Son Of A Peach - RJ Rockers Brewing Company

South Carolina, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  6.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: mikesgroove on 02-27-2009

An unfiltered American wheat ale made with real mean peaches. The only thing missing is the fuzz. Savor the anger. Available during the late Spring and Summer months.
4.16/5  rDev +14%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a shaker pint.

A--Bright, bright apricot orange, with all sorts of sediment floating around in it. I mean, it seriously looks smoothie-like in there. Seeds, yeast--is that pulp? I'm kidding, but this is cloudy and there's definitely crap floating around. Not bad, just...different. Head is a generous two fingers of creme colored dense foam. Good retention and lacing.

S--Smells like peaches. Bright, fresh, juicy peaches. Incredible donkey punch of fruit here. Gawd almighty do I hope this doesn't taste as sweet as it smells.

T--And we're safe. Phew. This actually tastes quite good. Flavor profile is more bright peach, but much mellower, with the essence of the flavor rather than any residual sweetness taking over. Thank the sting of the wheat for that. Great interplay between the fruit and tangy wheat going on here. It's a fairly straightforward profile, but that's true to the style, and the season for which it's brewed. The ingenuity comes in with the fruit used.

M&D--Typical hefe or wit mouthfeel--thin and spritzy. Easy going. Insanely drinkable. And this is coming from a guy whose closest tolerance for fruit beers was pumpkin ale. Fruit beers generally piss me off. This one is tasty. Strong summer refresher in the wheat beer category. Kind of like an American Wit. (1,321 characters)

3.79/5  rDev +3.8%

Ahh, RJ Rockers... I'm actually surprised to be reviewing one of their beers. Down here in their home state of South Carolina, they're rather maligned by the beer geeks... perhaps unfairly, but I've never enjoyed their beers. Until Son of a Peach!

A. Cloudy, hazy and appears to be bottle conditioned. There is a LOT of sediment floating in this dingy deep yellow brew. There's a wheaty white head that fades but refuses to die completely, and the beer itself is charmingly ugly.

S. Bryers peach ice cream. Sweet and creamy. That's honestly about it. Odd, I know.

T. Huh, this is interesting... this isn't just a peach beer, it's a peaches & cream beer... think peaches over ice cream, peaches with cool whip... it's got a real sweet peachness to it that is backed by some bittering hops and a little citrus character, but nothing too big. The finish, oddly, is bitter and just leaves a faint impression of peach, like all the sugar was sucked out. I'm not quite sure how to explain it, but if you love peaches you should be a-okay here.

M. Wet and somewhat lowly carbonated from the bottle. Finish is sour and just a bit medicinal with lots of peach flavor, but little sweetness.

D. Not bad at all... drink more than a few of these and the sweetness will get ya, but I blended it 50/50 with Oberon and it was absolutely delightful. I like it and will buy it again next year.

RJ Rockers, you are capable of making good beer. I admit it. (1,442 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +23.3%

Pours a hazy, bright orange with a nice looking white head. Smells strongly of peaches, which is a good thing, and also a faint aroma of wheat, just enough to let you know that this is indeed a wheat beer. The taste is something to get very excited about. The peach flavour comes through very strongly, without at all being off-putting. After a few minutes pure amazement at the peach, my head returns from the clouds and the rest of the taste comes through, with a lot of other fruity and flowery notes. The aftertaste is a very sweet peach. The body is not too full but not too light either, very good for this type of beer. The all-around greatness of this will keep me reaching for more and more, especially during the sweltering summer heat. (746 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +15.1%

Actually cracked my first ever bottle of this one tonight. I had been wanting to try it before, but this was the first time. Served cold and poured into a pint glass, this one was consumed on 10/20/2009.

The pour was nice hazy light amber in color with a smooth overall look to it. Nice cloudiness to it and a nice head of white creeping up and over the top of the glass. Aroma is tight, loads of peach and spices coming through. Hints of cinnamon and nutmeg and loads of fresh peach notes. Nice crisp, clean flavor here. Fresh off the tree peach flavor, really very well done and I am officially impressed here. Crisp, fresh fruit, light notes of spice and a healthy dose of light grain notes. Soo friggin drinkable, wow. I really cannot say it enough, I am impressed.

Perhaps my favoite beer of theirs I have ever had. This was just sublime at times. A great, great beer. (875 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +12.9%

Had this at Fall for Greenville (Think a "Taste of ..." event).

