Son Of A Peach - RJ Rockers Brewing Company

South Carolina, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  6.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: mikesgroove on 02-27-2009

An unfiltered American wheat ale made with real mean peaches. The only thing missing is the fuzz. Savor the anger. Available during the late Spring and Summer months.

Poured into a pint glass on 4/11/10

Appears to be dated 9/11/09

Thanks to smutty33 for an obscure & enjoyable extra

What an interesting show pouring this beer was. As the glass filled with lightly-hued golden yellow I wondered just what I might be getting into. I gave the bottle the old swirl & dumped in a large amount of decidedly darker liquid. Said liquid murkily blended with the clearer beer, turning it into a dense, hazy & somewhat muted concoction a la pineapple juice or some unfiltered fruit smoothie. The one finger head dissipated after a few minutes leaving a thin skim for retention. Lacing is alright.

The aroma is no less interesting. Indeed, peaches are in no short supply. On one hand, it seems juicy with a touch of alcohol. On the other, it seems almost like an orange-sicle frozen snack treat you'd get from an ice cream truck; only done up in peach instead of orange. Wheat notes become more apparent with warmth as do a few bready yeast undertones. Another odd element of the nose is how much each ingredient is appreciable at any point in time (especially the peaches) - sometimes it seems airy, other times somewhat dense.

The taste, based on the nose, isn't at all surprising. Peach notes aplenty set atop a reasonably sturdy back drop of wheat & toasty malts. While that sums it up in sparse details, the overall impression of the beer is much more than the previous sentence suggests. All at once it seems: kind of like beer; kind of not like beer; a little like a healthy fruit blend; somewhat dessert-like; a little natural & a tad artificial. I really don't know what this beer -should- taste like; all I know is that I rather like it as a change of pace.

Son of a peach is essentially medium bodied. While the carbonation offers a mild prickliness upfront, it's fairly tame on the whole which brings out the best in the flavors, I think. It does seem like a slow moving beer - it moves slowly on the palate, in no hurry to leave. Wheat notes & a mild juiciness linger on the finish.

I'm not sure this is entirely indicative of the drinkability but after finishing the bottle I found myself wanting more - if only to further figure out what the heck is going on with this beer. With all honesty I can say I've never had a beer quite like it. I really can't imagine it would something I'd drink frequently, but I'd like to give it another shot sometime. Recommended for the oddity factor alone.

3.67/5  rDev +3.4%

Another bottle from and another nod to: JohnQVegas. Thanks Dustin-- you have been an excellent off-season pickup and I'm glad to have added you to my trading team.

This pours.... oddly enough, kind of peach colored. Nearly white head is thin with really fine bubbles and a sparkley lacing. Some sediment on the bottom-- little dark dots, like ground up vanilla beans.

The first sip is very unsettling. It made me not want to take another. Once I got past that first sip though, I wam surprised how easy drinking this it.

Smells of peaches and apricots... actually reminds me of Jolly Rancher candies. After a few more sips, all I smell are those gummy peaches-- Peachy-Os I think they are called. This smells AMAZING now that it opened up a little. Wow. I'm loving that smell--- too bad this is categorized a pale wheat instead of a fruit beer.

I didn't really like this at first, but it has grown on me. The feel is certainly decent. I'm not the biggest fan of peach flavor, but this isn't too bad. This is really easy drinking despite the giant sweetness that creeps up on me. I do wish this had a little tartness to it to cut through the sweet, but alas... I guess I just need to buy some more Festina Peche.

3.82/5  rDev +7.6%

This brew was served from the tap at The Ginger Man in Greenwich, CT. It arrived in a flared pint glass, glowing a sunburst orange, with darkened hues at the bottom of the glass. The head was one finger tall and creamy white, showing good retention. Thick, wet sheets of lacing stuck around the glass. There was a very thick haze throughout, with a film of sediment along the bottom, and carbonation appeared medium. The aroma was a fistful of peach!! This showed sweet sugariness, but also an uncanny freshness. With warmth this peach air became more similar to those syrupy canned peaches. The grain was wheaty, wet, and dirty with minerals. A final note of sweet buttercream topped the nose off. Our first impression was that the beer was more bitter than expected, but with all the peachy goodness we had hoped for. The flavor opened up with sweet, fresh peach, as in the nose, along with barley, wheat, and slightly adjuncty metallics. The middle peaked with syrupy candied peaches, mixing with bitter wheat, souring grain, and faint lactics. The end showcased more of that bitter wheat, with stone, sour lactics, grassy hops bitterness, and dirty earthiness. The aftertaste breathed of big wheat, more sour grain mash, and more of that faint bitter and grassy hop. The body was medium, and the carbonation was high, prickling the palate. A wet coating was left around the mouth, with no real drying quality. There was cooling sip, and mice frothy slurp and smack, and a pleasantly fresh creaminess. The abv was appropriate, and the beer was easy drinking.

