Son Of A Peach - RJ Rockers Brewing Company

South Carolina, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  6.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: mikesgroove on 02-27-2009

An unfiltered American wheat ale made with real mean peaches. The only thing missing is the fuzz. Savor the anger. Available during the late Spring and Summer months.
4.21/5  rDev +16.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Had this on tap at Tupelo Honey in Myrtle Beach. Really good beer. Refreshing taste from this golden ale with the smell of peaches. I was most surprised at the peach taste as it wasn't overwhelming at all (like u may think). The peach compliments the beer perfectly. Would definitely purchase again.

3.69/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is a pretty tasty peach ale. it's not going to blow you away, but for those who like the taste of peach this is a solid choice. just wish it had a little more carbonation as it felt slightly flat to me.

3.86/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

This smelled amazing coming right out of the bottle. Tasted similar, that of a nice peach flavor with a decent amount of carbonation. Once you caught the after taste tho it was a little bland. Great up front but the back end lacked big time for me.

3.92/5  rDev +8.6%

A: A hazy gold bordering on copper. Medium amount of head with little retention. Still, quite good.

S: The peach is strong, but not overbearing. Bready.

T: Peach, malts, biscuits, simple, yet effective.

M: It's a bit heavier than most other wheats, but I'm guessing this is due to the peach content.

A good beer. Won't be a regular for me, but glad I tried it.

3.77/5  rDev +4.4%

Poured into a pint glass, dark golden color, not a ton of head even when trying. Definitely smell the fruit in the beer. Good mouth feel, crisp, fresh, mine were bottled less than 28 days ago as I drink this. Pairs well with our dinner, grilled burgers, as I imagine it would with almost anything with strong flavor. The peach taste is there but not crazy peachy, just enough to feel like I'm still drinking beer and not one of my wife's wine coolers. I love anything from the Carolinas. They're great water makes for great beers and this one is up there for summery, sweeter tasting stuff that I want to be able to drink a few of in one sitting. Great for family grill nights but I wouldn't serve it at my poker games.

4.6/5  rDev +27.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I happened across this beer at a local craft beer and burger joint in Brentwood, TN. It was recommended by a fellow YELP'er and it did not disappoint. Appearance - medium golden with light foam. Smell - wonderful peachy aroma but not overpowering. Taste - absolutely delicious wheat ale, not overpowering sweetness you might expect from a peach ale. Feel - great! Not too light, nice and crisp. It is my humble opinion a nice cold draft I thoroughly enjoyed. I try to go back when in town to have another. Haven't found it anywhere else yet. Disappointed to read its only available in Spring and Summer.

4.14/5  rDev +14.7%

I really like this beer. As a local to RJ's I have tried most of their beers and this is my second go-to if i want something with a little bit more flavors than the Brown-Eyed Squirrel. The peach is very present but it is not overpowering in the least. It has just enough hops ABV to keep it an enjoyable beer for BBQ's, get-togethers, etc. My favorite part of this is the aroma and after-taste. Drink from the bottle or in a glass. Either way you can't go wrong.

4.25/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Smelled very peachy to me!! Full of initial flavor with light pleasant peach aftertaste. Decided to mix it with my favorite hefe and made a very nice fruity, but filling beer. Would definitely buy more

4.23/5  rDev +17.2%

I like this flavor a lot and get a great scent from the beer. It could have a bit of different body to enhance flavor and more of a peach aftertaste. I would buy it again.

3.74/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I graded this beer lower based off of that the label states it is an wheat ale, but nothing about this beer drinks like a wheat ale. It is light in the body, smells like artificial flavoring out that you get with soda pop, it has a thin mouth feel. The taste of the peaches though it is worth a try if you like peaches, but not worth trying if your looking for a good American wheat ale

3.79/5  rDev +5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured into snifter glass. This is a honey-colored beer, quite opaque with small bits of what appears to be pulp. There is minimal head and lacing. Quite fragrant with a strong aroma of peach. The taste is wheat forward with abundant peach sweetness but a surprisingly bitter finish. It has an almost champagne-like mouth feel. Overall, this is an interesting fruit beer. Other reviewers seem to either love or hate it but I don't have a strong feeling either way. While I'm glad I tried it and enjoyed it as a change of pace on a hot day, I won't go out of my way to seek it out.

2.9/5  rDev -19.7%

BOD 4/3/15. Pours a cloudy light medium amber with heavy particulate suspension. Virtually no head, lacing or retention. The worst head characteristics I've ever seen.

Nice nose of canned peaches over a touch of biscuit. No hop character whatsoever.

Light body with a texture slightly thicker than water. Below normal carbonation with light effervescence in the finish.

The flavor profile is weak in intensity, almost one dimensional but well balanced. It begins with weak canned peaches. The middle is where canned peaches are most intense over a mild bitterness that is accompanied with a balancing biscuit sweetness against a subtle wheat character. The finish is a slow fade of slightly bitter canned peaches.

