Son Of A Peach - RJ Rockers Brewing Company

RJ Rockers Brewing Company visit their website
South Carolina, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  6.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

An unfiltered American wheat ale made with real mean peaches. The only thing missing is the fuzz. Savor the anger. Available during the late Spring and Summer months.

(Beer added by: mikesgroove on 02-27-2009)
3.65/5  rDev +3.1%

Another bottle from and another nod to: JohnQVegas. Thanks Dustin-- you have been an excellent off-season pickup and I'm glad to have added you to my trading team.

This pours.... oddly enough, kind of peach colored. Nearly white head is thin with really fine bubbles and a sparkley lacing. Some sediment on the bottom-- little dark dots, like ground up vanilla beans.

The first sip is very unsettling. It made me not want to take another. Once I got past that first sip though, I wam surprised how easy drinking this it.

Smells of peaches and apricots... actually reminds me of Jolly Rancher candies. After a few more sips, all I smell are those gummy peaches-- Peachy-Os I think they are called. This smells AMAZING now that it opened up a little. Wow. I'm loving that smell--- too bad this is categorized a pale wheat instead of a fruit beer.

I didn't really like this at first, but it has grown on me. The feel is certainly decent. I'm not the biggest fan of peach flavor, but this isn't too bad. This is really easy drinking despite the giant sweetness that creeps up on me. I do wish this had a little tartness to it to cut through the sweet, but alas... I guess I just need to buy some more Festina Peche.

AleWatcher, Aug 03, 2010
4.03/5  rDev +13.8%

This is a hopeful fruit beer thanks to kkipple.

A: Pours a light fizzy head over a hazy peach auburn amber colored beer.

N: Wow peach! It has canned peach at first, then some fresh juicy peach, some sweetness, peach juice, a slight hint of wheat, and I think a very slight hint of grassy hops. As it warms a bit I'm starting to get a little vanilla... weird.

T: Starts different than I expected. It has a toasty malted wheat flavor right off the bat. Some sweet thick piled wheat, with a slight germination taste. Also a slight bitterness with a hint of grassy hops and very slight earthy bitter hop taste that doesn't blend well with the rest of the flavors. Then the juicy peaches, with more juice and some sweetness, light fresh juicy peach, canned peaches, and the syrup from the canned peaches. Very refreshing though. I also get some vanilla, which is strange.

M: Lighter body with lower but decent carbonation.

F: Finishes semi bitter with more hops attacking. Grassy and earthy hops with a slight floral hop flavor. Most of the hops go well, but there's a slight unpleasant hop bitterness almost like hop extract that doesn't play well with others. It is mostly dry at this point as well, but has a slight sticky lingering sweetness like the syrup from canned peaches. Most of the peach flavor is gone as well but hints of remnants that I just chewed on peaches, but without skins and threads stuck in my teeth. Very crisp and refreshing beer, and the peaches are all up in your grill on the nose, but more subtle and juicy on the taste and even more so on the finish. So the nose is really where I would like overpowered peaches, and def not on the flavor so they hit that well.

jlindros, Jul 30, 2010
4.45/5  rDev +25.7%

A: Ultra cloudy, honey-straw color. Looks like unfiltered apple cider from a roadside stand. A thin tan film of foam with no lacing.

A: PEACHES!

T&M: Light bodied. Peaches all the way. Some underlying wheat and malt. Very nice peach wheat ale. Fresh peaches undoubtedly.

I don't necesarily enjoy peaches, but this is not over the top or under the radar. It is what it is and an excellent recipe!

cdizinno, Jul 19, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +25.1%

One of the pleasant surprises of my first trip to the Myrtle, SC area. The basket of peaches we picked up at the flea market was good too!

Appearance - a very cloudy, dare I say 'fuzzy' pour. Peachy color for sure, a finger of flat-white foam.

Aroma - pure peach. Intense, fruity and fresh. Good stuff.

