Son Of A Peach - RJ Rockers Brewing Company

South Carolina, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  6.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: mikesgroove on 02-27-2009

An unfiltered American wheat ale made with real mean peaches. The only thing missing is the fuzz. Savor the anger. Available during the late Spring and Summer months.
2.73/5  rDev -24.4%

Served from tap into a standard pint. Poured a yellow-orange with one-finger white head that reduces and stays throughout. Maintains decent lacing. The aroma of this one is dominated by peaches. The flavor starts out with subtle peach with some grainy notes with the peaches intensifying upon swallowing. Overall, this is not my favorite beer from the RJ Rockers brewery. Has a nice peach followup that is quite crisp, but also has a poor flavor up front. It is not horrible, but I am not a fan.

2.95/5  rDev -18.3%

Bottle into pint glass, from CBX.

Pours murky golden-orange, thin off-white head disappears fairly quickly into nothing.

Nose is all peaches, with an in-heavy-syrup type sweetness that's disconcertingly sugary. That's really about it, leaving me initially wondering whty this wasn't classified as a Fruit/Vegetable Beer. It's intriguingly intense, if a bit one-dimensional.

Taste is more two-dimensional, but I don't know that that's a good thing. Flavor is just dripping with peaches up front, but lacks entirely the sweetness promised in the nose. Instead, a thin but persistent bitterness towards the finish leaves the peaches tasting out of place. There may be light hints of wheat coming through, especially right at the beginning of the finish, but it's largely all peaches (some nicely authentic, some weirdly artificial) from front to back, with almost no real sweetness, which is where this falls apart. I obviously don't want it to be cloyingly sweet, I just want it to be less bitter and artificial on the finish.

Mouthfeel is thin, light but spritely carbonation, awkward bitterness on the finish.

Drinkability is pretty low for me. If you're going to do a fruit beer, do it right - see New Glarus. This is a mediocre attempt at best in my opinion.

3.55/5  rDev -1.7%

Thanks to gn0sis for this! Poured into a pint glass, I think there is a freshness date on this bottle, and if I read it correctly this bottle is a little past, but I am not sure what the number refers to.

A: Despite my best efforts to keep the pour small, this beer produced half a glass of head... a little over carbonated. Head is yellow rocky foam, laces minimally and retains fairly well. Body is muddy yellow and murky. Some swirling later on revives a full two fingers of rocky head. Impressive.

S: Almost all sweet peaches in this nose, with some mild wheat/grain on the side. Smells like cold peach pie filling.

T: Rather weak, but what is here takes the form of peaches (a nice sweet peach flavor), light wheat tones and some malt. A little hop bitterness is present, but it doesn't unbalance anything. Straightforward.

M: I find this to be way overly carbonated to a laughable extent. The flavors are very masked by all the carbonation burn, and I can barely distinguish a mouthfeel other than bubbles. Some warming and good deal of swirling later this beer gets a little better in this department, with a lighter body and more balanced carbonation.

D: If you get get rid of some of the carbonation this beer gets very drinkable. Right after the poor however, it was more like store-brand diet sprite- so many bubbles it was hard to drink.

Overall: Other than the over-carbonation, this is an alright American Pale Wheat ale, and the peaches make it especially light and refreshing, though it lacks some of the toasty rich malts I have seen elsewhere in this style. This would be nice with lunch on a hot humid day in the South. The billowy head was quite nice as well and worth noting.

3.5/5  rDev -3%

Poured into a pint glass on 4/11/10

Appears to be dated 9/11/09

Thanks to smutty33 for an obscure & enjoyable extra

What an interesting show pouring this beer was. As the glass filled with lightly-hued golden yellow I wondered just what I might be getting into. I gave the bottle the old swirl & dumped in a large amount of decidedly darker liquid. Said liquid murkily blended with the clearer beer, turning it into a dense, hazy & somewhat muted concoction a la pineapple juice or some unfiltered fruit smoothie. The one finger head dissipated after a few minutes leaving a thin skim for retention. Lacing is alright.

The aroma is no less interesting. Indeed, peaches are in no short supply. On one hand, it seems juicy with a touch of alcohol. On the other, it seems almost like an orange-sicle frozen snack treat you'd get from an ice cream truck; only done up in peach instead of orange. Wheat notes become more apparent with warmth as do a few bready yeast undertones. Another odd element of the nose is how much each ingredient is appreciable at any point in time (especially the peaches) - sometimes it seems airy, other times somewhat dense.