1.44/5  rDev -60.1%

Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a pint glass.
Aroma- Smells like artificial peaches.
Appearance- The best part of this beer. A nice murky amber colored beer with a small white head.
Taste- Absolutely terrible, it was such a train-wreck of faux peaches and wheat that I couldn't even drink this. I have finished off some amazingly bad beers in the past.
Palate- hmmm, YUCK
Overall- Terrible beer, I have had several other RJ Rocker beers and they were decent, this one is abysmal.

2.85/5  rDev -21.1%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Meh. I tried this on a hot day in Florida since I thought it might hit the spot and its just not doing it for me. The aroma and taste were like the syrup from a can of peaches, which I personally don't find appetizing. I understand it says real peaches but I just wasn't tasting a fresh peach there. Maybe it was just not the right batch.

2.6/5  rDev -28%

Poured a hazy orange with a finger of white head and some sparse lacing. Smells of peach obviously. Tastes more artificial/rotten peach than fresh peach. Feels good in the mouth but the taste overpowers anything good. Overall not a fan of this wheat ale.

4.87/5  rDev +34.9%

Wonderful cool peach flavor that's not overpowering or phony tasting. A bit dark for what I'd expect a peach ale to look like, but comes through clean and smooth.

3.48/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours a slightly hazy gold with touches of amber. Medium collar, great lacing, good wisps and decent head. Aroma is great; like a fresh juicy peach with a some wheatiness to it as well. Taste is where it falls off a bit. I get the peach, but it tastes manufactured. Peach up front, wheaty banana in the middle and some odd bitter spiciness at the end. Medium body, low carbonation and a slightly grainy mouthfeel too.

3.57/5  rDev -1.1%

A: Hazy orange with moderate lacing, pretty white head.

S: Candied peaches; delicious. Slight maltiness.

T: Slightly underwhelming, but kind of in a good way. I was expecting a Snapple type sweetness after nosing the beer, but the peach flavor here is much more natural and muted. A very slight sweetness with noticeable malts, peach flavor is there but not in full-force. Sweetness completely fade on the finish, leaving a slightly bitter taste in the mouth.

M: Moderate carbonation with a slight astringency, especially on the finish. Lighter on the body, but definitely has that unfiltered wheat texture to it.

O: I could see this being an extremely refreshing change of pace on a hot summer afternoon. Not something I would drink regularly, but interesting and worth a shot.

4.8/5  rDev +33%

Quite possibly the most pleasing beer by smell I've ever encountered. The taste was light and peachy - very sweet. Can barely taste the wheat beer. The wheat gives it a very creamy finish which compliments the flavor. Overall, an outstanding fruit beer.

2.98/5  rDev -17.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Poured into a sam adams custom glass, color is gold, fairly dense, small bubbles, head is white, dense with a mixture of small bubbles and some nice lacing along the glass.

Smell is feint pale malts, larger fruity, peach character, some light toast.

Taste begins pleasant, nice peach flavor, light malt presence, then transitions to off flavors and extreme drying character. Lingering flavors are not enticing, very dry and not balanced.

Mouthfeel is dry, bitter, not pleasant

Overall, this beer looks and starts well but the finish and flavor are off putting, too dry and not balanced, possibly a bad batch?

2.98/5  rDev -17.5%

Too much peach here. Too much sweetness for me. The peach is huge in the nose. There's some hop character toward the end but not too much and the alcohol is well masked by the sweet peach flavor.

Smells more powerfully peachy than it tastes (which in this case is good)
Taste is pretty good balance of fruit and wheat
Overall I think it is an excellent departure of the norm since I typically don't do fruity beers.

3.4/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A: hazy; honey colored; 1 finger off white head that receded quickly; moderate lacing;

S: intense fresh and canned peaches;

T: canned peaches up front, but not as intense as the aroma; by mid-palate, wheat takes over and dominates through the finish; mild bitterness on the finish;

M: light to medium bodied; moderate carbonation;

O: I would have liked a more intense peach flavor;

3.2/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A - Hazy honey colored, light cream head.

S - Candied peaches mostly. Pretty overwhelming, maybe light hints of a typical wheat beer.

T - Sulfury peach flavored Flintstone's vitamins. Medicinal and fake peach flavor. I'm really stressing to find something good to say about the flavor. But it escapes me.

M - Other than the lingering sulfuric finish, the body is appropriately light and well carbonated

3.21/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

Meh not that great. There are better fruity wheat beers. I had this at Packs Tavern in Asheville. How long foes the comment length need to be to be acceptable ? I feel like I ant up if just for the hell out of it. Just get a lambic if you want fruity; or AllagAsh White for a better wheat.

Son Of A Peach from RJ Rockers Brewing Company