Son Of A Peach - RJ Rockers Brewing Company

South Carolina, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  6.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: mikesgroove on 02-27-2009

An unfiltered American wheat ale made with real mean peaches. The only thing missing is the fuzz. Savor the anger. Available during the late Spring and Summer months.
3.21/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

Meh not that great. There are better fruity wheat beers. I had this at Packs Tavern in Asheville. How long foes the comment length need to be to be acceptable ? I feel like I ant up if just for the hell out of it. Just get a lambic if you want fruity; or AllagAsh White for a better wheat.

3.21/5  rDev -11.1%

12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a very hazy dark orange with some chunks floating around. Half finger head that quickly disappears.

The smell is actually pretty nice. Tons of peach with some bubblegum and banana.

Everything seems to go wrong on the taste. Some artificial tasting peach at first quickly followed by bubble gum and an band aid flavor. Wonder if this is infected? A mild hop bitterness cleans the palate on the finish.

Overall, I wasn't impressed. The odd medicinal flavor through me off. But even that aside, nothing seemed to meld together and the flavors were all over the place. Not a good effort.

3.2/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A - Hazy honey colored, light cream head.

S - Candied peaches mostly. Pretty overwhelming, maybe light hints of a typical wheat beer.

T - Sulfury peach flavored Flintstone's vitamins. Medicinal and fake peach flavor. I'm really stressing to find something good to say about the flavor. But it escapes me.

M - Other than the lingering sulfuric finish, the body is appropriately light and well carbonated

3.16/5  rDev -12.5%

Drank cold from a pint glass.

Loved the color here. A hazy golden brown having an almost orange tint to it. Had a nice,long lasting 2 finger head.

Smelled as expected, strong peach with some earthy/wheat notes tailing.

Tastes like peach. Not much else

I thought this beer was just ok. Don't think I'd purchase it again unless I wanted to introduce a new craft fan into some different fruit beers.

3.15/5  rDev -12.7%

A: Poured a hazy orange/honey color with a good amount of sediment floating around. Head is thin and white.

S: Aroma is very strong of peaches. Not much else because the peach smell is so strong. Some malts can be detected by not by much.

T: Taste is also mostly of peaches. The flavor is very sweet at first and flavorful. The finish has some bitter hops that combine strangely with the peach sweetness. I would have preferred that the taste not have bitterness at the end, even if it meant less complexity. Finish is a bit dry too.

M: Slightly thick tasting with a decent amount of carbonation. Finish is a little too bitter.

O: Overall an interesting beer, but it is quite one-dimensional and not terribly complex. Definitely worth a try though.

3.15/5  rDev -12.7%

Let me admit at the outset that I am not a particular fan of fruit beer, so take my opinion for what it is worth. But I bought this at the insistence of my six year old son, who has just learned to read and, unfortunately, knows why "Son of a Peach" is funny.

And the bottom line is that the beer isn't that bad.

It pours a very hazy orange - dare I say, peachy in color, with no head to remark on. The aroma is peachy, though is a blowzy, overripe kind of way. The flavor is sweet, with a clear peach taste, but also a curiously buttery character that, with the addition of the grainy undertone, comes off almost like buttered popcorn. In fact, once I tasted the beer, my perception of the aroma shifted from peach to buttered popcorn. Weird, but but not entirely unpleasant. The mouthfeel is quite light and there is no perceptible hop bitterness.

Is this a good beer? No, not particularly. But I could see it being refreshing on a hot, steamy day. It is fruity enough to hook beer novices, but well-crafted enough not to offend the more experienced drinkers. And it avoids the worst offense of many fruit beers, and that is to taste like it was brewed with frozen puree or artificial flavors.

3.12/5  rDev -13.6%

A - A fingers worth of slightly fizzy white head that is sa bit creamy and mixed with big chunky bubbles... Moderate retention gives way to a splotchy lace with a collar around the glass... A deeply hazed murky light auburn color... Trace carbonation rises throughout...

S - A terrific mixture of fresh and canned peaches... Apricot... Honeydew... Some very light candied sugars... Fresh baked donuts... Hints of wheat... A tad bit on the musky side... Seems odd, but I'm picking up minor notes of coffee and vanilla...

T - A mix of unripe peach and canned peaches... Grass and wheat notes... Slightly medicinal... Notes of vanilla... Shortbread...

M - Medium bodied... Slightly fizzy... Oddly astringent... A bit chalky... A bit of a dry finish... A slightly pasty coating lingers in the mouth...

D - This one starts out strong in terms of appearance and smell, but quickly goes down hill thereafter... This one seems a bit forced and I'm not sure I would accept an invitation to drink this again in the future...

