Son Of A Peach - RJ Rockers Brewing Company

South Carolina, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  6.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: mikesgroove on 02-27-2009

An unfiltered American wheat ale made with real mean peaches. The only thing missing is the fuzz. Savor the anger. Available during the late Spring and Summer months.
1.44/5  rDev -60.5%

Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a pint glass.
Aroma- Smells like artificial peaches.
Appearance- The best part of this beer. A nice murky amber colored beer with a small white head.
Taste- Absolutely terrible, it was such a train-wreck of faux peaches and wheat that I couldn't even drink this. I have finished off some amazingly bad beers in the past.
Palate- hmmm, YUCK
Overall- Terrible beer, I have had several other RJ Rocker beers and they were decent, this one is abysmal. (481 characters)

2.07/5  rDev -43.3%

A BeerSmart Review:

I always want to be fair accurate and truthful in my reviews and get right to the point. This was a deliciously looking draft, clear with a light effervescent head. It looked like an easy-to-drink, flavorful, summertime staple.

Call it a bad tap, bad batch or simply a bad beer, but the highly anticipated instant taste of peach was quickly overpowered by the taste of women's perfume. A second palate clearing sip ended with the same result. If this sounds appealing this may be your beer, but for this craft beer lover it's most definitely not.

Bottom line: UNFINISHABLE (595 characters)

2.08/5  rDev -43%

P: Hazed orangish golden body with no head.

S: Artificial peach and wheat.

T/M: More artificial peach less wheat. This reminds me of a flat peach faygo or maybe a peach flavored Mich Ultra. The carbonation was not there and the body was thin.

O: If this was not a $3 special I would have complained and sent it back. I'm highly disappointed in this considering how many people rave about this beer. I hate being so negative but I liked nothing that this beer had to offer. I wouldn't put this on your shirt list. (518 characters)

2.33/5  rDev -36.2%

I must have gotten a bad bottle or something cause this stuff was absolutely horrible.

One of only 2 craft brews I could/would not finish. Most of the time even if I don't like it I'llstill finish it but I just ccouldn't. Down the drain and like $2-$3...

the one thing that was perfect on this beer was the smell... a full nice ripe peach smell.. even the beer itself smelt semi good...

Taste.... God awfull... ugh... taste burnt or overdone on the malt... peach taste is there but nowhere near the smell.. if you ever homebrewed and you got that one bad batch where you did something wrong... well this was that...

Overall I will return to it cause I'm certain I tasted an old or just plain ol bad batch.. but if this is what this beer is than I am mortified... sad to say but Id pick a big brewery beer over this one. (823 characters)

2.4/5  rDev -34.2%

This is what happens when you try to get cute with beer. I had such high hopes for this stuff. Heard it was the iconic beer of RJ Rockers. Looked great. Smelled great. Everything seemed to be going well until I took that first sip then . . . . I'm not sure what they have done to this beer. The peach flavoring must come from the peach pit. It doesn't taste much like peaches. As much as it pains me to say it, Bud Light Lime is much better. I'm just thankful I didn't buy a growler of it. (489 characters)

2.46/5  rDev -32.6%

A: Dark amber, nearly brown color and hazy to the point of being nearly opaque. Definitely too dark for the style. Minimal head, which disappears quickly. I don't see any carbonation bubbles in the glass which is weird.

S: Smells like peaches, but more like what you get from a Jolly Rancher than a fresh peach. It smells pretty good, but it doesn't have any other complementing scents.

T: At first there's a strange bite (possibly hops), and then the peach flavor comes in to wash it away. The aftertaste is a mellow wheat and peach flavor. It's not that great of a flavor though, it has a sickly taste to it and it is under-carbonated. The only thing saving this beer is the peach flavor.

M: This is highly under-carbonated. Not only can I not see any carbonation bubbles rising in the glass (and I do mean any), but I can't taste it.

O: Overall I didn't like this beer. It has a peachy smell and taste which is nice, but it's flat! I would not recommend this beer, and will not buy it again. (998 characters)

2.6/5  rDev -28.8%

Poured a hazy orange with a finger of white head and some sparse lacing. Smells of peach obviously. Tastes more artificial/rotten peach than fresh peach. Feels good in the mouth but the taste overpowers anything good. Overall not a fan of this wheat ale. (254 characters)

2.62/5  rDev -28.2%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

On draft at The Lark, East Northport, NY.

Poured a hazy light brassy hue with a two finger foamy white head.

The smell featured full blown sweat peach nectar, and that's it.

The taste consisted of a cloyingly sweet peach nectar with a slight as semblance of wheat malt in tow. A real mess.

