Son Of A Peach - RJ Rockers Brewing Company

South Carolina, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  6.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: mikesgroove on 02-27-2009

An unfiltered American wheat ale made with real mean peaches. The only thing missing is the fuzz. Savor the anger. Available during the late Spring and Summer months.
3.41/5  rDev -6.8%

Somehow I'm always excited to try fruity beers, and somehow they never seem to live up to my expectations.

This beer pours a murky yellow-orange with essentially zero head, and has no real smell. The taste, as others have noted, is completely dominated by peach, but I don't consider that in-and-of-itself to be a bad thing. The main problem is that the beer is way too sweet and leaves a sticky mouthfeel that, despite being tasty, makes it hard to drink.

Despite the low-ish ratings, I don't think this is a bad beer and don't regret trying it. It's probably a good "beer for people that don't drink beer" sort of beer, but not as much for regular beer drinkers. (666 characters)

3.71/5  rDev +1.4%

a: cloudy, orange amber, not much head at all. I guess you could say that the cloudiness is consistent with the base beer being a wheat, but it is a bit dull and muddy

s: fresh peach is quite noticible

t: peach, nicely balanced with sweet, not much else until just a bit of a bitter edge at the finish to let you know that there are some hops there as well

m: medium, smooth, not as carbonated as you might expect in a wheat

d: overall this is a simple, refreshing, and uncomplicated beer. very easy to drink.

Thanks to jpmclaug for setting me up with this! (563 characters)

2.86/5  rDev -21.9%

Cloudy off orange pour with a small white head and minimal lacing. Artificial peach aroma, artificial peach flavor. Really not much else here. If you’re gonna make a peach brew at least make it taste like real, fresh peaches, not cheap, sticky sweet ones. As you may have guessed, didn’t think too much of this one. Sticky sweet finish and average carbonation. Can't believe this is their most popular beer. The girls must love it. That's probably the only market for it. The kind of girls that used to be a high school parties with wine coolers. (550 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +31.1%

Quite possibly the most pleasing beer by smell I've ever encountered. The taste was light and peachy - very sweet. Can barely taste the wheat beer. The wheat gives it a very creamy finish which compliments the flavor. Overall, an outstanding fruit beer. (254 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Okay, this is what I don't like about certain fruit beers. The brewery goes overboard. It becomes a liquid candy. It becomes less like beer and more like an Orange Crush or something. This one is a Peach Crush though. It's a wheat appearance. Cloudy and with small wheaty particles floating. The smell is overpowering peach. The taste is the same. The mouthfeel is okay with good carbonation. But, overall, if you like peaches... chill one and have it. This is less a beer and more like a mountain dew of peach beer. (516 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +7.1%

Appearance: hazy and cloudy. Little to no head retention with minimal lacing around the glass. Color is actually quite similar to peach skin toned.
Smell: sweet sugary peaches are dominating this beer. Oddly refreshing smell. Smells like candy.
Taste: again. Peaches are the dominant flavor here. Any malt or hops take a far backseat. Very sweet. Only the carbonation shows at the end to give it more life.
Mouthfeel: sweetness coats mouth with lingering peach flavor. Not heavy at all and very refreshing for the style.
Overall: a little one-sided in complexity with peaches dominating every sense. Very light and refreshing though and a nice flavored thirst quencher (668 characters)

I had this in Asheville, NC at the Thirsty Monk South. Happened to try this when a buddy ordered one. Color is amber/red. Aroma is of wheat and peaches. I'm not a huge peach fan, but this beer is refreshingly tasty. Fruit comes through well and is just sweet enough to be refreshing without being cloying. Would be a great beer on a hot day. (341 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +33.1%

Wonderful cool peach flavor that's not overpowering or phony tasting. A bit dark for what I'd expect a peach ale to look like, but comes through clean and smooth. (162 characters)

2.97/5  rDev -18.9%

Friend of mine got this and asked me to taste it. Murky orange pour with a small white head that fades fast. Huge peach aroma with a big syruppy peachy taste. Left a bit of an aftertaste that was hard to shake. The mouthfeel was pretty good. Overall, both my friend and I weren't big fans of this. I don't like to give bad ratings, so this was a tough decision to go ahead and rate it at all. (392 characters)

Poured a hazy orange/honey color with a good amount of sediment floating around. Thin white head. Too thin. Strong aroma of sweet peaches. Taste is mostly of peaches as well, but from a can. The kind you would taste with all the syrup. There are some bitter hops in the finish which combine weirdly with the peach flavors. (322 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +20.8%

