Son Of A Peach | RJ Rockers Brewing Company

good

RJ Rockers Brewing Company
South Carolina, United States | website

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

An unfiltered American wheat ale made with real mean peaches. The only thing missing is the fuzz. Savor the anger. Available during the late Spring and Summer months.

Added by mikesgroove on 02-27-2009

Reviews: 188 | Ratings: 719
3.6/5  rDev -0.6%

Served on draft at Laura Alberts in Daniel Island (Charleston), SC.

Goes into the glass from the tap a cloudy, dark pach color. Small head that diminishes to a ring around the collar.

Aroma is peachy for sure. Smells a lot like triple sec liquor.

Flavor is a bit odd. It tastes like a float made with vanilla ice cream and peach shnapps. The peach flavor seem artificial and is quite strong.

Creamy mouthfeel with lower carbonation for the style. I could handle mybe two of these but the sweet peach flavor would get old in a hurry.

3.61/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle served in a pint glass.

A - a cloudy light orange with visible particles in suspension and settling on the bottom. Looks thick. Has an off-white head with limited retention.

Aroma: Peach pie! Really strong impression of peach pie nearly hides some subtle notes of baked bread and light toasted grain. Smells very sweet.

T - Some sweetness in the taste, but a bit more tartness and some bitterness. Peach flavor remains, but becomes more like a liquor and less like a pie compared to the aroma. A tart wheat ale taste finally emerges in the finish and aftertaste, accompanied by canned peaches.

M: medium-to-full bodied; good carbonation level. Despite a near syrupy feel, there's some dryness on the finish.

O - a very peachy ale: a good candidate for the official state beer of SC.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Picked this up at macadoodles in Joplin

Pours a hazed bronze color with a thumb of cream colored head. Above average lacing & head retention

S: Peaches, apricots & apple blossoms

T: Peaches, pears & floral notes up front, along with a touch of herbal hops & crackery notes, plus much tartness. Sweetness is swept away as this warms, which is good, by tartness & dryness, peach sweetness tries to battle back. Finishes dry, fruitty & faint honey notes

MF: Light/medium bodied with fairly lively carbonation

Drinks pretty easy but still a bit too fruitty & sweet to session on, but 2 or 3 would not go amiss, not bad

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

was about finish the last bottle of a six pack I got awhile back and realized I hadn't reviewed this one yet.

Poured from 12oz bottle into pint glass

A-poured a very cloudy ochre with about a 2 finger head that lasted quite a long time leaving a lot of lacing

S-lots of peaches in the smell not much else

T-light flavors of peaches like the smell just not much else to go along with it

M-nice carbonation give a good medium body

O-not bad nothing to get too excited about though but makes a nice refreshing brew for something a little different

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served in a frosty pint glass. Pours hazy orange with one finger head that settled down to a ring and left light lacing.

Smells like peaches, more than I had even expected.

Tastes like peaches then a contrasting bitterness, but if it weren't for the bitterness it would be too sweet. So it actually has good balance.

Light to medium bodied with good carbonation. A refreshing beverage.

Overall very drinkable, but maybe a little "girly". Finally I may have found a beer my wife will like. I'll have to see if I can find some bottles of this to take home.

12 oz bottle poured into a snifter - fridge - 2009

Appearance: Pours a very hazy, muddy orange color, like a peach poured right into a glass. The head only rises 1/4" and is slightly off-white. It dies quickly and only spots of lace are left behind.

Smell: Quite peachy. I mixes well with the wheat aromas. The beer really does smell like fresh, ripe peaches.

Taste: Fresh peach, but not over the top, which actually lets the wheat flavors shine through. Sweet but not cloying, earthy but not dirty.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, coating mouthfeel, smooth drinking with a lingering booziness at the end. Enough to keep you wanting more.

Drinkability: A refreshing wheat beer that could satisfy all kinds of beer drinkers. The peach is authentic without being too candy-like. I'd reach for this if available.