A: hazy bronze with some head. Not a great pour from a festival worker.

S: Peaches, apricots and other fall time fruit

T: Tastes like most other wheat's until you get to the peachy afterglow. It's surprisingly refreshing on a hot festival day.

M: Light feel, but perhaps a tad too much carbonation.

Overall: I was so impressed, I had a second. Very drinkable. Not sure I would want more than 1 or 2 in a sitting, but it was a nice "walking around" beer at the Fall For Greenville "festival". (565 characters)

3.62/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Picked this up at macadoodles in Joplin

Pours a hazed bronze color with a thumb of cream colored head. Above average lacing & head retention

S: Peaches, apricots & apple blossoms

T: Peaches, pears & floral notes up front, along with a touch of herbal hops & crackery notes, plus much tartness. Sweetness is swept away as this warms, which is good, by tartness & dryness, peach sweetness tries to battle back. Finishes dry, fruitty & faint honey notes

MF: Light/medium bodied with fairly lively carbonation

Drinks pretty easy but still a bit too fruitty & sweet to session on, but 2 or 3 would not go amiss, not bad (619 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

It's cloudy like pond water, though I appreciate seeing peach sediment floating in the liquid. I guess the peaches give this style quite a twist, but it looks just peachy from my perspective!

The smell is excellent. Again, it diverts from the style template but, objectively, it smells like an air freshener. The aroma leaves no doubt that this here beer's made with real peaches. They're probably from Gaffney, and smelling this beer conjures up images of the enormous peach water tower on the side of the I-85 near Spartanburg. Straight real peach.

The taste doesn't quite match the hitherto examination, probably because it's stronger than your average fruit (particularly peach) beer. It's definitely solid, but it's reminiscent of PJ days--I don't know why we called it that, but it was fruit soaked in grain alcohol. I don't even recall peaches being involved, but this beer equals peach plus alcohol. If it was just a wee bit lighter on the ethanol, it might taste even better; regardless, it's a solid peach beer. I must've made some progress with style consideration, because I might rank this beverage categorically higher if it were classified as a fruit beer....

It's that relatively potent 5.8% ABV that contributes to a slightly chalky mouthfeel. The peaches are great and, to RJ's credit, you taste them more than you feel them. I appreciate the idea of fruit beers for beer lovers (as opposed to fruity, even girly, convert-type beers), and this is undoubtedly one of those.

It is fruity, and it does have relative strength, so that makes for a weird type of drinkability judgement. I wish they'd make both a more powerful and a more subtle version--somehow add more carbonation with less ethanol production (move towards Festina Pesche) with a more pungent-peachy alcohol bomb (move toward something like Fort or the upcoming Sweetwater Blue Balls). RJ Rockers has something here, and they should roll with it. (1,931 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -6%

Pours an opaque peachy, orange-yellow. Nice head that falls quickly to a thin ring and even thinner cap.
Somewhat subtle aroma. The combo of peaches and grains give an almost coconut/tropical aroma. The peach is pretty dominant, with the grain and spice aromas coming in a little later.
The peach flavor is definitely not subtle. It comes on strong, but not sweet as a syrup. Again, the peach/grain combo give a tropical flavor. Grain and spice round out the flavors.
Medium-bodied.
Fairly drinkable. It's not cloying as you would expect from a fruit flavored beer. It's probably only good for one at a time, though.
Better than I was expecting. Good enough to give it a try, but I probably wouldn't by a sixer of this unless someone asked for it. (747 characters)

3.42/5  rDev -6.3%

Pours a cloudy maize color. 1/4 inch head of a white color. Good retention and slight lacing. Smells of amazingly fresh and strong peaches, yeast, and sweet malt. Fits the style of an American Pale Wheat Ale. Mouth feel is smooth and crisp with a low carbonation level. There is a strong tartness/acidity associated with this brew. Tastes of peaches up front and throughout, tart malt, yeast, slight sweet malt, and very slight hop. Overall, the peaches taste really fresh and strong, but they are either overpowering the other beer flavors or this beer lacks complexity. (571 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -13.7%

Let me admit at the outset that I am not a particular fan of fruit beer, so take my opinion for what it is worth. But I bought this at the insistence of my six year old son, who has just learned to read and, unfortunately, knows why "Son of a Peach" is funny.