The mouthfeel was strangely thin and astringent.

Not a very pleasant experience. This beer should be dialed down to about 4% and feature a stronger wheat profile. (462 characters)

2.63/5  rDev -27.9%

From the bottle at SAVOR 2011. Served in a goblet.

ours a slightly-cloudy peach color with a small white head and a few spots of lacing on the way down. The nose brings peach character that is reminiscent of a Jolly Rancher. Very artificial. The taste is the same way, except it tastes like artificial sweetener as well. Too sweet and that's in a bad way. Not a fan at all. (374 characters)

2.73/5  rDev -25.2%

Served from tap into a standard pint. Poured a yellow-orange with one-finger white head that reduces and stays throughout. Maintains decent lacing. The aroma of this one is dominated by peaches. The flavor starts out with subtle peach with some grainy notes with the peaches intensifying upon swallowing. Overall, this is not my favorite beer from the RJ Rockers brewery. Has a nice peach followup that is quite crisp, but also has a poor flavor up front. It is not horrible, but I am not a fan. (495 characters)

2.78/5  rDev -23.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

12 oz bottle served in a Duvel tulip.

Pours a cloud peach amber with a quickly fading soapy off white head. Aroma is canned peach syrup with light wheat and straw. Grainy wheat body with surprisingly not as much sweetness as expected. Still artificial peach sweetness dominates throughout and syrup lingers through the finish. Syrupy, medium thick body with low carbonation. Well, I enjoyed this more than I expected and it had less Jolly Rancher like quality to it than others have attributed, but still not something I'd return to. (534 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -23.3%

A scant ¼ inch of head forms with even an aggressive pour. The beer is a cloudy dull amber color with some orange and brown highlights. Too cloudy to notice any carbonation. No lacing at all.

Smells like either cream soda or an orange/cream popsicle. Syrupy sweet. Would not pick out peach in the aroma if I didn't know.

Hmm, I think the flavor is more like orange and cream just like the aroma. I can't pretend not to know that this is brewed with peaches and it is fruity, but again, I get more orange/cream than anything else. There is a surprising bitter finish to the beer. I liken is more to orange peel vs. peach. But fruity none the less.

Mouth feel is more like soda with light carbonation. Bright/fresh. A bit sweet.

The drinkability is nice if you are looking for a hot summer beer. This is perhaps a gateway beer, but not really my style. Sometimes I buy single beers just to have fun/taste and review. Sometimes I am upset I didn't get more. This is NOT one of those times. Unless it's the only beer in the house, I'll never have this one again. (1,063 characters)

2.85/5  rDev -21.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a growler

A - Hazy, yellow with a light peach, orange accents to it. Had a small one finger head to it that settled down.

S - Smells like a peach ring candy with light wheat accents mixed in.

T - Frist there is a slight wheat flavors and bitterness. There are hints of the peach but not as much as is the nose. It has a bit too much of a bitter hints in the back end for my taste which seems a bit off balanced for the rest of the beer. I really wished it tasted more like it smelled

MF - Light carbonation with slightly watery mouthfeel.

O - An okay beer that isn't too bad on a hot summer day. The bitter flavors are a bit offputting and seem to make it have a bit of and off flavor. (703 characters)

2.85/5  rDev -21.9%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Meh. I tried this on a hot day in Florida since I thought it might hit the spot and its just not doing it for me. The aroma and taste were like the syrup from a can of peaches, which I personally don't find appetizing. I understand it says real peaches but I just wasn't tasting a fresh peach there. Maybe it was just not the right batch. (343 characters)

2.86/5  rDev -21.6%

Cloudy off orange pour with a small white head and minimal lacing. Artificial peach aroma, artificial peach flavor. Really not much else here. If you’re gonna make a peach brew at least make it taste like real, fresh peaches, not cheap, sticky sweet ones. As you may have guessed, didn’t think too much of this one. Sticky sweet finish and average carbonation. Can't believe this is their most popular beer. The girls must love it. That's probably the only market for it. The kind of girls that used to be a high school parties with wine coolers. (550 characters)

2.87/5  rDev -21.4%

They should call this beer "Extract of a Peach." I've never really been a big fan of RJ Rockers beers, and this is a prime example.

The appearance is a bit darker than a normal wheat beer. The smell is of peaches.

The taste is what is going to throw you to the ground -- really artificial. I don't know how much extract is added to this puppy, but they went overboard.

The mouthfeel is light and not really well carbonated.

