Son Of A Peach - RJ Rockers Brewing Company

South Carolina, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  6.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: mikesgroove on 02-27-2009

An unfiltered American wheat ale made with real mean peaches. The only thing missing is the fuzz. Savor the anger. Available during the late Spring and Summer months.
firstprev| 126-150 | 151-175 | 176-200  | next → last
3.45/5  rDev -4.4%

Poured into a weizen glass.

4.0 A: Hazy light orange color. Creamy base, frothy topped head has good retention and leaves lots of lacing.

4.0 S: Oh boy are the peaches forthright. The only issue is that it seems very artificial, like the peach ring gummy candy instead of real peaches. Still highly enjoyable (those gummies are awesome). Too a much less extent, there is the wheat base.

3.0 T: Nothing special here. The peach that was so apparent in the nose barely shows up in the taste. The wheat, however, comes through just fine. With some refinement, this could be a very good and unique beer, but right now it's just okay.

3.5 M: Medium body. The body's a bit thicker than the style would like and the carbonation is a bit low.

3.5 D: I imagine this would be good on a hot day, but some others would be better.

4.59/5  rDev +27.1%

Just tried this with Case Wood of RJ Rockers.

Appearance: Cloudy Mango/Orange/Amber Color. Slight head with very little lacing.

Smell: Fresh South Carolina Peaches with a hint of creamy aroma.

Taste: A refreshing wash of peach over the palate with a hint of brown sugar. An easy tart finish with notes of grapefruit/hops.

Mouthfeel: Refreshing. Feels wonderful on the palate. Medium-full bodied seasonal.

Drinkability: I was reluctant at first to try this beer. I've had a bad time with fruit driven beers in the past. This Pale Wheat is the perfect summer refresher. I highly recommend it not just for the girlfriend, but the craft beer enthusiast. It tastes fresh, and could be very enjoyable as a session beer. For the witbier/hefeweizen drinkers - take a step out of your box - this beer's a crowd pleaser.

3.97/5  rDev +10%

RJ Rockers is my local brewery, and I have been looking foward to trying this brew. Although Im usually not a fan of American fruit beer, Wheat beer are one of my favorite styles and I love peaches as well.
An aggresive pour yields a hazy murky tea pale colored wheat brew. A light head dissapates at a quite alarming rate for a hefe.
Smells definatley of peach. A bit lemony, tart and acidic. Digging deeper, this is not truly a fresh-peach bouquet of floral freshness, rather slightly "processed" if you will. Peach candy comes to mind, as well as peach soda, or cream savers if you've had those.
At first taste, a local company used to produce a candy called Peach Buds, this is truly the liquid version. Starts a bit sweet, sugary, then finishes with a slighty acidic bit that makes the sweetness lightly dissapate. A light yeastiness in the background adds a nice creaminess to the beer rednolent of a nice juicy peach.
Given the low ABV, and light drinkablitity, this is a great summer beeer here in the hot, humid South.
If I had my choice on a hot patio outside, and were sticking to the local brewery, I would prefer to drink RJ's regular wheat ale, but when it came time to make dinner, I would break this one out. This would be excellent paired with coconut-pineapple glazed shrimp and arugula salad, pork chops with grilled peaches and balsamic reduction, or even sweet vanilla mousse. Who doesn't like peaches and cream?
Well done RJ Rockers, another tool in my culinary arsenal

3.58/5  rDev -0.8%

Appearance: Pours a clouded, appropriately wheat-hued body with a wispy, but lasting, white head.

Smell: Predominately fruity but also fairly wheaten aroma with the bulk of the scent made up by ripe, juicy peaches. Aroma = Peaches > Wheat.

Taste: Slightly tangy malted wheat with a few chunks of honey-coated graham crackers and tiny hint of vanilla. The sweetness, thankfully, is nicely restrained. Of course, there's a strong peach flavor with a touch of tartness to it, though not quite as forward as the aroma suggested. I detect a slight bitterness, though no real discernible hop flavors. Finishes rather dry with a faintly tart lingering peach flavor.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: A fine, fruit-flavored wheat ale for a pint's worth, particularly if you're a peach aficionado. Though I can't help but hold it aloft with a wink and declare it one for the la--HAHA, ah, that Ding. With only 7 reviews currently entered, he's already beaten me to that conclusion. Well, I still stand by my verdict -- Son of a Peach is one for the ladies! Which, now that I think about it, isn't a half-bad name for a beer to begin with.