The taste, based on the nose, isn't at all surprising. Peach notes aplenty set atop a reasonably sturdy back drop of wheat & toasty malts. While that sums it up in sparse details, the overall impression of the beer is much more than the previous sentence suggests. All at once it seems: kind of like beer; kind of not like beer; a little like a healthy fruit blend; somewhat dessert-like; a little natural & a tad artificial. I really don't know what this beer -should- taste like; all I know is that I rather like it as a change of pace.

Son of a peach is essentially medium bodied. While the carbonation offers a mild prickliness upfront, it's fairly tame on the whole which brings out the best in the flavors, I think. It does seem like a slow moving beer - it moves slowly on the palate, in no hurry to leave. Wheat notes & a mild juiciness linger on the finish.

I'm not sure this is entirely indicative of the drinkability but after finishing the bottle I found myself wanting more - if only to further figure out what the heck is going on with this beer. With all honesty I can say I've never had a beer quite like it. I really can't imagine it would something I'd drink frequently, but I'd like to give it another shot sometime. Recommended for the oddity factor alone.

3.53/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had a muddy orange color and a thick, cloudy consistency. There was a thin, foamy head that quickly dissipated and average lacing.

S: Smelled of peaches and a little note of wheat.

T: Like the smell, peaches dominated the flavor. Had a slight taste of wheat, but not much else. Reminded me more of a fruit/vegetable beer than an American pale wheat ale.

M: A decent amount of carbonation with a somewhat oily finish. Light-bodied.

D: A lightweight, drinkable beer, but not something I'd return to.

3.16/5  rDev -12.5%

Drank cold from a pint glass.

Loved the color here. A hazy golden brown having an almost orange tint to it. Had a nice,long lasting 2 finger head.

Smelled as expected, strong peach with some earthy/wheat notes tailing.

Tastes like peach. Not much else

I thought this beer was just ok. Don't think I'd purchase it again unless I wanted to introduce a new craft fan into some different fruit beers.

4.16/5  rDev +15.2%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a shaker pint.

A--Bright, bright apricot orange, with all sorts of sediment floating around in it. I mean, it seriously looks smoothie-like in there. Seeds, yeast--is that pulp? I'm kidding, but this is cloudy and there's definitely crap floating around. Not bad, just...different. Head is a generous two fingers of creme colored dense foam. Good retention and lacing.

S--Smells like peaches. Bright, fresh, juicy peaches. Incredible donkey punch of fruit here. Gawd almighty do I hope this doesn't taste as sweet as it smells.

T--And we're safe. Phew. This actually tastes quite good. Flavor profile is more bright peach, but much mellower, with the essence of the flavor rather than any residual sweetness taking over. Thank the sting of the wheat for that. Great interplay between the fruit and tangy wheat going on here. It's a fairly straightforward profile, but that's true to the style, and the season for which it's brewed. The ingenuity comes in with the fruit used.

M&D--Typical hefe or wit mouthfeel--thin and spritzy. Easy going. Insanely drinkable. And this is coming from a guy whose closest tolerance for fruit beers was pumpkin ale. Fruit beers generally piss me off. This one is tasty. Strong summer refresher in the wheat beer category. Kind of like an American Wit.

3.79/5  rDev +5%

Ahh, RJ Rockers... I'm actually surprised to be reviewing one of their beers. Down here in their home state of South Carolina, they're rather maligned by the beer geeks... perhaps unfairly, but I've never enjoyed their beers. Until Son of a Peach!

A. Cloudy, hazy and appears to be bottle conditioned. There is a LOT of sediment floating in this dingy deep yellow brew. There's a wheaty white head that fades but refuses to die completely, and the beer itself is charmingly ugly.

S. Bryers peach ice cream. Sweet and creamy. That's honestly about it. Odd, I know.

T. Huh, this is interesting... this isn't just a peach beer, it's a peaches & cream beer... think peaches over ice cream, peaches with cool whip... it's got a real sweet peachness to it that is backed by some bittering hops and a little citrus character, but nothing too big. The finish, oddly, is bitter and just leaves a faint impression of peach, like all the sugar was sucked out. I'm not quite sure how to explain it, but if you love peaches you should be a-okay here.

M. Wet and somewhat lowly carbonated from the bottle. Finish is sour and just a bit medicinal with lots of peach flavor, but little sweetness.

D. Not bad at all... drink more than a few of these and the sweetness will get ya, but I blended it 50/50 with Oberon and it was absolutely delightful. I like it and will buy it again next year.

