Son Of A Peach - RJ Rockers Brewing Company

RJ Rockers Brewing Company visit their website
South Carolina, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  6.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

An unfiltered American wheat ale made with real mean peaches. The only thing missing is the fuzz. Savor the anger. Available during the late Spring and Summer months.

(Beer added by: mikesgroove on 02-27-2009)

Poured into a pint glass on 4/11/10

Appears to be dated 9/11/09

Thanks to smutty33 for an obscure & enjoyable extra

What an interesting show pouring this beer was. As the glass filled with lightly-hued golden yellow I wondered just what I might be getting into. I gave the bottle the old swirl & dumped in a large amount of decidedly darker liquid. Said liquid murkily blended with the clearer beer, turning it into a dense, hazy & somewhat muted concoction a la pineapple juice or some unfiltered fruit smoothie. The one finger head dissipated after a few minutes leaving a thin skim for retention. Lacing is alright.

The aroma is no less interesting. Indeed, peaches are in no short supply. On one hand, it seems juicy with a touch of alcohol. On the other, it seems almost like an orange-sicle frozen snack treat you'd get from an ice cream truck; only done up in peach instead of orange. Wheat notes become more apparent with warmth as do a few bready yeast undertones. Another odd element of the nose is how much each ingredient is appreciable at any point in time (especially the peaches) - sometimes it seems airy, other times somewhat dense.

The taste, based on the nose, isn't at all surprising. Peach notes aplenty set atop a reasonably sturdy back drop of wheat & toasty malts. While that sums it up in sparse details, the overall impression of the beer is much more than the previous sentence suggests. All at once it seems: kind of like beer; kind of not like beer; a little like a healthy fruit blend; somewhat dessert-like; a little natural & a tad artificial. I really don't know what this beer -should- taste like; all I know is that I rather like it as a change of pace.

Son of a peach is essentially medium bodied. While the carbonation offers a mild prickliness upfront, it's fairly tame on the whole which brings out the best in the flavors, I think. It does seem like a slow moving beer - it moves slowly on the palate, in no hurry to leave. Wheat notes & a mild juiciness linger on the finish.

I'm not sure this is entirely indicative of the drinkability but after finishing the bottle I found myself wanting more - if only to further figure out what the heck is going on with this beer. With all honesty I can say I've never had a beer quite like it. I really can't imagine it would something I'd drink frequently, but I'd like to give it another shot sometime. Recommended for the oddity factor alone.

Ryan011235, Apr 24, 2010
2.25/5  rDev -36.4%

Onenote81, Jul 31, 2014

AndrewMichael, Feb 01, 2012
3.65/5  rDev +3.1%

Another bottle from and another nod to: JohnQVegas. Thanks Dustin-- you have been an excellent off-season pickup and I'm glad to have added you to my trading team.

This pours.... oddly enough, kind of peach colored. Nearly white head is thin with really fine bubbles and a sparkley lacing. Some sediment on the bottom-- little dark dots, like ground up vanilla beans.

The first sip is very unsettling. It made me not want to take another. Once I got past that first sip though, I wam surprised how easy drinking this it.

Smells of peaches and apricots... actually reminds me of Jolly Rancher candies. After a few more sips, all I smell are those gummy peaches-- Peachy-Os I think they are called. This smells AMAZING now that it opened up a little. Wow. I'm loving that smell--- too bad this is categorized a pale wheat instead of a fruit beer.

I didn't really like this at first, but it has grown on me. The feel is certainly decent. I'm not the biggest fan of peach flavor, but this isn't too bad. This is really easy drinking despite the giant sweetness that creeps up on me. I do wish this had a little tartness to it to cut through the sweet, but alas... I guess I just need to buy some more Festina Peche.

AleWatcher, Aug 03, 2010
4.4/5  rDev +24.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Shows up cloudy and orange with a creamy white head. Amazing retention but not a lot of lace.
Smell is full of sweet peaches and malt.
Taste is malty, peachy with hints of clove and pepper.
Rich, smooth and delicious. Medium effervescence with q fuller than medium body. Peachy aftertaste but not overwhelmingly so. Drink one, it makes a great dessert.