Overall, what we enjoyed most about this brew was how authentic and robust the peach aroma and flavoring was. At no point did it feel synthetic or overdone. The nose sung of summer peaches and cream, while the taste followed through nicely with nice even sweetness, and a bitter finish at the way end. We wish that the sweetness had remained just a bit longer, to help better balance the sourness and bitterness of the final flavors. This is a highly refreshing beer, but due to the glorious peach insanity, this guy will remain for special occasions.

3.79/5  rDev +6.8%

A: Bright orange pour with very little white head as well as little lacing. Definitely unfiltered ... which I liked. You can see lots of little floaties.

S: Didn't get a ton peach right up front which I was surprised to find. I think if I had let it warm just a tad I probably would have gotten a bit more peach scent.

T: This is where the peach shines through. From the second it touched my tongue until it went down the pipe I got smacked in the face with peaches.

D: I really enjoy this beer in the midst of a blazing summer day. It's refreshing and very tasty.

4.41/5  rDev +24.2%

A Pours orange, cloudy and with a thin foam head. Minimal lacing. Sediment visible in glass.

S - The peach scent is incerdible. Smells natural, sweet, and inviting. A secondary wheat aroma is there too; smells like cooked pasta.

T - Flavors of peach are forefront. There is a bit of tangy citrus and grain taste as well. Just lots of flavor and if you like peaches you will love this.

M - Smooth flavors, a bit of a gritty feel to it. Light bodied.

O - This is a variant of what Cigar City does with Peach Jai-Alai. I think this is equally as good though as a different style. Really enjoying these folks from SC.

3.6/5  rDev +1.4%

Served on draft at Laura Alberts in Daniel Island (Charleston), SC.

Goes into the glass from the tap a cloudy, dark pach color. Small head that diminishes to a ring around the collar.

Aroma is peachy for sure. Smells a lot like triple sec liquor.

Flavor is a bit odd. It tastes like a float made with vanilla ice cream and peach shnapps. The peach flavor seem artificial and is quite strong.

Creamy mouthfeel with lower carbonation for the style. I could handle mybe two of these but the sweet peach flavor would get old in a hurry.

2.75/5  rDev -22.5%

3.84/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Served on Tap at Vintage Estates on 8-17-13
Also includes notes from bottle consumed 9-2-13

A - Pours a hazy orange color, fizzy 1 finger white head, little lacing.
S - Fresh peach puree, light lemon zest, wheat and a little bready malt
T - Up front is a big whallop of peach flavor, not overly sweet, or overly ripe feeling, then you get this nice creamy smooth wheat character that together tastes like a peach creamsicle. More towards the end you get this nice hop bite, a little bitter. Tastes fresh though.
M - At some point midway to the end you get some weird harsh bitter flavor, but still its refreshing, mildly creamy and very bright feeling beer.
O - The best fruit/wheat beer I've had to date, outstanding use of peach in this one. On tap its a bit better, but still this is a great sessionable fruit beer.

3.21/5  rDev -9.6%

12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a very hazy dark orange with some chunks floating around. Half finger head that quickly disappears.

The smell is actually pretty nice. Tons of peach with some bubblegum and banana.

Everything seems to go wrong on the taste. Some artificial tasting peach at first quickly followed by bubble gum and an band aid flavor. Wonder if this is infected? A mild hop bitterness cleans the palate on the finish.

Overall, I wasn't impressed. The odd medicinal flavor through me off. But even that aside, nothing seemed to meld together and the flavors were all over the place. Not a good effort.

2.75/5  rDev -22.5%