Son Of A Peach - RJ Rockers Brewing Company

South Carolina, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  6.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: mikesgroove on 02-27-2009

An unfiltered American wheat ale made with real mean peaches. The only thing missing is the fuzz. Savor the anger. Available during the late Spring and Summer months.
4.09/5  rDev +11.7%

Served this beer on tap, in a pint glass. Poured a cloudy, golden color, produced a nice white head, great retention and left ample amount of lacing on the glass. The aroma consists of malted wheat, and Peaches! Medium bodied, the base of this American Wheat Ale consisted of soft malted wheat, clover honey, and fresh Peaches. Sweet and semi tart, there is not any noticeable hop flavor. The Peach aroma is stronger then the taste- it actually is a very nice balance of peach and malted wheat. There is a fine line when adding fruit to a Wheat Ale and RJ Rockers did a good job of not crossing it with this ale. (612 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +12%

Appearance: hazy well....peach juice color. Fairly thick white head.
Smell: strong, nice peach, not overpowering peach. Mostly dry. Crisp and floral.
Taste: clean peach. Crisp and balanced. A bit of sweetness but mostly dry.
Overall: you get what's advertised. Very nicely done, peach wheat. Refreshing, clean and I dig it. (324 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +12%

A: cloudy honey gold color with a peach like fuzzy look to it. The beer captures a decent head that really sticks to the glass and helps release the aroma.
S: Smells like peach tea, very natural and sweet with some notes of malt and fresh fruit.
T: Tastes like a fuzzy peach tea. The beer really has a good balance of sweetness while maintaining the bitter characteristics of a beer. Very vegetale.
D/O: Slightly heavy for a summer beer but very drinkable This manages to balance the beer/fruit thing very well while not turning into a flavored malt beverage. Very enjoyable beer for summer. (591 characters)

On tap at Mellow Mushroom in Blowing Rock, NC

Appearance: Cloudy pale/peach straw with an off-white head

Smell: Peaches and and light wheat; a bit girly but nice

Taste: Wheat and slightly tart peaches

Mouthfeel: Medium body, medium carbonation

Drinkability: Had several of these, served in mason jars, very tasty and very drinkable. Crisp, clean, and refreshing. It is peach season here. (392 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +12.6%

Had this at Fall for Greenville (Think a "Taste of ..." event).

A: hazy bronze with some head. Not a great pour from a festival worker.

S: Peaches, apricots and other fall time fruit

T: Tastes like most other wheat's until you get to the peachy afterglow. It's surprisingly refreshing on a hot festival day.

M: Light feel, but perhaps a tad too much carbonation.

Overall: I was so impressed, I had a second. Very drinkable. Not sure I would want more than 1 or 2 in a sitting, but it was a nice "walking around" beer at the Fall For Greenville "festival". (565 characters)

4.14/5  rDev +13.1%

I really like this beer. As a local to RJ's I have tried most of their beers and this is my second go-to if i want something with a little bit more flavors than the Brown-Eyed Squirrel. The peach is very present but it is not overpowering in the least. It has just enough hops ABV to keep it an enjoyable beer for BBQ's, get-togethers, etc. My favorite part of this is the aroma and after-taste. Drink from the bottle or in a glass. Either way you can't go wrong. (463 characters)

4.16/5  rDev +13.7%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a shaker pint.

A--Bright, bright apricot orange, with all sorts of sediment floating around in it. I mean, it seriously looks smoothie-like in there. Seeds, yeast--is that pulp? I'm kidding, but this is cloudy and there's definitely crap floating around. Not bad, just...different. Head is a generous two fingers of creme colored dense foam. Good retention and lacing.

S--Smells like peaches. Bright, fresh, juicy peaches. Incredible donkey punch of fruit here. Gawd almighty do I hope this doesn't taste as sweet as it smells.

T--And we're safe. Phew. This actually tastes quite good. Flavor profile is more bright peach, but much mellower, with the essence of the flavor rather than any residual sweetness taking over. Thank the sting of the wheat for that. Great interplay between the fruit and tangy wheat going on here. It's a fairly straightforward profile, but that's true to the style, and the season for which it's brewed. The ingenuity comes in with the fruit used.

M&D--Typical hefe or wit mouthfeel--thin and spritzy. Easy going. Insanely drinkable. And this is coming from a guy whose closest tolerance for fruit beers was pumpkin ale. Fruit beers generally piss me off. This one is tasty. Strong summer refresher in the wheat beer category. Kind of like an American Wit. (1,321 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +13.9%

Poured a honey gold color with a dense creamy snow white head that was genarous with lace.

Peachy malty goodness from THE PEACH STATE of South Carolina.

Very smooth peachy malty goodness again, well done.

creamy and easy drinking summer beer, for us in SC that summer is around 7 or 8 months.

I will say that this is outstanding for the style, a real lady pleaser to boot. (376 characters)

4.18/5  rDev +14.2%

I don't typically enjoy wheat beers. I usually don't even think to order them because I don't even feel like I can judge them fairly, but while visiting this brewery in SC I decided to try it.