3.11/5  rDev -13.9%

A - Really hazy orange-yellow beer with a small white head that didn't leave anything on the sides. Lots of fine floaty stuff in there that actually makes the beer sparkle a little bit. Kind of neat looking.

S - Smells like a wheat beer with just the slightest bit of peach taste.

T - Starts out with some fruit taste that seems a little more apricot than peach. It's not a bad fruit taste, falls a little bit flat at the end, kind of a carbonated wheat that is pretty unfulfilling. I had low expectations so it's okay for what it is.

M - Medium bodied with some tongue-biting carbonation. A bit fuller than what I was expecting.

O - Passable, but not near the realm of "good" wheat beers. Would pass on this in the future.

would not buy again . heavy on peach. not so great on the beer flavor. i mixed peach schnapps and apricot brandy with it to make it palatable so i could finish the remaining 5 bottles. my brother didn't care for it. oh well..abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwkxyz.:(

Poured a hazy orange/honey color with a good amount of sediment floating around. Thin white head. Too thin. Strong aroma of sweet peaches. Taste is mostly of peaches as well, but from a can. The kind you would taste with all the syrup. There are some bitter hops in the finish which combine weirdly with the peach flavors.

Okay, as a woman I was told that I had to, had to buy this. That I would love it since its a 'girly beer,' i.e. a fruit beer. Well, let me dispel the myth. Not all women like 'girly beers.' It had an wheat gold appearance with head when poured into the pint glass. It smelled like a peach, but I'm not sure it that was artificial or not. The taste was average for a wheat beer part of it.The mouthfeel was fine. Overall, it was average. Also, had a friend order this on draft recently and re-tasted it, and the feeling was the same.

A very simple beer, not much going for it. I'm not much for mixing beers, but this one cries out to be cut by a standard pale ale or a wit. Pours a pale amber with a thin head. Smells of unfiltered peach juice, heavy on the skins, and some soapiness. The taste is similar- starts pretty well but turns a bit tannic and acrid. Lacks some depth.

2.98/5  rDev -17.5%

Too much peach here. Too much sweetness for me. The peach is huge in the nose. There's some hop character toward the end but not too much and the alcohol is well masked by the sweet peach flavor.

2.98/5  rDev -17.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Poured into a sam adams custom glass, color is gold, fairly dense, small bubbles, head is white, dense with a mixture of small bubbles and some nice lacing along the glass.

Smell is feint pale malts, larger fruity, peach character, some light toast.

Taste begins pleasant, nice peach flavor, light malt presence, then transitions to off flavors and extreme drying character. Lingering flavors are not enticing, very dry and not balanced.

Mouthfeel is dry, bitter, not pleasant

Overall, this beer looks and starts well but the finish and flavor are off putting, too dry and not balanced, possibly a bad batch?

2.97/5  rDev -17.7%

Friend of mine got this and asked me to taste it. Murky orange pour with a small white head that fades fast. Huge peach aroma with a big syruppy peachy taste. Left a bit of an aftertaste that was hard to shake. The mouthfeel was pretty good. Overall, both my friend and I weren't big fans of this. I don't like to give bad ratings, so this was a tough decision to go ahead and rate it at all.

2.95/5  rDev -18.3%

Bottle into pint glass, from CBX.

Pours murky golden-orange, thin off-white head disappears fairly quickly into nothing.

Nose is all peaches, with an in-heavy-syrup type sweetness that's disconcertingly sugary. That's really about it, leaving me initially wondering whty this wasn't classified as a Fruit/Vegetable Beer. It's intriguingly intense, if a bit one-dimensional.

Taste is more two-dimensional, but I don't know that that's a good thing. Flavor is just dripping with peaches up front, but lacks entirely the sweetness promised in the nose. Instead, a thin but persistent bitterness towards the finish leaves the peaches tasting out of place. There may be light hints of wheat coming through, especially right at the beginning of the finish, but it's largely all peaches (some nicely authentic, some weirdly artificial) from front to back, with almost no real sweetness, which is where this falls apart. I obviously don't want it to be cloyingly sweet, I just want it to be less bitter and artificial on the finish.

Mouthfeel is thin, light but spritely carbonation, awkward bitterness on the finish.

Drinkability is pretty low for me. If you're going to do a fruit beer, do it right - see New Glarus. This is a mediocre attempt at best in my opinion.

2.9/5  rDev -19.7%

BOD 4/3/15. Pours a cloudy light medium amber with heavy particulate suspension. Virtually no head, lacing or retention. The worst head characteristics I've ever seen.

Nice nose of canned peaches over a touch of biscuit. No hop character whatsoever.

Light body with a texture slightly thicker than water. Below normal carbonation with light effervescence in the finish.

