Son Of A Peach - RJ Rockers Brewing Company

South Carolina, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  6.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: mikesgroove on 02-27-2009

An unfiltered American wheat ale made with real mean peaches. The only thing missing is the fuzz. Savor the anger. Available during the late Spring and Summer months.
Ratings: 670 | Reviews: 192

- from the notes
12 ounce bottles
A - barely a head on an amber liquid filled glass.
S - peaches and wheat.
T - peachy sweet wheat with a slight twang.
M - light bodied with a crisp carbonation and somewhat dry finish although I did expect it to be sweeter at the back end.
D - very drinkable if you like fruit beers and in particular peaches.

3.94/5  rDev +11%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The smell of this beer is amazing with all the other elements paling in comparison. The color of the beer is interesting. Yes, it's cloudy but the bi-color peach and pinkish-orange brings to mind peach melba. The head isn't all that thick but it does stick around to the bottom of the glass.

When you get a whiff you don't want to stop smelling this beer. It smells like someone opened a can of sweet Cling peaches and poured a little bit of golden ale into it. This is addictive and I wish the taste had followed suit. The peach is still there, but dried out. The wheat helps to bring peach cobbler to your thoughts, well without the cinnamon. There is an acridness that doesn't kill the experience but I do wish it wasn't there as it messes with the mouthfeel. Otherwise this is a pretty nice beer.

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Bought a six in Greenville SC
Pours a cloudy haze with wheat sediment.
You do get the peach and wheat aroma. Like a peach cream fizz.
A medium mouthfeel and nice carbonation . It's refreshing not overwhelming.
This is an area known for their peaches and the beer is up and coming as well.
This one can be a chick beer or a summer favorite ...

3.94/5  rDev +11%

I haven't had this beer by itself, so I can't properly review it by its own merits. However, I feel that I would be remiss if I didn't suggest this:

Mix half and half Son Of A Peach and a Milk Stout (I had Duck Rabbit). What results is just the smoothest, maltiest, creamiest, peachy, mocha flavor. Highly Recommended. I typically do not enjoy a fruity beer, but another patron insisted that I try it, and even offered to pay for it if I didn't enjoy it.

3.95/5  rDev +11.3%

07/11/13 Back again. I need to walk around with a growler to drag some of this back to the cave for a porcine sacrifice or better yet go down & get some Sara Jenkins porchetta...that's the ticket, porchetta.

Jun'12 On tap. 1 year on, this remains a refreshing summer delight. Don't be fooled by the nose, it's not as brash as first blush. A welcome July quaff. At only 5.8%, depending on availability, this could become a true fav. I'm thinking backyard (who am I kidding, I live in NYC...but I can dream, can't I?) BBQ match up. Alternating with a straight ahead wheat, one could not ask for more. Did I mention pork? If not, pork!

10/12/11 On tap at Rattle n Hum, NYC. Good balance. Not sweet, not bitter very little hops, which is to my liking.

look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I had this beer on a whim. I saw it in the cooler at work as a special craft night beer. I popped it after hours and took a few sips. I figured it would be nice and refreshing and boy was I right! It was so sweet and perfect. Pale ale and had amazing peach hints through the whole experience. To me it would be an amazing summer beer. I loved it so much our local Sam's Club sales local beers and I stocked up!!! Favorite for now!

3.97/5  rDev +11.8%

RJ Rockers is my local brewery, and I have been looking foward to trying this brew. Although Im usually not a fan of American fruit beer, Wheat beer are one of my favorite styles and I love peaches as well.
An aggresive pour yields a hazy murky tea pale colored wheat brew. A light head dissapates at a quite alarming rate for a hefe.
Smells definatley of peach. A bit lemony, tart and acidic. Digging deeper, this is not truly a fresh-peach bouquet of floral freshness, rather slightly "processed" if you will. Peach candy comes to mind, as well as peach soda, or cream savers if you've had those.
At first taste, a local company used to produce a candy called Peach Buds, this is truly the liquid version. Starts a bit sweet, sugary, then finishes with a slighty acidic bit that makes the sweetness lightly dissapate. A light yeastiness in the background adds a nice creaminess to the beer rednolent of a nice juicy peach.
Given the low ABV, and light drinkablitity, this is a great summer beeer here in the hot, humid South.
If I had my choice on a hot patio outside, and were sticking to the local brewery, I would prefer to drink RJ's regular wheat ale, but when it came time to make dinner, I would break this one out. This would be excellent paired with coconut-pineapple glazed shrimp and arugula salad, pork chops with grilled peaches and balsamic reduction, or even sweet vanilla mousse. Who doesn't like peaches and cream?
Well done RJ Rockers, another tool in my culinary arsenal

3.97/5  rDev +11.8%

Looks great, big pillowy off-white head, the beer itself is golden hued and theres a ton of little flecks in the beer too. Head retention is moderate, it stays up there for quite a while and when receding it leaves splotchy islands of foam on the edges of the glass. To style it's pretty damn good.

The nose is phenomenal, peaches utterly dominate with vanilla and an almost tumeric like character taking a back seat.