I'm sure this beer changes from year to year because it is a seasonal. It pours very cloudy and orange. It has a very nice head though and smells sweet and peachy. I'm guessing they use frozen peaches because fresh would probably add a very inconsistant flavoring depending on the crop.

I can definitely taste the higher abv in this beer. It has a somewhat bitter finish, but think it's a great wheat beer. (603 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +14.8%

Actually cracked my first ever bottle of this one tonight. I had been wanting to try it before, but this was the first time. Served cold and poured into a pint glass, this one was consumed on 10/20/2009.

The pour was nice hazy light amber in color with a smooth overall look to it. Nice cloudiness to it and a nice head of white creeping up and over the top of the glass. Aroma is tight, loads of peach and spices coming through. Hints of cinnamon and nutmeg and loads of fresh peach notes. Nice crisp, clean flavor here. Fresh off the tree peach flavor, really very well done and I am officially impressed here. Crisp, fresh fruit, light notes of spice and a healthy dose of light grain notes. Soo friggin drinkable, wow. I really cannot say it enough, I am impressed.

Perhaps my favoite beer of theirs I have ever had. This was just sublime at times. A great, great beer. (875 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +15.6%

I like this flavor a lot and get a great scent from the beer. It could have a bit of different body to enhance flavor and more of a peach aftertaste. I would buy it again. (171 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

A - Pours an extremely murky orangish golden amber color with very little head, but pretty good lacing for this type of beer.

S - Wheat, peach and yeast notes. Pleasant, but not strong.

T - Very, very peachy. A bit tangy and syrupy tasting. If you like peaches, this will be a great tasting wheat beer for the summer months. This gets better with every sip.

M - Medium bodied, great carbonation levels, a bit chewy, the peach flavors really linger on your mouth. I really wish I had more than one of these right now.

O - This one really surprised me. This is really tasty and a great summer-style beer. I really love peaches, so I look forward to having this one again. It's very peachy and could become one of my regular summer rotation beers, enjoy! (755 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Smelled very peachy to me!! Full of initial flavor with light pleasant peach aftertaste. Decided to mix it with my favorite hefe and made a very nice fruity, but filling beer. Would definitely buy more (204 characters)

4.29/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This is a really good beer. If you like peach flavored drinks then you will like this beer. It has a gloden look to it. Their is not that much head like some beers have. The smell is really good. The taste is also really good as well. Tou actually can taste the peach flavor that it has. It is not too strong like some beers are. It is not a heavy beer, but it is also not too light at the sametime. (399 characters)

4.29/5  rDev +17.2%

This is one amazing beer received in the Under 100 BIF - only 11 reviews!

Poured into a Duvel glass with a nearly opaque orange. The head was a thick large bubble head that reduced quickly. I was a bit disappointed with the head formation. Coaxing a head is typically easy from a wheat but not in this case. I believe the fruit has caused more acidity which decreased the head retention.

The smell is of fresh, and I mean fresh, peaches. Being from the south I can definately appreciate this aroma. There is absolutely no hop aroma which is not unusual for a wheat beer. I would like to smell more wheat backbone and less peach nectar honey aroma.

The flavors are of a mead and wheat/fruit beer mixture. If there's not honey in this one I'd be surpised - there is that dry yet sweet flavor. Obviously peaches, peaches, and more peaches are tasted but more than that is a sweet wheat/malt flavor that is extremely long.

The mouthfeel is robust and clingy compared to many wheat beers I've tried. The residual sugars make this somewhat sticky and a little syrupy even.

The low alcohol and great flavor makes this fruit wheat beer a joy to drink. I only have 1 but I'd gladly put away two or three of these bad boys. (1,218 characters)

4.31/5  rDev +17.8%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

174 calories per bottle at 6% ABV. Not a bad fruit flavored seasonal. The peach taste is not too lite or too strong. I could last through a 6'er with this one. The best part is there is no over dose of sweetness and the aftertaste is works, which seems to be main problem with a fruit flavored beer. I would buy again. (318 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +19.4%

I poured a bottle into a mug.

Appearance- Cloudy golden color with two and a half fingers worth of foamy head. Great head retention with a nice amount of lacing.

Smell- Nothing but peaches.

Taste- Peach and wheat flavor with a slight hoppy finish. The peach flavor is not as strong as the smell.

Mouthfeel- Medium bodied with a nice amount of carbonation. Very crisp.

Overall- A very good fruit beer. If you are a fan of this style then you must try this one. (464 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +19.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Shows up cloudy and orange with a creamy white head. Amazing retention but not a lot of lace.
Smell is full of sweet peaches and malt.
Taste is malty, peachy with hints of clove and pepper.
Rich, smooth and delicious. Medium effervescence with q fuller than medium body. Peachy aftertaste but not overwhelmingly so. Drink one, it makes a great dessert. (352 characters)

4.41/5  rDev +20.5%

A Pours orange, cloudy and with a thin foam head. Minimal lacing. Sediment visible in glass.

S - The peach scent is incerdible. Smells natural, sweet, and inviting. A secondary wheat aroma is there too; smells like cooked pasta.