3.64/5  rDev +0.6%

A: Hazy, amber/gold color. Thin head, zero lacing

S: Peaches and some more peaches

T: A whole lotta peaches and nothing else.

M: exploding peaches. Heavily carbonated which actually compliments the peaches.

Overall: I'm not a huge peach person, but this was a very solid peach wheat. Sure it was overpowering, but it was over powering in a good way. Would love to try it on draft.

3.65/5  rDev +0.8%

A - Poured out a very clear, golden/orange color with a little white head. It left little to no lace.

S - It smelled of peach and wheat. Strong on the peach.

T - Nice balance of peach and wheat. Very sweet with little spice or yeastiness.

M - It was crisp and very sharp. A light bodied ale with a dry finish.

D - This is an okay wheat ale. The peach isn't overpowering like some fruit wheats can be.

3.65/5  rDev +0.8%

Appearance: Hazy gold.honey. Head is white and has almost no retention. Drops to a tiny cap and a slightly bigger, chunkier collar. Some vestiges of lacing.

Smell: Peach flesh, peach juice. Nice building fruit sweetness layered over a mild wheat tang. Almost smells like peach gummi rings. Juicy fresh fruit. A little bit of sugary sweetness. Nice balance of pale malts and wheat. A little grassiness as it warms up. Really all about the fresh peach goodness.

Taste: Mild grassy hops. Nice balance of wheat and pale malts. Cracker-like pale malts. Crisp breadiness. Peach flavor is less dominant than the nose would indicate. Nice fresh, juicy peach flesh plays up front and drops to the malt backbone in quick order. Incredibly clean. Some building earthiness as well.

Mouthfeel: Light, crisp, and refreshing. Moderate carbonation. Incredibly easy to drink.

Overall: You could do a lot worse when drinking this style with fruit.

Nice use of fruit. Balances well. Smells like deliciousness, but drinks a little shy of that goal. Bonus points for being refreshing.

3.65/5  rDev +0.8%

Third in the RJ Rockers variety case.
A- This looks just like a glass of unpasteurized apple cider. Brownish -yellow, no carbonation, cloudy and no head.
S- Heavy peach aroma, not like a fresh peach more like sweet peach candy.
T- Strong peach aroma is not as strong in the flavor, however it does win out over the dull American wheat flavor I'm never real fond of. The peach flavor does hang around well after drinking, nice aftertaste.
MO- As far a fruit beers go this one is pretty good, a nice change of pace. I don't know if I would go looking for another one though.

3.65/5  rDev +0.8%

A- nice peachy color here, really gets the thing started on a peach-note. Surpeisingly good head retention and really sticky lacing throughout.

S- Peaches. Not much else to report here, no wheat or yeast. Maybe a little bit of a peaches and cream smell. Smells great though, but one dimensional.

T- falls short of the smell, tastes a little watered down, but still really refreshing.

O- this is an incredibly quaffable session beer for the summertime. I wish it had more dimension to it, like some tartness or hops, which would really round out this brew.

3.66/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Still new to the beer scene, good friend took me to a bar to try some seasonals. This was one of my first seasonal craft beer experiences, so i'll try to be accurate.
A- Very warm color, almost peachy tints. Little head retention noted, left a small ring of beige-white foam.
S- if this were a cologne, i'd wear it. smells absolutely amazing, fruit notes right off the bat with a good herbal note.
T- Not quite what was expected, first got a mouth of sweet peach flavor, almost candy like. the one thing that killed me, is that my friend said it reminds her of sunscreen. for the rest of the night i could not forget this on my palate as i drank. Finish was almost nutty, maybe almond?
M- almost slippery when rolled around, leaves a slight film but isn't unpleasant at all. feels rather refreshing on the tongue
O- As a first experience, this was not a bad one for seasonal beer. I would certainly drink this again given the opportunity but at the same time i will not go ape-crazy for it when i see it on tap. If you're into fruit flavored beer, this might be right up your alley.

