Son Of A Peach - RJ Rockers Brewing Company

RJ Rockers Brewing Company visit their website
South Carolina, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  6.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

An unfiltered American wheat ale made with real mean peaches. The only thing missing is the fuzz. Savor the anger. Available during the late Spring and Summer months.

(Beer added by: mikesgroove on 02-27-2009)
View: Beers (31) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
bs870621345

3.45/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Pours a rusty orange color with a tiny bit of head and minimal lacing. Its sort of a dull orange color and not overly appealing.

Smells like candied peach and a light wheat smell. It smells pretty good really.

Opens with peach and some wheat flavors come through. Its simple, straight forward, and enjoyable.

Mouthfeel is a little thick and not enough carbonation for my liking.

Overall, its refreshing and it delivers on exactly what you would expect from son of a peach. Beats my expectations, but not by much.

06-15-2011 23:41:29 | More by bs870621345
GSmithBeer

3.28/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Okay, this is what I don't like about certain fruit beers. The brewery goes overboard. It becomes a liquid candy. It becomes less like beer and more like an Orange Crush or something. This one is a Peach Crush though. It's a wheat appearance. Cloudy and with small wheaty particles floating. The smell is overpowering peach. The taste is the same. The mouthfeel is okay with good carbonation. But, overall, if you like peaches... chill one and have it. This is less a beer and more like a mountain dew of peach beer.

06-15-2011 23:18:26 | More by GSmithBeer
HuskyinPDX

Washington

3.3/5  rDev -6.8%

Another SE gem sent to me from billab914.

12oz bottle poured into my Deschutes Pint.

A - Pours a pale, cloudy medium orange with a thin, near-white head.

S - Strong peach, and that is it.

T - Peaches, and some wheat flavors.

D - Surprisingly mild and un-sweet for a fruit forward beer. Light in the mouht.

O - Overall, not bad. This isn't my favorite style, but I enjoyed this one.

06-14-2011 04:23:40 | More by HuskyinPDX
Thorpe429

2.6/5  rDev -26.6%

From the bottle at SAVOR 2011. Served in a goblet.

ours a slightly-cloudy peach color with a small white head and a few spots of lacing on the way down. The nose brings peach character that is reminiscent of a Jolly Rancher. Very artificial. The taste is the same way, except it tastes like artificial sweetener as well. Too sweet and that's in a bad way. Not a fan at all.

06-10-2011 13:22:56 | More by Thorpe429
cjohnson

3.48/5  rDev -1.7%

Somehow I'm always excited to try fruity beers, and somehow they never seem to live up to my expectations.

This beer pours a murky yellow-orange with essentially zero head, and has no real smell. The taste, as others have noted, is completely dominated by peach, but I don't consider that in-and-of-itself to be a bad thing. The main problem is that the beer is way too sweet and leaves a sticky mouthfeel that, despite being tasty, makes it hard to drink.

Despite the low-ish ratings, I don't think this is a bad beer and don't regret trying it. It's probably a good "beer for people that don't drink beer" sort of beer, but not as much for regular beer drinkers.

06-08-2011 02:04:35 | More by cjohnson
JHamm

Delaware

3.93/5  rDev +11%

Appearance: hazy and cloudy. Little to no head retention with minimal lacing around the glass. Color is actually quite similar to peach skin toned.
Smell: sweet sugary peaches are dominating this beer. Oddly refreshing smell. Smells like candy.
Taste: again. Peaches are the dominant flavor here. Any malt or hops take a far backseat. Very sweet. Only the carbonation shows at the end to give it more life.
Mouthfeel: sweetness coats mouth with lingering peach flavor. Not heavy at all and very refreshing for the style.
Overall: a little one-sided in complexity with peaches dominating every sense. Very light and refreshing though and a nice flavored thirst quencher

06-02-2011 16:17:22 | More by JHamm
PhageLab

4.05/5  rDev +14.4%

Poured into a pilsner glass.

A - Hazy golden orange with what appears to be bits of sediment floating in it. Unfiltered? I hope so. Minimal head, some spotted lacing.

S - Delicious aroma of fresh peaches. I can't stress enough how fresh this smelled.

T - Base flavor is that of a pale wheat, something close to Widmer Hefeweizen, yet with a flavor of fresh peaches that is quite tasty, but doesn't distract from the brew itself. Nicely done.