RJ Rockers, you are capable of making good beer. I admit it.

4.5/5  rDev +24.7%

Pours a hazy, bright orange with a nice looking white head. Smells strongly of peaches, which is a good thing, and also a faint aroma of wheat, just enough to let you know that this is indeed a wheat beer. The taste is something to get very excited about. The peach flavour comes through very strongly, without at all being off-putting. After a few minutes pure amazement at the peach, my head returns from the clouds and the rest of the taste comes through, with a lot of other fruity and flowery notes. The aftertaste is a very sweet peach. The body is not too full but not too light either, very good for this type of beer. The all-around greatness of this will keep me reaching for more and more, especially during the sweltering summer heat.

4.2/5  rDev +16.3%

Actually cracked my first ever bottle of this one tonight. I had been wanting to try it before, but this was the first time. Served cold and poured into a pint glass, this one was consumed on 10/20/2009.

The pour was nice hazy light amber in color with a smooth overall look to it. Nice cloudiness to it and a nice head of white creeping up and over the top of the glass. Aroma is tight, loads of peach and spices coming through. Hints of cinnamon and nutmeg and loads of fresh peach notes. Nice crisp, clean flavor here. Fresh off the tree peach flavor, really very well done and I am officially impressed here. Crisp, fresh fruit, light notes of spice and a healthy dose of light grain notes. Soo friggin drinkable, wow. I really cannot say it enough, I am impressed.

Perhaps my favoite beer of theirs I have ever had. This was just sublime at times. A great, great beer.

4.12/5  rDev +14.1%

Had this at Fall for Greenville (Think a "Taste of ..." event).

A: hazy bronze with some head. Not a great pour from a festival worker.

S: Peaches, apricots and other fall time fruit

T: Tastes like most other wheat's until you get to the peachy afterglow. It's surprisingly refreshing on a hot festival day.

M: Light feel, but perhaps a tad too much carbonation.

Overall: I was so impressed, I had a second. Very drinkable. Not sure I would want more than 1 or 2 in a sitting, but it was a nice "walking around" beer at the Fall For Greenville "festival".

3.62/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Picked this up at macadoodles in Joplin

Pours a hazed bronze color with a thumb of cream colored head. Above average lacing & head retention

S: Peaches, apricots & apple blossoms

T: Peaches, pears & floral notes up front, along with a touch of herbal hops & crackery notes, plus much tartness. Sweetness is swept away as this warms, which is good, by tartness & dryness, peach sweetness tries to battle back. Finishes dry, fruitty & faint honey notes

MF: Light/medium bodied with fairly lively carbonation

Drinks pretty easy but still a bit too fruitty & sweet to session on, but 2 or 3 would not go amiss, not bad

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

It's cloudy like pond water, though I appreciate seeing peach sediment floating in the liquid. I guess the peaches give this style quite a twist, but it looks just peachy from my perspective!

The smell is excellent. Again, it diverts from the style template but, objectively, it smells like an air freshener. The aroma leaves no doubt that this here beer's made with real peaches. They're probably from Gaffney, and smelling this beer conjures up images of the enormous peach water tower on the side of the I-85 near Spartanburg. Straight real peach.

The taste doesn't quite match the hitherto examination, probably because it's stronger than your average fruit (particularly peach) beer. It's definitely solid, but it's reminiscent of PJ days--I don't know why we called it that, but it was fruit soaked in grain alcohol. I don't even recall peaches being involved, but this beer equals peach plus alcohol. If it was just a wee bit lighter on the ethanol, it might taste even better; regardless, it's a solid peach beer. I must've made some progress with style consideration, because I might rank this beverage categorically higher if it were classified as a fruit beer....

It's that relatively potent 5.8% ABV that contributes to a slightly chalky mouthfeel. The peaches are great and, to RJ's credit, you taste them more than you feel them. I appreciate the idea of fruit beers for beer lovers (as opposed to fruity, even girly, convert-type beers), and this is undoubtedly one of those.

It is fruity, and it does have relative strength, so that makes for a weird type of drinkability judgement. I wish they'd make both a more powerful and a more subtle version--somehow add more carbonation with less ethanol production (move towards Festina Pesche) with a more pungent-peachy alcohol bomb (move toward something like Fort or the upcoming Sweetwater Blue Balls). RJ Rockers has something here, and they should roll with it.