Finally able to try this one on tap and was very excited. I've reviewd a couple Rockers brews before, and since they are my local beer I may be a little biased, but this one was really unique. It has a cloudy color, obviously unfiltered; I'd compare its appearance to an apple cider (which was cool). Aroma is full of peaches. I've tried a lot of fruit beers (namely blueberry ales) that smell "fake", but this aroma seems really authentic. Taste has a little peach to it, but not as much as you would expect going off the aroma. Just a little bit alcohol as well which I didn't expect. I'm told the abv is 5.8%. Overall a very refreshing, interesting beer and one that I plan on drinking by the 6 pack over the summer. Can't wait for its release in bottles. (758 characters)

Smells more powerfully peachy than it tastes (which in this case is good)
Taste is pretty good balance of fruit and wheat
Overall I think it is an excellent departure of the norm since I typically don't do fruity beers. (220 characters)

4.56/5  rDev +24.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer "technically" hasn't been released yet, but I've managed to get my hands on it twice so far. Once from the tasting wall at the brewery, and once from a limited trial at Terry's a couple weeks ago. I know I've said Buckwheat was my favorite by RJR, and since I've only tried Son of a Peach twice I'm not going to refute that right now, but let's just say I am EAGERLY anticipating the release of this one! It pours a cloudy peach color with very little head. Aroma is dominated by peach which I think makes it seem like you taste more peach than you actually do. Not sure how or when they added peaches during the process, but it's certainly a unique blend of aroma and taste. This one is not overly sweet at all, especially for a fruit beer. There is a little sweetness at the end, but certainly a beer you could continuously down. Carbonation levels leave this beer crisp and refreshing. I'm sure there are some beer geeks out there that won't give this one a fair shake, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Nice job!!! (1,023 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +31.7%

Poured from a bottle an orange, peachy color into a pint glass. Medium carbonation and rather small, nectarine hued head.

Scent was of a sweet southern peach, reminded me of a a wonderful day on the South Carolina beach... Hints of orange and vanilla as well- fantastic.

Ahhhh... The first drink. Medium carbonation, with cool, refreshing taste of biting into a peach. The fact that I took the drink at the wonderful Red Hen restaurant on Johns Island, SC probably made this first sip even better. It continued to stay wonderful after that.

Good god was this a fantastic and enjoyable summer beer! Fantastic! I found a case at the Piggly Wiggly off of Kiawah and may buy another to take back to Pittsburgh with me. If you find it, buy it! (744 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +24%

SouthernBelle reviewed this one saying that some beer geeks out here may not give this a fair shake. Well, I'm a beer geek, a brewer, a BJCP certified judge, and a beer lover, and I'm about to give this one a very fair shake!

I had three bottles of this beer bottled from a keg of the second batch. I managed to stretch them over three days in order to be sure that my mood at the moment of tasting did not control my impressions. The following observations are an amalgam of those three tastings. One quick note: although at the time of this review the listing on BA categorizes this beer as an American Pale Ale, it is actually an American Pale Wheat Ale (according to the brewer and my taste buds). BA should probably fix this, but you need to understand that going into the review.

Appearance: excellent color (probably in the 3 to 6 SRM range), and a delicate white head. I believe this is an unfiltered product, and had the characteristic cloudiness of a wheat-based fruit beer.

Aroma: peach, peach, peach. The wheat beer that forms the base of this offering is present as an American wheat beer and so does not produce the esters and aromatics of its German cousins. The aroma is very clean, with the peach also displaying mango, pineapple, and apricot undertones. The hops are subdued in the aroma to allow the fruit to blossom. No diacetyl noticeable.

Flavor: again, the peach is up front on the palate, followed by a pleasant sweetness and the graininess of the wheat beer. The IBUs could be slightly higher to counter the sweet, but it is not out of balance as is. What is most important here is that the fruit and the underlying wheat beer are in excellent balance -- the fruit is not cloying, but it is very much present in harmony with the wheat. There is very little malitness, alcohol, or diacetyl present to distract the attention from the fruit and wheat.

Mouthfeel: medium-light body; carbonation level is present by not explosive. No alcohol warming.

