Just a little bit alcohol as well which I didn't expect. I'm told the abv is 5.8%. Overall a very refreshing, interesting beer and one that I plan on drinking by the 6 pack over the summer. Can't wait for its release in bottles.

4.42/5  rDev +22.4%

One of the pleasant surprises of my first trip to the Myrtle, SC area. The basket of peaches we picked up at the flea market was good too!

Appearance - a very cloudy, dare I say 'fuzzy' pour. Peachy color for sure, a finger of flat-white foam.

Aroma - pure peach. Intense, fruity and fresh. Good stuff.

Taste - a fair but negligible base malt, some grainy sweetness. Nearly no identity to it though, as the sweet peach flavor is fairly immediate and dominating. The peach flavor is on the sweeter side but with lots of supporting fruitiness. A nice bit of hop balance on the swallow, and the peach stays to the very end.

Mouthfeel - smooth stuff, not too heavy, modestly carbonated.

Drinkability - a fine summer brew, very smooth and easy to knock back. Popular with all but the the most diligent of fruit beer nazis, lol.

4.41/5  rDev +22.2%

A Pours orange, cloudy and with a thin foam head. Minimal lacing. Sediment visible in glass.

S - The peach scent is incerdible. Smells natural, sweet, and inviting. A secondary wheat aroma is there too; smells like cooked pasta.

T - Flavors of peach are forefront. There is a bit of tangy citrus and grain taste as well. Just lots of flavor and if you like peaches you will love this.

M - Smooth flavors, a bit of a gritty feel to it. Light bodied.

O - This is a variant of what Cigar City does with Peach Jai-Alai. I think this is equally as good though as a different style. Really enjoying these folks from SC.

4.38/5  rDev +21.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Shows up cloudy and orange with a creamy white head. Amazing retention but not a lot of lace.
Smell is full of sweet peaches and malt.
Taste is malty, peachy with hints of clove and pepper.
Rich, smooth and delicious. Medium effervescence with q fuller than medium body. Peachy aftertaste but not overwhelmingly so. Drink one, it makes a great dessert.

4.37/5  rDev +21.1%

I poured a bottle into a mug.

Appearance- Cloudy golden color with two and a half fingers worth of foamy head. Great head retention with a nice amount of lacing.

Smell- Nothing but peaches.

Taste- Peach and wheat flavor with a slight hoppy finish. The peach flavor is not as strong as the smell.

Mouthfeel- Medium bodied with a nice amount of carbonation. Very crisp.

Overall- A very good fruit beer. If you are a fan of this style then you must try this one.

4.31/5  rDev +19.4%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

174 calories per bottle at 6% ABV. Not a bad fruit flavored seasonal. The peach taste is not too lite or too strong. I could last through a 6'er with this one. The best part is there is no over dose of sweetness and the aftertaste is works, which seems to be main problem with a fruit flavored beer. I would buy again.

4.29/5  rDev +18.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This is a really good beer. If you like peach flavored drinks then you will like this beer. It has a gloden look to it. Their is not that much head like some beers have. The smell is really good. The taste is also really good as well. Tou actually can taste the peach flavor that it has. It is not too strong like some beers are. It is not a heavy beer, but it is also not too light at the sametime.

4.29/5  rDev +18.8%

This is one amazing beer received in the Under 100 BIF - only 11 reviews!

Poured into a Duvel glass with a nearly opaque orange. The head was a thick large bubble head that reduced quickly. I was a bit disappointed with the head formation. Coaxing a head is typically easy from a wheat but not in this case. I believe the fruit has caused more acidity which decreased the head retention.

The smell is of fresh, and I mean fresh, peaches. Being from the south I can definately appreciate this aroma. There is absolutely no hop aroma which is not unusual for a wheat beer. I would like to smell more wheat backbone and less peach nectar honey aroma.

The flavors are of a mead and wheat/fruit beer mixture. If there's not honey in this one I'd be surpised - there is that dry yet sweet flavor. Obviously peaches, peaches, and more peaches are tasted but more than that is a sweet wheat/malt flavor that is extremely long.

The mouthfeel is robust and clingy compared to many wheat beers I've tried. The residual sugars make this somewhat sticky and a little syrupy even.

The low alcohol and great flavor makes this fruit wheat beer a joy to drink. I only have 1 but I'd gladly put away two or three of these bad boys.

4.25/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

A - Pours an extremely murky orangish golden amber color with very little head, but pretty good lacing for this type of beer.

S - Wheat, peach and yeast notes. Pleasant, but not strong.

T - Very, very peachy. A bit tangy and syrupy tasting. If you like peaches, this will be a great tasting wheat beer for the summer months. This gets better with every sip.

M - Medium bodied, great carbonation levels, a bit chewy, the peach flavors really linger on your mouth. I really wish I had more than one of these right now.

O - This one really surprised me. This is really tasty and a great summer-style beer. I really love peaches, so I look forward to having this one again. It's very peachy and could become one of my regular summer rotation beers, enjoy!

4.25/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Smelled very peachy to me!! Full of initial flavor with light pleasant peach aftertaste. Decided to mix it with my favorite hefe and made a very nice fruity, but filling beer. Would definitely buy more

4.23/5  rDev +17.2%

I like this flavor a lot and get a great scent from the beer. It could have a bit of different body to enhance flavor and more of a peach aftertaste. I would buy it again.

4.21/5  rDev +16.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Had this on tap at Tupelo Honey in Myrtle Beach. Really good beer. Refreshing taste from this golden ale with the smell of peaches. I was most surprised at the peach taste as it wasn't overwhelming at all (like u may think). The peach compliments the beer perfectly. Would definitely purchase again.

4.2/5  rDev +16.3%

Actually cracked my first ever bottle of this one tonight. I had been wanting to try it before, but this was the first time. Served cold and poured into a pint glass, this one was consumed on 10/20/2009.

The pour was nice hazy light amber in color with a smooth overall look to it. Nice cloudiness to it and a nice head of white creeping up and over the top of the glass. Aroma is tight, loads of peach and spices coming through. Hints of cinnamon and nutmeg and loads of fresh peach notes. Nice crisp, clean flavor here. Fresh off the tree peach flavor, really very well done and I am officially impressed here. Crisp, fresh fruit, light notes of spice and a healthy dose of light grain notes. Soo friggin drinkable, wow. I really cannot say it enough, I am impressed.

Perhaps my favoite beer of theirs I have ever had. This was just sublime at times. A great, great beer.

4.18/5  rDev +15.8%

I don't typically enjoy wheat beers. I usually don't even think to order them because I don't even feel like I can judge them fairly, but while visiting this brewery in SC I decided to try it.

I'm sure this beer changes from year to year because it is a seasonal. It pours very cloudy and orange. It has a very nice head though and smells sweet and peachy. I'm guessing they use frozen peaches because fresh would probably add a very inconsistant flavoring depending on the crop.

I can definitely taste the higher abv in this beer. It has a somewhat bitter finish, but think it's a great wheat beer.

Son Of A Peach from RJ Rockers Brewing Company