3.67/5  rDev +1.4%

Another bottle from and another nod to: JohnQVegas. Thanks Dustin-- you have been an excellent off-season pickup and I'm glad to have added you to my trading team.

This pours.... oddly enough, kind of peach colored. Nearly white head is thin with really fine bubbles and a sparkley lacing. Some sediment on the bottom-- little dark dots, like ground up vanilla beans.

The first sip is very unsettling. It made me not want to take another. Once I got past that first sip though, I wam surprised how easy drinking this it.

Smells of peaches and apricots... actually reminds me of Jolly Rancher candies. After a few more sips, all I smell are those gummy peaches-- Peachy-Os I think they are called. This smells AMAZING now that it opened up a little. Wow. I'm loving that smell--- too bad this is categorized a pale wheat instead of a fruit beer.

I didn't really like this at first, but it has grown on me. The feel is certainly decent. I'm not the biggest fan of peach flavor, but this isn't too bad. This is really easy drinking despite the giant sweetness that creeps up on me. I do wish this had a little tartness to it to cut through the sweet, but alas... I guess I just need to buy some more Festina Peche.

3.67/5  rDev +1.4%

Never really heard of a peach flavored beer that wasn't a lambic so I thought I would give this one a try. It pours just like most wheat beers....light golden, unfiltered, medium head on it. But what got me was the smell of this one, it reeks of fresh peaches and smells of peach cobbler. It was pretty impressive and very nice. So I thought that drinking it would be way too overpowering with peach flavors, but it was actually the opposite. The peach flavor wasn't too strong and had just enough so you could get flavor of the peaches and didn't take over the beer's flavor. Overall it finished very light and easily drinkable. It is a good spin on a wheat beer with a good flavor profile. Don't know if I'll have this one again, because I'm not too into fruit beers, but if you are then this one I would say is a must try.

3.68/5  rDev +1.7%

I have had this beer both on tap and in a bottle. It is completely different on tap! The bottle left me with a bad after taste and sort of stale. On draft, the beer is very smooth with a burst of peach flavor! Overall, I enjoy the beer, but prefer their Black Pearle and Fish Paralyzer. I had this at the RJ Rockers Brewery

3.68/5  rDev +1.7%

Served in an Ayinger weizen glass.

That peach looks awfully mean. Still, this beer pours a cloudy orange (almost axactly like the meat of the color's eponymous fruit) topped by a half-finger of white micro-foam. The nose comprises peach (bestill my shocked heart), wheat (whoa now, more surprises?), and a nice, creamy vanilla. The taste holds notes of wheat, rice, peach skin, and a vanilla-esque cream. Honestly, I was hoping for a bit more peachiness, but at least they didn't go overboard (I guess). The body is light, with moderate carbonation and a slightly grainy feel. One of the better fruity wheats I've yet had.

3.69/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is a pretty tasty peach ale. it's not going to blow you away, but for those who like the taste of peach this is a solid choice. just wish it had a little more carbonation as it felt slightly flat to me.

3.71/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 ounce bottle. Served in a pint glass, the beer pours a cloudy golden/orange color with an inch off-white head that didn't stay around for too long. There's a small amount of lacing left on the glass. The beer smells mostly like peaches and peach syrup, and a bit of wheat. I like the aroma of this brew a lot. However, the taste isn't quite as nice. The peach taste seems more artificial to me, and there's a lingering bitter finish. Mouthfeel/body is light/medium, it's a bit slick and has a good level of carbonation. It's a decent enough brew overall. I think it's also overpriced at $10.99 a 6-pack, but I won't have any problems finishing it. I would buy this again, but just not at that price.

3.71/5  rDev +2.5%

a: cloudy, orange amber, not much head at all. I guess you could say that the cloudiness is consistent with the base beer being a wheat, but it is a bit dull and muddy

s: fresh peach is quite noticible

t: peach, nicely balanced with sweet, not much else until just a bit of a bitter edge at the finish to let you know that there are some hops there as well

m: medium, smooth, not as carbonated as you might expect in a wheat

d: overall this is a simple, refreshing, and uncomplicated beer. very easy to drink.

