Son Of A Peach - RJ Rockers Brewing Company

RJ Rockers Brewing Company visit their website
South Carolina, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  6.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

An unfiltered American wheat ale made with real mean peaches. The only thing missing is the fuzz. Savor the anger. Available during the late Spring and Summer months.

(Beer added by: mikesgroove on 02-27-2009)
View: Beers (32) |  Events

Bartos

06-25-2014 23:21:13 | More by Bartos
marvin213

3.98/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

It's cloudy like pond water, though I appreciate seeing peach sediment floating in the liquid. I guess the peaches give this style quite a twist, but it looks just peachy from my perspective!

The smell is excellent. Again, it diverts from the style template but, objectively, it smells like an air freshener. The aroma leaves no doubt that this here beer's made with real peaches. They're probably from Gaffney, and smelling this beer conjures up images of the enormous peach water tower on the side of the I-85 near Spartanburg. Straight real peach.

The taste doesn't quite match the hitherto examination, probably because it's stronger than your average fruit (particularly peach) beer. It's definitely solid, but it's reminiscent of PJ days--I don't know why we called it that, but it was fruit soaked in grain alcohol. I don't even recall peaches being involved, but this beer equals peach plus alcohol. If it was just a wee bit lighter on the ethanol, it might taste even better; regardless, it's a solid peach beer. I must've made some progress with style consideration, because I might rank this beverage categorically higher if it were classified as a fruit beer....

It's that relatively potent 5.8% ABV that contributes to a slightly chalky mouthfeel. The peaches are great and, to RJ's credit, you taste them more than you feel them. I appreciate the idea of fruit beers for beer lovers (as opposed to fruity, even girly, convert-type beers), and this is undoubtedly one of those.

It is fruity, and it does have relative strength, so that makes for a weird type of drinkability judgement. I wish they'd make both a more powerful and a more subtle version--somehow add more carbonation with less ethanol production (move towards Festina Pesche) with a more pungent-peachy alcohol bomb (move toward something like Fort or the upcoming Sweetwater Blue Balls). RJ Rockers has something here, and they should roll with it.

08-23-2009 20:29:05 | More by marvin213
czfreeman

3.98/5  rDev +12.4%

RJ Rockers is my local brewery, and I have been looking foward to trying this brew. Although Im usually not a fan of American fruit beer, Wheat beer are one of my favorite styles and I love peaches as well.
An aggresive pour yields a hazy murky tea pale colored wheat brew. A light head dissapates at a quite alarming rate for a hefe.
Smells definatley of peach. A bit lemony, tart and acidic. Digging deeper, this is not truly a fresh-peach bouquet of floral freshness, rather slightly "processed" if you will. Peach candy comes to mind, as well as peach soda, or cream savers if you've had those.
At first taste, a local company used to produce a candy called Peach Buds, this is truly the liquid version. Starts a bit sweet, sugary, then finishes with a slighty acidic bit that makes the sweetness lightly dissapate. A light yeastiness in the background adds a nice creaminess to the beer rednolent of a nice juicy peach.
Given the low ABV, and light drinkablitity, this is a great summer beeer here in the hot, humid South.
If I had my choice on a hot patio outside, and were sticking to the local brewery, I would prefer to drink RJ's regular wheat ale, but when it came time to make dinner, I would break this one out. This would be excellent paired with coconut-pineapple glazed shrimp and arugula salad, pork chops with grilled peaches and balsamic reduction, or even sweet vanilla mousse. Who doesn't like peaches and cream?
Well done RJ Rockers, another tool in my culinary arsenal

04-26-2009 17:51:57 | More by czfreeman
jtd1969

3.98/5  rDev +12.4%

A - Hazy golden orange color with a white lacy carbonation head.

S - Smells of Peach cobler

T - Taste is of peach puree with wheat and a delightful hoppy finish. Not IPA hoppy, but enough to know it's there. .Lingering peach flavor on the back end as well.

M - I would say it's medium to light bodied. Just the right carbonation .

O - This type of beer is not for everyone. The massive amount of peaches steers many away. I really like it. It is quite different, but refreshing. It packs a punch for it's style at around 6%. Not an overly fan of wheat beers, but this one works for me.

09-03-2012 21:15:35 | More by jtd1969
rramsey

3.98/5  rDev +12.4%

A - Gold in color. Unfiltered. A lot floating around in there. Highly carbonated. Good amount of sediment in the bottom of the bottle.

S - Smells of fresh peaches.

T - I get the wheat and a good amount of peach flavor.