PorterLambic, Aug 09, 2011

NJBeer265, Jun 02, 2014
2.75/5  rDev -22.3%

Damian74Shensky, Dec 07, 2012

GABrew, Nov 08, 2013

Mantooth, Aug 29, 2013

avisong, May 26, 2013
3.88/5  rDev +9.6%

A: Bright orange pour with very little white head as well as little lacing. Definitely unfiltered ... which I liked. You can see lots of little floaties.

S: Didn't get a ton peach right up front which I was surprised to find. I think if I had let it warm just a tad I probably would have gotten a bit more peach scent.

T: This is where the peach shines through. From the second it touched my tongue until it went down the pipe I got smacked in the face with peaches.

D: I really enjoy this beer in the midst of a blazing summer day. It's refreshing and very tasty.

DoctorB2B, Jun 28, 2010

Keith_R, Aug 23, 2012

UltimateLivewire, Mar 12, 2012

tbryan5, Jun 04, 2013

sneaks2210, Nov 17, 2012

Dave_Treat, May 03, 2014
3.83/5  rDev +8.2%

This brew was served from the tap at The Ginger Man in Greenwich, CT. It arrived in a flared pint glass, glowing a sunburst orange, with darkened hues at the bottom of the glass. The head was one finger tall and creamy white, showing good retention. Thick, wet sheets of lacing stuck around the glass. There was a very thick haze throughout, with a film of sediment along the bottom, and carbonation appeared medium. The aroma was a fistful of peach!! This showed sweet sugariness, but also an uncanny freshness. With warmth this peach air became more similar to those syrupy canned peaches. The grain was wheaty, wet, and dirty with minerals. A final note of sweet buttercream topped the nose off. Our first impression was that the beer was more bitter than expected, but with all the peachy goodness we had hoped for. The flavor opened up with sweet, fresh peach, as in the nose, along with barley, wheat, and slightly adjuncty metallics. The middle peaked with syrupy candied peaches, mixing with bitter wheat, souring grain, and faint lactics. The end showcased more of that bitter wheat, with stone, sour lactics, grassy hops bitterness, and dirty earthiness. The aftertaste breathed of big wheat, more sour grain mash, and more of that faint bitter and grassy hop. The body was medium, and the carbonation was high, prickling the palate. A wet coating was left around the mouth, with no real drying quality. There was cooling sip, and mice frothy slurp and smack, and a pleasantly fresh creaminess. The abv was appropriate, and the beer was easy drinking.

Overall, what we enjoyed most about this brew was how authentic and robust the peach aroma and flavoring was. At no point did it feel synthetic or overdone. The nose sung of summer peaches and cream, while the taste followed through nicely with nice even sweetness, and a bitter finish at the way end. We wish that the sweetness had remained just a bit longer, to help better balance the sourness and bitterness of the final flavors. This is a highly refreshing beer, but due to the glorious peach insanity, this guy will remain for special occasions.

TheBrewo, Jul 31, 2012
3.58/5  rDev +1.1%

Served on draft at Laura Alberts in Daniel Island (Charleston), SC.

Goes into the glass from the tap a cloudy, dark pach color. Small head that diminishes to a ring around the collar.

Aroma is peachy for sure. Smells a lot like triple sec liquor.

Flavor is a bit odd. It tastes like a float made with vanilla ice cream and peach shnapps. The peach flavor seem artificial and is quite strong.

Creamy mouthfeel with lower carbonation for the style. I could handle mybe two of these but the sweet peach flavor would get old in a hurry.

SaCkErZ9, Jul 01, 2009

campfirebrew, Apr 04, 2013

Lehighace06, Jan 24, 2014

JohnParadee, May 14, 2014

Canada_Dan, Jul 28, 2014

sd123, Jul 27, 2013
4.4/5  rDev +24.3%

A Pours orange, cloudy and with a thin foam head. Minimal lacing. Sediment visible in glass.

S - The peach scent is incerdible. Smells natural, sweet, and inviting. A secondary wheat aroma is there too; smells like cooked pasta.

T - Flavors of peach are forefront. There is a bit of tangy citrus and grain taste as well. Just lots of flavor and if you like peaches you will love this.

M - Smooth flavors, a bit of a gritty feel to it. Light bodied.

O - This is a variant of what Cigar City does with Peach Jai-Alai. I think this is equally as good though as a different style. Really enjoying these folks from SC.

socon67, Oct 09, 2011