Thanks to jpmclaug for setting me up with this!

3.72/5  rDev +2.8%

A: Pours a cloudy golden orange in color with a significant amount of sediment in suspension in the bottom half of the beer. The beer has a finger tall foamy off-white head that reduces quickly to a patch of thin film towards the center of the beer and a thicker ring at the edges of the glass. Very light lacing is observed.

S: The smell of this beer is great - strong aromas of peaches just like you would find at a farmer's market anywhere in the South in summertime. Wonderful peach sweetness...

T: The flavor of this beer is rather mild with some lingering bitterness. There is very little of the peach sweetness from the smell in the flavor and a light amount of wheat notes. Some light notes of peach which tastes quite natural, not artificial like you often find.

M: Light to medium bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation.

O: Light and easy to drink, along with being refreshing. I was a little disappointed by how light the peach flavors were though I appreciate the fact that the beer was not overly sweet or artificially flavored. The smell of this beer is very inviting.

3.72/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This was a house recommendation by the proprietress of Mari's Six Pac 'n' Mor in Reading during my most recent foray up that way. Let's see how it pans out.

What are "mean peaches"? Are they like "Mean Girls"?

My angry pour resulted in a finger of bubbly, tawny head with decent retention. Unfiltered, indeed! It was a cloudy orangish-amber in color which made me angry. I feel a mean drunk coming on. Nose was as peachy as Georgia and trying to decide how much of that was "real peaches" and how much was "natural flavor added" just made me angry. Mouthfeel was soft and the peaches almost had a preserve-like sweetness that was thankfully offset by the wheat or I might have been angry. Finish was slightly tart, but definitely peachy. It all added up to a beer that made me mean and angry enough to fire the empty bottle through my neighbor's window. Now, I've got the fuzz to boot!

3.72/5  rDev +2.8%

Served in a wine glass. Beer is amber with haze with a tiny white head and some lacing on the glass.

Beer smells like peach candy, very strong, if you like peaches you'll love this aroma.

Beer is super thin and tastes like candy has been dissolved in the beer. This worked in the aroma for me but not in the flavor. It is sweet and peachy and not much else. I'd be interested if this was sweetened artificially. Oh well.

3.74/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I graded this beer lower based off of that the label states it is an wheat ale, but nothing about this beer drinks like a wheat ale. It is light in the body, smells like artificial flavoring out that you get with soda pop, it has a thin mouth feel. The taste of the peaches though it is worth a try if you like peaches, but not worth trying if your looking for a good American wheat ale

3.74/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: The beer is cloudy very dark yellow in color and has some subtle hints of orange. It poured with a thin off white head.
S: There are strong aromas of fresh peaches in the nose—almost so real that you can feel the peach fuzz.
T: The taste is similar to the smell but doesn’t have as strong flavors. There is little if any sweetness and more hints of bitterness.
M: It feels light- to medium-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: The beer is quite light and refreshing. Despite all of the peaches, it’s not that difficult to drink because the flavor isn’t artificially sweet.

3.75/5  rDev +3.6%

I was surprised to see an offering from South Carolina at my local grocer, and this my first time crossing the state line.

When I poured this one into my pint glass, the aroma of peach was very strong, and the head was fairly ivory colored, which tells me that they could have overdone the spice elements. The color was what I expected, an unfiltered cloud of wheat that would go well with a swiss cheese and fruit salad. However, the freshness of this beer was quite refreshing for my palate and my mind, as I have been drinking predominately lagers recently.

When I tasted it, the peach and biscuit malt taste was on top, with the hops not too pronounced, pretty much what to expect from fruit flavored beers. It reminds me of a peach Blue Moon, if there ever was such a thing.

After this beer was done, I made a mental note to get a good Belgian white with no fruit. Time to get back to basics.

Son Of A Peach from RJ Rockers Brewing Company