And the bottom line is that the beer isn't that bad.

It pours a very hazy orange - dare I say, peachy in color, with no head to remark on. The aroma is peachy, though is a blowzy, overripe kind of way. The flavor is sweet, with a clear peach taste, but also a curiously buttery character that, with the addition of the grainy undertone, comes off almost like buttered popcorn. In fact, once I tasted the beer, my perception of the aroma shifted from peach to buttered popcorn. Weird, but but not entirely unpleasant. The mouthfeel is quite light and there is no perceptible hop bitterness.

Is this a good beer? No, not particularly. But I could see it being refreshing on a hot, steamy day. It is fruity enough to hook beer novices, but well-crafted enough not to offend the more experienced drinkers. And it avoids the worst offense of many fruit beers, and that is to taste like it was brewed with frozen puree or artificial flavors. (1,198 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Better than I was expecting.
Mean lookin' kid/peach hybrid thingie on the bottle. nice!
Poured out of the bottle into a pint glass.
Murky copper/gold/orange. Small white head.
Nose is peach flesh and gentle wheat.
Taste is sharp peach extract, a wheat undercurrent, and slightly tangy metal/spice flavors. Average mouthfeel. Nice for a fruit beer. The peach and wheat go well together. (385 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -23.3%

A scant ¼ inch of head forms with even an aggressive pour. The beer is a cloudy dull amber color with some orange and brown highlights. Too cloudy to notice any carbonation. No lacing at all.

Smells like either cream soda or an orange/cream popsicle. Syrupy sweet. Would not pick out peach in the aroma if I didn't know.

Hmm, I think the flavor is more like orange and cream just like the aroma. I can't pretend not to know that this is brewed with peaches and it is fruity, but again, I get more orange/cream than anything else. There is a surprising bitter finish to the beer. I liken is more to orange peel vs. peach. But fruity none the less.

Mouth feel is more like soda with light carbonation. Bright/fresh. A bit sweet.

The drinkability is nice if you are looking for a hot summer beer. This is perhaps a gateway beer, but not really my style. Sometimes I buy single beers just to have fun/taste and review. Sometimes I am upset I didn't get more. This is NOT one of those times. Unless it's the only beer in the house, I'll never have this one again. (1,063 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -1.4%

Served on draft at Laura Alberts in Daniel Island (Charleston), SC.

Goes into the glass from the tap a cloudy, dark pach color. Small head that diminishes to a ring around the collar.

Aroma is peachy for sure. Smells a lot like triple sec liquor.

Flavor is a bit odd. It tastes like a float made with vanilla ice cream and peach shnapps. The peach flavor seem artificial and is quite strong.

Creamy mouthfeel with lower carbonation for the style. I could handle mybe two of these but the sweet peach flavor would get old in a hurry. (537 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +11.5%

12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a hazy...well...peach color I guess, with a finger of foamy brite-white head. Retains with a thin fizzy layer that skims the surface, throwing some light patchy lace up on the sides of the glass which sticks a bit. The aroma is straight up peaches with a sugary malt sweetness behind it, which gives it an extra juicy feel in the nose. Plenty of grainy wheat and floral hops glides along the back as well. Very fresh and delicious smelling.

The peach is a little more subtle in the taste, with the sweetness of the malts emerging first and then being quickly followed by a firm blast of lightly spicy hop bitterness. The peach flavors finally really come out in the finish before fading into a lingering dry and spicy feel. The mouthfeel is lighter bodied, with an even mix of a prickier carbonation coupled with a more bubblier and creamier feel underneath.

I didn't expect to like this as much I as did. I usually approach fruit beers with a certain degree of trepidation but I'm glad to report that this one worked nicely for me. The placement of the peach flavor was right on, being strong in the aroma but then being more balanced in the taste. Fresh, crisp, tasty, and most of all easy drinking, this is a great summertime beer. (1,278 characters)

4.04/5  rDev +10.7%

Thanks to RyanC84 for the bottle.

Pours a cloudy light orange color with a small white head.

Scent of juicy ripe peaches and a bit of cream. This is a full on peach assault to the nose, and I love it.

Taste of peaches, grain, grass, and wheat. Finishes dry with a faint peach flavor. Tasty beer, but could be great with a juicier peach flavor.