3.43/5  rDev -5%

Pours an opaque peachy, orange-yellow. Nice head that falls quickly to a thin ring and even thinner cap.
Somewhat subtle aroma. The combo of peaches and grains give an almost coconut/tropical aroma. The peach is pretty dominant, with the grain and spice aromas coming in a little later.
The peach flavor is definitely not subtle. It comes on strong, but not sweet as a syrup. Again, the peach/grain combo give a tropical flavor. Grain and spice round out the flavors.
Fairly drinkable. It's not cloying as you would expect from a fruit flavored beer. It's probably only good for one at a time, though.
Better than I was expecting. Good enough to give it a try, but I probably wouldn't by a sixer of this unless someone asked for it.

3.42/5  rDev -5.3%

Pours a cloudy maize color. 1/4 inch head of a white color. Good retention and slight lacing. Smells of amazingly fresh and strong peaches, yeast, and sweet malt. Fits the style of an American Pale Wheat Ale. Mouth feel is smooth and crisp with a low carbonation level. There is a strong tartness/acidity associated with this brew. Tastes of peaches up front and throughout, tart malt, yeast, slight sweet malt, and very slight hop. Overall, the peaches taste really fresh and strong, but they are either overpowering the other beer flavors or this beer lacks complexity.

3.15/5  rDev -12.7%

Let me admit at the outset that I am not a particular fan of fruit beer, so take my opinion for what it is worth. But I bought this at the insistence of my six year old son, who has just learned to read and, unfortunately, knows why "Son of a Peach" is funny.

And the bottom line is that the beer isn't that bad.

It pours a very hazy orange - dare I say, peachy in color, with no head to remark on. The aroma is peachy, though is a blowzy, overripe kind of way. The flavor is sweet, with a clear peach taste, but also a curiously buttery character that, with the addition of the grainy undertone, comes off almost like buttered popcorn. In fact, once I tasted the beer, my perception of the aroma shifted from peach to buttered popcorn. Weird, but but not entirely unpleasant. The mouthfeel is quite light and there is no perceptible hop bitterness.

Is this a good beer? No, not particularly. But I could see it being refreshing on a hot, steamy day. It is fruity enough to hook beer novices, but well-crafted enough not to offend the more experienced drinkers. And it avoids the worst offense of many fruit beers, and that is to taste like it was brewed with frozen puree or artificial flavors.

3.45/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Better than I was expecting.
Mean lookin' kid/peach hybrid thingie on the bottle. nice!
Poured out of the bottle into a pint glass.
Murky copper/gold/orange. Small white head.
Nose is peach flesh and gentle wheat.
Taste is sharp peach extract, a wheat undercurrent, and slightly tangy metal/spice flavors. Average mouthfeel. Nice for a fruit beer. The peach and wheat go well together.

2.8/5  rDev -22.4%

A scant ¼ inch of head forms with even an aggressive pour. The beer is a cloudy dull amber color with some orange and brown highlights. Too cloudy to notice any carbonation. No lacing at all.

Smells like either cream soda or an orange/cream popsicle. Syrupy sweet. Would not pick out peach in the aroma if I didn't know.

Hmm, I think the flavor is more like orange and cream just like the aroma. I can't pretend not to know that this is brewed with peaches and it is fruity, but again, I get more orange/cream than anything else. There is a surprising bitter finish to the beer. I liken is more to orange peel vs. peach. But fruity none the less.

Mouth feel is more like soda with light carbonation. Bright/fresh. A bit sweet.

The drinkability is nice if you are looking for a hot summer beer. This is perhaps a gateway beer, but not really my style. Sometimes I buy single beers just to have fun/taste and review. Sometimes I am upset I didn't get more. This is NOT one of those times. Unless it's the only beer in the house, I'll never have this one again.

3.6/5  rDev -0.3%

Served on draft at Laura Alberts in Daniel Island (Charleston), SC.

Goes into the glass from the tap a cloudy, dark pach color. Small head that diminishes to a ring around the collar.

Aroma is peachy for sure. Smells a lot like triple sec liquor.

Flavor is a bit odd. It tastes like a float made with vanilla ice cream and peach shnapps. The peach flavor seem artificial and is quite strong.

Creamy mouthfeel with lower carbonation for the style. I could handle mybe two of these but the sweet peach flavor would get old in a hurry.

4.07/5  rDev +12.7%

12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a hazy...well...peach color I guess, with a finger of foamy brite-white head. Retains with a thin fizzy layer that skims the surface, throwing some light patchy lace up on the sides of the glass which sticks a bit. The aroma is straight up peaches with a sugary malt sweetness behind it, which gives it an extra juicy feel in the nose. Plenty of grainy wheat and floral hops glides along the back as well. Very fresh and delicious smelling.