The flavor profile is weak in intensity, almost one dimensional but well balanced. It begins with weak canned peaches. The middle is where canned peaches are most intense over a mild bitterness that is accompanied with a balancing biscuit sweetness against a subtle wheat character. The finish is a slow fade of slightly bitter canned peaches.

2.9/5  rDev -19.7%

Picked up a 6pack. It was pretty pricey so I figured it must be really good. Not so much. The appearance was a hazy golden wheat color. The aroma was of peaches. Okay, good on both accounts. The taste bothered me. It was a sweet-swill. I get that it is a fruit beer, and its probably my own fault for buying it. But, I thought it was going to be more peach than sugary sucrose. The mouthfeel was fine. Overall, I would probably tell people to steer clear of this particular beer. I like some fruit beers, but this one missed the mark for me.

2.87/5  rDev -20.5%

They should call this beer "Extract of a Peach." I've never really been a big fan of RJ Rockers beers, and this is a prime example.

The appearance is a bit darker than a normal wheat beer. The smell is of peaches.

The taste is what is going to throw you to the ground -- really artificial. I don't know how much extract is added to this puppy, but they went overboard.

The mouthfeel is light and not really well carbonated.

Overall, this is an average to below average wheat beer that is slammed with extract. It's one of the reasons many beer drinkers are not big fans of fruit beers.

2.86/5  rDev -20.8%

Cloudy off orange pour with a small white head and minimal lacing. Artificial peach aroma, artificial peach flavor. Really not much else here. If you’re gonna make a peach brew at least make it taste like real, fresh peaches, not cheap, sticky sweet ones. As you may have guessed, didn’t think too much of this one. Sticky sweet finish and average carbonation. Can't believe this is their most popular beer. The girls must love it. That's probably the only market for it. The kind of girls that used to be a high school parties with wine coolers.

2.85/5  rDev -21.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a growler

A - Hazy, yellow with a light peach, orange accents to it. Had a small one finger head to it that settled down.

S - Smells like a peach ring candy with light wheat accents mixed in.

T - Frist there is a slight wheat flavors and bitterness. There are hints of the peach but not as much as is the nose. It has a bit too much of a bitter hints in the back end for my taste which seems a bit off balanced for the rest of the beer. I really wished it tasted more like it smelled

MF - Light carbonation with slightly watery mouthfeel.

O - An okay beer that isn't too bad on a hot summer day. The bitter flavors are a bit offputting and seem to make it have a bit of and off flavor.

2.85/5  rDev -21.1%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Meh. I tried this on a hot day in Florida since I thought it might hit the spot and its just not doing it for me. The aroma and taste were like the syrup from a can of peaches, which I personally don't find appetizing. I understand it says real peaches but I just wasn't tasting a fresh peach there. Maybe it was just not the right batch.

2.8/5  rDev -22.4%

A scant ¼ inch of head forms with even an aggressive pour. The beer is a cloudy dull amber color with some orange and brown highlights. Too cloudy to notice any carbonation. No lacing at all.

Smells like either cream soda or an orange/cream popsicle. Syrupy sweet. Would not pick out peach in the aroma if I didn't know.

Hmm, I think the flavor is more like orange and cream just like the aroma. I can't pretend not to know that this is brewed with peaches and it is fruity, but again, I get more orange/cream than anything else. There is a surprising bitter finish to the beer. I liken is more to orange peel vs. peach. But fruity none the less.

Mouth feel is more like soda with light carbonation. Bright/fresh. A bit sweet.

The drinkability is nice if you are looking for a hot summer beer. This is perhaps a gateway beer, but not really my style. Sometimes I buy single beers just to have fun/taste and review. Sometimes I am upset I didn't get more. This is NOT one of those times. Unless it's the only beer in the house, I'll never have this one again.

2.78/5  rDev -23%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

12 oz bottle served in a Duvel tulip.

Pours a cloud peach amber with a quickly fading soapy off white head. Aroma is canned peach syrup with light wheat and straw. Grainy wheat body with surprisingly not as much sweetness as expected. Still artificial peach sweetness dominates throughout and syrup lingers through the finish. Syrupy, medium thick body with low carbonation. Well, I enjoyed this more than I expected and it had less Jolly Rancher like quality to it than others have attributed, but still not something I'd return to.

2.73/5  rDev -24.4%

Served from tap into a standard pint. Poured a yellow-orange with one-finger white head that reduces and stays throughout. Maintains decent lacing. The aroma of this one is dominated by peaches. The flavor starts out with subtle peach with some grainy notes with the peaches intensifying upon swallowing. Overall, this is not my favorite beer from the RJ Rockers brewery. Has a nice peach followup that is quite crisp, but also has a poor flavor up front. It is not horrible, but I am not a fan.

Son Of A Peach from RJ Rockers Brewing Company