4.07/5  rDev +12.7%

She pours a cloudy orange with a good head of little bubbles. The lacing and retention are both pretty nice.
The smell is overwhelmingly peach, but it smells nice and fresh. There is a bit of citrus notes from the hops as well.
The taste is similar, only the peach does not jump up and down for attention, it just lingers throughout and emerges alone in the finish. Excellent pairing of fruit and beer in the flavor.
The mouthfeel is well carbonated with a light crisp body, I could drink this on a hot South Carolina summer day without a problem. Another solid offering from a solid brewer.

4.42/5  rDev +22.4%

Finally able to try this one on tap and was very excited. I've reviewd a couple Rockers brews before, and since they are my local beer I may be a little biased, but this one was really unique. It has a cloudy color, obviously unfiltered; I'd compare its appearance to an apple cider (which was cool). Aroma is full of peaches. I've tried a lot of fruit beers (namely blueberry ales) that smell "fake", but this aroma seems really authentic. Taste has a little peach to it, but not as much as you would expect going off the aroma. Just a little bit alcohol as well which I didn't expect. I'm told the abv is 5.8%. Overall a very refreshing, interesting beer and one that I plan on drinking by the 6 pack over the summer. Can't wait for its release in bottles.

3.45/5  rDev -4.4%

Tasted this with the Charlotte Beer Club.
Pours a peachy color, surprise! Light orange-amber, thin white head.
Nose is full of peach and some light malts with some slight sweet hop hints.
Taste is slightly tart, not very sweet peachy, more like the peel and pit of the peach. It's more of a pilsner taste than anything else and the peach notes get milder sip by sip and the finish gets milder at the same time.
An easy drinker and something worth saving for hot weather mingling and such.

4.54/5  rDev +25.8%

SouthernBelle reviewed this one saying that some beer geeks out here may not give this a fair shake. Well, I'm a beer geek, a brewer, a BJCP certified judge, and a beer lover, and I'm about to give this one a very fair shake!

I had three bottles of this beer bottled from a keg of the second batch. I managed to stretch them over three days in order to be sure that my mood at the moment of tasting did not control my impressions. The following observations are an amalgam of those three tastings. One quick note: although at the time of this review the listing on BA categorizes this beer as an American Pale Ale, it is actually an American Pale Wheat Ale (according to the brewer and my taste buds). BA should probably fix this, but you need to understand that going into the review.

Appearance: excellent color (probably in the 3 to 6 SRM range), and a delicate white head. I believe this is an unfiltered product, and had the characteristic cloudiness of a wheat-based fruit beer.

Aroma: peach, peach, peach. The wheat beer that forms the base of this offering is present as an American wheat beer and so does not produce the esters and aromatics of its German cousins. The aroma is very clean, with the peach also displaying mango, pineapple, and apricot undertones. The hops are subdued in the aroma to allow the fruit to blossom. No diacetyl noticeable.

Flavor: again, the peach is up front on the palate, followed by a pleasant sweetness and the graininess of the wheat beer. The IBUs could be slightly higher to counter the sweet, but it is not out of balance as is. What is most important here is that the fruit and the underlying wheat beer are in excellent balance -- the fruit is not cloying, but it is very much present in harmony with the wheat. There is very little malitness, alcohol, or diacetyl present to distract the attention from the fruit and wheat.

Mouthfeel: medium-light body; carbonation level is present by not explosive. No alcohol warming.

Overall Impression: we have here a harmonious marriage of fruit and beer. The choice of peach is the perfect compliment to the American wheat beer, and it is well-presented. Perfect spring and summer beer.

4.56/5  rDev +26.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer "technically" hasn't been released yet, but I've managed to get my hands on it twice so far. Once from the tasting wall at the brewery, and once from a limited trial at Terry's a couple weeks ago. I know I've said Buckwheat was my favorite by RJR, and since I've only tried Son of a Peach twice I'm not going to refute that right now, but let's just say I am EAGERLY anticipating the release of this one! It pours a cloudy peach color with very little head. Aroma is dominated by peach which I think makes it seem like you taste more peach than you actually do. Not sure how or when they added peaches during the process, but it's certainly a unique blend of aroma and taste. This one is not overly sweet at all, especially for a fruit beer. There is a little sweetness at the end, but certainly a beer you could continuously down. Carbonation levels leave this beer crisp and refreshing. I'm sure there are some beer geeks out there that won't give this one a fair shake, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Nice job!!!

firstprev| 126-150 | 151-175 | 176-200  | next → last