Mouthfeel is light bodied with low carbonation. (395 characters)

3.62/5  rDev -0.8%

12 oz bottle poured into a snifter - fridge - 2009

Appearance: Pours a very hazy, muddy orange color, like a peach poured right into a glass. The head only rises 1/4" and is slightly off-white. It dies quickly and only spots of lace are left behind.

Smell: Quite peachy. I mixes well with the wheat aromas. The beer really does smell like fresh, ripe peaches.

Taste: Fresh peach, but not over the top, which actually lets the wheat flavors shine through. Sweet but not cloying, earthy but not dirty.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, coating mouthfeel, smooth drinking with a lingering booziness at the end. Enough to keep you wanting more.

Drinkability: A refreshing wheat beer that could satisfy all kinds of beer drinkers. The peach is authentic without being too candy-like. I'd reach for this if available. (806 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +2.7%

Pours a cloudy orange with a decent head. Retention is okay.

Aroma: Peaches and wheat. Nice backing of the wheat, but the peaches are really upfront in this aroma.

Taste: Well, to be honest, after that aroma, I was expecting peach juice. However, it isn't as fruity as the aroma indicates, which I think is a good thing. There is a pretty good balance between the wheat and the peach.

Mouthfeel: Lighter, crisp. I found it to be a little watery, though

Drinkability: Very good for this, wheat beer with a good fruit flavor thrown in. And the fruit flavor isn't overwhelming. Recommended (592 characters)

3.67/5  rDev +0.5%

Never really heard of a peach flavored beer that wasn't a lambic so I thought I would give this one a try. It pours just like most wheat beers....light golden, unfiltered, medium head on it. But what got me was the smell of this one, it reeks of fresh peaches and smells of peach cobbler. It was pretty impressive and very nice. So I thought that drinking it would be way too overpowering with peach flavors, but it was actually the opposite. The peach flavor wasn't too strong and had just enough so you could get flavor of the peaches and didn't take over the beer's flavor. Overall it finished very light and easily drinkable. It is a good spin on a wheat beer with a good flavor profile. Don't know if I'll have this one again, because I'm not too into fruit beers, but if you are then this one I would say is a must try. (825 characters)

4.29/5  rDev +17.5%

This is one amazing beer received in the Under 100 BIF - only 11 reviews!

Poured into a Duvel glass with a nearly opaque orange. The head was a thick large bubble head that reduced quickly. I was a bit disappointed with the head formation. Coaxing a head is typically easy from a wheat but not in this case. I believe the fruit has caused more acidity which decreased the head retention.

The smell is of fresh, and I mean fresh, peaches. Being from the south I can definately appreciate this aroma. There is absolutely no hop aroma which is not unusual for a wheat beer. I would like to smell more wheat backbone and less peach nectar honey aroma.

The flavors are of a mead and wheat/fruit beer mixture. If there's not honey in this one I'd be surpised - there is that dry yet sweet flavor. Obviously peaches, peaches, and more peaches are tasted but more than that is a sweet wheat/malt flavor that is extremely long.

The mouthfeel is robust and clingy compared to many wheat beers I've tried. The residual sugars make this somewhat sticky and a little syrupy even.

The low alcohol and great flavor makes this fruit wheat beer a joy to drink. I only have 1 but I'd gladly put away two or three of these bad boys. (1,218 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -5.5%

Poured into a weizen glass.

4.0 A: Hazy light orange color. Creamy base, frothy topped head has good retention and leaves lots of lacing.

4.0 S: Oh boy are the peaches forthright. The only issue is that it seems very artificial, like the peach ring gummy candy instead of real peaches. Still highly enjoyable (those gummies are awesome). Too a much less extent, there is the wheat base.

3.0 T: Nothing special here. The peach that was so apparent in the nose barely shows up in the taste. The wheat, however, comes through just fine. With some refinement, this could be a very good and unique beer, but right now it's just okay.

3.5 M: Medium body. The body's a bit thicker than the style would like and the carbonation is a bit low.

3.5 D: I imagine this would be good on a hot day, but some others would be better. (822 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +25.8%

Just tried this with Case Wood of RJ Rockers.

Appearance: Cloudy Mango/Orange/Amber Color. Slight head with very little lacing.

Smell: Fresh South Carolina Peaches with a hint of creamy aroma.