Taste - a fair but negligible base malt, some grainy sweetness. Nearly no identity to it though, as the sweet peach flavor is fairly immediate and dominating. The peach flavor is on the sweeter side but with lots of supporting fruitiness. A nice bit of hop balance on the swallow, and the peach stays to the very end.

Mouthfeel - smooth stuff, not too heavy, modestly carbonated.

Drinkability - a fine summer brew, very smooth and easy to knock back. Popular with all but the the most diligent of fruit beer nazis, lol.

brewdlyhooked13, Jul 08, 2010
3.88/5  rDev +9.6%

A: Bright orange pour with very little white head as well as little lacing. Definitely unfiltered ... which I liked. You can see lots of little floaties.

S: Didn't get a ton peach right up front which I was surprised to find. I think if I had let it warm just a tad I probably would have gotten a bit more peach scent.

T: This is where the peach shines through. From the second it touched my tongue until it went down the pipe I got smacked in the face with peaches.

D: I really enjoy this beer in the midst of a blazing summer day. It's refreshing and very tasty.

DoctorB2B, Jun 28, 2010
3.68/5  rDev +4%

Served in an Ayinger weizen glass.

That peach looks awfully mean. Still, this beer pours a cloudy orange (almost axactly like the meat of the color's eponymous fruit) topped by a half-finger of white micro-foam. The nose comprises peach (bestill my shocked heart), wheat (whoa now, more surprises?), and a nice, creamy vanilla. The taste holds notes of wheat, rice, peach skin, and a vanilla-esque cream. Honestly, I was hoping for a bit more peachiness, but at least they didn't go overboard (I guess). The body is light, with moderate carbonation and a slightly grainy feel. One of the better fruity wheats I've yet had.

TMoney2591, Jun 22, 2010
4.1/5  rDev +15.8%

On tap at Mellow Mushroom in Blowing Rock, NC

Appearance: Cloudy pale/peach straw with an off-white head

Smell: Peaches and and light wheat; a bit girly but nice

Taste: Wheat and slightly tart peaches

Mouthfeel: Medium body, medium carbonation

Drinkability: Had several of these, served in mason jars, very tasty and very drinkable. Crisp, clean, and refreshing. It is peach season here.

craytonic, Jun 21, 2010
3.3/5  rDev -6.8%

From 6/3/10 notes. Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

a - Pours a very murky brown-golden color with little off white head and little carbonation.

s - Smells very strongly of sweet peaches. Not too much else going on here.

t - Tastes of sweet peaches, fruity malts, and sugar. Way too sweet.

m - Medium body and low carbonation.

d - Ok, but too sweet for me. If you like peaches and sweet, fruity beers you might like this one. Wouldn't really look to try again.

mdfb79, Jun 08, 2010
4.08/5  rDev +15.3%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Was glad to finally be able to get this without having to purchase the "Box of Rocks."

Appropriate peach-colored pour. Small white head quickly fades to just a ring. Not much going on in the lacing department.

Smells just like peaches, which shouldn't be much of a shock. Huge bonus for not smelling artificial at all. Son of a Peach smells like a peach, right down to the fuzz. I really enjoy peaches, but hate most peach-flavored things because they're artificially flavored and gross.

Luckily, I don't feel that way at all about Son of a Peach. This is good, natural peach flavor. There's some wheat-y tartness as well. Not a whole lot of lasting flavor.

Medium bodied. More heft than I would have guessed. Low carbonation. Kind of slick texture. Great summer beer. Some good flavor, and a very easy drinker. Of course, I'd expect no less from a beer brewed in South Carolina, the real Peach State. Suck one, Georgia.

Gyle41386, May 17, 2010
2.68/5  rDev -24.3%

Served from tap into a standard pint. Poured a yellow-orange with one-finger white head that reduces and stays throughout. Maintains decent lacing. The aroma of this one is dominated by peaches. The flavor starts out with subtle peach with some grainy notes with the peaches intensifying upon swallowing. Overall, this is not my favorite beer from the RJ Rockers brewery. Has a nice peach followup that is quite crisp, but also has a poor flavor up front. It is not horrible, but I am not a fan.

thagr81us, May 07, 2010
2.93/5  rDev -17.2%

Bottle into pint glass, from CBX.