T - Flavors of peach are forefront. There is a bit of tangy citrus and grain taste as well. Just lots of flavor and if you like peaches you will love this.

M - Smooth flavors, a bit of a gritty feel to it. Light bodied.

O - This is a variant of what Cigar City does with Peach Jai-Alai. I think this is equally as good though as a different style. Really enjoying these folks from SC. (617 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +20.8%

Finally able to try this one on tap and was very excited. I've reviewd a couple Rockers brews before, and since they are my local beer I may be a little biased, but this one was really unique. It has a cloudy color, obviously unfiltered; I'd compare its appearance to an apple cider (which was cool). Aroma is full of peaches. I've tried a lot of fruit beers (namely blueberry ales) that smell "fake", but this aroma seems really authentic. Taste has a little peach to it, but not as much as you would expect going off the aroma. Just a little bit alcohol as well which I didn't expect. I'm told the abv is 5.8%. Overall a very refreshing, interesting beer and one that I plan on drinking by the 6 pack over the summer. Can't wait for its release in bottles. (758 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +20.8%

One of the pleasant surprises of my first trip to the Myrtle, SC area. The basket of peaches we picked up at the flea market was good too!

Appearance - a very cloudy, dare I say 'fuzzy' pour. Peachy color for sure, a finger of flat-white foam.

Aroma - pure peach. Intense, fruity and fresh. Good stuff.

Taste - a fair but negligible base malt, some grainy sweetness. Nearly no identity to it though, as the sweet peach flavor is fairly immediate and dominating. The peach flavor is on the sweeter side but with lots of supporting fruitiness. A nice bit of hop balance on the swallow, and the peach stays to the very end.

Mouthfeel - smooth stuff, not too heavy, modestly carbonated.

Drinkability - a fine summer brew, very smooth and easy to knock back. Popular with all but the the most diligent of fruit beer nazis, lol. (827 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +21.6%

A: Ultra cloudy, honey-straw color. Looks like unfiltered apple cider from a roadside stand. A thin tan film of foam with no lacing.

A: PEACHES!

T&M: Light bodied. Peaches all the way. Some underlying wheat and malt. Very nice peach wheat ale. Fresh peaches undoubtedly.

I don't necesarily enjoy peaches, but this is not over the top or under the radar. It is what it is and an excellent recipe! (399 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +23%

Pours a hazy, bright orange with a nice looking white head. Smells strongly of peaches, which is a good thing, and also a faint aroma of wheat, just enough to let you know that this is indeed a wheat beer. The taste is something to get very excited about. The peach flavour comes through very strongly, without at all being off-putting. After a few minutes pure amazement at the peach, my head returns from the clouds and the rest of the taste comes through, with a lot of other fruity and flowery notes. The aftertaste is a very sweet peach. The body is not too full but not too light either, very good for this type of beer. The all-around greatness of this will keep me reaching for more and more, especially during the sweltering summer heat. (746 characters)

4.51/5  rDev +23.2%

A great tasting peach wheat ale light in color with an amazing taste very sweet goes great w a salty pretzel ,but I only like to drink one because it's so so sweet most fruity beers are I only wish I like the rest of RJ Rockers beers which don't do,anything for me and my beer buddy's (284 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +24%

SouthernBelle reviewed this one saying that some beer geeks out here may not give this a fair shake. Well, I'm a beer geek, a brewer, a BJCP certified judge, and a beer lover, and I'm about to give this one a very fair shake!

I had three bottles of this beer bottled from a keg of the second batch. I managed to stretch them over three days in order to be sure that my mood at the moment of tasting did not control my impressions. The following observations are an amalgam of those three tastings. One quick note: although at the time of this review the listing on BA categorizes this beer as an American Pale Ale, it is actually an American Pale Wheat Ale (according to the brewer and my taste buds). BA should probably fix this, but you need to understand that going into the review.

Appearance: excellent color (probably in the 3 to 6 SRM range), and a delicate white head. I believe this is an unfiltered product, and had the characteristic cloudiness of a wheat-based fruit beer.

Aroma: peach, peach, peach. The wheat beer that forms the base of this offering is present as an American wheat beer and so does not produce the esters and aromatics of its German cousins. The aroma is very clean, with the peach also displaying mango, pineapple, and apricot undertones. The hops are subdued in the aroma to allow the fruit to blossom. No diacetyl noticeable.

Flavor: again, the peach is up front on the palate, followed by a pleasant sweetness and the graininess of the wheat beer. The IBUs could be slightly higher to counter the sweet, but it is not out of balance as is. What is most important here is that the fruit and the underlying wheat beer are in excellent balance -- the fruit is not cloying, but it is very much present in harmony with the wheat. There is very little malitness, alcohol, or diacetyl present to distract the attention from the fruit and wheat.

Mouthfeel: medium-light body; carbonation level is present by not explosive. No alcohol warming.

Overall Impression: we have here a harmonious marriage of fruit and beer. The choice of peach is the perfect compliment to the American wheat beer, and it is well-presented. Perfect spring and summer beer. (2,185 characters)

Son Of A Peach from RJ Rockers Brewing Company