Son Of A Peach - RJ Rockers Brewing Company

South Carolina, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  6.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: mikesgroove on 02-27-2009

An unfiltered American wheat ale made with real mean peaches. The only thing missing is the fuzz. Savor the anger. Available during the late Spring and Summer months.
Ratings: 669 | Reviews: 191

Smells more powerfully peachy than it tastes (which in this case is good)
Taste is pretty good balance of fruit and wheat
Overall I think it is an excellent departure of the norm since I typically don't do fruity beers.

4.5/5  rDev +26.8%

Excellent summer beer for a breakaway from the norm.

Good if you like a sweet fruit beer

4.5/5  rDev +26.8%

I like this beer; the peach flavor keeps it from being too hoppy. Not pretentious, just a good beer. And the 5.8% doesn't hurt either.

3.4/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A: hazy; honey colored; 1 finger off white head that receded quickly; moderate lacing;

S: intense fresh and canned peaches;

T: canned peaches up front, but not as intense as the aroma; by mid-palate, wheat takes over and dominates through the finish; mild bitterness on the finish;

M: light to medium bodied; moderate carbonation;

O: I would have liked a more intense peach flavor;

3.2/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A - Hazy honey colored, light cream head.

S - Candied peaches mostly. Pretty overwhelming, maybe light hints of a typical wheat beer.

T - Sulfury peach flavored Flintstone's vitamins. Medicinal and fake peach flavor. I'm really stressing to find something good to say about the flavor. But it escapes me.

M - Other than the lingering sulfuric finish, the body is appropriately light and well carbonated

3.21/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

Meh not that great. There are better fruity wheat beers. I had this at Packs Tavern in Asheville. How long foes the comment length need to be to be acceptable ? I feel like I ant up if just for the hell out of it. Just get a lambic if you want fruity; or AllagAsh White for a better wheat.

3.86/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Picked up a six-pack of this while on vacation due to a friend telling me this is a must. 12oz bottle poured into a standard pint, the brew appears a hazy golden color with a white cap. Some stringy patches of lace retains well on the glass.

The aroma includes earthy peach with a juicy sweetness and a touch of straw grain. Some sulfuric notes fill out the rest of the nose profile.

The taste is straw-like grain before a bit of perfume-like peach fruited quality. A little grassy with earth and sulfur notes towards the finish. A slight bitterness is present rounding out the brew reminding you this is still beer.

This is medium to lighter bodied with a modest amount of carbonation. This is a pretty decent fruited wheat - nothing more or less. I suppose it should be noted that this packs about as much peach character as you can 'naturally' get in a brew with only a slight perfume-like ester going on in it.

3.95/5  rDev +11.3%

07/11/13 Back again. I need to walk around with a growler to drag some of this back to the cave for a porcine sacrifice or better yet go down & get some Sara Jenkins porchetta...that's the ticket, porchetta.

Jun'12 On tap. 1 year on, this remains a refreshing summer delight. Don't be fooled by the nose, it's not as brash as first blush. A welcome July quaff. At only 5.8%, depending on availability, this could become a true fav. I'm thinking backyard (who am I kidding, I live in NYC...but I can dream, can't I?) BBQ match up. Alternating with a straight ahead wheat, one could not ask for more. Did I mention pork? If not, pork!

10/12/11 On tap at Rattle n Hum, NYC. Good balance. Not sweet, not bitter very little hops, which is to my liking.

4.29/5  rDev +20.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This is a really good beer. If you like peach flavored drinks then you will like this beer. It has a gloden look to it. Their is not that much head like some beers have. The smell is really good. The taste is also really good as well. Tou actually can taste the peach flavor that it has. It is not too strong like some beers are. It is not a heavy beer, but it is also not too light at the sametime.

3.48/5  rDev -2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Pours a slightly hazed orange color. Smells like a peach creamsickle. Vanilla ice cream and peach preserves in the flavor. Really bright and peachy. Little bitterness, some toffee flavors to go with sugary peaches. A bit on the sweet side. Light to medium body. Overall, this is a solid peach ale. I'd do it again.