Pours murky golden-orange, thin off-white head disappears fairly quickly into nothing.

Nose is all peaches, with an in-heavy-syrup type sweetness that's disconcertingly sugary. That's really about it, leaving me initially wondering whty this wasn't classified as a Fruit/Vegetable Beer. It's intriguingly intense, if a bit one-dimensional.

Taste is more two-dimensional, but I don't know that that's a good thing. Flavor is just dripping with peaches up front, but lacks entirely the sweetness promised in the nose. Instead, a thin but persistent bitterness towards the finish leaves the peaches tasting out of place. There may be light hints of wheat coming through, especially right at the beginning of the finish, but it's largely all peaches (some nicely authentic, some weirdly artificial) from front to back, with almost no real sweetness, which is where this falls apart. I obviously don't want it to be cloyingly sweet, I just want it to be less bitter and artificial on the finish.

Mouthfeel is thin, light but spritely carbonation, awkward bitterness on the finish.

Drinkability is pretty low for me. If you're going to do a fruit beer, do it right - see New Glarus. This is a mediocre attempt at best in my opinion.

JohnQVegas, May 06, 2010
3.55/5  rDev +0.3%

Thanks to gn0sis for this! Poured into a pint glass, I think there is a freshness date on this bottle, and if I read it correctly this bottle is a little past, but I am not sure what the number refers to.

A: Despite my best efforts to keep the pour small, this beer produced half a glass of head... a little over carbonated. Head is yellow rocky foam, laces minimally and retains fairly well. Body is muddy yellow and murky. Some swirling later on revives a full two fingers of rocky head. Impressive.

S: Almost all sweet peaches in this nose, with some mild wheat/grain on the side. Smells like cold peach pie filling.

T: Rather weak, but what is here takes the form of peaches (a nice sweet peach flavor), light wheat tones and some malt. A little hop bitterness is present, but it doesn't unbalance anything. Straightforward.

M: I find this to be way overly carbonated to a laughable extent. The flavors are very masked by all the carbonation burn, and I can barely distinguish a mouthfeel other than bubbles. Some warming and good deal of swirling later this beer gets a little better in this department, with a lighter body and more balanced carbonation.

D: If you get get rid of some of the carbonation this beer gets very drinkable. Right after the poor however, it was more like store-brand diet sprite- so many bubbles it was hard to drink.

Overall: Other than the over-carbonation, this is an alright American Pale Wheat ale, and the peaches make it especially light and refreshing, though it lacks some of the toasty rich malts I have seen elsewhere in this style. This would be nice with lunch on a hot humid day in the South. The billowy head was quite nice as well and worth noting.

allforbetterbeer, May 02, 2010
3.5/5  rDev -1.1%

Poured into a pint glass on 4/11/10

Appears to be dated 9/11/09

Thanks to smutty33 for an obscure & enjoyable extra

What an interesting show pouring this beer was. As the glass filled with lightly-hued golden yellow I wondered just what I might be getting into. I gave the bottle the old swirl & dumped in a large amount of decidedly darker liquid. Said liquid murkily blended with the clearer beer, turning it into a dense, hazy & somewhat muted concoction a la pineapple juice or some unfiltered fruit smoothie. The one finger head dissipated after a few minutes leaving a thin skim for retention. Lacing is alright.

The aroma is no less interesting. Indeed, peaches are in no short supply. On one hand, it seems juicy with a touch of alcohol. On the other, it seems almost like an orange-sicle frozen snack treat you'd get from an ice cream truck; only done up in peach instead of orange. Wheat notes become more apparent with warmth as do a few bready yeast undertones. Another odd element of the nose is how much each ingredient is appreciable at any point in time (especially the peaches) - sometimes it seems airy, other times somewhat dense.