M - Medium bodied, somewhat cloying after a while. Carbonation is spot on though.

D - Very tasty and well balanced. Might get a bit too sweet after a while, but I still think this is very impressive for a fruit beer.

05-29-2011 17:28:57 | More by PhageLab
SFrankBrew

2.8/5  rDev -20.9%

Picked up a 6pack. It was pretty pricey so I figured it must be really good. Not so much. The appearance was a hazy golden wheat color. The aroma was of peaches. Okay, good on both accounts. The taste bothered me. It was a sweet-swill. I get that it is a fruit beer, and its probably my own fault for buying it. But, I thought it was going to be more peach than sugary sucrose. The mouthfeel was fine. Overall, I would probably tell people to steer clear of this particular beer. I like some fruit beers, but this one missed the mark for me.

05-23-2011 19:42:58 | More by SFrankBrew
MayLattimore

Okay, as a woman I was told that I had to, had to buy this. That I would love it since its a 'girly beer,' i.e. a fruit beer. Well, let me dispel the myth. Not all women like 'girly beers.' It had an wheat gold appearance with head when poured into the pint glass. It smelled like a peach, but I'm not sure it that was artificial or not. The taste was average for a wheat beer part of it.The mouthfeel was fine. Overall, it was average. Also, had a friend order this on draft recently and re-tasted it, and the feeling was the same.

05-11-2011 21:03:38 | More by MayLattimore
dmbsteve

Tennessee

3.6/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served in a frosty pint glass. Pours hazy orange with one finger head that settled down to a ring and left light lacing.

Smells like peaches, more than I had even expected.

Tastes like peaches then a contrasting bitterness, but if it weren't for the bitterness it would be too sweet. So it actually has good balance.

Light to medium bodied with good carbonation. A refreshing beverage.

Overall very drinkable, but maybe a little "girly". Finally I may have found a beer my wife will like. I'll have to see if I can find some bottles of this to take home.

05-10-2011 22:37:52 | More by dmbsteve
ebby82

3.53/5  rDev -0.3%

Pours a light hazy gold into a pint glass with a minimal head.

A- Like standing in the middle of a peach orchard. Or perhaps the smell of mom's peach cobbler coming out of the oven.

T- A slight wheat, but the peach flavor overpowers most others. The peach is not exactly subtle, and there's a bit of a strange aftertaste.

Overall- I love most fruit beers, and I love peaches, but the weird aftertaste hurts this beer. I also wish the peach flavor was just a bit less, but peach is a pretty powerful aroma and taste. Definitely interesting and worth a try.

05-07-2011 20:01:00 | More by ebby82
pzrhsau

District of Columbia

4.08/5  rDev +15.3%

A: cloudy honey gold color with a peach like fuzzy look to it. The beer captures a decent head that really sticks to the glass and helps release the aroma.
S: Smells like peach tea, very natural and sweet with some notes of malt and fresh fruit.
T: Tastes like a fuzzy peach tea. The beer really has a good balance of sweetness while maintaining the bitter characteristics of a beer. Very vegetale.
D/O: Slightly heavy for a summer beer but very drinkable This manages to balance the beer/fruit thing very well while not turning into a flavored malt beverage. Very enjoyable beer for summer.

05-01-2011 18:50:44 | More by pzrhsau
StvDvs

3.95/5  rDev +11.6%

I haven't had this beer by itself, so I can't properly review it by its own merits. However, I feel that I would be remiss if I didn't suggest this:

Mix half and half Son Of A Peach and a Milk Stout (I had Duck Rabbit). What results is just the smoothest, maltiest, creamiest, peachy, mocha flavor. Highly Recommended. I typically do not enjoy a fruity beer, but another patron insisted that I try it, and even offered to pay for it if I didn't enjoy it.

04-30-2011 00:38:04 | More by StvDvs
Beer4Baltimore

Maryland

3.95/5  rDev +11.6%

- from the notes
12 ounce bottles
A - barely a head on an amber liquid filled glass.
S - peaches and wheat.
T - peachy sweet wheat with a slight twang.
M - light bodied with a crisp carbonation and somewhat dry finish although I did expect it to be sweeter at the back end.
D - very drinkable if you like fruit beers and in particular peaches.

04-29-2011 02:21:03 | More by Beer4Baltimore
sholland119

On tap at TJ's, 4/2/11.

A-A clear orange amber with a thin white head and no lacing.