3.78/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured on-tap in a shaker pint, the beer is a deep, vibrant, caramel-gold coloring, with a frothy, white head. Aromas of sweet peach fruit forward, on a subtle bread backbone. Flavors of sweet peach forward, with a toasted grain backbone, and subtle citrus highlights. Simple, well balanced, and damn tasty. Smooth, mid-bodied, with a toasted and subtle tangy sweet aftertaste. Smooth, clean finish. Great warm weather beer.

3.97/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I had this beer on a whim. I saw it in the cooler at work as a special craft night beer. I popped it after hours and took a few sips. I figured it would be nice and refreshing and boy was I right! It was so sweet and perfect. Pale ale and had amazing peach hints through the whole experience. To me it would be an amazing summer beer. I loved it so much our local Sam's Club sales local beers and I stocked up!!! Favorite for now!

3.55/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: 1 inch head, hazy, orange-brown in color, moderate carbonation

Smell: sour peach mix

Taste: peach, white grape, wheat, and light hops

Mouthfeel: sweet with light bitterness, light bodied with moderate carbonation

Overall: An above average peachy ale that has enough bitterness to balance out the fruit. Nothing groundbreaking, but I could see myself finishing off a six pack quickly during the warmer months.

3.3/5  rDev -7%

[Suggested Glassware: Weizen Glass]

The pour was a hazy medium brownish orange with a huge (3-4 finger) off white rocky head that lasted throughout, thus producing thick sheets of foamy sticky lacing.

The aroma was all about the peaches along with a mild biscuit malt and a sweet moldy yeast and not much else.

The taste was moderately sweet an a tad acidic with a strong wheat presence in the beginning, progressing with a slight bitterness along with a mild tartness and a bold peach flavor towards the finish. The flavor lasted and average duration proceeding the swallow, with a light bitter peach aftertaste that faded slowly off the taste buds.

Mouthfeel was a few steps below medium in body with a thin dry texture and a medium carbonation.

Overall I thought this was an average tasting brew, with a lot of peach flavor and a touch of wheat. I think it would make a good dessert beer, and would pair very well with some cobbler…

3.93/5  rDev +10.7%

R.J. Rocker Son of a Peach has a very thick, off-white head, a semi-clear, deep golden (peachy, even) appearance, with lots of intense bubble streams and roiling brown chunks. Thick lacing is left behind. The aroma is of peaches and a hint of bread. Taste is of peaches, sugar, syrup, bread, and a touch of bitterness. Mouthfeel is light and watery, and R.J. Rocker Son of a Peach finishes dry, refreshing, sweet, and easy going. Overall, this is one of the better fruit beers I have had.

RJT

3.75/5  rDev +5.6%

I was surprised to see an offering from South Carolina at my local grocer, and this my first time crossing the state line.

When I poured this one into my pint glass, the aroma of peach was very strong, and the head was fairly ivory colored, which tells me that they could have overdone the spice elements. The color was what I expected, an unfiltered cloud of wheat that would go well with a swiss cheese and fruit salad. However, the freshness of this beer was quite refreshing for my palate and my mind, as I have been drinking predominately lagers recently.

When I tasted it, the peach and biscuit malt taste was on top, with the hops not too pronounced, pretty much what to expect from fruit flavored beers. It reminds me of a peach Blue Moon, if there ever was such a thing.

After this beer was done, I made a mental note to get a good Belgian white with no fruit. Time to get back to basics.

3.84/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Served on Tap at Vintage Estates on 8-17-13
Also includes notes from bottle consumed 9-2-13

A - Pours a hazy orange color, fizzy 1 finger white head, little lacing.
S - Fresh peach puree, light lemon zest, wheat and a little bready malt
T - Up front is a big whallop of peach flavor, not overly sweet, or overly ripe feeling, then you get this nice creamy smooth wheat character that together tastes like a peach creamsicle. More towards the end you get this nice hop bite, a little bitter. Tastes fresh though.
M - At some point midway to the end you get some weird harsh bitter flavor, but still its refreshing, mildly creamy and very bright feeling beer.
O - The best fruit/wheat beer I've had to date, outstanding use of peach in this one. On tap its a bit better, but still this is a great sessionable fruit beer.