The peach is a little more subtle in the taste, with the sweetness of the malts emerging first and then being quickly followed by a firm blast of lightly spicy hop bitterness. The peach flavors finally really come out in the finish before fading into a lingering dry and spicy feel. The mouthfeel is lighter bodied, with an even mix of a prickier carbonation coupled with a more bubblier and creamier feel underneath.

I didn't expect to like this as much I as did. I usually approach fruit beers with a certain degree of trepidation but I'm glad to report that this one worked nicely for me. The placement of the peach flavor was right on, being strong in the aroma but then being more balanced in the taste. Fresh, crisp, tasty, and most of all easy drinking, this is a great summertime beer.

4.04/5  rDev +11.9%

Thanks to RyanC84 for the bottle.

Pours a cloudy light orange color with a small white head.

Scent of juicy ripe peaches and a bit of cream. This is a full on peach assault to the nose, and I love it.

Taste of peaches, grain, grass, and wheat. Finishes dry with a faint peach flavor. Tasty beer, but could be great with a juicier peach flavor.

Mouthfeel is light bodied with low carbonation.

3.62/5  rDev +0.3%

12 oz bottle poured into a snifter - fridge - 2009

Appearance: Pours a very hazy, muddy orange color, like a peach poured right into a glass. The head only rises 1/4" and is slightly off-white. It dies quickly and only spots of lace are left behind.

Smell: Quite peachy. I mixes well with the wheat aromas. The beer really does smell like fresh, ripe peaches.

Taste: Fresh peach, but not over the top, which actually lets the wheat flavors shine through. Sweet but not cloying, earthy but not dirty.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, coating mouthfeel, smooth drinking with a lingering booziness at the end. Enough to keep you wanting more.

Drinkability: A refreshing wheat beer that could satisfy all kinds of beer drinkers. The peach is authentic without being too candy-like. I'd reach for this if available.

3.75/5  rDev +3.9%

Pours a cloudy orange with a decent head. Retention is okay.

Aroma: Peaches and wheat. Nice backing of the wheat, but the peaches are really upfront in this aroma.

Taste: Well, to be honest, after that aroma, I was expecting peach juice. However, it isn't as fruity as the aroma indicates, which I think is a good thing. There is a pretty good balance between the wheat and the peach.

Mouthfeel: Lighter, crisp. I found it to be a little watery, though

Drinkability: Very good for this, wheat beer with a good fruit flavor thrown in. And the fruit flavor isn't overwhelming. Recommended

3.67/5  rDev +1.7%

Never really heard of a peach flavored beer that wasn't a lambic so I thought I would give this one a try. It pours just like most wheat beers....light golden, unfiltered, medium head on it. But what got me was the smell of this one, it reeks of fresh peaches and smells of peach cobbler. It was pretty impressive and very nice. So I thought that drinking it would be way too overpowering with peach flavors, but it was actually the opposite. The peach flavor wasn't too strong and had just enough so you could get flavor of the peaches and didn't take over the beer's flavor. Overall it finished very light and easily drinkable. It is a good spin on a wheat beer with a good flavor profile. Don't know if I'll have this one again, because I'm not too into fruit beers, but if you are then this one I would say is a must try.

4.29/5  rDev +18.8%

This is one amazing beer received in the Under 100 BIF - only 11 reviews!

Poured into a Duvel glass with a nearly opaque orange. The head was a thick large bubble head that reduced quickly. I was a bit disappointed with the head formation. Coaxing a head is typically easy from a wheat but not in this case. I believe the fruit has caused more acidity which decreased the head retention.

The smell is of fresh, and I mean fresh, peaches. Being from the south I can definately appreciate this aroma. There is absolutely no hop aroma which is not unusual for a wheat beer. I would like to smell more wheat backbone and less peach nectar honey aroma.

The flavors are of a mead and wheat/fruit beer mixture. If there's not honey in this one I'd be surpised - there is that dry yet sweet flavor. Obviously peaches, peaches, and more peaches are tasted but more than that is a sweet wheat/malt flavor that is extremely long.

The mouthfeel is robust and clingy compared to many wheat beers I've tried. The residual sugars make this somewhat sticky and a little syrupy even.

The low alcohol and great flavor makes this fruit wheat beer a joy to drink. I only have 1 but I'd gladly put away two or three of these bad boys.

Son Of A Peach from RJ Rockers Brewing Company