The taste, based on the nose, isn't at all surprising. Peach notes aplenty set atop a reasonably sturdy back drop of wheat & toasty malts. While that sums it up in sparse details, the overall impression of the beer is much more than the previous sentence suggests. All at once it seems: kind of like beer; kind of not like beer; a little like a healthy fruit blend; somewhat dessert-like; a little natural & a tad artificial. I really don't know what this beer -should- taste like; all I know is that I rather like it as a change of pace.

Son of a peach is essentially medium bodied. While the carbonation offers a mild prickliness upfront, it's fairly tame on the whole which brings out the best in the flavors, I think. It does seem like a slow moving beer - it moves slowly on the palate, in no hurry to leave. Wheat notes & a mild juiciness linger on the finish.

I'm not sure this is entirely indicative of the drinkability but after finishing the bottle I found myself wanting more - if only to further figure out what the heck is going on with this beer. With all honesty I can say I've never had a beer quite like it. I really can't imagine it would something I'd drink frequently, but I'd like to give it another shot sometime. Recommended for the oddity factor alone.

Ryan011235, Apr 24, 2010
3.53/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had a muddy orange color and a thick, cloudy consistency. There was a thin, foamy head that quickly dissipated and average lacing.

S: Smelled of peaches and a little note of wheat.

T: Like the smell, peaches dominated the flavor. Had a slight taste of wheat, but not much else. Reminded me more of a fruit/vegetable beer than an American pale wheat ale.

M: A decent amount of carbonation with a somewhat oily finish. Light-bodied.

D: A lightweight, drinkable beer, but not something I'd return to.

avalon07, Mar 11, 2010
3.15/5  rDev -11%

Drank cold from a pint glass.

Loved the color here. A hazy golden brown having an almost orange tint to it. Had a nice,long lasting 2 finger head.

Smelled as expected, strong peach with some earthy/wheat notes tailing.

Tastes like peach. Not much else

I thought this beer was just ok. Don't think I'd purchase it again unless I wanted to introduce a new craft fan into some different fruit beers.

pwoody11, Mar 06, 2010
4.15/5  rDev +17.2%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a shaker pint.

A--Bright, bright apricot orange, with all sorts of sediment floating around in it. I mean, it seriously looks smoothie-like in there. Seeds, yeast--is that pulp? I'm kidding, but this is cloudy and there's definitely crap floating around. Not bad, just...different. Head is a generous two fingers of creme colored dense foam. Good retention and lacing.

S--Smells like peaches. Bright, fresh, juicy peaches. Incredible donkey punch of fruit here. Gawd almighty do I hope this doesn't taste as sweet as it smells.

T--And we're safe. Phew. This actually tastes quite good. Flavor profile is more bright peach, but much mellower, with the essence of the flavor rather than any residual sweetness taking over. Thank the sting of the wheat for that. Great interplay between the fruit and tangy wheat going on here. It's a fairly straightforward profile, but that's true to the style, and the season for which it's brewed. The ingenuity comes in with the fruit used.

M&D--Typical hefe or wit mouthfeel--thin and spritzy. Easy going. Insanely drinkable. And this is coming from a guy whose closest tolerance for fruit beers was pumpkin ale. Fruit beers generally piss me off. This one is tasty. Strong summer refresher in the wheat beer category. Kind of like an American Wit.

TheycallmeTim, Dec 28, 2009
3.8/5  rDev +7.3%

Ahh, RJ Rockers... I'm actually surprised to be reviewing one of their beers. Down here in their home state of South Carolina, they're rather maligned by the beer geeks... perhaps unfairly, but I've never enjoyed their beers. Until Son of a Peach!

A. Cloudy, hazy and appears to be bottle conditioned. There is a LOT of sediment floating in this dingy deep yellow brew. There's a wheaty white head that fades but refuses to die completely, and the beer itself is charmingly ugly.

