Son Of A Peach - RJ Rockers Brewing Company

South Carolina, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  6.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: mikesgroove on 02-27-2009

An unfiltered American wheat ale made with real mean peaches. The only thing missing is the fuzz. Savor the anger. Available during the late Spring and Summer months.
3.97/5  rDev +8.8%

Looks great, big pillowy off-white head, the beer itself is golden hued and theres a ton of little flecks in the beer too. Head retention is moderate, it stays up there for quite a while and when receding it leaves splotchy islands of foam on the edges of the glass. To style it's pretty damn good.

The nose is phenomenal, peaches utterly dominate with vanilla and an almost tumeric like character taking a back seat.

Taste was relatively disappointing, I was hoping the taste would moderately resemble the smell but it's hugely lacking the peach punch I was eagerly hoping for. Just some light peach an slight hop bitterness take the point.

Mouthfeel is light watery and lively. To style, it's spot on.

Overall in the nose department it's amazing and everywhere else it kinda falls off and disappoints. (808 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -6%

Pours an opaque peachy, orange-yellow. Nice head that falls quickly to a thin ring and even thinner cap.
Somewhat subtle aroma. The combo of peaches and grains give an almost coconut/tropical aroma. The peach is pretty dominant, with the grain and spice aromas coming in a little later.
The peach flavor is definitely not subtle. It comes on strong, but not sweet as a syrup. Again, the peach/grain combo give a tropical flavor. Grain and spice round out the flavors.
Medium-bodied.
Fairly drinkable. It's not cloying as you would expect from a fruit flavored beer. It's probably only good for one at a time, though.
Better than I was expecting. Good enough to give it a try, but I probably wouldn't by a sixer of this unless someone asked for it. (747 characters)

3.76/5  rDev +3%

Served from a bottle into a pint glass.

Appears rather murky and makes me wonder if it's unfiltered. It's a bit on the yellow brown side and not too appealing looking. This might actually get my first lower score in this category.

Smells good though. A nice natural perch comes through after an initial wheat inhale.

Taste Is initially of a sweet fresh peach and turns to a malty quick finish.

Mouthfeel Is too quick in my opinion but the last taste is a bit bitter, yet seemingly not from hops.

Overall an interesting experience and something I grabbed in Delaware because it's not available in NY. (609 characters)

3.54/5  rDev -3%

Pours a light hazy gold into a pint glass with a minimal head.

A- Like standing in the middle of a peach orchard. Or perhaps the smell of mom's peach cobbler coming out of the oven.

T- A slight wheat, but the peach flavor overpowers most others. The peach is not exactly subtle, and there's a bit of a strange aftertaste.

Overall- I love most fruit beers, and I love peaches, but the weird aftertaste hurts this beer. I also wish the peach flavor was just a bit less, but peach is a pretty powerful aroma and taste. Definitely interesting and worth a try. (558 characters)

2.6/5  rDev -28.8%

Poured a hazy orange with a finger of white head and some sparse lacing. Smells of peach obviously. Tastes more artificial/rotten peach than fresh peach. Feels good in the mouth but the taste overpowers anything good. Overall not a fan of this wheat ale. (254 characters)

3.79/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Appearance is gold with particles a floating, the way a wheat should look. Smell is peachy, which it should have seeing it is named son of a peach. Mouthfeel, bright and evervecent on the tongue. Taste is nice, if you like peach. The right balance, reminds us of that syrip in canned peaches. Overall as wheat beer it is ok, your typical "style" beer. Will go well with pie and whipped cream. Ha.. Oh throw in some southern BBQ. (428 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +25.8%

Just tried this with Case Wood of RJ Rockers.

Appearance: Cloudy Mango/Orange/Amber Color. Slight head with very little lacing.

Smell: Fresh South Carolina Peaches with a hint of creamy aroma.

Taste: A refreshing wash of peach over the palate with a hint of brown sugar. An easy tart finish with notes of grapefruit/hops.

Mouthfeel: Refreshing. Feels wonderful on the palate. Medium-full bodied seasonal.