S-Sweet peaches, a bit of sweet syrup and fruit jiuce and some very subdued wheat.

T-Slightly dry maltiness with some good sweet peach flavor. Easy to drink, rather light.

O-As fruit beers go, this one is pretty nice. Pleasant in a lawnmowery sort of way.

HV

04-08-2011 19:01:25 | More by sholland119
confer

3.63/5  rDev +2.5%

Third in the RJ Rockers variety case.
A- This looks just like a glass of unpasteurized apple cider. Brownish -yellow, no carbonation, cloudy and no head.
S- Heavy peach aroma, not like a fresh peach more like sweet peach candy.
T- Strong peach aroma is not as strong in the flavor, however it does win out over the dull American wheat flavor I'm never real fond of. The peach flavor does hang around well after drinking, nice aftertaste.
MO- As far a fruit beers go this one is pretty good, a nice change of pace. I don't know if I would go looking for another one though.

04-03-2011 23:17:44 | More by confer
JRed

3.23/5  rDev -8.8%

Pours hazy orange in body with fading white foamy head. Sweet aroma of peaches and fruit juice. I'm yearning for some malt or hop complexity with this aroma. Astringent flavors of peaches, peach skin, vanilla extract, and then the hops I'd hoped for in the aroma make an unwelcomed appearance; bitter and strange. Then the drink tries to finish with peach syrup but it's too much of a turn around from the hops. Light-medium bodied with light carbonation. A drink with no direction and strange, acrid flavors.

03-23-2011 03:37:14 | More by JRed
mdwalsh

Iowa

3.55/5  rDev +0.3%

A: Orange with a one finger off white head and LOTS of yeast. This isn't cloudy, this is full of particulate. Not a fan for a fruit beer, but if it's a wheat beer, maybe.

S: Strong on the peaches. Which isn't bad, they smell somewhat natural. However, that's pretty much all there is to this beer, which I don't like, but I suppose that's what they're going for.

T: Again, peaches, but pretty natural. Still, I want more depth and variety.

M: Good, actually, smooth but maybe a little too creamy.

D: The peach is just too much for me. I can't take a whole glass of it.

03-11-2011 20:37:41 | More by mdwalsh
PDXHops

4.05/5  rDev +14.4%

12 ounce bottle poured into a shaker pint. A hazy dull body is topped with just a wispy notion of a head that does manage to leave scattered specks of lacing.

Smells almost exactly like peach pie, but not nearly as sweet as the dessert. The peach presence is persistent but not powerful, a surpisingly nice complement to the base beer. Medium bodied with very modest carbonation; this seems to be the best choice to let the sublteties of the peaches shine through. A brief bite of wheat in the finish. Light toasted and peach notes linger. Fresh and flavorful.

Overall impression: A refreshing and unique take on the style. Easily recommended.

03-02-2011 00:37:05 | More by PDXHops
scottyshades

3.25/5  rDev -8.2%

Growler filled at Total Wine in Greenville, SC for ~$10

A: Pours a cloudy peach color. The head is pretty nice, fluffy and retains well.

S: Over-ripe peach and other orchard fruit, lots of wheat and earthy notes. Slight spices as well.

T: Well, definitely peachy. Wheat notes shine, along with an underlying sweetness from the other fruits involved. The best way I can describe the flavor is "peach flavored Playdough." Its not bad, just not balanced at all, with little to no hop profile.

MF/D: Mouthfeel is good, carbonation is a little prickly, but manageable. The finish is peach flavored Playdough with a big sweetness. I kind of regret getting a growler of this, even with 3 people sharing it. A bottle or two would be better.

Notes: I do like peaches a lot, but this beer is straight up peaches with a huge sweetness. If more hops and malts were added to the equation, this would be a much better example. Good, but not balanced enough

Serving type: growler

09-03-2010 17:22:51 | More by scottyshades
zeff80

Missouri

3.65/5  rDev +3.1%

A - Poured out a very clear, golden/orange color with a little white head. It left little to no lace.

S - It smelled of peach and wheat. Strong on the peach.

T - Nice balance of peach and wheat. Very sweet with little spice or yeastiness.

M - It was crisp and very sharp. A light bodied ale with a dry finish.

D - This is an okay wheat ale. The peach isn't overpowering like some fruit wheats can be.