3.58/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a Seattle Beer Week pint glass. Pours a medium peachy golden amber with a huge white head with decent retention and lacing. Aroma dominated by fresh peach juice with hints of biscuit malt and wheat. Flavor follows aroma with peachy biscuit malt and wheat, a light hop and malt finish. Light to medium bodied. The peach is nice, but this leaned more towards a light amber ale profile than a wheat ale. I think I would have liked this peach melded with a more distinct classic wheat ale. High scores on the deft use of peach juice, but less so the underlying body.

3.66/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Still new to the beer scene, good friend took me to a bar to try some seasonals. This was one of my first seasonal craft beer experiences, so i'll try to be accurate.
A- Very warm color, almost peachy tints. Little head retention noted, left a small ring of beige-white foam.
S- if this were a cologne, i'd wear it. smells absolutely amazing, fruit notes right off the bat with a good herbal note.
T- Not quite what was expected, first got a mouth of sweet peach flavor, almost candy like. the one thing that killed me, is that my friend said it reminds her of sunscreen. for the rest of the night i could not forget this on my palate as i drank. Finish was almost nutty, maybe almond?
M- almost slippery when rolled around, leaves a slight film but isn't unpleasant at all. feels rather refreshing on the tongue
O- As a first experience, this was not a bad one for seasonal beer. I would certainly drink this again given the opportunity but at the same time i will not go ape-crazy for it when i see it on tap. If you're into fruit flavored beer, this might be right up your alley.

2.07/5  rDev -41.7%

A BeerSmart Review:

I always want to be fair accurate and truthful in my reviews and get right to the point. This was a deliciously looking draft, clear with a light effervescent head. It looked like an easy-to-drink, flavorful, summertime staple.

Call it a bad tap, bad batch or simply a bad beer, but the highly anticipated instant taste of peach was quickly overpowered by the taste of women's perfume. A second palate clearing sip ended with the same result. If this sounds appealing this may be your beer, but for this craft beer lover it's most definitely not.

Bottom line: UNFINISHABLE

4.31/5  rDev +21.4%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

174 calories per bottle at 6% ABV. Not a bad fruit flavored seasonal. The peach taste is not too lite or too strong. I could last through a 6'er with this one. The best part is there is no over dose of sweetness and the aftertaste is works, which seems to be main problem with a fruit flavored beer. I would buy again.

3.34/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Hazy orange (peachy?) glass pours with a huge white meringue head that was dense enough to have different texture and color as it dried out on top. The head was a little over the top in size but nice to see it last and coat the glass with sticky lace.

Smell: Full fruity nose, it says "fruit extract flavoring" to me, but does hit the peach mark. It overwhelms any other beer like smell.

Taste: Generally light flavor save for the pretty intense fruit aspect. Tastes a little Jolly Ranger, candied peach rather than a drippy ripe fruit. Nothing really wrong, just heavy handed on the fruit flavoring.

Mouthfeel: Medium light body, a bit fizzy in the carbonation, little oily finish that slowly soaks in.

Overall: A pretty good package, but a little to artificial and overdone for my tastes. The beer under it is pretty light lagerish, so not a lot of depth or complexity going on. Still, glad I tried it and would be welcome on a hot summer day.
Thanks to Illudium for the sample!

3.42/5  rDev -3.7%

Fruit beers like this seem old school, or shall I say, so ten years ago.

The nose on this beer is awesome. Just like a fuzzed up peach. The rest of the experience is not so interesting. I am sure these beers have an appeal in the mass market, but I am looking for other things.

4.63/5  rDev +30.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I really enjoyed this beer. While it has heavy peach flavoring, it's not sweet at all, so you can have more than one and not OD on the sweetness that is the downfall of many fruity beers (in my opinion). Give it a shot and see if you like it. I've definitely had MUCH worse. I'd buy this for my home (I originally had it at a bar). Happy tasting!

Son Of A Peach from RJ Rockers Brewing Company