Drinkability: I was reluctant at first to try this beer. I've had a bad time with fruit driven beers in the past. This Pale Wheat is the perfect summer refresher. I highly recommend it not just for the girlfriend, but the craft beer enthusiast. It tastes fresh, and could be very enjoyable as a session beer. For the witbier/hefeweizen drinkers - take a step out of your box - this beer's a crowd pleaser. (819 characters)

3.68/5  rDev +0.8%

I have had this beer both on tap and in a bottle. It is completely different on tap! The bottle left me with a bad after taste and sort of stale. On draft, the beer is very smooth with a burst of peach flavor! Overall, I enjoy the beer, but prefer their Black Pearle and Fish Paralyzer. I had this at the RJ Rockers Brewery (323 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +8.8%

A - Gold in color. Unfiltered. A lot floating around in there. Highly carbonated. Good amount of sediment in the bottom of the bottle.

S - Smells of fresh peaches.

T - I get the wheat and a good amount of peach flavor.

M - Feels great on the tongue. Light and refreshing.

O - One of my favorite summer time brews. I find it refreshing after cutting the lawn or relaxing on my patio. This years offering had a lot more floating around in my glass. Kinda weird watching those chunks working around in there. I look forward to this brew every summer. (552 characters)

4.04/5  rDev +10.7%

A - Hazy golden orange color with a white lacy carbonation head.

S - Smells of Peach cobler

T - Taste is of peach puree with wheat and a delightful hoppy finish. Not IPA hoppy, but enough to know it's there. .Lingering peach flavor on the back end as well.

M - I would say it's medium to light bodied. Just the right carbonation .

O - This type of beer is not for everyone. The massive amount of peaches steers many away. I really like it. It is quite different, but refreshing. It packs a punch for it's style at around 6%. Not an overly fan of wheat beers, but this one works for me. (589 characters)

4.31/5  rDev +18.1%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

174 calories per bottle at 6% ABV. Not a bad fruit flavored seasonal. The peach taste is not too lite or too strong. I could last through a 6'er with this one. The best part is there is no over dose of sweetness and the aftertaste is works, which seems to be main problem with a fruit flavored beer. I would buy again. (318 characters)

3.79/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured into snifter glass. This is a honey-colored beer, quite opaque with small bits of what appears to be pulp. There is minimal head and lacing. Quite fragrant with a strong aroma of peach. The taste is wheat forward with abundant peach sweetness but a surprisingly bitter finish. It has an almost champagne-like mouth feel. Overall, this is an interesting fruit beer. Other reviewers seem to either love or hate it but I don't have a strong feeling either way. While I'm glad I tried it and enjoyed it as a change of pace on a hot day, I won't go out of my way to seek it out. (583 characters)

2.85/5  rDev -21.9%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Meh. I tried this on a hot day in Florida since I thought it might hit the spot and its just not doing it for me. The aroma and taste were like the syrup from a can of peaches, which I personally don't find appetizing. I understand it says real peaches but I just wasn't tasting a fresh peach there. Maybe it was just not the right batch. (343 characters)

3.99/5  rDev +9.3%

12 oz. bottle

Appearance: Pours a cloudy as hell orange/golden yellow color with a finger of a white head that dissipated quickly. Definitely unfiltered.

Smell: Best part of the beer. Smells of peaches or maybe a creamsicle. So good. I want to smell this forever.

Taste - Taste is all peach and wheat with a slight bitterness at the end.

Mouthfeel: Mouthfeel is light but it's good for the style.

Overall: One of the most interesting beers I've ever had. Not too big on wheat beers but this is really good. (513 characters)

3.94/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Bought a six in Greenville SC
Pours a cloudy haze with wheat sediment.
You do get the peach and wheat aroma. Like a peach cream fizz.
A medium mouthfeel and nice carbonation . It's refreshing not overwhelming.
This is an area known for their peaches and the beer is up and coming as well.
This one can be a chick beer or a summer favorite ... (348 characters)

2.87/5  rDev -21.4%

They should call this beer "Extract of a Peach." I've never really been a big fan of RJ Rockers beers, and this is a prime example.

The appearance is a bit darker than a normal wheat beer. The smell is of peaches.

The taste is what is going to throw you to the ground -- really artificial. I don't know how much extract is added to this puppy, but they went overboard.

The mouthfeel is light and not really well carbonated.

Overall, this is an average to below average wheat beer that is slammed with extract. It's one of the reasons many beer drinkers are not big fans of fruit beers. (592 characters)

3.62/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served in a frosty pint glass. Pours hazy orange with one finger head that settled down to a ring and left light lacing.

Smells like peaches, more than I had even expected.