S. Bryers peach ice cream. Sweet and creamy. That's honestly about it. Odd, I know.

T. Huh, this is interesting... this isn't just a peach beer, it's a peaches & cream beer... think peaches over ice cream, peaches with cool whip... it's got a real sweet peachness to it that is backed by some bittering hops and a little citrus character, but nothing too big. The finish, oddly, is bitter and just leaves a faint impression of peach, like all the sugar was sucked out. I'm not quite sure how to explain it, but if you love peaches you should be a-okay here.

M. Wet and somewhat lowly carbonated from the bottle. Finish is sour and just a bit medicinal with lots of peach flavor, but little sweetness.

D. Not bad at all... drink more than a few of these and the sweetness will get ya, but I blended it 50/50 with Oberon and it was absolutely delightful. I like it and will buy it again next year.

RJ Rockers, you are capable of making good beer. I admit it.

kkipple, Oct 22, 2009
4.5/5  rDev +27.1%

Pours a hazy, bright orange with a nice looking white head. Smells strongly of peaches, which is a good thing, and also a faint aroma of wheat, just enough to let you know that this is indeed a wheat beer. The taste is something to get very excited about. The peach flavour comes through very strongly, without at all being off-putting. After a few minutes pure amazement at the peach, my head returns from the clouds and the rest of the taste comes through, with a lot of other fruity and flowery notes. The aftertaste is a very sweet peach. The body is not too full but not too light either, very good for this type of beer. The all-around greatness of this will keep me reaching for more and more, especially during the sweltering summer heat.

jamiesessions, Oct 22, 2009
4.22/5  rDev +19.2%

Actually cracked my first ever bottle of this one tonight. I had been wanting to try it before, but this was the first time. Served cold and poured into a pint glass, this one was consumed on 10/20/2009.

The pour was nice hazy light amber in color with a smooth overall look to it. Nice cloudiness to it and a nice head of white creeping up and over the top of the glass. Aroma is tight, loads of peach and spices coming through. Hints of cinnamon and nutmeg and loads of fresh peach notes. Nice crisp, clean flavor here. Fresh off the tree peach flavor, really very well done and I am officially impressed here. Crisp, fresh fruit, light notes of spice and a healthy dose of light grain notes. Soo friggin drinkable, wow. I really cannot say it enough, I am impressed.

Perhaps my favoite beer of theirs I have ever had. This was just sublime at times. A great, great beer.

mikesgroove, Oct 21, 2009
4.15/5  rDev +17.2%

Had this at Fall for Greenville (Think a "Taste of ..." event).

A: hazy bronze with some head. Not a great pour from a festival worker.

S: Peaches, apricots and other fall time fruit

T: Tastes like most other wheat's until you get to the peachy afterglow. It's surprisingly refreshing on a hot festival day.

M: Light feel, but perhaps a tad too much carbonation.

Overall: I was so impressed, I had a second. Very drinkable. Not sure I would want more than 1 or 2 in a sitting, but it was a nice "walking around" beer at the Fall For Greenville "festival".

xfactor9600, Oct 12, 2009
3.6/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Picked this up at macadoodles in Joplin

Pours a hazed bronze color with a thumb of cream colored head. Above average lacing & head retention

S: Peaches, apricots & apple blossoms

T: Peaches, pears & floral notes up front, along with a touch of herbal hops & crackery notes, plus much tartness. Sweetness is swept away as this warms, which is good, by tartness & dryness, peach sweetness tries to battle back. Finishes dry, fruitty & faint honey notes

MF: Light/medium bodied with fairly lively carbonation

Drinks pretty easy but still a bit too fruitty & sweet to session on, but 2 or 3 would not go amiss, not bad

russpowell, Aug 24, 2009
3.98/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

It's cloudy like pond water, though I appreciate seeing peach sediment floating in the liquid. I guess the peaches give this style quite a twist, but it looks just peachy from my perspective!