Overall, this is an average to below average wheat beer that is slammed with extract. It's one of the reasons many beer drinkers are not big fans of fruit beers. (592 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -20.5%

BOD 4/3/15. Pours a cloudy light medium amber with heavy particulate suspension. Virtually no head, lacing or retention. The worst head characteristics I've ever seen.

Nice nose of canned peaches over a touch of biscuit. No hop character whatsoever.

Light body with a texture slightly thicker than water. Below normal carbonation with light effervescence in the finish.

The flavor profile is weak in intensity, almost one dimensional but well balanced. It begins with weak canned peaches. The middle is where canned peaches are most intense over a mild bitterness that is accompanied with a balancing biscuit sweetness against a subtle wheat character. The finish is a slow fade of slightly bitter canned peaches. (723 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -20.5%

Picked up a 6pack. It was pretty pricey so I figured it must be really good. Not so much. The appearance was a hazy golden wheat color. The aroma was of peaches. Okay, good on both accounts. The taste bothered me. It was a sweet-swill. I get that it is a fruit beer, and its probably my own fault for buying it. But, I thought it was going to be more peach than sugary sucrose. The mouthfeel was fine. Overall, I would probably tell people to steer clear of this particular beer. I like some fruit beers, but this one missed the mark for me. (541 characters)

2.95/5  rDev -19.2%

Bottle into pint glass, from CBX.

Pours murky golden-orange, thin off-white head disappears fairly quickly into nothing.

Nose is all peaches, with an in-heavy-syrup type sweetness that's disconcertingly sugary. That's really about it, leaving me initially wondering whty this wasn't classified as a Fruit/Vegetable Beer. It's intriguingly intense, if a bit one-dimensional.

Taste is more two-dimensional, but I don't know that that's a good thing. Flavor is just dripping with peaches up front, but lacks entirely the sweetness promised in the nose. Instead, a thin but persistent bitterness towards the finish leaves the peaches tasting out of place. There may be light hints of wheat coming through, especially right at the beginning of the finish, but it's largely all peaches (some nicely authentic, some weirdly artificial) from front to back, with almost no real sweetness, which is where this falls apart. I obviously don't want it to be cloyingly sweet, I just want it to be less bitter and artificial on the finish.

Mouthfeel is thin, light but spritely carbonation, awkward bitterness on the finish.

Drinkability is pretty low for me. If you're going to do a fruit beer, do it right - see New Glarus. This is a mediocre attempt at best in my opinion. (1,268 characters)

2.97/5  rDev -18.6%

Friend of mine got this and asked me to taste it. Murky orange pour with a small white head that fades fast. Huge peach aroma with a big syruppy peachy taste. Left a bit of an aftertaste that was hard to shake. The mouthfeel was pretty good. Overall, both my friend and I weren't big fans of this. I don't like to give bad ratings, so this was a tough decision to go ahead and rate it at all. (392 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -18.4%

Too much peach here. Too much sweetness for me. The peach is huge in the nose. There's some hop character toward the end but not too much and the alcohol is well masked by the sweet peach flavor. (195 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -18.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Poured into a sam adams custom glass, color is gold, fairly dense, small bubbles, head is white, dense with a mixture of small bubbles and some nice lacing along the glass.

Smell is feint pale malts, larger fruity, peach character, some light toast.

Taste begins pleasant, nice peach flavor, light malt presence, then transitions to off flavors and extreme drying character. Lingering flavors are not enticing, very dry and not balanced.

Mouthfeel is dry, bitter, not pleasant

Overall, this beer looks and starts well but the finish and flavor are off putting, too dry and not balanced, possibly a bad batch? (612 characters)

would not buy again . heavy on peach. not so great on the beer flavor. i mixed peach schnapps and apricot brandy with it to make it palatable so i could finish the remaining 5 bottles. my brother didn't care for it. oh well..abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwkxyz.:( (255 characters)

Poured a hazy orange/honey color with a good amount of sediment floating around. Thin white head. Too thin. Strong aroma of sweet peaches. Taste is mostly of peaches as well, but from a can. The kind you would taste with all the syrup. There are some bitter hops in the finish which combine weirdly with the peach flavors. (322 characters)

Okay, as a woman I was told that I had to, had to buy this. That I would love it since its a 'girly beer,' i.e. a fruit beer. Well, let me dispel the myth. Not all women like 'girly beers.' It had an wheat gold appearance with head when poured into the pint glass. It smelled like a peach, but I'm not sure it that was artificial or not. The taste was average for a wheat beer part of it.The mouthfeel was fine. Overall, it was average. Also, had a friend order this on draft recently and re-tasted it, and the feeling was the same. (532 characters)

Son Of A Peach from RJ Rockers Brewing Company