Tastes like peaches then a contrasting bitterness, but if it weren't for the bitterness it would be too sweet. So it actually has good balance.

Light to medium bodied with good carbonation. A refreshing beverage.

Overall very drinkable, but maybe a little "girly". Finally I may have found a beer my wife will like. I'll have to see if I can find some bottles of this to take home. (560 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +23.3%

Pours a hazy, bright orange with a nice looking white head. Smells strongly of peaches, which is a good thing, and also a faint aroma of wheat, just enough to let you know that this is indeed a wheat beer. The taste is something to get very excited about. The peach flavour comes through very strongly, without at all being off-putting. After a few minutes pure amazement at the peach, my head returns from the clouds and the rest of the taste comes through, with a lot of other fruity and flowery notes. The aftertaste is a very sweet peach. The body is not too full but not too light either, very good for this type of beer. The all-around greatness of this will keep me reaching for more and more, especially during the sweltering summer heat. (746 characters)

3.64/5  rDev -0.3%

A: Hazy, amber/gold color. Thin head, zero lacing

S: Peaches and some more peaches

T: A whole lotta peaches and nothing else.

M: exploding peaches. Heavily carbonated which actually compliments the peaches.

Overall: I'm not a huge peach person, but this was a very solid peach wheat. Sure it was overpowering, but it was over powering in a good way. Would love to try it on draft. (384 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +12.9%

Had this at Fall for Greenville (Think a "Taste of ..." event).

A: hazy bronze with some head. Not a great pour from a festival worker.

S: Peaches, apricots and other fall time fruit

T: Tastes like most other wheat's until you get to the peachy afterglow. It's surprisingly refreshing on a hot festival day.

M: Light feel, but perhaps a tad too much carbonation.

Overall: I was so impressed, I had a second. Very drinkable. Not sure I would want more than 1 or 2 in a sitting, but it was a nice "walking around" beer at the Fall For Greenville "festival". (565 characters)

Okay, as a woman I was told that I had to, had to buy this. That I would love it since its a 'girly beer,' i.e. a fruit beer. Well, let me dispel the myth. Not all women like 'girly beers.' It had an wheat gold appearance with head when poured into the pint glass. It smelled like a peach, but I'm not sure it that was artificial or not. The taste was average for a wheat beer part of it.The mouthfeel was fine. Overall, it was average. Also, had a friend order this on draft recently and re-tasted it, and the feeling was the same. (532 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -20.5%

Picked up a 6pack. It was pretty pricey so I figured it must be really good. Not so much. The appearance was a hazy golden wheat color. The aroma was of peaches. Okay, good on both accounts. The taste bothered me. It was a sweet-swill. I get that it is a fruit beer, and its probably my own fault for buying it. But, I thought it was going to be more peach than sugary sucrose. The mouthfeel was fine. Overall, I would probably tell people to steer clear of this particular beer. I like some fruit beers, but this one missed the mark for me. (541 characters)

3.41/5  rDev -6.6%

Somehow I'm always excited to try fruity beers, and somehow they never seem to live up to my expectations.

This beer pours a murky yellow-orange with essentially zero head, and has no real smell. The taste, as others have noted, is completely dominated by peach, but I don't consider that in-and-of-itself to be a bad thing. The main problem is that the beer is way too sweet and leaves a sticky mouthfeel that, despite being tasty, makes it hard to drink.

Despite the low-ish ratings, I don't think this is a bad beer and don't regret trying it. It's probably a good "beer for people that don't drink beer" sort of beer, but not as much for regular beer drinkers. (666 characters)

3.71/5  rDev +1.6%

a: cloudy, orange amber, not much head at all. I guess you could say that the cloudiness is consistent with the base beer being a wheat, but it is a bit dull and muddy

s: fresh peach is quite noticible

t: peach, nicely balanced with sweet, not much else until just a bit of a bitter edge at the finish to let you know that there are some hops there as well

m: medium, smooth, not as carbonated as you might expect in a wheat

d: overall this is a simple, refreshing, and uncomplicated beer. very easy to drink.

Thanks to jpmclaug for setting me up with this! (563 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +16.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Smelled very peachy to me!! Full of initial flavor with light pleasant peach aftertaste. Decided to mix it with my favorite hefe and made a very nice fruity, but filling beer. Would definitely buy more (204 characters)

Son Of A Peach from RJ Rockers Brewing Company