M - Feels great on the tongue. Light and refreshing.

O - One of my favorite summer time brews. I find it refreshing after cutting the lawn or relaxing on my patio. This years offering had a lot more floating around in my glass. Kinda weird watching those chunks working around in there. I look forward to this brew every summer.

09-30-2012 23:54:38 | More by rramsey
ChrisKayler

3.96/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Glass: Shaker Pint.

Appearance: Apricot, caramel, orange color. Hazy.

Smell: Like a can of peaches or peache gummies. Sweet and delicious.

Taste: Overly sweet peaches, slightly artificial in taste. Wheat aftertaste comes through mid sip.

Mouthfeel: Oily dry finish. Medium body with light carbonation.

Overall: An easy drinking beer, great with food or on a hot day. Wish the peaches came rhrough a little more tart instead of sweet.

05-29-2013 16:43:50 | More by ChrisKayler
Beer4Baltimore

Maryland

- from the notes
12 ounce bottles
A - barely a head on an amber liquid filled glass.
S - peaches and wheat.
T - peachy sweet wheat with a slight twang.
M - light bodied with a crisp carbonation and somewhat dry finish although I did expect it to be sweeter at the back end.
D - very drinkable if you like fruit beers and in particular peaches.

04-29-2011 02:21:03 | More by Beer4Baltimore
seedyone

3.95/5  rDev +11.6%

07/11/13 Back again. I need to walk around w/growler to drag some of this back to the cave for a porcine sacrifice or better yet go down & get some Sara Jenkins porchetta...that's the ticket, porchetta.

Jun'12 On tap. 1 year on, this remains a refreshing summer delight. Don't be fooled by the nose, it's not as brash as first blush. A welcome July quaff. At only 5.8%, depending on availability, this could become a true fav. I'm thinking backyard (who am I kidding, I live in NYC...but I can dream, can't I?) BBQ match up. Alternating with a straight ahead wheat, one could not ask for more. Did I mention pork? If not, pork!

06-18-2014 19:37:32 | More by seedyone
StvDvs

3.95/5  rDev +11.6%

I haven't had this beer by itself, so I can't properly review it by its own merits. However, I feel that I would be remiss if I didn't suggest this:

Mix half and half Son Of A Peach and a Milk Stout (I had Duck Rabbit). What results is just the smoothest, maltiest, creamiest, peachy, mocha flavor. Highly Recommended. I typically do not enjoy a fruity beer, but another patron insisted that I try it, and even offered to pay for it if I didn't enjoy it.

04-30-2011 00:38:04 | More by StvDvs
RonaldTheriot

Louisiana

3.93/5  rDev +11%

R.J. Rocker Son of a Peach has a very thick, off-white head, a semi-clear, deep golden (peachy, even) appearance, with lots of intense bubble streams and roiling brown chunks. Thick lacing is left behind. The aroma is of peaches and a hint of bread. Taste is of peaches, sugar, syrup, bread, and a touch of bitterness. Mouthfeel is light and watery, and R.J. Rocker Son of a Peach finishes dry, refreshing, sweet, and easy going. Overall, this is one of the better fruit beers I have had.

RJT

09-08-2013 13:39:31 | More by RonaldTheriot
Naugros

3.93/5  rDev +11%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The smell of this beer is amazing with all the other elements paling in comparison. The color of the beer is interesting. Yes, it's cloudy but the bi-color peach and pinkish-orange brings to mind peach melba. The head isn't all that thick but it does stick around to the bottom of the glass.

When you get a whiff you don't want to stop smelling this beer. It smells like someone opened a can of sweet Cling peaches and poured a little bit of golden ale into it. This is addictive and I wish the taste had followed suit. The peach is still there, but dried out. The wheat helps to bring peach cobbler to your thoughts, well without the cinnamon. There is an acridness that doesn't kill the experience but I do wish it wasn't there as it messes with the mouthfeel. Otherwise this is a pretty nice beer.

10-08-2011 00:25:13 | More by Naugros
GameFreac

Georgia

12 oz. bottle

Appearance: Pours a cloudy as hell orange/golden yellow color with a finger of a white head that dissipated quickly. Definitely unfiltered.

Smell: Best part of the beer. Smells of peaches or maybe a creamsicle. So good. I want to smell this forever.

Taste - Taste is all peach and wheat with a slight bitterness at the end.

Mouthfeel: Mouthfeel is light but it's good for the style.

Overall: One of the most interesting beers I've ever had. Not too big on wheat beers but this is really good.

08-05-2012 06:35:54 | More by GameFreac