Taste: A refreshing wash of peach over the palate with a hint of brown sugar. An easy tart finish with notes of grapefruit/hops.

Mouthfeel: Refreshing. Feels wonderful on the palate. Medium-full bodied seasonal.

Drinkability: I was reluctant at first to try this beer. I've had a bad time with fruit driven beers in the past. This Pale Wheat is the perfect summer refresher. I highly recommend it not just for the girlfriend, but the craft beer enthusiast. It tastes fresh, and could be very enjoyable as a session beer. For the witbier/hefeweizen drinkers - take a step out of your box - this beer's a crowd pleaser. (819 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +8.8%

RJ Rockers is my local brewery, and I have been looking foward to trying this brew. Although Im usually not a fan of American fruit beer, Wheat beer are one of my favorite styles and I love peaches as well.
An aggresive pour yields a hazy murky tea pale colored wheat brew. A light head dissapates at a quite alarming rate for a hefe.
Smells definatley of peach. A bit lemony, tart and acidic. Digging deeper, this is not truly a fresh-peach bouquet of floral freshness, rather slightly "processed" if you will. Peach candy comes to mind, as well as peach soda, or cream savers if you've had those.
At first taste, a local company used to produce a candy called Peach Buds, this is truly the liquid version. Starts a bit sweet, sugary, then finishes with a slighty acidic bit that makes the sweetness lightly dissapate. A light yeastiness in the background adds a nice creaminess to the beer rednolent of a nice juicy peach.
Given the low ABV, and light drinkablitity, this is a great summer beeer here in the hot, humid South.
If I had my choice on a hot patio outside, and were sticking to the local brewery, I would prefer to drink RJ's regular wheat ale, but when it came time to make dinner, I would break this one out. This would be excellent paired with coconut-pineapple glazed shrimp and arugula salad, pork chops with grilled peaches and balsamic reduction, or even sweet vanilla mousse. Who doesn't like peaches and cream?
Well done RJ Rockers, another tool in my culinary arsenal (1,492 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -1.9%

Appearance: Pours a clouded, appropriately wheat-hued body with a wispy, but lasting, white head.

Smell: Predominately fruity but also fairly wheaten aroma with the bulk of the scent made up by ripe, juicy peaches. Aroma = Peaches > Wheat.

Taste: Slightly tangy malted wheat with a few chunks of honey-coated graham crackers and tiny hint of vanilla. The sweetness, thankfully, is nicely restrained. Of course, there's a strong peach flavor with a touch of tartness to it, though not quite as forward as the aroma suggested. I detect a slight bitterness, though no real discernible hop flavors. Finishes rather dry with a faintly tart lingering peach flavor.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: A fine, fruit-flavored wheat ale for a pint's worth, particularly if you're a peach aficionado. Though I can't help but hold it aloft with a wink and declare it one for the la--HAHA, ah, that Ding. With only 7 reviews currently entered, he's already beaten me to that conclusion. Well, I still stand by my verdict -- Son of a Peach is one for the ladies! Which, now that I think about it, isn't a half-bad name for a beer to begin with. (1,162 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +11.5%

She pours a cloudy orange with a good head of little bubbles. The lacing and retention are both pretty nice.
The smell is overwhelmingly peach, but it smells nice and fresh. There is a bit of citrus notes from the hops as well.
The taste is similar, only the peach does not jump up and down for attention, it just lingers throughout and emerges alone in the finish. Excellent pairing of fruit and beer in the flavor.
The mouthfeel is well carbonated with a light crisp body, I could drink this on a hot South Carolina summer day without a problem. Another solid offering from a solid brewer. (591 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +21.1%

Finally able to try this one on tap and was very excited. I've reviewd a couple Rockers brews before, and since they are my local beer I may be a little biased, but this one was really unique. It has a cloudy color, obviously unfiltered; I'd compare its appearance to an apple cider (which was cool). Aroma is full of peaches. I've tried a lot of fruit beers (namely blueberry ales) that smell "fake", but this aroma seems really authentic. Taste has a little peach to it, but not as much as you would expect going off the aroma. Just a little bit alcohol as well which I didn't expect. I'm told the abv is 5.8%. Overall a very refreshing, interesting beer and one that I plan on drinking by the 6 pack over the summer. Can't wait for its release in bottles. (758 characters)

Son Of A Peach from RJ Rockers Brewing Company