Overall Impression: we have here a harmonious marriage of fruit and beer. The choice of peach is the perfect compliment to the American wheat beer, and it is well-presented. Perfect spring and summer beer. (2,185 characters)

2.4/5  rDev -34.4%

This is what happens when you try to get cute with beer. I had such high hopes for this stuff. Heard it was the iconic beer of RJ Rockers. Looked great. Smelled great. Everything seemed to be going well until I took that first sip then . . . . I'm not sure what they have done to this beer. The peach flavoring must come from the peach pit. It doesn't taste much like peaches. As much as it pains me to say it, Bud Light Lime is much better. I'm just thankful I didn't buy a growler of it. (489 characters)

3.77/5  rDev +3%

Poured into a pint glass, dark golden color, not a ton of head even when trying. Definitely smell the fruit in the beer. Good mouth feel, crisp, fresh, mine were bottled less than 28 days ago as I drink this. Pairs well with our dinner, grilled burgers, as I imagine it would with almost anything with strong flavor. The peach taste is there but not crazy peachy, just enough to feel like I'm still drinking beer and not one of my wife's wine coolers. I love anything from the Carolinas. They're great water makes for great beers and this one is up there for summery, sweeter tasting stuff that I want to be able to drink a few of in one sitting. Great for family grill nights but I wouldn't serve it at my poker games. (719 characters)

4.14/5  rDev +13.1%

I really like this beer. As a local to RJ's I have tried most of their beers and this is my second go-to if i want something with a little bit more flavors than the Brown-Eyed Squirrel. The peach is very present but it is not overpowering in the least. It has just enough hops ABV to keep it an enjoyable beer for BBQ's, get-togethers, etc. My favorite part of this is the aroma and after-taste. Drink from the bottle or in a glass. Either way you can't go wrong. (463 characters)

4.51/5  rDev +23.2%

A great tasting peach wheat ale light in color with an amazing taste very sweet goes great w a salty pretzel ,but I only like to drink one because it's so so sweet most fruity beers are I only wish I like the rest of RJ Rockers beers which don't do,anything for me and my beer buddy's (284 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

Meh not that great. There are better fruity wheat beers. I had this at Packs Tavern in Asheville. How long foes the comment length need to be to be acceptable ? I feel like I ant up if just for the hell out of it. Just get a lambic if you want fruity; or AllagAsh White for a better wheat. (292 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -13.9%

A: Poured a hazy orange/honey color with a good amount of sediment floating around. Head is thin and white.

S: Aroma is very strong of peaches. Not much else because the peach smell is so strong. Some malts can be detected by not by much.

T: Taste is also mostly of peaches. The flavor is very sweet at first and flavorful. The finish has some bitter hops that combine strangely with the peach sweetness. I would have preferred that the taste not have bitterness at the end, even if it meant less complexity. Finish is a bit dry too.

M: Slightly thick tasting with a decent amount of carbonation. Finish is a little too bitter.

O: Overall an interesting beer, but it is quite one-dimensional and not terribly complex. Definitely worth a try though. (753 characters)

4.18/5  rDev +14.2%

I don't typically enjoy wheat beers. I usually don't even think to order them because I don't even feel like I can judge them fairly, but while visiting this brewery in SC I decided to try it.

I'm sure this beer changes from year to year because it is a seasonal. It pours very cloudy and orange. It has a very nice head though and smells sweet and peachy. I'm guessing they use frozen peaches because fresh would probably add a very inconsistant flavoring depending on the crop.

I can definitely taste the higher abv in this beer. It has a somewhat bitter finish, but think it's a great wheat beer. (603 characters)

2.07/5  rDev -43.4%

A BeerSmart Review:

I always want to be fair accurate and truthful in my reviews and get right to the point. This was a deliciously looking draft, clear with a light effervescent head. It looked like an easy-to-drink, flavorful, summertime staple.

Call it a bad tap, bad batch or simply a bad beer, but the highly anticipated instant taste of peach was quickly overpowered by the taste of women's perfume. A second palate clearing sip ended with the same result. If this sounds appealing this may be your beer, but for this craft beer lover it's most definitely not.

Bottom line: UNFINISHABLE (595 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I had this beer on a whim. I saw it in the cooler at work as a special craft night beer. I popped it after hours and took a few sips. I figured it would be nice and refreshing and boy was I right! It was so sweet and perfect. Pale ale and had amazing peach hints through the whole experience. To me it would be an amazing summer beer. I loved it so much our local Sam's Club sales local beers and I stocked up!!! Favorite for now! (430 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +15.6%

I like this flavor a lot and get a great scent from the beer. It could have a bit of different body to enhance flavor and more of a peach aftertaste. I would buy it again. (171 characters)

Son Of A Peach from RJ Rockers Brewing Company