Taste was relatively disappointing, I was hoping the taste would moderately resemble the smell but it's hugely lacking the peach punch I was eagerly hoping for. Just some light peach an slight hop bitterness take the point.

Mouthfeel is light watery and lively. To style, it's spot on.

Overall in the nose department it's amazing and everywhere else it kinda falls off and disappoints.

3.97/5  rDev +11.8%

A - Gold in color. Unfiltered. A lot floating around in there. Highly carbonated. Good amount of sediment in the bottom of the bottle.

S - Smells of fresh peaches.

T - I get the wheat and a good amount of peach flavor.

M - Feels great on the tongue. Light and refreshing.

O - One of my favorite summer time brews. I find it refreshing after cutting the lawn or relaxing on my patio. This years offering had a lot more floating around in my glass. Kinda weird watching those chunks working around in there. I look forward to this brew every summer.

3.99/5  rDev +12.4%

12 oz. bottle

Appearance: Pours a cloudy as hell orange/golden yellow color with a finger of a white head that dissipated quickly. Definitely unfiltered.

Smell: Best part of the beer. Smells of peaches or maybe a creamsicle. So good. I want to smell this forever.

Taste - Taste is all peach and wheat with a slight bitterness at the end.

Mouthfeel: Mouthfeel is light but it's good for the style.

Overall: One of the most interesting beers I've ever had. Not too big on wheat beers but this is really good.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

It's cloudy like pond water, though I appreciate seeing peach sediment floating in the liquid. I guess the peaches give this style quite a twist, but it looks just peachy from my perspective!

The smell is excellent. Again, it diverts from the style template but, objectively, it smells like an air freshener. The aroma leaves no doubt that this here beer's made with real peaches. They're probably from Gaffney, and smelling this beer conjures up images of the enormous peach water tower on the side of the I-85 near Spartanburg. Straight real peach.

The taste doesn't quite match the hitherto examination, probably because it's stronger than your average fruit (particularly peach) beer. It's definitely solid, but it's reminiscent of PJ days--I don't know why we called it that, but it was fruit soaked in grain alcohol. I don't even recall peaches being involved, but this beer equals peach plus alcohol. If it was just a wee bit lighter on the ethanol, it might taste even better; regardless, it's a solid peach beer. I must've made some progress with style consideration, because I might rank this beverage categorically higher if it were classified as a fruit beer....

It's that relatively potent 5.8% ABV that contributes to a slightly chalky mouthfeel. The peaches are great and, to RJ's credit, you taste them more than you feel them. I appreciate the idea of fruit beers for beer lovers (as opposed to fruity, even girly, convert-type beers), and this is undoubtedly one of those.

It is fruity, and it does have relative strength, so that makes for a weird type of drinkability judgement. I wish they'd make both a more powerful and a more subtle version--somehow add more carbonation with less ethanol production (move towards Festina Pesche) with a more pungent-peachy alcohol bomb (move toward something like Fort or the upcoming Sweetwater Blue Balls). RJ Rockers has something here, and they should roll with it.

I had this in Asheville, NC at the Thirsty Monk South. Happened to try this when a buddy ordered one. Color is amber/red. Aroma is of wheat and peaches. I'm not a huge peach fan, but this beer is refreshingly tasty. Fruit comes through well and is just sweet enough to be refreshing without being cloying. Would be a great beer on a hot day.

Smells more powerfully peachy than it tastes (which in this case is good)
Taste is pretty good balance of fruit and wheat
Overall I think it is an excellent departure of the norm since I typically don't do fruity beers.

On tap at TJ's, 4/2/11.

A-A clear orange amber with a thin white head and no lacing.

S-Sweet peaches, a bit of sweet syrup and fruit jiuce and some very subdued wheat.

T-Slightly dry maltiness with some good sweet peach flavor. Easy to drink, rather light.

O-As fruit beers go, this one is pretty nice. Pleasant in a lawnmowery sort of way.

HV

I poured this beer into a pint glass, it has a nice hazy orange color body with a very small head that doesn't hang around long. The smell is like smelling a fresh peach, also with some faint wheat notes. The taste is of a nice peach flavor with wheat in the back ground. Also has some hop bitterness to it also. The mouth feel is great, goes down easy and is refreshing. Overall i think this is a nice and tasty summer beer.

12 oz bottle, part of the "Box of Rocks" package transported from Sparkle City to Oxford. Poured into a RJ Rockers shaker.

A: Pours a hazy golden-orange color with a decent amount of sediment evident. Small white head rises and lingers for a while. Almost no lacing left behind at all.

S: Really fruity ... fresh peaches (really?), apricot, maybe a touch of pineapple. Nice wheat profile with a bit of earthiness and grass. A touch of hops in the foreground as well.

T: Despite the fruity smell, this is balanced pretty well. Peach and apricot are definitely present, but are matched with wheat, hops, and a touch of grass. Starts out sweet, transitioning to a clean earthy tasted, and finishes with a bit of sweetness and bitter hops. The fruit doesn't taste artificial, and overall it's really enjoyable.

M: Medium bodied with a fairly high level of carbonation. Spritzy and bubbly on the tongue. Slightly drying at the finish.