08-15-2010 01:53:41 | More by zeff80
philbe311

3.03/5  rDev -14.4%

A - A fingers worth of slightly fizzy white head that is sa bit creamy and mixed with big chunky bubbles... Moderate retention gives way to a splotchy lace with a collar around the glass... A deeply hazed murky light auburn color... Trace carbonation rises throughout...

S - A terrific mixture of fresh and canned peaches... Apricot... Honeydew... Some very light candied sugars... Fresh baked donuts... Hints of wheat... A tad bit on the musky side... Seems odd, but I'm picking up minor notes of coffee and vanilla...

T - A mix of unripe peach and canned peaches... Grass and wheat notes... Slightly medicinal... Notes of vanilla... Shortbread...

M - Medium bodied... Slightly fizzy... Oddly astringent... A bit chalky... A bit of a dry finish... A slightly pasty coating lingers in the mouth...

D - This one starts out strong in terms of appearance and smell, but quickly goes down hill thereafter... This one seems a bit forced and I'm not sure I would accept an invitation to drink this again in the future...

08-10-2010 01:39:30 | More by philbe311
AleWatcher

3.65/5  rDev +3.1%

Another bottle from and another nod to: JohnQVegas. Thanks Dustin-- you have been an excellent off-season pickup and I'm glad to have added you to my trading team.

This pours.... oddly enough, kind of peach colored. Nearly white head is thin with really fine bubbles and a sparkley lacing. Some sediment on the bottom-- little dark dots, like ground up vanilla beans.

The first sip is very unsettling. It made me not want to take another. Once I got past that first sip though, I wam surprised how easy drinking this it.

Smells of peaches and apricots... actually reminds me of Jolly Rancher candies. After a few more sips, all I smell are those gummy peaches-- Peachy-Os I think they are called. This smells AMAZING now that it opened up a little. Wow. I'm loving that smell--- too bad this is categorized a pale wheat instead of a fruit beer.

I didn't really like this at first, but it has grown on me. The feel is certainly decent. I'm not the biggest fan of peach flavor, but this isn't too bad. This is really easy drinking despite the giant sweetness that creeps up on me. I do wish this had a little tartness to it to cut through the sweet, but alas... I guess I just need to buy some more Festina Peche.

08-03-2010 03:49:55 | More by AleWatcher
jlindros

4.03/5  rDev +13.8%

This is a hopeful fruit beer thanks to kkipple.

A: Pours a light fizzy head over a hazy peach auburn amber colored beer.

N: Wow peach! It has canned peach at first, then some fresh juicy peach, some sweetness, peach juice, a slight hint of wheat, and I think a very slight hint of grassy hops. As it warms a bit I'm starting to get a little vanilla... weird.

T: Starts different than I expected. It has a toasty malted wheat flavor right off the bat. Some sweet thick piled wheat, with a slight germination taste. Also a slight bitterness with a hint of grassy hops and very slight earthy bitter hop taste that doesn't blend well with the rest of the flavors. Then the juicy peaches, with more juice and some sweetness, light fresh juicy peach, canned peaches, and the syrup from the canned peaches. Very refreshing though. I also get some vanilla, which is strange.

M: Lighter body with lower but decent carbonation.

F: Finishes semi bitter with more hops attacking. Grassy and earthy hops with a slight floral hop flavor. Most of the hops go well, but there's a slight unpleasant hop bitterness almost like hop extract that doesn't play well with others. It is mostly dry at this point as well, but has a slight sticky lingering sweetness like the syrup from canned peaches. Most of the peach flavor is gone as well but hints of remnants that I just chewed on peaches, but without skins and threads stuck in my teeth. Very crisp and refreshing beer, and the peaches are all up in your grill on the nose, but more subtle and juicy on the taste and even more so on the finish. So the nose is really where I would like overpowered peaches, and def not on the flavor so they hit that well.

07-30-2010 00:23:24 | More by jlindros
cdizinno

4.45/5  rDev +25.7%

A: Ultra cloudy, honey-straw color. Looks like unfiltered apple cider from a roadside stand. A thin tan film of foam with no lacing.

A: PEACHES!

T&M: Light bodied. Peaches all the way. Some underlying wheat and malt. Very nice peach wheat ale. Fresh peaches undoubtedly.

I don't necesarily enjoy peaches, but this is not over the top or under the radar. It is what it is and an excellent recipe!

07-19-2010 23:49:17 | More by cdizinno