The smell is excellent. Again, it diverts from the style template but, objectively, it smells like an air freshener. The aroma leaves no doubt that this here beer's made with real peaches. They're probably from Gaffney, and smelling this beer conjures up images of the enormous peach water tower on the side of the I-85 near Spartanburg. Straight real peach.

The taste doesn't quite match the hitherto examination, probably because it's stronger than your average fruit (particularly peach) beer. It's definitely solid, but it's reminiscent of PJ days--I don't know why we called it that, but it was fruit soaked in grain alcohol. I don't even recall peaches being involved, but this beer equals peach plus alcohol. If it was just a wee bit lighter on the ethanol, it might taste even better; regardless, it's a solid peach beer. I must've made some progress with style consideration, because I might rank this beverage categorically higher if it were classified as a fruit beer....

It's that relatively potent 5.8% ABV that contributes to a slightly chalky mouthfeel. The peaches are great and, to RJ's credit, you taste them more than you feel them. I appreciate the idea of fruit beers for beer lovers (as opposed to fruity, even girly, convert-type beers), and this is undoubtedly one of those.

It is fruity, and it does have relative strength, so that makes for a weird type of drinkability judgement. I wish they'd make both a more powerful and a more subtle version--somehow add more carbonation with less ethanol production (move towards Festina Pesche) with a more pungent-peachy alcohol bomb (move toward something like Fort or the upcoming Sweetwater Blue Balls). RJ Rockers has something here, and they should roll with it.

marvin213, Aug 23, 2009
3.43/5  rDev -3.1%

Pours an opaque peachy, orange-yellow. Nice head that falls quickly to a thin ring and even thinner cap.
Somewhat subtle aroma. The combo of peaches and grains give an almost coconut/tropical aroma. The peach is pretty dominant, with the grain and spice aromas coming in a little later.
The peach flavor is definitely not subtle. It comes on strong, but not sweet as a syrup. Again, the peach/grain combo give a tropical flavor. Grain and spice round out the flavors.
Medium-bodied.
Fairly drinkable. It's not cloying as you would expect from a fruit flavored beer. It's probably only good for one at a time, though.
Better than I was expecting. Good enough to give it a try, but I probably wouldn't by a sixer of this unless someone asked for it.

gabeerfan, Jul 28, 2009
3.38/5  rDev -4.5%

Pours a cloudy maize color. 1/4 inch head of a white color. Good retention and slight lacing. Smells of amazingly fresh and strong peaches, yeast, and sweet malt. Fits the style of an American Pale Wheat Ale. Mouth feel is smooth and crisp with a low carbonation level. There is a strong tartness/acidity associated with this brew. Tastes of peaches up front and throughout, tart malt, yeast, slight sweet malt, and very slight hop. Overall, the peaches taste really fresh and strong, but they are either overpowering the other beer flavors or this beer lacks complexity.

Tone, Jul 22, 2009
3.13/5  rDev -11.6%

Let me admit at the outset that I am not a particular fan of fruit beer, so take my opinion for what it is worth. But I bought this at the insistence of my six year old son, who has just learned to read and, unfortunately, knows why "Son of a Peach" is funny.

And the bottom line is that the beer isn't that bad.

It pours a very hazy orange - dare I say, peachy in color, with no head to remark on. The aroma is peachy, though is a blowzy, overripe kind of way. The flavor is sweet, with a clear peach taste, but also a curiously buttery character that, with the addition of the grainy undertone, comes off almost like buttered popcorn. In fact, once I tasted the beer, my perception of the aroma shifted from peach to buttered popcorn. Weird, but but not entirely unpleasant. The mouthfeel is quite light and there is no perceptible hop bitterness.

Is this a good beer? No, not particularly. But I could see it being refreshing on a hot, steamy day. It is fruity enough to hook beer novices, but well-crafted enough not to offend the more experienced drinkers. And it avoids the worst offense of many fruit beers, and that is to taste like it was brewed with frozen puree or artificial flavors.

Seanibus, Jul 16, 2009