D: I know wheat beers don't typically rate well on BA, but this one is pretty good. I typically don't like peach flavored things (including beer), but this is done pretty well and is crisp and refreshing. It's not one that I go to often, but it's really enjoyable on a hot summer day. Fruity, crisp, clean, and refreshing ... they're easy to put down and fun to have around.

Poured into a weizen glass. The beer pours hazy golden with a thick, creamy white head and lots of visible tiny bubbles. The aroma is strongly of peach. I also get some of the malt. The peach is also strong in the flavor. There's some balacing bitterness from the hops, but it's not very strong. I also get a nice malt backbone. The body is medium with moderate carbonation. The finish is fairly clean. The drinkability is high. This is a very good beer.

Good if you like a sweet fruit beer

4.02/5  rDev +13.2%

This is a hopeful fruit beer thanks to kkipple.

A: Pours a light fizzy head over a hazy peach auburn amber colored beer.

N: Wow peach! It has canned peach at first, then some fresh juicy peach, some sweetness, peach juice, a slight hint of wheat, and I think a very slight hint of grassy hops. As it warms a bit I'm starting to get a little vanilla... weird.

T: Starts different than I expected. It has a toasty malted wheat flavor right off the bat. Some sweet thick piled wheat, with a slight germination taste. Also a slight bitterness with a hint of grassy hops and very slight earthy bitter hop taste that doesn't blend well with the rest of the flavors. Then the juicy peaches, with more juice and some sweetness, light fresh juicy peach, canned peaches, and the syrup from the canned peaches. Very refreshing though. I also get some vanilla, which is strange.

M: Lighter body with lower but decent carbonation.

F: Finishes semi bitter with more hops attacking. Grassy and earthy hops with a slight floral hop flavor. Most of the hops go well, but there's a slight unpleasant hop bitterness almost like hop extract that doesn't play well with others. It is mostly dry at this point as well, but has a slight sticky lingering sweetness like the syrup from canned peaches. Most of the peach flavor is gone as well but hints of remnants that I just chewed on peaches, but without skins and threads stuck in my teeth. Very crisp and refreshing beer, and the peaches are all up in your grill on the nose, but more subtle and juicy on the taste and even more so on the finish. So the nose is really where I would like overpowered peaches, and def not on the flavor so they hit that well.

On tap at Barley's in Asheville

A - pours a hazy orangeish yellow with a thin layer of white head.

S - smells like peaches and a hint of wheat

T - wheat, peaches, a bit sweet, peach cobbler

M - light, smooth, little carbonation

This is a decent beer that's refreshing and easily drinkable. It's worth trying.

4.03/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Glass: Shaker Pint.

Appearance: Apricot, caramel, orange color. Hazy.

Smell: Like a can of peaches or peache gummies. Sweet and delicious.

Taste: Overly sweet peaches, slightly artificial in taste. Wheat aftertaste comes through mid sip.

Mouthfeel: Oily dry finish. Medium body with light carbonation.

Overall: An easy drinking beer, great with food or on a hot day. Wish the peaches came rhrough a little more tart instead of sweet.

4.03/5  rDev +13.5%

A - A very cloudy golden color. TONS of sediment floating in the glass...obviously unfiltered. I am a sucker for sediment floating through out the beer

S - Peaches, peaches, and more peaches. That is all

T -Sweet peaches. Millions of peaches, peaches for me

M - Medium bodied, lots of carbonation

O - For those who love Peach. Seriously. It dominates everything else.

4.04/5  rDev +13.8%

Thanks to RyanC84 for the bottle.

Pours a cloudy light orange color with a small white head.

Scent of juicy ripe peaches and a bit of cream. This is a full on peach assault to the nose, and I love it.

Taste of peaches, grain, grass, and wheat. Finishes dry with a faint peach flavor. Tasty beer, but could be great with a juicier peach flavor.

Mouthfeel is light bodied with low carbonation.

4.04/5  rDev +13.8%

A - Hazy golden orange color with a white lacy carbonation head.

S - Smells of Peach cobler

T - Taste is of peach puree with wheat and a delightful hoppy finish. Not IPA hoppy, but enough to know it's there. .Lingering peach flavor on the back end as well.

M - I would say it's medium to light bodied. Just the right carbonation .

O - This type of beer is not for everyone. The massive amount of peaches steers many away. I really like it. It is quite different, but refreshing. It packs a punch for it's style at around 6%. Not an overly fan of wheat beers, but this one works for me.

4.06/5  rDev +14.4%

12 ounce bottle poured into a shaker pint. A hazy dull body is topped with just a wispy notion of a head that does manage to leave scattered specks of lacing.

Smells almost exactly like peach pie, but not nearly as sweet as the dessert. The peach presence is persistent but not powerful, a surpisingly nice complement to the base beer. Medium bodied with very modest carbonation; this seems to be the best choice to let the sublteties of the peaches shine through. A brief bite of wheat in the finish. Light toasted and peach notes linger. Fresh and flavorful.

Overall impression: A refreshing and unique take on the style. Easily recommended.

Son Of A Peach from RJ Rockers Brewing Company